or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Black Friday propels iPad Air growth by 51%, iPhone 5c surges 26%
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Black Friday propels iPad Air growth by 51%, iPhone 5c surges 26%

post #1 of 49
Thread Starter 
New data suggests Apple saw huge sales of the iPad Air and iPhone 5c from Black Friday sales, with an analytics firm seeing a massive growth spike for both devices over the holiday shopping weekend.

Localytics


The latest data from Localytics found that traffic from the iPad Air grew 51 percent this past weekend, compared to the previous weekend. That was by far the largest growth seen in new devices tracked.

The particularly strong performance for iPad Air is attributed not only to Black Friday sales, but also because of a relatively small install base, as the latest full-size iPad has been available for just around one month.

Tied for second in Localytics' data were two more Apple devices: the new plastic iPhone 5c, as well as the first-generation iPad mini. Both represent more affordable options in Apple's product lineup, with the iPhone 5c selling for $99 with a new two-year service contract, and the legacy iPad mini available for $299.

The surge for all three Apple devices is not surprising, as each of them were discounted at various retailers for Black Friday and Cyber Monday promotions.

iPad Air


That may also explain why the Apple's flagship smartphone, the iPhone 5s, and the second-generation iPad mini did not see as significant of a spike. The iPad mini with Retina display saw its online presence grow 17 percent weekend over weekend, according to Localytics, while the iPhone 5s grew 15 percent. Neither device was as heavily discounted for Black Friday.

Rounding out the top Apple devices tracked by the firm was the iPhone 4S, which saw its weekend traffic grow 10 percent after black Friday. The iPhone 4S is available for free with a two-year cellular contract.

Localytics' data included nine devices in total, six of which were the aforementioned Apple products. The highest-ranking non-Apple product was the Kindle Fire HD, which grew 23 percent over the shopping weekend and took fourth place. It finished just ahead of the fifth-place Samsung Galaxy S IV, which grew 20 percent.

Finally, taking ninth was the 7-inch Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, which saw its online presence grow 8 percent following Black Friday.
post #2 of 49

“iOS 7 is a failure.”

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #3 of 49
Rate data without absolute sale data is worthless.
post #4 of 49

Just as I said all along...iPhone 5C sales would increase over the holiday season. Its a terrific deal for parents buying new phones for their children. 

 

I'm sure there could be some kind of spin on this to make it look like the iPhone 5C is a failure and shouldn't exist. 

 

Analysts are too worried about the current state of things when they should be more focused on the long-term. This is what sets up a company for the future. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #5 of 49
I was half expecting to see a bump in 5c sales as they are the perfect holiday
gift for grand kids. 1smile.gif
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #6 of 49
This article suggests iPad sales are surging at least on Black Friday.

And yet IDC is proclaiming today that iPads will falter and lose ground in their sad unwinnable war against Android tablets.

Is the iPad surging or souring? Storming the castle or retreating to the woods?

My guess is that the iPad will increase both sales and market share in 2014 at Android's expense.

I also predict that the Android numbers are grossly even illegally exaggerated.
post #7 of 49

It's also interesting to note that this doesn't include devices bought as Christmas presents, since presumably we won't start seeing traffic from them until the lucky recipients open the boxes and start using them on Christmas day.

 

Digitalclips, you may still get your 5c holiday bump!

post #8 of 49

Why would anyone buy the 4s when the prices are identical?   Ignorant folk out there...

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #9 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post
 

Why would anyone buy the 4s when the prices are identical?   Ignorant folk out there...

Maybe these people prefer a smaller "one-hand" manageable display are are willing to give up other features just to have that nicer pocketable size. :)

post #10 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

“iOS 7 is a failure.”

"5C is a failure!"
post #11 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

“iOS 7 is a failure.”

Right. The numbers illustrate your point…unless I misunderstood it as sarcasm, in which case I agree.

post #12 of 49
Further proof that Apple is doomed. If I don't see actual figures, it didn't happen.

