or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Nelson Mandela Remembered- 1918 - 2013

Nelson Mandela Remembered- 1918 - 2013

post #1 of 11
He cofounded a violent terrorist organisation who's policy was to bomb innocent civilians and brutally torture people to death, but dramatically changed his ways in later life, uniting whites and blacks to bring some justice, respect and equality between the two distinctly different races, and tribes. An inspirational figure to many, and hopefully terrorists everywhere will see that it's through kindness and respect that the biggest prizes are won, not through violence.

One thing that didn't go unnoticed in today's celebration of Mandela's life was FLOTUS Michelle Obama's disdain for her husbands humour and playfulness. Hell hath no fury...

Eventually she got them to sit apart, plonking herself in between them and turning her back on the rather spritely and glamorous Danish PM. I can't help think she might have issues with blondes!
Edited by Hands Sandon - 12/10/13 at 1:13pm
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #2 of 11

'Selfie' diplomacy: Michelle Obama looks unamused by Barack's joking with Danish prime minister

AP Photo/Matt Dunham

AP Photo/Matt Dunham

AP Photo/Matt Dunham

BbIsT9ZIQAAsXRj.jpg:large MANDELA-OBAMAS_2761659c.jpg 

Edited by Hands Sandon - 12/10/13 at 1:32pm
post #3 of 11

I'm not of the view that funerals have to be dire affairs where everyone does nothing but cry. Part of missing someone in death is celebrating life. I'm sure President Obama acted appropriate during the funeral. This was a huge affair. I'm sure it took substantial time to get everyone in and out. I don't see anything wrong with what he did.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I'm not of the view that funerals have to be dire affairs where everyone does nothing but cry. Part of missing someone in death is celebrating life. I'm sure President Obama acted appropriate during the funeral. This was a huge affair. I'm sure it took substantial time to get everyone in and out. I don't see anything wrong with what he did.

Agreed. Michelle is just anti-fun. I bet Obama hates her negativity. She needs to lighten up!

post #5 of 11

Well, you just can't make this stuff up. No, you can-

"The interpreter who signed Nelson Mandela's memorial on Thursday for deaf viewers was a fake, according to experts.

The man, who signed for a portion of the ceremony including US President Barack Obama's speech, was simply making up his own signs, the Deaf Federation of South Africa has said.

Wilma Newhoudt, a member of the ruling party and the first deaf woman to be elected to the South African Parliament, said the man communicated nothing with his hand and arm movements.

South African Sign Language interpreter Francois Deysel said on Twitter that the interpreter was "making a mockery of our profession"."

The video-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/southafrica/10510455/Nelson-Mandela-memorial-interpreter-was-a-fake.html

obama3_2762232c.jpg

Bonus addition- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/nelson-mandela/10511569/Translated-what-the-Mandela-signer-was-really-saying.html
Edited by Hands Sandon - 12/11/13 at 11:07am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Well, you just can't make this stuff up. No, you can-

"The interpreter who signed Nelson Mandela's memorial on Thursday for deaf viewers was a fake, according to experts.

The man, who signed for a portion of the ceremony including US President Barack Obama's speech, was simply making up his own signs, the Deaf Federation of South Africa has said.

Wilma Newhoudt, a member of the ruling party and the first deaf woman to be elected to the South African Parliament, said the man communicated nothing with his hand and arm movements.

South African Sign Language interpreter Francois Deysel said on Twitter that the interpreter was "making a mockery of our profession"."

The video-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/southafrica/10510455/Nelson-Mandela-memorial-interpreter-was-a-fake.html

obama3_2762232c.jpg

Bonus addition- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/nelson-mandela/10511569/Translated-what-the-Mandela-signer-was-really-saying.html

How this guy got so close to the POTUS is beyond me. There will be some extra discussions amongst the security detail this week.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #7 of 11
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Oh, also: this.

"There was nothing I could do. I was alone in a very dangerous situation," he told Johannesburg daily The Star, adding that he was hearing voices and hallucinating.

"I tried to control myself and not show the world what was going on. I am very sorry. It's the situation I found myself in," he added.

the government could not track down the company Jantjie worked for.
 "Life is unfair. This illness is unfair," he said.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, also: this.

And this-

"A South African sign language interpreter accused of making up his own signs during a memorial to Nelson Mandela has faced charges for murder, rape and kidnapping, it was claimed today.

