or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple rolls out 'Holiday Cheer' playlist with 8 free Christmas songs

Apple rolls out 'Holiday Cheer' playlist with 8 free Christmas songs - Page 3

post #81 of 113

What's better? 8 free song downloads or only 8 free Christmas songs?  I think 8 free song downloads.  Heck, even if I only got 5, it's certainly better than 8 Christmas songs I would never download.  They are probably songs that wouldn't sell very well even if they only sold them. Most Christmas songs don't do that well in the sales department, only a couple have actually made any serious dent in the music industry.  They are usually for artists that have nothing original to do and they just want to promote themselves and have something for sale during a time when people get wrapped up into buying things.

post #82 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I just find it annoying when the gift is religious related because that's what Christmas songs really are.  Christmas is a RELIGIOUS holiday and I'm not of any religion that promotes that holiday.
Please don't be annoyed. I happen to be religious, but don't care for Christmas music in the context of how it's often used to goad shoppers into spending more in stores. However, the assumption that everyone is Christian was much more prominent in the past. A lot of "holiday" music you hear now is free of religious references and celebrates the season.

Apple, has the right to make any promotion they wish, which reaches out to any group they wish. Recently Apple promoted the work to cure AIDS, I'm not gay, so that promotion means far less to me than the cure for cancer. It's good that a company focus their promotions. In some Asian countries Apple promotes gift bags in which some have a valuable Apple product. It appeals to certain cultures and not others.

Now, if you feel "left out" and ignored, I will buy you an iTunes gift card so you can pick out your own songs and feel inclusive and warmed by human compassion during this season of short sunlight and cold days. It will my gift to you, given in the celebration of the coming days of Spring ahead. First, I need your iTunes ID?
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #83 of 113
Quote:

Black Friday?  I stayed away from the stores.  Far away.  Too busy.  I don't buy something JUST because I get a deal on Black Friday.

That was just an example. Besides, if you want/need something and it is on sale on Black Friday, wouldn't that be a good time to get it (notwithstanding crowds?) And notice I wrote, "want/need". I don't buy stuff "just because" it's on sale.
So you don't take advantage of ANYTHING related to any religious holiday? Or are you just being hypocritical?
post #84 of 113

And what's up with Satan Claus?  I mean Santa Claus?  Another fictitious story to manipulate little children?

post #85 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Wow. Talk about the Christmas spirit in this thread..... Yuck.

Back on topic, there are three Christmas albums that are standouts for me -- so much so that I offer money-back guarantees to friends to whom I recommend it (and often give them as stocking stuffers for family):

1) JAZZ TO THE WORLD (some incredible performances by jazz legends such as John McLaughlin, Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea, The Brecker Brothers....)

2) MAHALIA SINGS SONGS OF CHRISTMAS (if her renditions of 'What Child Is This' and 'No Room at the Inn' don't melt your heart, you have no heart....)

3) BRUCE COCKBURN: CHRISTMAS (an amazingly talented, under appreciated Canadian singer/songwriter/guitarist).

All available on iTunes. Merry Christmas! :D 

Don't forget the Bony M Christmas album. One of my favourites songs " Mary's Boy Child" I play every year along the old standbys. I'll definitely look into your mentions...especially Jazz To The World. Pink Floyd I can play anytime of the year.

If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
post #86 of 113
Quote:

Who gives a crap?  It's a religious holiday promoted by a bunch of hypocrite Christians is what it is nowadays.  This world would be much better off with no religion and just honest law abiding people that don't promote hypocrisy.

There's all forms of hypocrisy, not just religious. It's 8 songs, less than $10 worth. You're elitist sense of entitlement has become tiresome. People are corrupt from birth so they'll never be a Utopian society.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #87 of 113
Methinks thou doth protest too much...

You're really a priest, aren't you?
Go on, tell us it ain't so!
LOL
post #88 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Please don't be annoyed. I happen to be religious, but don't care for Christmas music in the context of how it's often used to goad shoppers into spending more in stores. However, the assumption that everyone is Christian was much more prominent in the past. A lot of "holiday" music you hear now is free of religious references and celebrates the season.