Only Jeff Bezos can get away with telling everyone that Amazon sold a boatload of Kindles and no one will dare to second-guess him. Investors and Wall Street believe everything that Jeff Bezos says. If Tim Cook said something like that he'd be called a liar and every analyst would be out to prove Tim Cook wrong. With Jeff Bezos there is never any doubt whatsoever and the share price will climb straight up. All the analysts and news media will just say that Jeff Bezos is a genius who is never wrong. That's real investor confidence. Apple investors have no confidence at all.
post #13 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

This article suggests iPad sales are surging at least on Black Friday.

And yet IDC is proclaiming today that iPads will falter and lose ground in their sad unwinnable war against Android tablets.

Is the iPad surging or souring? Storming the castle or retreating to the woods?

My guess is that the iPad will increase both sales and market share in 2014 at Android's expense.

I also predict that the Android numbers are grossly even illegally exaggerated.

Because it's all about market share and nothing else matters.  Any company that loses overall market share is considered doomed.  There is a general belief that no company can remain viable with a small amount of market share.  There is the perception that any company or platform that offers cheap products will always come out ahead.  If Wall Street had written about the Battle of Thermopylae, the Greek Army would have suffered defeat in an instant.  Those 300 Spartans would have been crushed in the first wave of the Persian invasion.  After all, how could a small army survive against an overwhelming number of invading forces.  iOS is considered the Spartans and Android is the Persian Army.  Wall Street and the news media believe Apple is as good as dead as the surrounding forces are too much to defend against.  Apple should just throw down its weapons and surrender, right?  Everyone else expects them to get destroyed because overwhelming numbers will ALWAYS win.  Well, that's what everyone hopes because everyone wants to see Apple get slaughtered.

post #14 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Apple investors have no confidence at all.

There is no such thing as an "Apple" investor. Everyone is also simultaneously invested in lots of other assets, including houses, other stocks, bonds, mutual funds, retirement funds etc.

 

In other words, the premise of your post is that an investor somehow behaves differently with one part of their portfolio compared to the other parts of their portfolio. That is nonsensical. Please stop.

post #15 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Further proof that Apple is doomed. If I don't see actual figures, it didn't happen.

Only Jeff Bezos can get away with telling everyone that Amazon sold a boatload of Kindles and no one will dare to second-guess him. Investors and Wall Street believe everything that Jeff Bezos says. If Tim Cook said something like that he'd be called a liar and every analyst would be out to prove Tim Cook wrong. With Jeff Bezos there is never any doubt whatsoever and the share price will climb straight up. All the analysts and news media will just say that Jeff Bezos is a genius who is never wrong. That's real investor confidence. Apple investors have no confidence at all.


That's because you fanbois don't understand innovation.

Jeff just innovates stuff out of his head. To hell with profits or actual sales numbers. We buy books at $10 a piece and sell them back to you at $9 a piece.  That's pure innovation right there. And just you wait and see. Pretty soon, like in 5 to 8 years into the future, Amazon drone multicopters will be flying the city streets and dropping packages on your heads. I just splurged my future vapor like plans onto everybody and you're all supposed to kneel before me, especially Wall Street. That's innovation my friend.

When was the last time Apple innovated anything? Was it 1984? Because everyone knows that touch screens, smartphones and tablets existed way before Apple decided to get into the game.

post #16 of 49
Originally Posted by TheDBA View Post
Thats because you fanbois don't understand innovation. Jeff just innovates stuff out of his head. To hell with profits or actual sales numbers. We buy books at $10 a piece and sell them back to you at $9 a piece.  That's pure innovation right there. And just you wait and see. Pretty soon, like in 5 to 8 years into the future, Amazon drone multicopters will be flying the city streets and dropping packages on your heads. I just splurged my future vapor like plans onto everybody and you're all supposed to kneel before me, especially Wall Street. Thats innovation my friend. When was the last time Apple innovated anything? Was it 1984? Because everyone knows that touch screens, smartphones and tablets existed way before Apple decided to get into the game.

 

Whoops, sorry. This was so believable that I went and reported it. Have a thumb in apology.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #17 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDBA View Post
 


That's because you fanbois don't understand innovation.

