or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple seeds OS X 10.9.1 Mavericks beta to developers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple seeds OS X 10.9.1 Mavericks beta to developers

post #1 of 45
Thread Starter 
Apple on Tuesday seeded the latest OS X 10.9.1 beta build to developers, bringing minor changes to the upcoming maintenance update as it inches closer to public release.

Beta


Tuesday's beta, dubbed build 13B40, comes two weeks after Apple issued its last pre-release update, which brought fixes for Gmail, the OS X Mail app and Smart Folders.

According to reader Gregg, Apple asks developers to focus on the same areas for testing, including Mail, Safari, Graphics Drivers and VoiceOver.

Since OS X Mavericks launched in October, Apple has issued two updates to fix issues with Mail and iBooks for Mac. Unlike the usual maintenance update, these were separate standalone patches.

Developers can download the latest OS X 10.9.1 beta via Apple Developer Center or Software Update.
post #2 of 45

Mavericks has been great for me so far. I'm having a hard time thinking of what they can add to make it better.

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Reply

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Reply
post #3 of 45
There are some system freezes still occurring with safari that urgently need addressing.
post #4 of 45
I cannot share / export movies i created with Final Cut Pro x on the latest update. it just crashes
post #5 of 45
I wish safari would save the state of open web pages when quitting. After launching safari it would be nice not to have to re-open all my favourite sites...
Too bad that (from the best I can tell) Apple gave up listening to user feedback a few years ago now...
post #6 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiepaul View Post

I wish safari would save the state of open web pages when quitting. After launching safari it would be nice not to have to re-open all my favourite sites...
Too bad that (from the best I can tell) Apple gave up listening to user feedback a few years ago now...

 

Uh, it has done this since 10.7. You must have turned it off yourself.

post #7 of 45

If you close the window, then quit, it will not come back to previous when opening. However, if you quit Safari without closing the window first, all webpages will reopen to what they were before you closed Safari. Makes sense to me. 

 

If you want this work, don't close the window first, just quit first. 

post #8 of 45
Well AirDrop on a Mac would be at the top of my list! I can't understand why this wasn't included in Mavericks from the start. Mac's (only Mac's built after 2010) can use AirDrop to move files to other Mac's and iOS devices can use Airdrop between iOS devices (only some of the latest devices), but as of now you cannot AirDrop between Mavericks and iOS devices.
post #9 of 45
I love how pretty much all the change notes are for an app I never use. (mail)
post #10 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMoeller View Post

...but as of now you cannot AirDrop between Mavericks and iOS devices.

I'm not sure that's ever going to be the case.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #11 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiepaul View PostI wish safari would save the state of open web pages when quitting. After launching safari it would be nice not to have to re-open all my favourite sites...

Too bad that (from the best I can tell) Apple gave up listening to user feedback a few years ago now...

Safari prefs > General - Safari opens with: All windows from last session
or Safari menu > History - Open all windows from last session
post #12 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMoeller View Post

Well AirDrop on a Mac would be at the top of my list! I can't understand why (only Mac's[sic] built after 2010) can use AirDrop to move files to other Mac's[sic]

Actually most MacBooks and MacBook Pros from late 2008 together with iMacs from early 2009 onwards can use AirDrop as well.
See http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4783
post #13 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaba View Post

There are some system freezes still occurring with safari that urgently need addressing.

Yup, my MacBook Air regularly freezes with heavy Safari use, usually once every day or two...
...the only thing that makes it bearable is that the system restores the state fairly well after a reboot. Still I worry about file system corruption, stray temp files, etc.
There are other issues, like incompatibility with certain drivers, retained Mail.app web preview resources etc.
So while Mavericks is perfectly usable, it still has plenty of stuff that needs fixing.
post #14 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiepaul View PostI wish safari would save the state of open web pages when quitting. After launching safari it would be nice not to have to re-open all my favourite sites...

Too bad that (from the best I can tell) Apple gave up listening to user feedback a few years ago now...

Safari prefs > General - Safari opens with: All windows from last session
or Safari menu > History - Open all windows from last session

Problem: unless you log out or crash with Safari open and have Safari launch on login, it will remember windows and their position, but not the "space" they were in which is rather obnoxious.
post #15 of 45
Ok thanks, I'll investigate my preferences...
Quote:
Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

Uh, it has done this since 10.7. You must have turned it off yourself.
post #16 of 45
Thanks!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiepaul View PostI wish safari would save the state of open web pages when quitting. After launching safari it would be nice not to have to re-open all my favourite sites...

