or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Justin Bieber wanted $200k to represent BlackBerry, advertises iPhone for free

Justin Bieber wanted $200k to represent BlackBerry, advertises iPhone for free

post #1 of 39
A retrospective on the "Rise and Fall of Blackberry," which portrayed the company's product alongside other historical artifacts (including the magazine itself), outlines a number of mistakes the company made including the dismissal of a "brand ambassador" offer made by teen idol Justin Bieber.

BusinessWeek relics

Bieber, who like BlackBerry (formerly Research In Motion) is Canadian, was mentioned in a new BusinesssWeek report by Vincent Washington, a senior business development manager at the company from 2001 through 2011.

BlackBerry blows Bieber's RIM job offer

"One thing we missed out on," Washinton stated, "was that Justin Bieber wanted to rep BlackBerry. He said, 'Give me $200,000 and 20 devices, and I'm your brand ambassador,' basically.

"And we pitched that to marketing: Here's a Canadian kid, he grew up here, all the teeny-boppers will love that. They basically threw us out of the room. They said, 'This kid is a fad. He's not going to last.' I said at the meeting: 'This kid might outlive RIM.' Everyone laughed."

Washington didn't say exactly when the offer was made. Bieber is now 19. He achieved his superstardom after being discovered by a talent manager on YouTube in 2008, and released his first album in 2010. By 2012 he was listed by Forbes as begin the third most powerful celebrity.

BlackBerry goes down on Bieber's rise

Bieber's rapid ascent as a pop star occured in reverse of BlackBerry's ailing fortunes. The company discovered iPhone competition in 2008 when Apple temporarily passed the company to become America's best selling smartphone platform in the fall quarter.

By 2010, Steve Jobs could say, "We've now passed RIM. I don't see them catching up with us in the foreseeable future. It will be a challenge for them to create a mobile software platform and convince developers to support a third platform."

Apple is currently listed by Forbes as begin the world's most valuable brand.

Apple gets Bieber's milk for free

It's not clear how much value Bieber could have offered Blackberry. The company subsequently announced a similar "brand ambassador" deal with Alicia Keys at the beginning of 2013, but the most newsworthy aspect of that relationship was Keys' tweeting from her iPhone just a couple weeks after the announcement.

Last year, Oprah Winfrey similarly used her iPad to send out a tweet endorsing Microsoft's Surface, and at least three times this year, sports celebrities and executives retained by Samsung have forwarded Twitter ads to their legions of followers tagged with "Twitter for iPhone."

Apple hasn't announced any "creative director" or "brand ambassador" endorsement deals with celebrities to promote iPhone or iPad, but celebrities continue to use the company's products anyway. Last year, Justin Bieber used Instagram and Twitter to send a selfie to his online fans with the quickly typed message "Took this on my Iphone 5 the front camera is definitely clearer."

September 22, 2012

Over 45.5 thousand Twitter followers retweeted the message and 321,000 Instagram followers "liked" the image.

"I have a iPhone 5c it's blue and shining with awesomeness," one girl posted in reply, adding in a second comment, "Like u."

Celebrities and the Ping of death

Having celebrity support doesn't necessarily make up for a weak product however. A recent report by Reuters noted that despite an "aggressive marketing and promotion splurge," Samsung's $14 billion budget for ads and promotion "doesn't always bring the desired result," an instead has alienated audiences with its over the top product placement.

Apple's effort to build social sharing features into iTunes via Ping also failed despite support from pop icons Lady Gaga (who endorsed Ping with an immediately popular profile page and recorded a video presented by Jobs, above) and Coldplay's Chris Martin, who performed at the end of Apple's Ping announcement. Britney Spears, Katy Perry and U2 also created early Ping account pages.

Part of Ping's demise was related to the fact that Apple didn't maintain Ping as a real social network, but instead censored posts (including Gaga's) to avoid potentially offending anyone. Combined with ineffectual spam management and a blockade by Facebook seeking to extort more user data from Apple, not even the world's top stars could maintain its relevance.
post #2 of 39
It is not Justin Bieber's fault that he is Canadian but Blackberry has a choice in where they locate and more importantly who they choose to represent them. They also chose to rest on their laurels and make no effort to compete in the market with Apple. BB deserve everything they have gotten in the past and now in the future.
post #3 of 39

That Alicia Keys, Oprah and others have been "caught", as it were, tweeting from their iphones when they're supposed to be shilling for competitors does more for Apple's brand than any compensated brand ambassador could, IMO.

post #4 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

BlackBerry goes down on Bieber's rise

you should fire the twelve-year old who wrote this crap.
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
post #5 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Almost sprayed my coffee out of my nose when I read this.  Only DED could have come up with this.  Hilarious. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

What crap?  Word for word, he's precisely right.  Are you reading this differently??  Hmmm... OH!!  OMG!!! You need to get your mind out of the gutter... /s

post #6 of 39
If BB offered me $200,000 I'd shill for them every minute of every day, and troll this site like there's no tomorrow 1smile.gif
post #7 of 39

BlackBerry bosses made a lot of mistakes, but I'll give them a pass on not being fans of Bieber.

censored

censored

post #8 of 39
Quote:

If you'd like to point out the technical inaccuracies I'm sure AI will be happy to correct them.