Jeff just innovates stuff out of his head. To hell with profits or actual sales numbers. We buy books at $10 a piece and sell them back to you at $9 a piece.  That's pure innovation right there. And just you wait and see. Pretty soon, like in 5 to 8 years into the future, Amazon drone multicopters will be flying the city streets and dropping packages on your heads. I just splurged my future vapor like plans onto everybody and you're all supposed to kneel before me, especially Wall Street. That's innovation my friend.

When was the last time Apple innovated anything? Was it 1984? Because everyone knows that touch screens, smartphones and tablets existed way before Apple decided to get into the game.

...classic!

post #18 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDBA View Post
 


That's because you fanbois don't understand innovation.

Jeff just innovates stuff out of his head. To hell with profits or actual sales numbers. We buy books at $10 a piece and sell them back to you at $9 a piece.  That's pure innovation right there. And just you wait and see. Pretty soon, like in 5 to 8 years into the future, Amazon drone multicopters will be flying the city streets and dropping packages on your heads. I just splurged my future vapor like plans onto everybody and you're all supposed to kneel before me, especially Wall Street. That's innovation my friend.

When was the last time Apple innovated anything? Was it 1984? Because everyone knows that touch screens, smartphones and tablets existed way before Apple decided to get into the game.

I think you forgot a big-ass /sarcasm at the end of that statement...

post #19 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post
 

Why would anyone buy the 4s when the prices are identical?   Ignorant folk out there...

$99 (5c) and free (4s) aren't identical. Then there's the issue that the 4s is a great looking phone while the 5c appeals to a different aesthetic (something I applaud BTW, nice to widen a line's appeal).

post #20 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDBA View Post


That's because you fanbois don't understand innovation.
Jeff just innovates stuff out of his head. To hell with profits or actual sales numbers. We buy books at $10 a piece and sell them back to you at $9 a piece.  That's pure innovation right there. And just you wait and see. Pretty soon, like in 5 to 8 years into the future, Amazon drone multicopters will be flying the city streets and dropping packages on your heads. I just splurged my future vapor like plans onto everybody and you're all supposed to kneel before me, especially Wall Street. That's innovation my friend.
When was the last time Apple innovated anything? Was it 1984? Because everyone knows that touch screens, smartphones and tablets existed way before Apple decided to get into the game.

ROFL ... I enjoyed that, thanks. 1biggrin.gif

That said, my wife is outside right now clearing a place in our yard for the Amazon Drones to land.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #21 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

I think you forgot a big-ass /sarcasm at the end of that statement...

I think some things are really obviously humor ...
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #22 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

This article suggests iPad sales are surging at least on Black Friday.

And yet IDC is proclaiming today that iPads will falter and lose ground in their sad unwinnable war against Android tablets.

Is the iPad surging or souring? Storming the castle or retreating to the woods?

My guess is that the iPad will increase both sales and market share in 2014 at Android's expense.

I also predict that the Android numbers are grossly even illegally exaggerated.

When you include TV dongles running Android that reactivate every two minutes and who knows what else in the 'free in a Christmas Cracker' category those huge Android activation numbers are probably really genuine ... 1wink.gif
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #23 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Whoops, sorry. This was so believable that I went and reported it. Have a thumb in apology.


Now let this be a lesson to all you kids out there. Never shoot from the hip until you have sat down and reflected upon a poster's entry.

Of course there are exceptions to this, like:

1) Zombie apocalypse is among us, then go ahead, shoot from the hip

2) Answering to someone, anyone,  on ZDNet. Definitely go ahead and shoot from the hip.

post #24 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazerCT View Post

Right. The numbers illustrate your point…unless I misunderstood it as sarcasm, in which case I agree.

Welcome to AI and you'd better learn who are the resident clowns quickly if you want to stay safe 1wink.gif
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #25 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDBA View Post


Now let this be a lesson to all you kids out there. Never shoot from the hip until you have sat down and reflected upon a poster's entry.
Of course there are exceptions to this, like:
1) Zombie apocalypse is among us, then go ahead, shoot from the hip
2) Answering to someone, anyone,  on ZDNet. Definitely go ahead and shoot from the hip.