Too bad that (from the best I can tell) Apple gave up listening to user feedback a few years ago now...

Safari prefs > General - Safari opens with: All windows from last session
or Safari menu > History - Open all windows from last session
post #17 of 45
I have problems flicking between pages of apps in launch pad (gestures on Magic Mouse and trackpad). It only flicks about 20% at a time so requires 4-5 side swipes. :-/
post #18 of 45

The only issue that I have had with Mavericks is with Safari.  There are times that it jet seemingly locks up and not fully load up the page.  What I have to do is refresh the page and then it comes up. Yes, this is a very minor annoyance, but it should be addressed. And no, this isn't a case of the user being impatient or slow internet connection, it just thinks it has finished loading the page but fails to render it correctly.

-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Finatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027
Reply
-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Finatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027
Reply
post #19 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post
 

Mavericks has been great for me so far. I'm having a hard time thinking of what they can add to make it better.

A new file system is probably the biggest change they could make to it.  They might change the theme, I'm sure they are working on other enhancements that we see and some that are underneath.

post #20 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post
 

The only issue that I have had with Mavericks is with Safari.  There are times that it jet seemingly locks up and not fully load up the page.  What I have to do is refresh the page and then it comes up. Yes, this is a very minor annoyance, but it should be addressed. And no, this isn't a case of the user being impatient or slow internet connection, it just thinks it has finished loading the page but fails to render it correctly.

I don't know how much is Java related.  I actually still get some Java errors every so often.  

post #21 of 45
Safari 7 has been a disaster, so many bugs.
post #22 of 45

Things I would like to see:

- 4K over Thunderbolt 2 supporting video driver for Macbook Pro 2013

- H.265 video codec, and iTunes detects this codec on your system and tells the Store, and your HD movies files are smaller and download faster

- Page turning animation in iBooks (iOS 7 has it)

- The toolbar and titlebar on windows to be separate things again

- Some more choices of monospaced font for the Terminal

- A System Preference for a dark or light Dock

- The OS to not spin up all my external drives when I open a file dialog to pick something from the internal SSD

- The App Store to show which apps are sandboxed (I only use sandboxed apps)

- iTunes to remember the state of tabs when you switch away from them and come back later

- Option to disable versions and go back to the traditional open/save file model.

post #23 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Things I would like to see:
- The OS to not spin up all my external drives when I open a file dialog to pick something from the internal SSD
- Option to
disable versions
and
go back to the 
traditional open/save file model.

Ugh. Amen. Windows does this too and it's so irritating. System pauses for a moment while external drives spin up, regardless of whether or not I'm actually utilizing them for a transfer. Slows everything down.
post #24 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

 

- Option to disable versions and go back to the traditional open/save file model.

 

System Preferences, General, check "Ask to keep changes when closing documents"

post #25 of 45

Mavericks broke back to my Mac for me. (and quite a few others)

 

Yeah... if they wanted to go ahead and fix that, that'd be terrific. Mmmkay?

post #26 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by konqerror View Post
 

 

System Preferences, General, check "Ask to keep changes when closing documents"

Thanks for that, but I knew about that checkbox. What I meant by an "option to disable versions" was something a bit more comprehensive: a checkbox that stops the OS creating a SQL lite DB with extra copies of my data in it, and just read and write to the document file like the old days.

post #27 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post
 

Thanks for that, but I knew about that checkbox. What I meant by an "option to disable versions" was something a bit more comprehensive: a checkbox that stops the OS creating a SQL lite DB with extra copies of my data in it, and just read and write to the document file like the old days.


Anyone know why Apple was so enamored with the versions concept?  I understand it makes documents more idiot-proof but at the same time it makes it harder (or more strange) for non-idiots, too.

post #28 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post
 

Things I would like to see:

- 4K over Thunderbolt 2 supporting video driver for Macbook Pro 2013

- H.265 video codec, and iTunes detects this codec on your system and tells the Store, and your HD movies files are smaller and download faster

- Page turning animation in iBooks (iOS 7 has it)

- The toolbar and titlebar on windows to be separate things again

- Some more choices of monospaced font for the Terminal

- A System Preference for a dark or light Dock

- The OS to not spin up all my external drives when I open a file dialog to pick something from the internal SSD

- The App Store to show which apps are sandboxed (I only use sandboxed apps)

- iTunes to remember the state of tabs when you switch away from them and come back later

- Option to disable versions and go back to the traditional open/save file model.

www.apple.com/feedback

post #29 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post
 

Thanks for that, but I knew about that checkbox. What I meant by an "option to disable versions" was something a bit more comprehensive: a checkbox that stops the OS creating a SQL lite DB with extra copies of my data in it, and just read and write to the document file like the old days.


