or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iOS 7 now powers 74% of North American iPhones - report
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's iOS 7 now powers 74% of North American iPhones - report

post #1 of 56
Thread Starter 
Just three months after its release, Apple's latest mobile operating system is responsible for 74 percent of the internet traffic originating from iOS devices in the U.S. and Canada versus 22 percent for iOS 6, new web analytics data suggests.

iOS version distribution


Adoption has slowed since iOS 7's rocket-like first week --?which saw it explode to take more than 50 percent share --?but continues to outstrip that of its predecessor, iOS 6, according to data collected by web and advertising analytics firm Chitika. The company examined "tens of millions" of ad impressions served to iOS devices in North America between Oct. 25 and Nov. 18.

By comparison, iOS 6 took nearly six months to reach 83 percent of iOS devices.

The streamlined operating system has seen slower growth on Apple's iPad, though much of the difference is likely attributable to first-generation iPads which have not yet reached the end of their useful life. iOS 5 --?the last iOS version supported by the original iPad -- maintains a 9 percent share of iPad traffic.

Apple's ability to migrate device owners to the latest version of their software stands in stark contrast to its primary mobile competition, devices running Google's Android.

Android version distribution


Aside from Google's Nexus family of devices, which are designed to model a "pure Android" experience, phone manufacturers and carriers are in control of how and when their handsets will receive updates. Customizations, like carrier-specific apps and manufacturer-added skins, add to the time required to roll out updates.

Even recently-released flagship devices such as LG's G2, on which Google's new Nexus 5 is based, are not immune. LG has said that the G2 will not receive the latest revision of Android ?-- version 4.4, dubbed "KitKat" --?until March of 2014.

According to Google's developer platform versions dashboard, nearly one quarter of Android devices are still running versions of Android at least two years old.
post #2 of 56
That chart below is the biggest reason I'd never go Android. I don't want my carrier deciding when I get the latest software on my phone.
post #3 of 56
Those Android statistics are only devices that can connect to Google's Play Store - a majority of "Android" devices on the market today do not have access to that store.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #4 of 56

So the other 26% are writing click-bait articles about how awful iOS 7 is and how they will never upgrade and demand Apple return iOS 6 as an option to the 5S and 6 and all future releases?

post #5 of 56

74% is very low.

post #6 of 56
I always felt that the original iPad should have, at the very least, received iOS 6.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
post #7 of 56
iOS7 doesn't power anything, it runs on stuff. Batteries power stuff. Com'on.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply
post #8 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

74% is very low.
What?
post #9 of 56

Anedotal evidence I know ....... but my (work provided) Samsung GS2 is still running Android 2.3.3 whereas my iPhone 4S of similar age is running iOS7!

post #10 of 56
Adoption percentage and the percentage in use are different. To get the full picture we need to know what percentage of iOS devises in use can not be upgraded to iOS 7. I still frequently see iPhone 3G's in use. If it is around 8% for example then iOS is at over 80% on upgradable devices.
Any idea what percentage of Android devices can theoretically be upgraded to KitKat?
post #11 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

74% is very low.

Sarcasm, I hope.

Wait, I thought iOS 7 was a complete failure and users are running to Apple HQ with torches and pitchforks.
post #12 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

That chart below is the biggest reason I'd never go Android. I don't want my carrier deciding when I get the latest software on my phone.

 

I hear you there. I've had 3 Android phones, 2 of them the carrier DROPPED support for the phone less than a year into the 2yr contract so any bugs were never fixed the entire 2 yrs. At least with Apple, they control the phone. When there's an issue they release it ASAP and everyone can get it. We don't have to wait for the carrier to create their own update and test it. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #13 of 56
People are still using iOS3?
post #14 of 56
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post
74% is very low.

 

For me to POOP ON… wait…

 

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post
People are still using iOS3?

 

Represent! I am the 0.1%.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #15 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Aside from Google's Nexus family of devices, which are designed to model a "pure Android" experience, phone manufacturers and carriers are in control of how and when their handsets will receive updates. Customizations, like carrier-specific apps and manufacturer-added skins, add to the time required to roll out updates.

Even recently-released flagship devices such as LG's G2, on which Google's new Nexus 5 is based, are not immune. LG has said that the G2 will not receive the latest revision of Android ?-- version 4.4, dubbed "KitKat" --?until March of 2014.

According to Google's developer platform versions dashboard, nearly one quarter of Android devices are still running versions of Android at least two years old.