Every time I try that I blow a toe off!
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #26 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Further proof that Apple is doomed. If I don't see actual figures, it didn't happen.

Only Jeff Bezos can get away with telling everyone that Amazon sold a boatload of Kindles and no one will dare to second-guess him. Investors and Wall Street believe everything that Jeff Bezos says. If Tim Cook said something like that he'd be called a liar and every analyst would be out to prove Tim Cook wrong. With Jeff Bezos there is never any doubt whatsoever and the share price will climb straight up. All the analysts and news media will just say that Jeff Bezos is a genius who is never wrong. That's real investor confidence. Apple investors have no confidence at all.

 

Oh, please shut the **** up. You're the worst of these "investors with no confidence" you're slamming, with your incessant rants calling for Cook's head and wanting to get him ousted. You agree the sentiment is irrational, then at the same price you put 100% blame on Cook for the stock price,etc, as if he has 100% control over it, and shitting on him with the utmost venom You make no fucking sense. 

post #27 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post
 

There is no such thing as an "Apple" investor. Everyone is also simultaneously invested in lots of other assets, including houses, other stocks, bonds, mutual funds, retirement funds etc.

 

In other words, the premise of your post is that an investor somehow behaves differently with one part of their portfolio compared to the other parts of their portfolio. That is nonsensical. Please stop.

 Anantksundarum, ... Taking everything you read literally does not always lead to a conducive outcome. 

 

For example: “There is no such thing as an "Apple" investor” .... No? What else would you call anyone who owns one or more shares in Apple ... A Samsung investor?

 

 

You say: “Everyone is also simultaneously invested in lots of other assets” .... I say: Not necessarily, maybe I rent and don’t have any another investments, just 10,000 shares of Apple.

 

You say: “the premise of your post is that an investor somehow behaves differently with one part of their portfolio compared to the other parts of their portfolio. That is nonsensical. Please stop.” .... I say:   It is very unlikely that  people who buy a house use the same “research” to buy shares in apple.

 

Although I hardly ever agree with Constable Odo, in this post, at least, he makes a few salient points.  I think a lot of “Apple investors” get their investing advice from analysts and other advisors and that most of those people are hugely biased by what they read or hear about Apple from the web or TV .... Not a “best case scenario”, I agree, but it is what it is. Therefore, it stands to reason that a lot of the “noise” about Apple does affect Apple stock price because, as we know, even if we tell a lie, if it gets repeated often enough, it “becomes” the truth.  ;)

 

Anantksundarum, reading between the lines can sometimes be very helpful at seeing the true message, right?

See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
post #28 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDBA View Post
 

2) Answering to someone, anyone,  on ZDNet. Definitely go ahead and shoot from the hip.

Or the New York Times, or The Guardian.

post #29 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post
 

Because it's all about market share and nothing else matters.  Any company that loses overall market share is considered doomed.  There is a general belief that no company can remain viable with a small amount of market share.  There is the perception that any company or platform that offers cheap products will always come out ahead.  If Wall Street had written about the Battle of Thermopylae, the Greek Army would have suffered defeat in an instant.  Those 300 Spartans would have been crushed in the first wave of the Persian invasion.  After all, how could a small army survive against an overwhelming number of invading forces.  iOS is considered the Spartans and Android is the Persian Army.  Wall Street and the news media believe Apple is as good as dead as the surrounding forces are too much to defend against.  Apple should just throw down its weapons and surrender, right?  Everyone else expects them to get destroyed because overwhelming numbers will ALWAYS win.  Well, that's what everyone hopes because everyone wants to see Apple get slaughtered.

 

You need to realize Wall Street can be stupid and inefficent in the short term.  They are blinded by their own greed and fear.

 

When the stock was at all time highs at $700 institutional ownership (Wall Street) was at 75%.

