or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Honda introduces new iPhone-driven in-dash touchscreen
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Honda introduces new iPhone-driven in-dash touchscreen

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
Japanese automaker Honda on Tuesday announced that the 2014 Civic and 2015 Fit will gain access to the company's new Display Audio system, a 7-inch built-in touchscreen with functionality partially powered by Apple's iPhone.

HondaLink
Display Audio's HondaLink Navigation powered by an iPhone


Display Audio represents perhaps the deepest integration seen from any automaker between smartphones and in-vehicle infotainment systems. In addition to combining several now-standard phone-connected functions --?like placing and receiving calls and messages over bluetooth --?with a new pinch- and swipe-able touchscreen user interface, Display Audio acts as a "second screen" for Honda's suite of HondaLink apps.

The HondaLink suite consists of four apps: Connect, Navigation, Aha, and Launcher. Connect powers most of Display Audio's information search functionality, giving owners access to things like point-of-interest search, local weather, and maintenance reminders. Aha focuses on entertainment, providing access to internet radio --?in addition to the built-in Pandora integration --?podcasts, audiobooks, news, and Twitter and Facebook access.Display Audio will be available on the 2014 Honda Civic and 2015 Honda Fit

HondaLink's Navigation app is the most interesting of the group. Leveraging mapping data from Nokia, Navigation can be used outside of the vehicle to plan a trip, and the route can be displayed and edited on the Display Audio touchscreen, with turn-by-turn announcements routed through the vehicle's audio system once the user's iPhone is plugged in.

The touchscreen itself is a high-definition capacitive model measuring 7 inches diagonally, which Honda says is among the largest in its class. Display Audio will also integrate Apple's Siri Eyes Free mode, making the personal digital assistant a factory-installed option rather than the dealer-installed add-on Honda announced last month.

The Display Audio system is compatible with Apple's iPhone 5, 5c, and 5s, which connect to the vehicle via a special cable. While not a full implementation of Apple's iOS in the Car, Display Audio and the new HondaLink apps represent a significant leap forward in smartphone-vehicle integration.
post #2 of 25
How's about Honda work with Apple to custom install iPad minis in the dash at a factory level. Apple need a program like that. Where the UI is handled in-house by Apple, but that'll never happen.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #3 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

How's about Honda work with Apple to custom install iPad minis in the dash at a factory level. Apple need a program like that. Where the UI is handled in-house by Apple, but that'll never happen.

Where it can be easily replaced with a newer model.

 

Otherwise, fully support iOS in the Car instead of ... this thing.

post #4 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

How's about Honda work with Apple to custom install iPad minis in the dash at a factory level. Apple need a program like that. Where the UI is handled in-house by Apple, but that'll never happen.

Why? Breaks the Apple iDevice metaphor, for very little upside for Apple.

 

I (and Apple) don't want an iPad inside of each 'thing' I have... I want my singular iPad to 'talk to everything' I have.   

post #5 of 25
I spent an hour in a new 2013 Honda with Honda's computer and navigation system. If I'm entitled to express an opinion, the system is horrifically slow, complicated, and error prone. Hopefully this upghrade will make the system tolerable.
post #6 of 25

What happened to the i-MID on that Civic?

 

Holy moly I'm glad I bought the 2012 model before they totally mucked it up with the 2013 and beyond!

post #7 of 25
C|net trolls whining about how Honda chose iOS when 82% of humanity uses Android. Scratching their heads over this one. They did they same thing when Nike introduced their sports monitoring FuelBand. Go figure.
post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

C|net trolls whining about how Honda chose iOS when 82% of humanity uses Android. Scratching their heads over this one. They did they same thing when Nike introduced their sports monitoring FuelBand. Go figure.

They could just go Hyundai or Kia if they want an Android-based solution.

post #9 of 25

We bought a 2014 Honda CR-V a couple months ago without the nav option. We like Siri and Maps in iOS 7 on our iPhones. But we can and do use the phones in the CR-V paired via Bluetooth. This gives us hands-free calling, including the use of the phone-related buttons on the steering wheel for initiating, answering, and hang-up, playing of music on the phones through the car's speakers, with steering wheel button controls, and the routing of Siri's voice and the car's hands-free mic input to Siri. With the phone paired to the car, I can press and hold the phone's home button to summon Siri. It works pretty well.