...yet roughly three weeks after Kit Kat was announced all the big three, Verizon, ATT and T-Mo, (US) already rolled it out to Motorola's Moto X. In fact Verizon was the first to do so 1eek.gif

Even some of the smaller carriers like US Cellular are already offering OTA updates to KitKat for the MotoX. Perhaps Google has more influence with the carriers than they're being given credit for.
Edited by Gatorguy - 12/4/13 at 8:36am
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #16 of 56

I hate hate hate 7.

 

It crashes and is often unresponsive on my 4S. Makes me so mad, I wish I could go back to 6...

 

So there.

post #17 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdyB View Post

Anedotal evidence I know ....... but my (work provided) Samsung GS2 is still running Android 2.3.3 whereas my iPhone 4S of similar age is running iOS7!

Why didn't your employer update to Jellybean? It's been available to the S2 for a long time now. Maybe they consider 2.3.3 good enough for purpose or is it for some other reason?
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #18 of 56
Originally Posted by RangerD View Post

So there.

 

At least you didn’t say it was “terrible” or a “failure”; you simply spoke your mind.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #19 of 56

I don't care for the look of iOS 7 - it looks amateurish to me, regardless of how many people worked on it and how much effort went into it.  

 

To me, it looks awful - like something a 7 year old would put together.  Through a quirk, I had to exchange my 5 - the replacement has iOS 6.1.4 on it - and I only wish there were a way to revert my iPad to 6.

 

7 may indeed be a substantial technical advance, but I agree with those who hatehatehate how it looks.

post #20 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

...yet roughly three weeks after Kit Kat was announced all the big three, Verizon, ATT and T-Mo, (US) already rolled it out to Motorola's Moto X. In fact Verizon was the first to do so 1eek.gif

Even some of the smaller carriers like US Cellular are already offering OTA updates to KitKat for the MotoX. Perhaps Google has more influence with the carriers than they're being given credit for.

Googs probably has a say on Moto phones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerD View Post

I hate hate hate 7.

It crashes and is often unresponsive on my 4S. Makes me so mad, I wish I could go back to 6...

So there.

Are you in 7.0.3? My 4S also froze a lot on 7.0 but it's so much better with 7.0.3.
post #21 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automaticftp View Post

I don't care for the look of iOS 7 - it looks amateurish to me, regardless of how many people worked on it and how much effort went into it.  

To me, it looks awful - like something a 7 year old would put together.  Through a quirk, I had to exchange my 5 - the replacement has iOS 6.1.4 on it - and I only wish there were a way to revert my iPad to 6.

7 may indeed be a substantial technical advance, but I agree with those who hatehatehate how it looks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automaticftp View Post

I don't care for the look of iOS 7 - it looks amateurish to me, regardless of how many people worked on it and how much effort went into it.  

To me, it looks awful - like something a 7 year old would put together.  Through a quirk, I had to exchange my 5 - the replacement has iOS 6.1.4 on it - and I only wish there were a way to revert my iPad to 6.

7 may indeed be a substantial technical advance, but I agree with those who hatehatehate how it looks.
At least it no longer looks like Microsoft Bob. 1tongue.gif
post #22 of 56
This is why Apple can develop successful new app capabilities for iOS: developers have good reason to use them at once! What can Google do? They can add features (and they do) but how many developers are going to make an app for the tiny sliver who have the latest OS? Where's the business model for that? How will the momentum be achieved to make a feature something people actually use? And with Apple designing hardware and OS together the difference is even greater.
post #23 of 56

I actually like IOS7.  It works good,  I like the new features,  the look is fine,  actually pretty clean look in my opinion.

 

Things I don't like:

1)  the paralax,  just seems unnessisary and distracting.

2)  The continued bugs (one in particualr dealing with web-apps)

post #24 of 56
You should hire headline writers with a bit of an education, North America is more than US and Canada.
post #25 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automaticftp View Post

I don't care for the look of iOS 7 - it looks amateurish to me, regardless of how many people worked on it and how much effort went into it.  

To me, it looks awful - like something a 7 year old would put together.  Through a quirk, I had to exchange my 5 - the replacement has iOS 6.1.4 on it - and I only wish there were a way to revert my iPad to 6.

7 may indeed be a substantial technical advance, but I agree with those who hatehatehate how it looks.

I just lost my first long reply when Safari crashed. IOS 7 on the iPad mini retina. It crashes frequently.

What I was saying—I think iOS 7 looks like it was designed by uptight left-brain retentives determined not to be tactile, textural or "cluttered." It's part of a style trend in the hipster designer world, and I find it soulless and cold. The colors, I agree, are infantile, when combined with such things as the denatured Safari icon. The icons are absurdly bloodless, like the Settings one, that now looks like a bathroom ventilator grill. All for what? For glitzy wipes and swipes, which would have been jarring with the old icons—too much virtual "mass" to be sliding around.