When the stock bottomed out at $385 institutional ownership was at 60%.

In other words they bought high and sold low.  Exactly the opposite of what you want to do.  If Wall Street was smart they would have bought at $385-$425 and increased their ownership to 85%.

 

So why does Amazon/Google get the benefit of the doubt?  Check out their institutional ownership and insider ownership percentages.

Google 87%

Amazon 87%

Apple 62%

 

You really think Wall Street will try to hurt Wall Street?  Hell no.  They will be pumping up Google/Amazon until enough of the public buys their shares.  Bottom line is the public was much smarter about Apple than Wall Street.

 

Why do you compare Apple to an Army of 300?

 

They are the most valuable public company in the world.

They have the most valuable NAME BRAND in the world.

They have 70% of High end phone profits in FY2013 (over $500)

They have 85% of High end tablet profits in FY2013 (over $400)

They have 90% of PC/laptop profits

They have 70% of web usage WORLD-WIDE

They have 80% of e-commerce transactions from mobile

 

Anyone with half a brain knows Apple dominates where it matters.  Looking at those numbers the only conclusion that can be made is a vast majority of Android phones are being used as feature phones and the vast majority of Android tablets are being used as video devices.

post #30 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Or the New York Times, or The Guardian.

Was that comment necessary?
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #31 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post
I say: Not necessarily, maybe I rent and don’t have any another investments, just 10,000 shares of Apple.

As an empirical matter, I seriously doubt that any such -- or more than a few such -- investors exist. (As an aside, if they do, they deserve all the investing pain they get for willfully being so under-diversified -- that is just par for the course.)

 

Even if many such people exist, I doubt that those are the marginal -- as opposed to the average -- investors that regularly trade AAPL and thus move prices. Most of the trading volume is due to institutions (incl. HFs and HFTs) who are invested in far more than just AAPL.

 

But you're certainly welcome to believe otherwise. :)

post #32 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Was that comment necessary?

Perhaps I should have clarified: on Apple-related posts, if they sounded like TheDBA.....

post #33 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I was half expecting to see a bump in 5c sales as they are the perfect holiday
gift for grand kids. 1smile.gif

It's still early yet. If a kid has a phone now then how is one going to explain why their current phone is no longer active unless the iPhone is bought at full retail and even then some carriers make it mandatory to activate right there and then.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #34 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDBA View Post
 


That's because you fanbois don't understand innovation.

Jeff just innovates stuff out of his head. To hell with profits or actual sales numbers. We buy books at $10 a piece and sell them back to you at $9 a piece.  That's pure innovation right there. And just you wait and see. Pretty soon, like in 5 to 8 years into the future, Amazon drone multicopters will be flying the city streets and dropping packages on your heads. I just splurged my future vapor like plans onto everybody and you're all supposed to kneel before me, especially Wall Street. That's innovation my friend.

When was the last time Apple innovated anything? Was it 1984? Because everyone knows that touch screens, smartphones and tablets existed way before Apple decided to get into the game.

You win the internet today!

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Reply

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Reply
post #35 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDBA View Post
 


That's because you fanbois don't understand innovation.

Jeff just innovates stuff out of his head. To hell with profits or actual sales numbers. We buy books at $10 a piece and sell them back to you at $9 a piece.  That's pure innovation right there. And just you wait and see. Pretty soon, like in 5 to 8 years into the future, Amazon drone multicopters will be flying the city streets and dropping packages on your heads. I just splurged my future vapor like plans onto everybody and you're all supposed to kneel before me, especially Wall Street. That's innovation my friend.

When was the last time Apple innovated anything? Was it 1984? Because everyone knows that touch screens, smartphones and tablets existed way before Apple decided to get into the game.

 

Exactly.  Not much innovation from Apple after SJ.  It's so obvious with the ipad mini.  First generation no retina display because Apple wanted to keep it as a feature for the 2nd generation.  Then the 2nd generation has sub-standard color problem because it'll be "improved" with the 3rd generation and then consumer may get the touch id with the 4th generation...

post #36 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post
 

$99 (5c) and free (4s) aren't identical. Then there's the issue that the 4s is a great looking phone while the 5c appeals to a different aesthetic (something I applaud BTW, nice to widen a line's appeal).