Anyone know why Apple was so enamored with the versions concept?  I understand it makes documents more idiot-proof but at the same time it makes it harder (or more strange) for non-idiots, too.

 

If all you do is write letters to Auntie Beth, then versions are useless. If you work in any sort of collaborative work environment on real projects, versions are great. I would just prefer a different sort of interface that would keep file saving semantics the same and would distinguish between auto-save and save, and user-initiated versions that also keep track of who made the changes, but that would go against Apple's desire to (over)simplify things. Given their drive to (over)simplify, versions turned out actually somewhat usable, although it's still confusing for dummies and not powerful enough for the people who really critically rely on document versioning (and e.g. require embedded document version IDs and an audit trail of who's accountable for which document changes).

post #30 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfa View Post
 

 

If all you do is write letters to Auntie Beth, then versions are useless. If you work in any sort of collaborative work environment on real projects, versions are great. I would just prefer a different sort of interface that would keep file saving semantics the same and would distinguish between auto-save and save, and user-initiated versions that also keep track of who made the changes, but that would go against Apple's desire to (over)simplify things. Given their drive to (over)simplify, versions turned out actually somewhat usable, although it's still confusing for dummies and not powerful enough for the people who really critically rely on document versioning (and e.g. require embedded document version IDs and an audit trail of who's accountable for which document changes).

I agree. Corporate users need something more powerful, and home users, well the hourly backups of Time Machine should be enough for their typical use cases (recipes, letters, etc).

 

It was intended (I think) to solve the age old "problem" of having to press command-s once and a while, but it's such a deceptively big problem that they ended having to build this entire edifice in to NSDocument, a disproportionate amount of complexity for what it ultimately achieves. And architecturally one goal has to be to keep overall system complexity down, which means removing it where it is not giving bang for the buck. Versions needs to join the ObjC garbage collector in OS X heaven.

post #31 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

Safari 7 has been a disaster, so many bugs.

 

For you maybe.

post #32 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfa View Post
 

 

If all you do is write letters to Auntie Beth, then versions are useless. If you work in any sort of collaborative work environment on real projects, versions are great. I would just prefer a different sort of interface that would keep file saving semantics the same and would distinguish between auto-save and save, and user-initiated versions that also keep track of who made the changes, but that would go against Apple's desire to (over)simplify things. Given their drive to (over)simplify, versions turned out actually somewhat usable, although it's still confusing for dummies and not powerful enough for the people who really critically rely on document versioning (and e.g. require embedded document version IDs and an audit trail of who's accountable for which document changes).

I agree. Corporate users need something more powerful, and home users, well the hourly backups of Time Machine should be enough for their typical use cases (recipes, letters, etc).

 

It was intended (I think) to solve the age old "problem" of having to press command-s once and a while, but it's such a deceptively big problem that they ended having to build this entire edifice in to NSDocument, a disproportionate amount of complexity for what it ultimately achieves. And architecturally one goal has to be to keep overall system complexity down, which means removing it where it is not giving bang for the buck. Versions needs to join the ObjC garbage collector in OS X heaven.

 

As is, I agree. But I think versions could be fixed by simply making a distinction between autosave and save. The regular cmd-s semantics should remain, and auto-save should happen in the background to a different fork in the version tree. That way, if the app crashes, etc. work can resume, but the what's saved is saved just like it used to be. Then, there should be a different command "save snapshot" which would be the same as saving a copy, except it appends a time stamp plus usershortID to the file, and it becomes an officially, user-created version of that file. Work groups, by setting proper permissions on the original of a file, could thus prevent overwriting the original and force version saving, which would automatically create an audit trail.

The storage mechanism could remain just what Apple uses now, but for the average user, it would just be a simple crash recovery system and otherwise regular file saving, and for people who need explicit versioning, it would be that, too.

But I guess Apple wants to avoid the "clutter" of actually versioned file names in the file system. Apple seems to want to go back to the MS-DOS days anyway, where apps owned data, instead of apps being tools that work on files that can be opened with whatever tool one likes to use.