They could have made the icons lovable or beautiful, like they were before, while they also flattened and de-massed them. But they seem to have overreacted against the Jobs-Forestall tactility. They went Puritanical, smashed the ikons, tossed the sensuous prior art into the flames. They took out the charm.

I'm keeping my 4S on iOS 6 to the bitter end, or until they regain their senses, literally. Meanwhile, they should meditate on the careers of Oliver Cromwell, Cotton Mather and the imams of Iran.

And the gigabyte-plus of iOS 7 that's sitting unused and unasked for on my phone, I want it back.
Edited by Flaneur - 12/4/13 at 9:47am
post #26 of 56
Originally Posted by maxfp46 View Post
North America is more than US and Canada.

 

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #27 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automaticftp View Post
 

I don't care for the look of iOS 7 - it looks amateurish to me, regardless of how many people worked on it and how much effort went into it.  

 

To me, it looks awful - like something a 7 year old would put together.  Through a quirk, I had to exchange my 5 - the replacement has iOS 6.1.4 on it - and I only wish there were a way to revert my iPad to 6.

 

7 may indeed be a substantial technical advance, but I agree with those who hatehatehate how it looks.

That's really idiotic. There is nothing to "hate" about it. This is just more snarky bandwagon BS.

I'm glad you can't revert your devices...it will force you to understand that you were never entitled to anything about iOS 6 in the first place, and it will teach you how to adjust to change. 

 

There is not one person who whines publicly about iOS 7 that is doing anything other than reacting to the very immature and basic human nature response to change. People can't handle change....or rather, people that don't understand that change has to happen to for things to move forward.

 

iOS 7 is a massive improvement VISUALLY over iOS 6 for dozens of measurable and enumerable reasons. The Layout, color scheme, Menu bars, pull overs, pop overs, and every single other UI element makes an amazing amount of sense for the devices, the apps, and how they are used. The fact that you don't understand this is merely your uneducated and uninformed outlook on iOS itself...and is no one's fault but your own.

 

You, and the rest of the minority, don't have to like it...but IT IS better. Whether you like it or not, it physically, functionally, and visually better....and thats the end of it.

post #28 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automaticftp View Post

I don't care for the look of iOS 7 - it looks amateurish to me, regardless of how many people worked on it and how much effort went into it.  

To me, it looks awful - like something a 7 year old would put together.

After using the sleek and clean iOS 7 for a few weeks looking back on iOS 6 or earlier that all looks so outdated to me.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #29 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

...yet roughly three weeks after Kit Kat was announced all the big three, Verizon, ATT and T-Mo, (US) already rolled it out to Motorola's Moto X. In fact Verizon was the first to do so 1eek.gif

Even some of the smaller carriers like US Cellular are already offering OTA updates to KitKat for the MotoX. Perhaps Google has more influence with the carriers than they're being given credit for.

That isn't a fair comparison of the Android landscape. I would expect everyone here expects Google's Nexus and Moto Products to get updates relatively fast and for a time frame longer than other Android-based vendors offer.

This link shows a comparison of updates for various smartphone vendors: http://www.fidlee.com/tag/android/


"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #30 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

That's really idiotic. There is nothing to "hate" about it. This is just more snarky bandwagon BS.
I'm glad you can't revert your devices...it will force you to understand that you were never entitled to anything about iOS 6 in the first place, and it will teach you how to adjust to change. 

There is not one person who whines publicly about iOS 7 that is doing anything other than reacting to the very immature and basic human nature response to change. People can't handle change....or rather, people that don't understand that change has to happen to for things to move forward.

iOS 7 is a massive improvement VISUALLY over iOS 6 for dozens of measurable and enumerable reasons. The Layout, color scheme, Menu bars, pull overs, pop overs, and every single other UI element makes an amazing amount of sense for the devices, the apps, and how they are used. The fact that you don't understand this is merely your uneducated and uninformed outlook on iOS itself...and is no one's fault but your own.

You, and the rest of the minority, don't have to like it...but IT IS better. Whether you like it or not, it physically, functionally, and visually better....and thats the end of it.

Better in many ways, I agree, but not aesthetically overall, in my opinion. Like I said above, they took out the charm, the mysterious visceral factor that Apple gets in spades with their hardware. Tactility rules most peoples' affection as much as the visual does.

Safari has crashed five times in the process of making these replies, by the way.. Is it iOS 7 or Safari or Huddler?
post #31 of 56
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post
Is it iOS 7 or Safari or Huddler?

 

Huddler.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #32 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Safari has crashed five times in the process of making these replies, by the way.. Is it iOS 7 or Safari or Huddler?