Daniel Swanson

Reply

Daniel Swanson

Reply
post #10 of 25
Got a 2013 CR-V without nav - lease on my 2012 Accord is up end of 2014 - will be interesting to see what is available. Would be even better if they offered manual trans in anything above the LX. Might have to look at something else this time around.
post #11 of 25
BMW better wake up and let Apple in like these other car manufacturers. Their on-board system should be updated so you can at least use the maps app from the iPhone on the dash display.
post #12 of 25
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Display Audio will also integrate Apple's Siri Eyes Free mode, making the personal digital assistant a factory-installed option rather than the dealer-installed add-on Honda announced last month.

 

Say what?  I thought Siri Eyes Free was all about keeping your eyes on the road and hands on the wheel.

And now Honda will have you looking at a small screen and taking a hand off the wheel to tap that screen?

 

Hmm.  Well, this way Apple may be off the hook for any distracted-driving lawsuits relating to the touchscreen.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post
 

Why? Breaks the Apple iDevice metaphor, for very little upside for Apple.

 

I (and Apple) don't want an iPad inside of each 'thing' I have... I want my singular iPad to 'talk to everything' I have.   

Heck yes, why ever not just BYOD? Have a nice shock absorbing mount with charger and swap it around. Especially makes sense for an LTE version: just one connection device charge then.

post #14 of 25
I can't stand touch-screen controls in a car, requires way too much attention to simply get your finger where it needs to be. Physical buttons are so much safer...
post #15 of 25
Originally Posted by pjapk View Post
Physical buttons are so much safer...


Not messing with controls while driving (because it’s not legal in the first place and outside the SOP of all vehicles) is safer.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

C|net trolls whining about how Honda chose iOS when 82% of humanity uses Android. Scratching their heads over this one. They did they same thing when Nike introduced their sports monitoring FuelBand. Go figure.

Interesting. Says less about Honda and a lot more about the CNet forum users, doesn't it?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Not messing with controls while driving (because it’s not legal in the first place and outside the SOP of all vehicles) is safer.

One "attention" button on the wheel to activate Siri.
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22July2013 View Post

I spent an hour in a new 2013 Honda with Honda's computer and navigation system. If I'm entitled to express an opinion, the system is horrifically slow, complicated, and error prone. Hopefully this upghrade will make the system tolerable.

So you think you know how it works after an hour?  The software is surprisingly slow since it is flash-memory based instead of DVD.  However, it is NOT complicated to use, and it is not error prone.  I have had the 2013 Civic with Nav for 6 months and it is no different than my 2003 Accord Navi system.  Same exact interface for inputting destinations.

post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vokbain View Post
 

What happened to the i-MID on that Civic?

 

Holy moly I'm glad I bought the 2012 model before they totally mucked it up with the 2013 and beyond!

Really?  Are you sure about that?  You might want to read the 2012 and 2013 reviews and compare.  The 2012 was a disappointment in the industry with poor plastics on the interior and uneven lines.    The flaws with the 2012 model were all fixed with the 2013 model.  I almost bought a 2012 and glad I waited for the 2013.  The 2012 dash looks awful with a large slab of plastic laying in front of it.  The 2013 removed that design with cleaner lines and all flush with the rest of the interior.

post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post
 

We bought a 2014 Honda CR-V a couple months ago without the nav option. We like Siri and Maps in iOS 7 on our iPhones. But we can and do use the phones in the CR-V paired via Bluetooth. This gives us hands-free calling, including the use of the phone-related buttons on the steering wheel for initiating, answering, and hang-up, playing of music on the phones through the car's speakers, with steering wheel button controls, and the routing of Siri's voice and the car's hands-free mic input to Siri. With the phone paired to the car, I can press and hold the phone's home button to summon Siri. It works pretty well.

