or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple usurps Dell as most wanted desktop brand for holiday season

Apple usurps Dell as most wanted desktop brand for holiday season

post #1 of 56
For the first time ever, more people have Mac desktops on their holiday wish lists than those made by Dell, according to one analytics firm that also has Apple leading in tablets and streaming set-top boxes.

iMac

Market research firm Parks Associates (via CNET), released new data on Wednesday, which pegged Apple as the No. 1 consumer electronics brand for planned holiday purchases.

"Apple topped the list of intended brands for desktop purchases for the first time this year," said Parks Associates' Director of Consumer Analytics John Barrett. "In 2011 and 2012, Dell was the top desktop brand, but Apple has displaced it, making Apple now the most popular brand across even more key CE categories."

With Dell pushed down to second place in the desktop category, HP comes in third, while Acer and Asus trail the top-five. Apple released its latest iMac update in September, bringing Intel Haswell processors, 802.11ac Wi-Fi connectivity and new Nvidia GeForce 700 graphics to the ultra-slim all-in-one.

While not mentioned in the report, survey respondents may also be looking to buy Apple's upcoming Mac Pro, the company's professional-level desktop that finally received a long-awaited redesign this year.

The cylindrical computer is still very much a niche product with prices starting at $2,999, but many pro and enthusiast users have been pining for radically redesigned machine since it was unveiled in June. Apple has yet to announce a firm release date, but said the Mac Pro will ship in December.

As for the other two categories measured by Parks Associates, Apple is in the top spot for intended tablet purchases, ahead of Amazon's Kindle and Samsung. Microsoft's Surface managed to come in fourth, while Acer pulled up the rear in fifth.

Finally, the Apple TV is the top brand for streaming media devices, edging out the popular Roku lineup. Buffalo, D-Link and NETGEAR rounded out the top-five in that category.

"Being the 'preferred' brand is certainly an advantage, but consumers can still change their minds," Barrett said. "For example, with streaming media players, Apple is the preferred brand, but many shoppers ultimately end up getting a Roku. Last year, among younger (18-34) shoppers for this device, 34% planned to buy an Apple, and 15% planned to buy a Roku. In a later survey of actual purchases, we found 24% bought an Apple TV and 29% bought a Roku player."
post #2 of 56
What's a Dell ???
post #3 of 56

Duuddeeee....you're gettin' Dell!

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #4 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

You missed the ending ... 'poor bastard ..."
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Long on AAPL so biased
post #5 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwinski View Post

What's a Dell ???

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=dell
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #6 of 56
Not at all surprising. Apple stands for quality and innovation and a great integrated user experience across all platforms.

Dell stands for dogs**t.
post #7 of 56

Dell and MS made billions selling crappy hardware and software...bit by bit people are waking up to this fact! Ugh! :)

Edited by christopher126 - 12/4/13 at 5:32pm
post #8 of 56

APPLETV: Just being able to stream your photos to your big screen TV with a little light jazz playing in the background is worth $99!

My friends are mesmerized by it. I just have it on while having drinks and making a little din din and they love it. I make sure there are a few  photos of them mixed in. They love it when a photo of them "Ken Burns" across the screen.

My GF, "BJ" - (not her real name!) thinks I'm a genius! 

Thanks Apple! :)

Edited by christopher126 - 12/4/13 at 5:33pm
post #9 of 56

Dude....

post #10 of 56

Awww, Dell.  It's like a walk down memory lane!

Every new Dell computer should come with a blast from the past care package that includes stuff like: Gavin Rossdale's Love Remains the Same, a boxed DVD set of Chuck or Battlestar Galactica, and Wii Mario Kart.  (Wasn't 2008 the peak of Dell©?)

Suggested ad slogans for Dell Computer today:

It's not your grandfather's Dell. ©

Dell.  Own Piece of Yesteryear. ©

Dude you're getting a Dell.  And I'm so sorry!  I'm just so tapped out this year, it's all I could afford. ©

Dell.  The dude is clean.  He went to rehab for marijuana possession.  Seriously. ©

Ya, we KNOW the "E" is crooked.  Deal with it! ©

And our favorite slogan, written by Michael Dell himself:

"Shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders."

post #11 of 56
I have yet to go into a store that sells the AppleTV, other than the Apple Store, and have the sales person actually push any Apple product.
post #12 of 56

Not all dell products are all that bad.  The majority of their consumer level machines aren't that great especially when compared to their competitors.

Some of their products were great for what you got for the money.  These were more at the high end corporate level though so regular people would never see them.  This includes some of their better monitors. 

post #13 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

For the first time ever, more people have Mac desktops on their holiday wish lists than those made by Dell, according to Santa Claus who also has Apple leading in tablets and streaming set-top boxes.

There, fixed that. You can't fool me! There is only one person who could possibly know this for a fact (except maybe his wife and a couple of elfs).

post #14 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Dude....