<< snigger >>
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
post #9 of 39
They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #10 of 39
This is a bizarre and perverse article. Dilger should be fired.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #11 of 39
Quote:
 ...listed by Forbes as third most powerful celebrity...

What is the nature of this 'power', can he cure cancer with his touch, does he glow in the dark, can be bed 101 sweet 16 year olds in an afternoon without taking his trousers off? Whatever the this power is, I think we should be told.

post #12 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

What is the nature of this 'power', can he cure cancer with his touch, does he glow in the dark, can be bed 101 sweet 16 year olds in an afternoon without taking his trousers off? Whatever the this power is, I think we should be told.

Celebrity marketing power (influence).

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

post #13 of 39

"BlackBerry blows Bieber's RIM job offer"

"Apple gets Bieber's milk for free" 

"BlackBerry goes down on Bieber's rise"

Things that make you go :???:

Edited by gwmac - 12/5/13 at 3:48pm
post #14 of 39

and Force Lightning.

censored

censored

post #15 of 39

Justin Bieber made over $75 million in 2012!  $200K and 20 phones is a giveaway!  BB should take him up on it!  Tons of PR go or bad for BB!

post #16 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Wild View Post

Justin Bieber made over $75 million in 2012!  $200K and 20 phones is a giveaway!  BB should take him up on it!  Tons of PR go or bad for BB!

I'm guessing that this happened several years ago.
post #17 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

"BlackBerry blows Bieber's RIM job offer"

"Apple gets Bieber's milk for free" 

"BlackBerry goes down on Bieber's rise"

Things that make you go :???:

At least we're having fun; best titles I've read all night ;)

post #18 of 39
Quote:
...listed by Forbes as third most powerful celebrity...
Quote:

Celebrity power is defined as the ability to push real news off the news because the celebrity did something... anything... For example, Kim Kardashian can make a fatal train wreck disappear from all the news sources by merely showing up to a non-event in a dress that shows off her extra wide ass.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #19 of 39

Bieber would be an ass-ome brand ambassador for iPhone 5c

Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
post #20 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Bieber would be an ass-ome brand ambassador for iPhone 5c

5C is for suckers!  For another $100s; you get the metal case, A7 SoC(5X faster then A6), M7 Chip and Touch ID!  Plus, if you plan on reselling it and buy it in Champagne Color; you can get $100 more for it then other colors.  No data on resell on 5C but it not selling well; so reselling it will be more discounted.

Justin probably would refuse the 5C as an endorsement unless Apple puts out "big" money to him - say $200 million for an annually contract probably would make his agent force him to do it!  Otherwise; he using the Champagne 5S - for free!

Edited by Harry Wild - 12/6/13 at 3:24am
post #21 of 39
Quote:

No data on resell on 5C but it not selling well; so reselling it will be more discounted.

There's no data because people aren't selling their used iPhones 5c yet.
post #22 of 39
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

This is a bizarre and perverse article. Dilger should be fired.

I would imagine that articles get submitted for approval before being published.  The fact that this got put on the site in the first place would then signal that AI is okay with it.  While certainly more sexual, this article is at the same level of professionalism as DED's other articles.  If AI is okay with DED writing articles that reference sexual acts involving barely legal teen boys (Bieber is 19 so he is legal) then that's their prerogative.