Apple, has the right to make any promotion they wish, which reaches out to any group they wish. Recently Apple promoted the work to cure AIDS, I'm not gay, so that promotion means far less to me than the cure for cancer. It's good that a company focus their promotions. In some Asian countries Apple promotes gift bags in which some have a valuable Apple product. It appeals to certain cultures and not others.

Now, if you feel "left out" and ignored, I will buy you an iTunes gift card so you can pick out your own songs and feel inclusive and warmed by human compassion during this season of short sunlight and cold days. It will my gift to you, given in the celebration of the coming days of Spring ahead. First, I need your iTunes ID?

People that get AIDS aren't always gay.  I had a friend of mine who's husband got it and he was in the military so the only plausible thing was he might have contracted it while he was in the military and it just surfaced years later since they didn't do any screening for that virus. This was a long time ago when it first surfaced and people actually knew what it was.  You don't have to buy me any songs, I just think Apple should have just given out whatever many free songs and let people decide what they want to DL. It's not that big of a deal.  But to promote a religious holiday like they are, isn't as they say "KOSHER" in my book.

Well, maybe it's my screen name?

I just feel they would have made MORE people happy to have equal ability to down load some free songs during this time of year and select what they wish.  That's all I was saying.  Even if I was a Christian and was into Christmas, there are other recordings that I probably much prefer to listen to.

BTW, I actually helped someone write a Christmas song and perform on it that was just supposed to be given away to just close family members and friends, but instead, the idiot that had the idea took full credit for writing the song, which he didn't do by himself AND then he starts selling copies of it and he did so without legal permission.  And he calls himself a Christian.  Go figure that one out.  I've dealt with a lot of those types over the years.  He pays other people, but didn't pay me anything and I actually needed money to pay bills since I was out of job and money was not something I had lots of.

post #89 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualZone View Post

Don't forget the Bony M Christmas album. One of my favourites songs " Mary's Boy Child" I play every year along the old standbys. I'll definitely look into your mentions...especially Jazz To The World. Pink Floyd I can play anytime of the year.

Bony M?  Who's that?  Maybe I shouldn't ask.  I liked the Bing Crosby David Bowie version of Drummer Boy because those are two people that are unlikely to be seen in the same room with one another singing a song. 

post #90 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by aelegg View Post

If a town with lots of Christians puts up a Christian Kresh, "That's Nice".
If a town with lots of Jews puts up a Star of David and a Mennorah, "That's Nice."
People who recognize Diversity would say, "That's Nice."

Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
post #91 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

There's all forms of hypocrisy, not just religious. It's 8 songs, less than $10 worth. You're elitist sense of entitlement has become tiresome. People are corrupt from birth so they'll never be a Utopian society.

My elitist?  All I suggested that if they wanted to give away free songs during this time of the year, they should have just done free songs and not been specific that's related to a religious holiday by selecting songs that are associated with that holiday.

People are corrupt from birth?  You really think that?  I think they are taught to be corrupt through various outside sources.

You still haven't answered my question.

Which do you think is better?

A handful of free song downloads or just specific Christmas songs?  It's a simple question that you, for some reason, can't seem to answer.  Seriously, I didn't say they HAD to give away free songs, but if they are, then they should have done it in a manner that wasn't specific to a religious holiday.   And what would you do if the only gave out free Jewish holiday songs or free Hindu holiday songs but no Christian holiday songs during this holiday period?  I think you would be pissed off.

post #92 of 113

I don't think Apple is forcing you to celebrate Christmas, it is offering you some free songs if you want them. If not, don't download them. I do understand that you may not celebrate Christmas, but there are a great many people that do and appreciate the kind gift that Apple is offering. I also don't believe that by offering free songs that anyone if pushing religion on you. If Christianity is not for you, that is your choice that you are free to make, but please allow those of us that do believe in Christ to have the freedom to do so. You mentioned some people don't have jobs, live near loved ones, etc. I have not had the easiest life myself, but that is why I love Jesus. He has sustained me and loved me through all the hard times and my failings and has given me joy and a purpose to life, and I choose to follow Him. 

post #93 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Quote:

Black Friday?  I stayed away from the stores.  Far away.  Too busy.  I don't buy something JUST because I get a deal on Black Friday.