That's why I hate the current iOS/AppStore climate: we're back to a proliferation of proprietary file formats, rather than having more competing tools that work on standard, interchangable document formats. We're back to app-centric rather than data/document or even task centric architecture. Easy for dummies, frustrating for anyone who used a computer for more than two weeks and knows that there's a different way. (everyone else just moo-ing accepts what is served on their platter, it seems).

post #33 of 45

Have to admit I'm glad to see that others are also having system freeze issues with Safari on Mavericks instead of just me.  I have that maybe once or twice a day forcing a reboot, plus also the infernal scrolling problem.  Irritations.

 

So hopefully 10.9.1 will fix those Safari bugs.

post #34 of 45
Originally Posted by Bluestone View Post

So hopefully 10.9.1 will fix those Safari bugs.

 

Why expect that when it’s a problem on the end and not the beginning?

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #35 of 45

I'd appreciate it if Apple would at least treat Mac users like they treat Windows users, and not deprecate local USB sync in iTunes. iCloud really sucks big time - lost data, duplicate Contact list, empty calendars, slows iPhones to a crawl - man, it's just awful.

 

I don't know what our sales and repair teams will do for syncing when they're out in the field with no internet - which is about 90% of their work day. I guess they'll need to manually replicate events, appointments and contacts by entering them again and again on each Apple instrument. Of course, if they used Windows, Apple would still support their work.

 

We bought all this shit because it synched the way it did & now it doesn't. Nice.

 

Mavericks Mail.app is awful, it needs serious attention. Safari has too many bugs & crashes. There's a chance every day that data someplace gets corrupted in 10.9.

Hot tub blonde, pouring champagne: "Say when..." Dangerfield: "Right after this drink."
Reply
Hot tub blonde, pouring champagne: "Say when..." Dangerfield: "Right after this drink."
Reply
post #36 of 45

I have a reproduceable freeze (I sent feedback to Apple) that is very annoying to me. When I disconnect an external screen connected to my MB, go to sleep, wake up, use the MB without an external screen, sleep again, wake up and connect the external screen again, Mavericks freezes when logging out.  Or put in other words, I cannot switch between office and travel envrionment as I used to do.  Looking at the Apple forums I am not the only one with the issue.

 

What needs improvement in term of features:

 - empty the trash bin per connected drive, so I can make free space on an USB stick without emptying the whole trashbin

 - Finder needs to have an option to take care of hidden files and symbolic links

 - iTunes needs to support FLAC

 - The current state of versions is the main reason for me to drop iWorks. Adding a label to a version (like svn or git do) would really be welcome.  It makes me changes the way I work which I don't like. Opening a readonly file, making changes and then later discarding the changes is currently not possible.

post #37 of 45
I hope they fix scrolling in Safari. It's not as smooth as it was in prior versions, due to the horizontal movement ability that doesn't belong there in scrolling (causes jumps on release). It currently is too sensitive and shouldn't allow horizontal motion anyway, if the page isn't scrollable.
post #38 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by cropr View Post

What needs improvement in term of features:
 - empty the trash bin per connected drive, so I can make free space on an USB stick without emptying the whole trashbin
 - Finder needs to have an option to take care of hidden files and symbolic links
 - iTunes needs to support FLAC
 - The current state of versions is the main reason for me to drop iWorks. Adding a label to a version (like svn or git do) would really be welcome.  It makes me changes the way I work which I don't like. Opening a readonly file, making changes and then later discarding the changes is currently not possible.

- Not going to happen. That's just not something the average user will ever need to do. However there is a solution for you with a simple Terminal command which you can easily make into an app with Automator: http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20080702072311965
- Not sure what you mean by this one.
- iTunes will never support FLAC if they haven't already but that doesn't mean you can't store your audio in iTunes as lossless, but I assume you know that already if you're familiar with FLAC.
- If it's read-only why are trying to make changes to it?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #39 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaba View Post

There are some system freezes still occurring with safari that urgently need addressing.

Not seen that although AI's blog was crashing every time I did an edit until this update, seems to have stopped but that could be coincidence I guess.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #40 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

I hope they fix scrolling in Safari. It's not as smooth as it was in prior versions, due to the horizontal movement ability that doesn't belong there in scrolling (causes jumps on release). It currently is too sensitive and shouldn't allow horizontal motion anyway, if the page isn't scrollable.

I agree, my Magic Mouse and Safari can be tricky after a couple of Gin and Tonics! It's like ... 'Wow there boy ... I didn't want to go sideways there' ... of 'stop wobbling side to side so I can select that button!'
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple seeds OS X 10.9.1 Mavericks beta to developers