Edited by DroidFTW - 12/5/13 at 7:26pm
post #23 of 39

If they were smart, they'd pay $400K to the little no-talent piss-pot to actually never mention their company or products.

post #24 of 39
I fucking love you Daniel Eran Dilger. Love your articles. Make my day every time !
post #25 of 39
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

What crap?  Word for word, he's precisely right.  Are you reading this differently??  Hmmm... OH!!  OMG!!! You need to get your mind out of the gutter... /s

I think he is in a bad mood because RIM screwed the Pooch on this one .... LOL. 
post #26 of 39

The tantrum throwing against journalists and analysts was a bit much as it was tainting almost every article. Now he has escalated to adolescent trash. He has more than a few issues.

post #27 of 39

Just got more details on Justin Bieber and $200K and 20 devices.  Several years back; I guess it was Justin's idea and it got to the head of marketing to say yeah or nay on the offer!  They turn it down!  Now, that was a super bad foolish move on BB part!  $200K is nothing for a worldwide celebrity like Justin Bieber.  He is going break the $100 million a year in 2013 according to Forbes estimates.

post #28 of 39
Celebrities never saved any brand that puts out dated and subpar products. If you are not on top of the pack in tech and innovate, you won't last long. Smartphone segment is more about function and lifestyles now and Blackberry is way behind.
post #29 of 39

Apple should pay Bieber $200k to use a Blackberry.

post #30 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techboy View Post

Celebrities never saved any brand that puts out dated and subpar products. If you are not on top of the pack in tech and innovate, you won't last long. Smartphone segment is more about function and lifestyles now and Blackberry is way behind.

Why is the U.S. federal government using Blackberrys for their top employees then.  Case in point - President Obama and his staff/cabinet all have Blackberry smartphones.

post #31 of 39
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techboy View Post

Why is the U.S. federal government using Blackberrys for their top employees then.  Case in point - President Obama and his staff/cabinet all have Blackberry smartphones.

Yeah, that's right, the US government, that beacon of high-tech.....
post #32 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

If BB offered me $200,000 I'd shill for them every minute of every day, and troll this site like there's no tomorrow 1smile.gif

From your iPhone? :)

post #33 of 39

Wow.  Any company who could get a Bieber endorsement for $200k would be insane to say no.  His regular rate is WAY more than that.  

post #34 of 39
Quote:

Ummm... it's called influence.  

post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroTech View Post

It is not Justin Bieber's fault that he is Canadian but Blackberry has a choice in where they locate and more importantly who they choose to represent them. They also chose to rest on their laurels and make no effort to compete in the market with Apple. BB deserve everything they have gotten in the past and now in the future.

Are you suggesting that "being Canadian" is somehow a bad thing?

post #36 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

Are you suggesting that "being Canadian" is somehow a bad thing?

Yes. He is.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #37 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodycurmudgeon View Post

Another epic DED steaming pile of shit, this time it's even laced with infantile sexual innuendo.

Nice job you two bit hack.

Your obsessive, vitriolic hate in all your posts towards DED is hilarious. Why the **** do you even visit this site if you despise the owner so much? He's responsible for much of the content, so logic dictates you should go elsewhere instead of vehemently attacking him personally and everything he writes.

Oh, and get that stick outif your ass. The topic isn't exactly super serious, its Justin beiber. The guy uses sexual innuendo in most of his songs.
Edited by Slurpy - 12/6/13 at 12:41pm
post #38 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Your obsessive, vitriolic hate in all your posts towards DED is hilarious. Why the **** do you even visit this site if you despise the owner so much? He's responsible for much of the content, so logic dictates you should go elsewhere instead of vehemently attacking him personally and everything he writes.

I don't think DED is the owner of AI. He's simply one of the Contributing Editors, albeit one of the more controversial ones. Nothing wrong with that.

Of course since Kasper Jade, the supposed publisher, is apparently a pseudonym and not a real person and DED has been known to use various made up names for different purposes Kasper could possibly be yet another of his monikers. No idea on that really. There's probably some here who know the story.

In any case stooping to name-calling with any member here is juvenile. I would hope we all have enough intelligence to form cohegent arguments and present them in an adult manner rather than falling back on how we dealt with junior high. To be honest I feel DED is usually pretty accurate in most cases despite whether you agree with the way he presents it.
Edited by Gatorguy - 12/6/13 at 1:14pm
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #39 of 39
Quote:

Yes, but that isn’t actually any kind of leg up for Blackberry. It’s only because they have those systems already in place and ‘certified’ from years ago.

When I was in the Navy, the CIC (combat information center) I worked in had 20-year-old (or older) hardware ONLY because it takes forever to do upgrade cycles in the military and government (the process of “certifying” alone is a years-long endeavor).

You can also be assured that the blackberry the president uses isn’t “stock”. Really the only part of it that is still “Blackberry” is the handset itself and the core platform. The system it runs is completely customized. They just haven’t finished porting all that to another platform yet (I get the sense that iOS is the prime candidate to replace it though).

Considering how fast Blackberry is sinking, I’d say the government had better get on that, no?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Justin Bieber wanted $200k to represent BlackBerry, advertises iPhone for free
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Justin Bieber wanted $200k to represent BlackBerry, advertises iPhone for free