That was just an example. Besides, if you want/need something and it is on sale on Black Friday, wouldn't that be a good time to get it (notwithstanding crowds?) And notice I wrote, "want/need". I don't buy stuff "just because" it's on sale.
So you don't take advantage of ANYTHING related to any religious holiday? Or are you just being hypocritical?

Hypocritical? What are you babbling about now?  I don't go to a store JUST because they are having a Christmas sale.  I go because they have something I want at a discount and I happen to want it or need it. Sometimes it's not even on sale, even though they are having a Christmas sale.   But generally speaking, i don't normally go to ANY store on Black Friday with the exception of maybe getting food.  I usually hate going to malls and stores when they are crowded.   Sometimes it coincides with Christmas and sometimes it doesn't. I got 40% off on some shirts recently because I signed up for a service that notifies you of specific brand name clothing that I like and they survey a bunch of stores and they send you an email listing of what specific products from that clothing mfg are on sale and then you go to the specific store that has it.  I get emails daily, so i just buy which product I want/need and it has nothing to do with Christmas per se.  Sometimes I buy presents that I end up giving to someone during the holiday season that i bought for them months in advance that wasn't even on sale.

I certainly don't wait for Christmas sales to buy something.  I don't think I've ever done that.   Some years when I was buying presents for people because we prearranged that we would exchange presents, I went when the stores weren't so packed to buy something.   I am always miffed by some of these people that get into fist fights at stores during the Christmas Black Friday Sales.  There were some strange ones last week. Plenty of YouTube videos of people at WalMart and other stores. Kind of pathetic.

post #94 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Come on guys, keep religion and politics off this blog. The winter solstice if a time for having fun.
Mithras be praised!
post #95 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Mithras be praised!

Indeed! Pass the egg nog.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
post #96 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Indeed! Pass the egg nog.

What happened to the buttered rum???

We should all sit around an open flame and roast drblank's chestnuts... all in the spirit of Christmas, of course. We could sing some songs as well, I just got 8 free religious Christmas songs off of iTunes. God bless you, Tim Cook, what a wonderful Christian gesture. Don't tell drblank, but Amazon gave away a whole album of Christmas music last year. Stuff about sleigh rides, snowmen, and visiting family over the holidays... that sort of religious drivel. It's about that time of the year I go over to my neighbor's yard and chop down one of his blue spruce while he's at work.

Now, about that buttered rum...? ?
post #97 of 113
Quote:
I certainly don't wait for Christmas sales to buy something.
I never suggested you do.
However, you do take advantage of sales (when you need/want something) that are happening ONLY because of the religious holiday.
That is being hypocritical.
post #98 of 113

I don't see this promotion either - so does it stop at the US border? I'm not Christian, but I do enjoy music written for religious events. I like Schütz, Bach, Händel, Monteverdi, Palestrina, Dufay etc. etc. But this music is probably not included in this promotion? I don't know because the promotion does not appear in my store (I'm outside US).

Let's be realistic though - Christmas is just a celebration put in a time of year when "everybody" was celebrating the winter solstice - the return of the sun. If there ever was a person Jesus, he was not born in year 0, and he was probably not born in December. When you want to convert somebody it isn not a good policy to take a way a feast/celebration they are used to. The vikings celebrated the winter solstice long before they had ever heard of Chrisitanity, and I'm sure most other cultures did the same. SO, yes, most cultures "celebrate" Christmas, but for different reasons.

post #99 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

Thanks for the free stuff Apple, I for one appreciate you offering it whether I take advantage of it or not. Nor will I be offended if you offer different free stuff to others in different locations, it's all good.

Here in the UK you get a free Photo Cookbook!

post #100 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by aelegg View Post

I think people have Diversity backwards.

