or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple usurps Dell as most wanted desktop brand for holiday season

Apple usurps Dell as most wanted desktop brand for holiday season - Page 2

post #41 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

My brother-in-law, a pretty smart guy, only buys HP's from Costco. In the last eight years, I've had the same iMac and he has had to replace his HP's 4 times! Ugh!

HP's are horrible. They make good printers, but horrible, horrible computers.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #42 of 56

I agree, Lilghtknight! :)

post #43 of 56
Quote:

My brother-in-law, a pretty smart guy, only buys HP's from Costco. In the last eight years, I've had the same iMac and he has had to replace his HP's 4 times! Ugh!

New tag lines:

Mac. The highest value for the least amount of money.

Apple Tax. All in the mind of WintelSheep
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #44 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Who doesn't want a BJ...

I don't think that the OP gave that naming scheme much thought. lol.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #45 of 56
Apple usurps Dell as most wanted desktop brand for holiday season

I’m surprised that no one else mentioned how completely and utterly awful this title is. It’s just totally wrong. Period.

Dell has never been the most wanted brand. They’ve been the most purchased, but never wanted. No one wants a Dell, no one has ever said they wanted a Dell, and none of these surveys have ever had Apple anywhere but the top. “Want” and “will buy” are different. People don’t want Dell, they’ve settled for it because they’re cheap.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
post #46 of 56

I bought a Dell U3011 30" monitor on Craigslist recently for $600. This was originally a $1600+ monitor.

It has a DisplayPort interface as well as HDMI. It works fantastic with my 2011 Core I7 MBP and also my current-gen Apple TV.

Dell has some good products - this monitor puts the Apple 30" Studio Display of the same era to shame. Once my brother (graphics systems professional) digitally calibrated the monitor, the color is balanced and text is sharp.

Dell also still gets a lot of respect from business in the server world - especially Windows Servers. They still offer 1 hour repair response for those that can afford it.

Problem is, everyone's moving to cloud-based CaaS (crap as a service). Companies buying (Windows) servers today are the same dwindling market that companies buying mainframes were in the early 90s.

Dell hasn't had a hit product since their laptops and desktops of a decade ago. None of their iPod competitors ever gained traction and they've had no successful phones or tablets.

In short, they are buggy whip manufacturers. They make stuff that less and less customers will want and have not offered any 21st century products that the marketplace wants to buy.

They kind of want to be IBM - offering 'business consulting services'. Problem is, even IBM is having trouble sustaining margins in consulting.

Meanwhile Apple chugs along, redefining industries and reaping 30+% margins on most products.

Interesting to say the least...

post #47 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporland View Post

I bought a Dell U3011 30" monitor on Craigslist recently for $600. This was originally a $1600+ monitor.

It has a DisplayPort interface as well as HDMI. It works fantastic with my 2011 Core I7 MBP and also my current-gen Apple TV.

Dell has some good products - this monitor puts the Apple 30" Studio Display of the same era to shame. Once my brother (graphics systems professional) digitally calibrated the monitor, the color is balanced and text is sharp.

Dell also still gets a lot of respect from business in the server world - especially Windows Servers. They still offer 1 hour repair response for those that can afford it.

Problem is, everyone's moving to cloud-based CaaS (crap as a service). Companies buying (Windows) servers today are the same dwindling market that companies buying mainframes were in the early 90s.

Dell hasn't had a hit product since their laptops and desktops of a decade ago. None of their iPod competitors ever gained traction and they've had no successful phones or tablets.

In short, they are buggy whip manufacturers. They make stuff that less and less customers will want and have not offered any 21st century products that the marketplace wants to buy.

They kind of want to be IBM - offering 'business consulting services'. Problem is, even IBM is having trouble sustaining margins in consulting.

Meanwhile Apple chugs along, redefining industries and reaping 30+% margins on most products.

Interesting to say the least...

So a 1600 dollar monitor that needs calibration by a graphics expert is comparable to a 999 dollar display that comes calibrated.  Or am I missing something?

I recently downgraded from an Apple Thunderbolt display to a  Dell that cost almost exactly the same price at work.  This monitor is atrocious - it has a soft screen and only DVI, lower resolution, is chunky hot plastic.  Shocked they were the same price point.

post #48 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

So a 1600 dollar monitor that needs calibration by a graphics expert is comparable to a 999 dollar display that comes calibrated.  Or am I missing something?

I recently downgraded from an Apple Thunderbolt display to a  Dell that cost almost exactly the same price at work.  This monitor is atrocious - it has a soft screen and only DVI, lower resolution, is chunky hot plastic.  Shocked they were the same price point.