OMG I just threw up ...
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #15 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyC2013 View Post

Not all dell products are all that bad.  The majority of their consumer level machines aren't that great especially when compared to their competitors.

Some of their products were great for what you got for the money.  These were more at the high end corporate level though so regular people would never see them.  This includes some of their better monitors. 

Let's all be honest here, at the consumer level it is junk hardware running an even more junk OS as in Microcrap, although running Linux they made good servers.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #16 of 56
Ppl wanted a Dell?

wj
post #17 of 56

LOL Dell? A most wanted brand? Christmas 2001 was so 12 years ago.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #18 of 56
Quote:
Apple usurps Dell as most wanted desktop brand for holiday season
Do those users really want a Dell or is that simply what they will accept?
post #19 of 56
Acer and Asus? Seriously? Who asks for either one of those brands.The only reason people walk out of a store with one of those is because it had the cheapest price. And aren't all those Windows computers the same anyway? Just the box is different.
post #20 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

LOL Dell? A most wanted brand? Christmas 2001 was so 12 years ago.

The bad old days for sure. Let's not forget Gateway's cows or better yet the IBM PC .... all in the graveyard created by Microshit ... and they just keep digging.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #21 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stourque View Post

Acer and Asus? Seriously? Who asks for either one of those brands.The only reason people walk out of a store with one of those is because it had the cheapest price. And aren't all those Windows computers the same anyway? Just the box is different.

Come on, surely there are big differences ... Don't some crap out sooner than others?
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #22 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

I have yet to go into a store that sells the AppleTV, other than the Apple Store, and have the sales person actually push any Apple product.
Man you should've came the the best buy I worked at! I used to train the sales people on the apple products and they'd be drooling at the Apple TV. Now that chromecast stick thingy is out, Apple TV looks even better!
"Being in power is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher
"Being in power is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher
post #23 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Come on, surely there are big differences ... Don't some crap out sooner than others?
Yeah bought an asus router to go with someone's brand new acer laptop. Both were DOA. I just had to chuckle a little bit.
post #24 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stourque View Post

i think Acer is considered a cheap brand, but Asus is highly respected at least for their motherboards. Their Zenbooks are also among the better ultrabooks out there.

post #25 of 56
Quote:

OMG I just threw up ...

Oh come on...you miss those commercials. I know you do! :D

post #26 of 56
Quote:

Oh come on...you miss those commercials. I know you do! 1biggrin.gif

It's a tough call which I miss most ... That one or Verizon's 'can up you hear me now ....' 1hmm.gif
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #27 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmb0037 View Post

Yeah bought an asus router to go with someone's brand new acer laptop. Both were DOA. I just had to chuckle a little bit.

I think you are brave just saying 'asus router!'
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #28 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

There, fixed that. You can't fool me! There is only one person who could possibly know this for a fact (except maybe his wife and a couple of elfs).

Edward Snowden leaked Santa's List I bet!
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #29 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Dude....

I guess Michael should shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders....

post #30 of 56
You mean some people WANT Dells, rather than just getting them out of habit or because they see what sounds like a good pricing deal? That's actually quite a surprise to me, and at odds with my personal observations. (I think the survey is more accurate than the headline: "plan" is different from "want." I plan to go to the dentist, but...)

The Dude abides.
post #31 of 56
Quote:

Is that new coal in the stocking?

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #32 of 56
Who wanted a Dell before?
post #33 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

"Now that's what we call magical!"
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #34 of 56

Yay - go the Mac!

I'm surprised that Dell is above HP actually, for some reason I thought it was the other way around.

post #35 of 56
Give back the shareholders money, Dell
post #36 of 56

No one in their right mind would buy Dell!

post #37 of 56
Dell and Microsoft catered to business users. Dell used to have an awesome customer service for companies. Saying Dell sold "dogsh*t" is insulting to all the people who had a Dell.

Actually, for having opened a Dell (ex-gf's), it was a breeze to repair. Can't say the same of my MBA, or even an old MacBook Air (not to mention the computer I owned a decade ago, made by that horrible company out of hell, Fujitsu-Siemens. Bought out of 'german technology is good'. Yeah, right.).

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #38 of 56
Quote:

Let's all be honest here, at the consumer level it is junk hardware running an even more junk OS as in Microcrap, although running Linux they made good servers.

Here at the studio, we have Macs, Dell server racks and Dell monitors. iPads, too. All of them, actually ^^

All models... not the whole stock of iPads ever built... that would be useless ;)

post #39 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Who doesn't want a BJ...

post #40 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Yay - go the Mac!

I'm surprised that Dell is above HP actually, for some reason I thought it was the other way around.

My brother-in-law, a pretty smart guy, only buys HP's from Costco. In the last eight years, I've had the same iMac and he has had to replace his HP's 4 times! Ugh!

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple usurps Dell as most wanted desktop brand for holiday season