If Apple released:

8 songs for Christmas, or
8 songs for Hannukah, or
8 songs for a Muslim Holiday, or
8 songs for New Years, or
8 songs for Summer, or
8 songs to celebrate Hungarian Beef Stew,

my reaction would all be the same, "That's Nice".

If a town with lots of Christians puts up a Christian Kresh, "That's Nice".
If a town with lots of Jews puts up a Star of David and a Mennorah, "That's Nice."

I don't understand all the rage when people not in a demographic freak out about expressions from those that are, esp when that demographic is the clear majority.

If Apple was in England, and released Patriotic songs for the Queen's birthday, would Americans freak out that English culture was being rammed down our throats? No.

People who recognize Diversity would say, "That's Nice."

Apple is a US-based company in a country that's generally-Christian that generally recognizes Christmas, even if 25% of US citizens have no religious affliation.

Exactly, people who complain about this aren't interested in diversity. They are only interested in pushing their beliefs on others. Interestingly, it is usually this very behavior that they condemn in their "enemy". Hypocrits.

Oh, and stating that Christmas is a religious (read Christian) holiday is technically true but realistically false. Many of the symbols of Christmas were appropriated from pagan religious practices as a way for Christianity to supplant those earlier religions in Europe. Also, many non-Christians celebrate Christmas around the world as a secular holiday.

Just look at how the Japanese have appropriated Christmas. A nation that is a majority of non-Christians celebrate Christmas, but not as people in the West do. Look up the crucified Santa for an example. Also, fried chicken was a favorite of Japanese to eat during Christmas because of the similarity between Santa and Colonel Sanders. Then there is the fact that many Japanese actually consider Christmas to be a lover's holiday. I read once that it is one of the busiest days for the Japanese Disney World because of the couples who go there on dates.

So, is Christmas really a religious holiday? Yes and no. Even the majority of Christians who celebrate Christmas spend more time on the secular/commercial aspect than the religious.

post #101 of 113
What's hard to understand that it would be better if we ALL got so many free song download credits instead?

Oh, dear. A right ol’ religious argument has broken out here, hasn’t it? Seems a shame: there’s really nothing to talk about regarding the article. 

It’s the Christmas season. Therefore Apple gave out free Christmas songs. If you don’t celebrate Christmas, don’t download the songs. If you don’t celebrate something during the Christmas season, you’re not part of society anyway and wouldn’t have any means to download or listen to them. Shouldn’t be that confusing, yeah?

How come YOU feel entitled to download free songs and not others?

Who on Earth said anything about entitlement other than you?! Why are you entitled to free songs of “any genre” simply because you don’t celebrate anything during Christmas? See what you’re saying here?

post #102 of 113

It's FREE, what is your problem? If you don't celebrate Christmas, that's fine. don't take the FREE gift Apple is providing The simple fact is Apple is giving FREE songs, you can take them or leave them. I don't believe in any religion, and I don't believe in God, but I like the Christmas season. It represents the slow return of the sun to the northern hemisphere. This occasion was celebrated long before the Wise Men and the Baby Jesus.

Get over yourself, it's sour people like you who give atheists like me a bad name.

post #103 of 113

Next you're going to say you don't believe in the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy. You know what no one, and I mean no one gives a hoot about what you believe or don't believe. 

You mentioned buying on Black Friday and made it sound evil. Well, on Cyber Monday (just a Black Friday extension) my printer (8 years old) went kapooy. I got on line and got a fantastic deal saving me $130, it arrives today. What's not to like? The big brown truck will bring me a shiny new printer that now costs $130 more than I paid for it. Joy to the world! What would really be great is if instead of the printer I got one of the new Mac Pros, fully decked out. If that happens I will put a nativity scene on my roof with 20,000 sparkling LED lights, and I will spend all day Christmas Eve in a church praising the Lord Jesus at the top of my lungs.

Why don't you go away and pour boiling water on some ants or something?

post #104 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryd View Post

I don't see this promotion either - so does it stop at the US border? I'm not Christian, but I do enjoy music written for religious events. I like Schütz, Bach, Händel, Monteverdi, Palestrina, Dufay etc. etc. But this music is probably not included in this promotion? I don't know because the promotion does not appear in my store (I'm outside US).