I get Safari crashes in Mavericks with this site but on iOS I get an error when trying to access AI forums. This all seems to be Huddler issues.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #33 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


I get Safari crashes in Mavericks with this site but on iOS I get an error when trying to access AI forums. This all seems to be Huddler issues.

 

AI crashes all the time for me on FireFox in Win7....the problem is FlashPlayerPlugin hanging up all the time.

post #34 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post
 

That's really idiotic. There is nothing to "hate" about it. This is just more snarky bandwagon BS.

I'm glad you can't revert your devices...it will force you to understand that you were never entitled to anything about iOS 6 in the first place, and it will teach you how to adjust to change. 

 

There is not one person who whines publicly about iOS 7 that is doing anything other than reacting to the very immature and basic human nature response to change. People can't handle change....or rather, people that don't understand that change has to happen to for things to move forward.

 

iOS 7 is a massive improvement VISUALLY over iOS 6 for dozens of measurable and enumerable reasons. The Layout, color scheme, Menu bars, pull overs, pop overs, and every single other UI element makes an amazing amount of sense for the devices, the apps, and how they are used. The fact that you don't understand this is merely your uneducated and uninformed outlook on iOS itself...and is no one's fault but your own.

 

You, and the rest of the minority, don't have to like it...but IT IS better. Whether you like it or not, it physically, functionally, and visually better....and thats the end of it.

 

There's no need for all that self-righteousness, especially when it's bullshit. Yes, iOS7 is a major improvement feature wise, and in SOME cases, aesthetically. However, proclaiming the UI is unequivocally better is baloney, and shows that you don't have much objectivity in the matter. There are COUNTLESS aspects that make things less accessible, less legible, less obvious, and more confusing. Ultra-thin, small fonts, parallas backgrounds, removal of all shadows, transparencies, vaseline-like blur effects, major loss of contrast, non-sensical removal of skeumorphism that made some sense (ie. bookshelf is now weird grayish-white gradient, a pointless change that in all regards looks worse), odd use of typography and text colors, making buttons look like standard text, etc. To pretend that every single element is a step forward, and an improvement, is reaching. There's a reason there's been a shitload of very indepth, articulate articles from talented designers and UI specialists explain what exactly is wrong about iOS7. These people have very valid, specific, well argued points- not simply "can't handle change". You're the one that is chilidsh with the "it's better, shutup" mentality. I LOVE change, and I've been running iOS7 since the betas. But change has to make sense, and my issues with iOS7 go far beyond "not liking change". 

post #35 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

AI crashes all the time for me on FireFox in Win7....the problem is FlashPlayerPlugin hanging up all the time.

I have Click2Flash installed and this still happens.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #36 of 56
I would expect this number to have a slight bump from Thanksgiving. Like many of you, Thanksgiving is a time for me to provide tech support to all of the old fogies that don't have much of a clue about doing it themselves. Lord knows all I did was upgrade my in-laws' iDevices to iOS 7 all day. 1smile.gif
post #37 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Those Android statistics are only devices that can connect to Google's Play Store - a majority of "Android" devices on the market today do not have access to that store.

Yes, but Debian Linux can claim they are winning because look how many Linux kernels are installed in all kinds of devices!

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #38 of 56
I don't know why Google decided to have 3 API updates to Jelly Bean and not call them different names, it's kind of misleads the consumer into thinking they are at the latest versions of Jelly Bean, since very few are running anything other than 4.1.x.

This is one main reason why I won't touch Android.
post #39 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

...yet roughly three weeks after Kit Kat was announced all the big three, Verizon, ATT and T-Mo, (US) already rolled it out to Motorola's Moto X. In fact Verizon was the first to do so 1eek.gif

Even some of the smaller carriers like US Cellular are already offering OTA updates to KitKat for the MotoX. Perhaps Google has more influence with the carriers than they're being given credit for.

Google better get to work on that Chrome OS and hope they can start all over again, Oracle just might win the latest court battle (hopefully) ... 1smile.gif
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #40 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Better in many ways, I agree, but not aesthetically overall, in my opinion. Like I said above, they took out the charm, the mysterious visceral factor that Apple gets in spades with their hardware. Tactility rules most peoples' affection as much as the visual does.

Safari has crashed five times in the process of making these replies, by the way.. Is it iOS 7 or Safari or Huddler?

Do those crashes happen anywhere else as much as here on AI? My OS X Safari is no longer crashing on AI since yesterday's 10.9.1 update (but it never crashed anywhere else) so it may be an Apple-Huddler conflict?
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iOS 7 now powers 74% of North American iPhones - report