But the turn by turn directions on the iPhone cannot be sent to the stereo via bluetooth.  You can hear Siri with Siri commands, but the iPhone's Nav feature will not bluetooth to the stereo.  Your stereo will resume playing and the turn by turn will only be heard from the iPhone.

post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post
 

 

Say what?  I thought Siri Eyes Free was all about keeping your eyes on the road and hands on the wheel.

And now Honda will have you looking at a small screen and taking a hand off the wheel to tap that screen?

 

Hmm.  Well, this way Apple may be off the hook for any distracted-driving lawsuits relating to the touchscreen.

Siri Eyes Free allows you to hold the phone button down on the steering wheel to activate Siri without having to press the home button on the iPhone.  Has nothing to do with the touchscreen.

 

Now if AppleInsider would code their website correctly so Safari 6 would stop crashing, that would be nice.  Crashes constantly under Mountain Lion (and under Mavericks, when I ran that POS for a few weeks).

post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 


Not messing with controls while driving (because it’s not legal in the first place and outside the SOP of all vehicles) is safer.

Sorry, but if Bieber or his ilk come on the radio, there's no way on earth I can wait until I stop before I get rid...

post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post
 

Really?  Are you sure about that?  You might want to read the 2012 and 2013 reviews and compare.  The 2012 was a disappointment in the industry with poor plastics on the interior and uneven lines.    The flaws with the 2012 model were all fixed with the 2013 model.  I almost bought a 2012 and glad I waited for the 2013.  The 2012 dash looks awful with a large slab of plastic laying in front of it.  The 2013 removed that design with cleaner lines and all flush with the rest of the interior.

 

I don't know about that!

 

Except for maybe about the plastics (of which rattles bother the heck out of me, but those same rattles hit Acuras too!), I prefer the 2012 over the 2013 easily!

 

As a (former) 1997 and 2012 Civic owner, I prefer both over the 2013! The 2013 is a much uglier car, with too much chrome, bad looking lights, and that stupid antenna on the back for whatever reason.

 

I will admit, however, that I intend to replace my deck with a higher end one with built-in navigation and stuff, including eyes-free Siri support! And some big-ass subs and stuff, of course! =P

post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

How's about Honda work with Apple to custom install iPad minis in the dash at a factory level. Apple need a program like that. Where the UI is handled in-house by Apple, but that'll never happen.

 

When you take the iPad out, the car is bricked so it can't be stollen :) 

post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vokbain View Post
 

 

I don't know about that!

 

Except for maybe about the plastics (of which rattles bother the heck out of me, but those same rattles hit Acuras too!), I prefer the 2012 over the 2013 easily!

 

As a (former) 1997 and 2012 Civic owner, I prefer both over the 2013! The 2013 is a much uglier car, with too much chrome, bad looking lights, and that stupid antenna on the back for whatever reason.

 

I will admit, however, that I intend to replace my deck with a higher end one with built-in navigation and stuff, including eyes-free Siri support! And some big-ass subs and stuff, of course! =P

Why don't you google some reviews and learn that the 2012 was panned by reviewers and the 2013 fixed all the flaws.  Since you think the 2013 is uglier with more chrome, you must have a sedan.  The coupe doesn't have any of the exterior chrome.  The coupe looks far better than the sedan, so I can understand that.  That is probably why you don't like it.  The stupid antenna that you have no clue about, is for XM radio.  I am sure you know that all cars with satellite radio have the small fin antenna on the roof.  Civics with Navi are the only models that come with XM standard, and have the small fin antenna on the roof.  If you are referring to the "short stick" antenna on the roof, those are only on the CNG models.  All other models, like your own, do not have the fin antenna.

 

The dash of the 2012 was deemed cheap looking with the huge plastic slab on the front that sticks out.  The 2013 fixed that problem with a much sleeker looking dash by removing the slab of plastic.  The line on top of the dash separating the passenger airbag and upper gauge package has been removed on the 2013.  Here are the differences, 2012 then 2013:

 

 

The 2014 has the same dash as the 2013, shown in the article, but with the new updated stereo on the high end model.  The i-Mid screen is still shown in the 2014 photo, but it is not displaying any content.  I love the i-Mid screen for both XM content and iPod content (especially album artwork from an iPod).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Honda introduces new iPhone-driven in-dash touchscreen