Thamsanqa Jantjie, 34, stood just a few feet from from President Obama and others who spoke at Tuesday's ceremony that was broadcast around the world.
South African news website eNCA reported this morning that Mr Jantjie, who has schizophrenia, has faced charges for rape (1994), theft (1995), housebreaking (1997), malicious damage to property (1998), murder, attempted murder and kidnapping (2003) charges.

The website stated it is unclear if the 2003 murder case was ever concluded as the court file was found to be empty during their investigations.

It also reported that many of the charges brought against him were dropped, allegedly because he was mentally unfit to stand trial."
~ http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2523162/Schizophrenic-fake-Mandela-memorial-signer-charged-MURDER.html
post #9 of 11

Interesting photos of those queuing to catch buses to see Mandela's coffin.  Reminds me a bit of dominoes. Metaphorically backwards, thanks to Mandela helping to overthrow apartheid-

People queue for busses before heading to the Union Buildings in Pretoria, South Africa

A long line of people wait outside the polling station in Soweto to vote in South Africa's first all-race elections

maxresdefault.jpg

Toppled: A woman tests the sculpture of dominoes from Mile End Park to the Old Royal Naval College in Greenwich

Domino effect: A 15km stretch of 8,000 giant dominos was toppled this weekend to mark the three-year countdown to the 2012 Olympics

post #10 of 11

Today Nelson Mandela was buried and I'm sure everyone, on some level or another, will miss him.

David Cameron has suggested to the Danish PM, who took a selfie with the world's two greatest powers, that she auction it off for charity. I think it would fetch a small fortune, and make the selfie all the more respected and historic.

"When the Danish prime minister was asked if she'd reveal the controversial selfie she took at Nelson Mandela's memorial service she said, resoundingly, no.

Helle Thorning-Schmidt later told a Danish newspaper the photo was not 'particularly good' and sources have since revealed she wanted to delete it.

But, despite facing a barrage of criticism for posing in it, British Prime Minister David Cameron is taking a very different view.

It has emerged that during a private conversation last week, Cameron apparently suggested to the Dane that auctioning it for charity could raise a substantial sum."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2524039/Cameron-pleads-Danish-prime-minister-delete-Mandela-memorial-selfie-auction-charity.html

U.S. President Barack Obama (right) and British Prime Minister David Cameron pose for a picture with Denmark's Prime Minister Helle Thorning Schmidt (centre)

Rerpesenting Britain: The Queen sent the Prince of Wales, pictured here speaking to Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma, a politician and former wife of Jacob Zuma

Religious movement: Archbishop Desmond Tutu, centre, is surrounded by clergymen at his Christian burial after his state funeral was dominated by political eulogies

Historic figure: Thousands of people are paying tribute to South Africa 's first black presidentGoodbye to an icon: Nelson Mandela's coffin is slowly lowered into the ground in the hills close to where he grew up at the small, private burial today in Qunu as military salute and mourners watch the poignant momentRoyal meeting: The Prince of Wales meets the King of the Xhosa tribe Zwelonke Sigcau, head of Mandela's tribe, at the burial in Quno today.Final journey: The coffin of former South African President Nelson Mandela is carried by military personnel at the end of his funeral service in his ancestral village of Qunu in the Eastern CapeA nation in mourning: Three helicopters carrying South African flags fly over the burial site today as a much smaller crowd of mourners watched the great statesman laid to rest after ten days of official mourningRepresenting the UK: Prince Charles stands alongside Judith Macgregor, British High Commissioner in South Africa as they watch Mandela finally laid to rest

Queen & Mandela in carriagenelson-mandela-birthday-20130718-wrap.jpgep024_mandela_a_0_0.jpg?itok=7CqDC3Bt

Edited by Hands Sandon - 12/15/13 at 11:42am
post #11 of 11

Turns out the fake signer was a 'necklacer' too-

"The “fake” sign language interpreter at Nelson Mandela’s memorial service has reportedly admitted to being part of a group of people which attacked and killed two thieves by burning tyres around their necks.

One of Jantjie’s cousins and three of his friends told the Associated Press news agency that in 2003 he was among a group of people who set fire to tyres placed around the necks of two men accused of stealing a television. Jantjie acknowledged his involvement in this incident, according to The Sunday Times of Johannesburg.

Other suspects stood trial for murdering the two men in 2006, but no charges were brought against Jantjie because he was found mentally unfit to stand trial, his cousin and friends said.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Nelson Mandela Remembered- 1918 - 2013