Every display should be calibrated for optimal performance especially since lighting conditions vary.
post #49 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporland View Post

Dell has some good products - this monitor puts the Apple 30" Studio Display of the same era to shame.

How is it different from the 30" ACD from Apple? I have that one, still works fine. Love the fact that it's matte. Don't need DP, nor HDMI. But YMMV. This came out for $3299, I got it for €1300 when it was EOLed.

The Dell isn't available anymore I see:
https://www.dell.com/ed/business/p/dell-u3011/pd

But enjoy, these 30" are fantastic.
post #50 of 56
Quote:

Sounds like the typical delusional PC user who keeps thinking Mac's are too expensive, until you look and see how many PC's you need to own during a certain time frame and realize a single Mac would've done you well over the same time.

I guess some people just like wasting money :)

post #51 of 56
@rob53 have you been to a Best Buy store? I've seen Apple TV there. I think you are right about a sales person pushing an Apple product. Apple doesn't play the spiff for salesmen game (at least they did not in the past). Some companies pay commissions directly to salesmen for selling their products. That is an important reason to usually disregard the opinion of the salesman. He (or she) is not always a disinterested party.
post #52 of 56

I think it's time for Mr. Dell to go dig a hole and stuck his head in it.

post #53 of 56

This is a funny and very ironic story as for the first time I want a Dell Product this Christmas instead of an Apple. I would really like a Dell Venue 8 Pro, such a cool little gadget for the price. I was going to go with the iPad Mini but I already have the normal size iPad Air and it would just be a waste.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #54 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

This is a funny and very ironic story as for the first time I want a Dell Product this Christmas instead of an Apple. I would really like a Dell Venue 8 Pro, such a cool little gadget for the price. I was going to go with the iPad Mini but I already have the normal size iPad Air and it would just be a waste.

It looks coolish, a bit thick if it's in a case I think, and if I tick on all Dell Recommended options, it's a $ 529 - $ 30 = $ 497 device, and it doesn't seem to have cellular. Found it: "1 x 3FF micro-SIM slot (coming soon, optional with WWAN configuration)" though I don't know what soon means. The 2GB RAM should be more than enough, as the 1.8GHz CPU

Won't the Anti-virus scanner degrade performance? I really wouldn't know; no experience with this.

Is there and Wintel tablet that runs WP8? Looking at the 2nd picture, where they show the 'pictures app' I don't think they make the best use of the entire screen.
post #55 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

You are actually missing something, but you're not alone. Most people are completely clueless when it comes to displays. There are people who know far more than myself, but if you want a decent easily digestible reference, try the wiki. Chromix keeps it updated. I've pointed this out before, but both Dell and Apple calibrate in some way. Dell did get in trouble a few years ago with uniformity issues. At the time they just ran a calibration in the center. I'm not sure of the tools used or how the adjustments were applied. Apple has mentioned a bit about how they calibrate, but they worded it in marketing language. Typically at the factory level, they may have some ability to tweak hardware levels. After that, you have no access to bare metal adjustments. The closest would be what is offered by displays marketed for professional use. Those manufacturers bypass a portion of the profiling adjustment, implementing only the characteristic description in the ICC profile and leaving all curves to linear. They use DDC or usb cables to update LUTs that are stored internally on a given display. Some of them have some amount of uniformity correction by slightly reducing the dynamic range of the display, which is helpful because panels do have variation. Calibration runs a pretty wide gamut in terms of methods applied, and most of them won't tell you exactly what they do. Eizo is the only brand I know of that is semi-transparent. They mention the device model used and provide a table indicating the measured deviation from their reference across  28 patches. I'll scan it if you don't believe me. Some just measure center only.

The last things to mention would be that colorimeters are not reference grade devices. This means that they always have to do some kind of calibration at the factory where they have the appropriate equipment. It makes me laugh (in a really nerdy way) when people mention that their calibration software says their display is only .2 ∆E off without mentioning target or considering the fact that the colorimeter itself is nowhere near that accurate. As I mentioned, people are clueless. The last last would be that all displays shift over time. Some do it less than others, but it does happen. They also shift as they warm up. This is a big deal when setting the levels at a factory.

post #56 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Won't the Anti-virus scanner degrade performance? I really wouldn't know; no experience with this.

Does one even need anti-virus for windows these days? XP had many exploits, but MS got serious about windows security starting with Vista. Modern windows is no weaker than OS X or most linux distributions in terms of security design. At any rate, the anti-virus/malware tool that's built into windows is far less obtrusive than the stuff peddled by companies like Symantec or McAfee. 

Edited by d4NjvRzf - 12/6/13 at 7:37pm
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple usurps Dell as most wanted desktop brand for holiday season