Let's be realistic though - Christmas is just a celebration put in a time of year when "everybody" was celebrating the winter solstice - the return of the sun. If there ever was a person Jesus, he was not born in year 0, and he was probably not born in December. When you want to convert somebody it isn not a good policy to take a way a feast/celebration they are used to. The vikings celebrated the winter solstice long before they had ever heard of Chrisitanity, and I'm sure most other cultures did the same. SO, yes, most cultures "celebrate" Christmas, but for different reasons.

It's tucked away in a weird place: I found it by opening the "Applestore" APP on my iPhone and then scrolling down, one of the group selections was the songs offer, close to the bottom: "Holiday Cheer": when I clicked on it and followed the directions it opened iTunes and once I re-entered my account password and hit "next" on a screen that had a "redeem code" the songs started downloading..

Though there may be something about international copyrights and such that's restricting the offer to the one country...

post #105 of 113
Free Christmas songs. About as popular as free kittens.

This is for the xmas haters, courtesy of DEVO:

Merry Something To You!

Whether You're Christian, Muslim or Jew
Happy Holidays

Any Old Dance That You Like To Do
Happy Holidays

Eat Bite Drink Up Nibble Gobble Chew
Happy Holidays

Believe What You Want To Nothing's Really True
Happy Holidays

Merry Something! To You!
Merry Something! To You!
Merry Something! To You!
Merry Something! To You!

Deedle Deedle Deet Deet, Deedle Deedle Deet Deet
Doodly Doodly Doo!

Deedle Deedle Deet Deet, Deedle Deedle Deet Deet
Doodly Doodly Doo!
Edited by vaporland - 12/5/13 at 9:53am
post #106 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

I don't see it. Is this another example of Apple thinking the world ends at the US border?

Look into your heart for some Holiday Cheer.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #107 of 113
Quote:

And how does getting 8 free Christmas (Christian) songs going to give someone cheer that doesn't celebrate Christian holidays?  To me, that's insulting and offensive.

Blob
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #108 of 113

Can I ask a question about the product? Can these be downloaded via iTunes on a Mac or do you have to use the App Store App?

post #109 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by beakernx01 View Post

Can I ask a question about the product? Can these be downloaded via iTunes on a Mac or do you have to use the App Store App?

They're apparently promoting the Apple Store App itself with this:

"The Holiday Cheer initiative is another exclusive to the official Apple Store app meant to drum up interest in the title. Previous promotions included free apps downloadable through the iOS App Store."

​That said there might be workaround by copying the redemption code… but somewhere on the iTunes store there'd have to be listing for the playlist I would think unless the redemption code itself triggered the playlist download.

post #110 of 113
I really liked the iTunes 2009 Christmas mix I got for free - the Auld Lang Syne track (bluegrass version) in particular was amazing (it's my ringtone, too 1smile.gif
post #111 of 113
Where can I find these 8 songs? Can't find the holiday cheer in the iTunes app or store!
post #112 of 113
It's a bit rich for someone who doesn't celebrate Christmas to complain that they didn't get the unexpected Christmas present that they wanted. Note that there are 12 more presents in a week, will you complain that each of those aren't to your taste either?

I don't celebrate Christmas either, but I hope everyone else that does enjoys the free songs. Merry Christmas, and may your god bless you.

censored

censored

post #113 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

They're apparently promoting the Apple Store App itself with this:

"The Holiday Cheer initiative is another exclusive to the official Apple Store app meant to drum up interest in the title. Previous promotions included free apps downloadable through the iOS App Store."

​That said there might be workaround by copying the redemption code… but somewhere on the iTunes store there'd have to be listing for the playlist I would think
 unless the redemption code itself triggered the playlist download.

A good promotion, because I personally forget there even is an Apple Store app. I always go to the web site instead.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple rolls out 'Holiday Cheer' playlist with 8 free Christmas songs