or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung's #Galaxy11 viral ad fumbles when Franz Beckenbauer tweets from iPhone

Samsung's #Galaxy11 viral ad fumbles when Franz Beckenbauer tweets from iPhone

post #1 of 55
A global ad campaign to promote Samsung devices, involving soccer stars and an alien invasion story, instead revealed that the fantasy campaign's star manager Franz Beckenbauer tweets from his iPhone, not a Galaxy device.

Extravagant Samsung ad

Just over a month ago, Samsung launched its secretive ad campaign by seating actors in black robes at Chelsea FC, Bayern Munich and Juventus FC soccer games (that's "football" outside the U.S.). The company also financed billboards with secretive symbols and the hashtag "WinnerTakesEarth."

Samsung then recruited internationally famous soccer legend Franz Beckenbauer to serve as the manager of the company's "Galaxy 11" fantasy team, along with captain Lionel Messi, a Argentine footballer. Samsung has previously sponsored soccer teams in Europe, South America, Asia and Africa.

The company announced in November that it would be revealing "the story of Galaxy 11," involving a soccer players taking on invading aliens, as a "series of chapters over the coming months and brought to life across Samsung's GALAXY devices, online platforms and social media channels."

Younghee Lee, Samsung Mobile's executive vice president of Global Marketing stated, "through this one-of-a-kind campaign, Samsung wants to combine fans' universal love for football and GALAXY devices. We hope that this campaign stimulates our fans' imagination and inspire engagement."

However, the campaign hit a snag when Beckenbauer, the legendary leader of its fantasy team, tweeted out the next segment of the story from his iPhone. Once noticed, metadata tag was removed.

Samsung tweets from iPhone

This all happened before

Sending promotional tweets about other products from Apple's iOS devices seems to be quite popular. In October, T-Mobile chief executive John Legere intended to use Twitter to direct attention to Samsung Mobile's latest Note 3 phablet, but inadvertently did so via his new iPhone 5s.

He then sent out a photo claiming to carry both an iPhone and a phablet and the Gear watch.

His photo (below) showed the Samsung phablet on its lock screen, plugged in to a power adapter, with a generic carrier background wallpaper image. His iPhone was logged in and appeared in active use, with pending phone, email and Facebook notifications. It also had multiple pages of apps installed and a personalized background photo.

October 21, 2013

Last year, Oprah Winfrey used an iPad to send out tweets endorsing Microsoft's Surface, using the hashtag "#FavoriteThings" to say she had bought a dozen of them for Christmas gifts.

After BlackBerry paid Alicia Keys to serve as its Creative Director, she sent a personal tweet from her iPhone in February, then removed it and claimed her account had been "hacked."

In March, after the Chinese government's CCTV propaganda channel began airing reports stating that Apple was "biased against Chinese consumers in its warranty and customer service policies," a series of orchestrated tweets on China's Sina Weibo from various celebrities and other well known personalities voiced unison disapproval of Apple on cue after the broadcast, many of which were sent from iPad and iPhones.

Shortly afterward in April, Spanish tennis player David Ferrer tweeted his satisfaction with his #GalaxyS4 and that he was "configuring S Health on my new #GalaxyS4 to help with training @SamsungMobile," all via Twitter from his que contento estoy con mi iPhone.
post #2 of 55
Hehe...
post #3 of 55
Can we blame the user-agent string this time? 1wink.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #4 of 55

"I'm on Twitter on a different one" was one of the slimiest attempted coverups I've ever seen. Look, you got caught.

Samsung are a joke. I'm Twitting from my iPhone for free. Look Ma, no wires!

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #5 of 55
Looks like the only way to send out a tweet these days is to use an iPhone. Oh well.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #6 of 55

but..but..but... my phone was hacked!!!

post #7 of 55

The whole campaign sounds very ... odd. Innovation?

post #8 of 55

Samsung couldn't even come up with an original World Cup ad campaign. It's a total rip-off of Nike's famous spot from the mid-90s.

No one can touch King Eric!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdhvp-iYR3s

post #9 of 55
Do promotional giveaways count as "sold" when Samsung releases its sales figures?
post #10 of 55
Quote:
 Just over a month ago, Samsung launched its secretive ad campaign by seating actors in black robes at Chelsea FC, Bayern Munich and Juventus FC soccer games (that's "football" outside the U.S.).

And Australia. They also call it soccer. Aussie Rules Football (or just "football" or "footie" in Australia) is different from both American Football and soccer.

post #11 of 55
Monday Night Futbol Americano FTW.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #12 of 55
We know iPhones are popular... even Samsung pitchmen use them!
post #13 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by payeco View Post

And Australia. They also call it soccer. Aussie Rules Football (or just "football" or "footie" in Australia) is different from both American Football and soccer.

My friend, soccer and Aussie Rules Football are about as much the same thing as NFL and baseball are.
My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
post #14 of 55
Hey Sammy, instead of paying your "fans," give them a Galaxy instead.
post #15 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

The whole campaign sounds very ... odd. Innovation?