The article is referencing black friday- in which case, both the 5c and 4s were free- also known as, identical pricing.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #37 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

First point:  ... You need to realize Wall Street can be stupid and inefficent in the short term.  They are blinded by their own greed and fear.


Second point:  ... So why does Amazon/Google get the benefit of the doubt?  Check out their institutional ownership and insider ownership percentages.

 

Google 87%

Amazon 87%

Apple 62%


Final point:  Bottom line is the public was much smarter about Apple than Wall Street. 

The only thing I disagree with you on your first point is the "short term" .... Wall Street can be stupid in the long term as well. However, remember "Wall Street" is made up of small investors as well as institutional investors and, for the most part, the institutional investor is more well versed in playing the "stock market game", and to forget that it is, indeed, a game is to do so at your own peril, .... and I'd be more than willing to bet that the people who are making the institutional trade made off better than the millions of small shareholders who tend to buy or sell "for all the wrong reasons".

 

Second point:  Those figures tell me that Google and Amazon are both better than Apple than selling H & N (hype & noise). Google hypes "moonshots", i.e. driverless cars and such, to make up for the crap that they give away ... while Bozo, oops, Bezos goes on TV to hype driverless delivery "vehicles"  to keep his "ponzi scheme" of a company "alive and well". .... and as we all know, Apple "only" sells the "best in class" hardware and software in the computing industry. I ask you, where's the "magic" in that ?   /s 

 

Final point:   Sorry, I have to strongly disagree here as I firmly believe that the "public" is at a huge disadvantage at playing the stock market game for the simple reason that they don't know all of the rules and whenever it looks like they are starting to "figure it out" the powers to be change them and keep that knowledge to themselves .... until they need another bailout, at least.  ... Not sarcasm!

See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
post #38 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post
 

The article is referencing black friday- in which case, both the 5c and 4s were free- also known as, identical pricing.

The article is where I got those prices, the direct quotes:

"with the iPhone 5c selling for $99 with a new two-year service contract"

 

and

"Rounding out the top Apple devices tracked by the firm was the iPhone 4S, which saw its weekend traffic grow 10 percent after black Friday. The iPhone 4S is available for free with a two-year cellular contract."

post #39 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post
 

As an empirical matter, I seriously doubt that any such -- or more than a few such -- investors exist. (As an aside, if they do, they deserve all the investing pain they get for willfully being so under-diversified -- that is just par for the course.)

 

Even if many such people exist, I doubt that those are the marginal -- as opposed to the average -- investors that regularly trade AAPL and thus move prices. Most of the trading volume is due to institutions (incl. HFs and HFTs) who are invested in far more than just AAPL.

 

But you're certainly welcome to believe otherwise. :)

Well, that's one of my three examples of your taking things too literally (in a post "taking a shot" at Counstable Odo) explained, or not .... care to have a go at the other two?

See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
post #40 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipen View Post
 

 

Exactly.  Not much innovation from Apple after SJ.  It's so obvious with the ipad mini.  First generation no retina display because Apple wanted to keep it as a feature for the 2nd generation.  Then the 2nd generation has sub-standard color problem because it'll be "improved" with the 3rd generation and then consumer may get the touch id with the 4th generation...

 

The display of the 2nd gen iPad Mini is not sub-standard. Tests show it is worse than the Low Temperature Poly Silicon (LTPS) used in Kindle Fire HDX and Nexus 7. LTPS is maybe the best technology commercially available, but the production is seriously limited. No one can provide the necessary quantities for Apple, and so they went with IGZO (which is again constrained, but not as bad as LTPS).

 

Can you make the distinction between "not being the best" and "sub-standard"? When did LTPS become THE STANDARD?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Black Friday propels iPad Air growth by 51%, iPhone 5c surges 26%
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Black Friday propels iPad Air growth by 51%, iPhone 5c surges 26%