Marketing.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #16 of 55
Obviously Samsung is giving away their devices (especially the Sammy Watch) to celebs like Franz. Samsung is just hilarious.
post #17 of 55
The whole concept of having their paid shills USE the product hasn't yet occurred to Sammi yet... It must not be a Korean thang.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #18 of 55
It almost seems like Apple has a mole in Samsung. Mole informs Apple about the adverts; Apple secretly pays the spokesperson to tweet with an iPhone. Very effective counter intelligence.
post #19 of 55
Samsung lawyers might suggest a case against Apple...since they need any excuses to counter Apple
post #20 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

It almost seems like Apple has a mole in Samsung. Mole informs Apple about the adverts; Apple secretly pays the spokesperson to tweet with an iPhone. Very effective counter intelligence.

Keep dreaming.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #21 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

The whole concept of having their paid shills USE the product hasn't yet occurred to Sammi yet... It must not be a Korean thang.

But Samsung shrugs and asks: "but what's the difference?"

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #22 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by payeco View Post

Depends what state you are in NSW and QLD call rugby league football.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #23 of 55

Those 14 millions in marketing has got to be put to good use!

post #24 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Depends what state you are in NSW and QLD call rugby league football.

Ah, rugby!

The game that involves one man pushing two men, up three men's arseholes.

1wink.gif
post #25 of 55
Pretty much unrelated, but don't forget the little boy who performed on Jimmy Kimmel Live, and afterwards was given a Sony tablet only to hand it back and say "thanks, but we're getting an iPad for Christmas." That segment got promptly removed from YouTube.
post #26 of 55
They have always said iPhones have standard reliable use. Samsung has random junk and there employees tweet from the device that is useful.
post #27 of 55
Imitators can never be innovators.
post #28 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Porter View Post

Pretty much unrelated, but don't forget the little boy who performed on Jimmy Kimmel Live, and afterwards was given a Sony tablet only to hand it back and say "thanks, but we're getting an iPad for Christmas." That segment got promptly removed from YouTube.

http://youtu.be/X_C9URZp1wg
post #29 of 55

@ roccodelgreco.  Thanks for sharing that link.  I had never seen that before, it was great.  After that video I stumbled upon this version of the same show, where I think they edited in a different prize at the end, apparently?  Anyway....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOUFfeg0Xm0

post #30 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by roccodelgreco View Post

Quote:

@ roccodelgreco.  Thanks for sharing that link.  I had never seen that before, it was great.  After that video I stumbled upon this version of the same show, where I think they edited in a different prize at the end, apparently?  Anyway....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOUFfeg0Xm0

Choosy kids choose JIF.... er... iPads!

1biggrin.gif
post #31 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by roccodelgreco View Post

That's a great link!!

But...but...but... I thought Fandroids said that iPads were only for "old" people and that young folks think Apple products are no longer cool!!!  Fandroids said this!!! It must be true right??!!  It's not like they are simply blowing smoke up everyone's a$$ and hope people think it smells like roses right?? 

Losers.

This just goes to show that the innocence of a child can't be questioned.  Let's see how the whiny Fandroids try spinning this.

post #32 of 55
Korean Orphan 040101

I talk to him. He say he have no iPhone. Just Samsung.

Post around EST 0200
post #33 of 55
Quote:

The kid reportedibly said, "I don wan so steeking tablets..."
post #34 of 55
Quote:

For real? That is too funky! Gonna look for it now; these things have their way on 'increased views'.
post #35 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

For real? That is too funky! Gonna look for it now; these things have their way on 'increased views'.
from YouTube. Guess it wasn't pulled after all:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_C9URZp1wg
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #36 of 55

Is bad publicity still publicity when it comes to these sorts of foulups?

post #37 of 55
It's always fun for me to see these bonehead moves. I'm curious if anyone has done the reverse, ie posted how great their Apple device was from a Samsung product.
post #38 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

My friend, soccer and Aussie Rules Football are about as much the same thing as NFL and baseball are.

Which is completely consistent with the post you were responding to.  Read the final sentence again.

post #39 of 55
Because the kid rejected the Sony Xperia tablet for an iPad, ABC had Jimmy Kimmel record a new segment with a new gift then posted the new segment on YouTube. Yikes!
post #40 of 55

Celeb endorsements are not new, this has been going on for a very long time. Companies pay these folks big money to use their product especially in public, and I am familiar with how it suppose to work. If a Celeb signs up to get payments to use and be seen with a companies products and do not show those products in the best light and if they especially are seen publicly with a competitors product the celeb would obviously lose the endorsement and they could also be required to pay penalties. 

Either Samsung does not care or they do not have the power to enforce their Celebs to only use their products. However, I believe what we are seeing in these cases is the celeb is not the one making the comments its is one of their handlers who work for them and makes all the postings. Even if that is the case you would think Samsung would require who every is making the posting must make it from their products. But I go back to my original thought, Samsung has no power to enforce.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Samsung's #Galaxy11 viral ad fumbles when Franz Beckenbauer tweets from iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung's #Galaxy11 viral ad fumbles when Franz Beckenbauer tweets from iPhone