or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Galaxy Note 3 phablet accounts for just 1/10 of Samsung's 2013 premium phone sales
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Galaxy Note 3 phablet accounts for just 1/10 of Samsung's 2013 premium phone sales - Page 3

post #81 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post


What part of 150 million iPhones did you have trouble understanding?

By far the most popular "premium" screen size is the iPhone screen size.

What part of fiscal year do you not understand? That's 150 million in a year, or an average of 37.5 million per quarter.

post #82 of 119
Originally Posted by zerobim08 View Post
[all posts, all content]

 

Why are you all replying to him? The little red flag is calling.

 

SHUT UP AND GO AWAY.

post #83 of 119

If you go back and read the rumor stories about the possibility of an iPad mini you will see the same sort of comments and indeed many of the same people saying this was an impossibility as the ones in this thread. But we all know that Apple decided that it was in their best interest to release an additional size to the iPad line and it has been wildly successful. The same naysayers are back again to tell us only they can divine what Apple will or should release. 

 

The likelihood of Apple releasing an additional size to the last remaining line of products not to offer a different size next year is extremely high. They realize many iPhone customers want a larger iPhone. I certainly do as do all the people I know that own an iPhone. They also realize that one handed use is becoming far less important to many people. If you look at the top apps a large portion of them are meant to be used in landscape and not portrait mode and many like Clash of Clans, Modern War, and many more apps can only be used in landscape mode. Once you start using your smartphone in landscape mode more frequently you really appreciate the benefits of a larger screen. But even in portrait mode I find it easier to use two hands. My left hand to hold the phone and right index finger for navigating the screen. I think far too much importance has been made of one handed use. Years ago the vast majority of apps were portrait mode only but that is no longer the case. 

 

When the iPad mini was released the naysayers either went into hiding, pretended they were never against it, or just pretended they were always in favor of it and I expect the same thing to happen when the 5" iPhone 6 is released. 

post #84 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

If you go back and read the rumor stories about the possibility of an iPad mini you will see the same sort of comments and indeed many of the same people saying this was an impossibility as the ones in this thread. But we all know that Apple decided that it was in their best interest to release an additional size to the iPad line and it has been wildly successful. The same naysayers are back again to tell us only they can divine what Apple will or should release. 

The likelihood of Apple releasing an additional size to the last remaining line of products not to offer a different size next year is extremely high. They realize many iPhone customers want a larger iPhone. I certainly do as do all the people I know that own an iPhone. They also realize that one handed use is becoming far less important to many people. If you look at the top apps a large portion of them are meant to be used in landscape and not portrait mode and many like Clash of Clans, Modern War, and many more apps can only be used in landscape mode. Once you start using your smartphone in landscape mode more frequently you really appreciate the benefits of a larger screen. But even in portrait mode I find it easier to use two hands. My left hand to hold the phone and right index finger for navigating the screen. I think far too much importance has been made of one handed use. Years ago the vast majority of apps were portrait mode only but that is no longer the case. 

When the iPad mini was released the naysayers either went into hiding, pretended they were never against it, or just pretended they were always in favor of it and I expect the same thing to happen when the 5" iPhone 6 is released. 

I think most people here do believe there is a demand for larger screens on the iPhone, whether it needs to go to the phalet size (5.5-6) or just slightly larger (4.5-5) is up for debate.

However, one thing we need to realize is what resolution the screen would need to be in if it is made larger, it definitely can't me the same as 5s because the ppi would be way down. If we are looking at a 2x jump like for the retina, then we have pretty big ppi jump (especially for the 4.5-5 inch) and that is why we haven't seen it yet.

If they don't go with the 2x jump, it makes compatibility automatic. iOS doesn't handle resolution like Andriod. Andriod basically just scales to the screen. This makes it very flexible to support many screen sizes. However, it does make the app less optimal because the designer doesn't know the screen that the app will be used for. Some apps just look very strange on a 6 inch screen because everything is just so big and you end up wasting a lot of room.

So I am sure Apple is experimenting with larger screen sizes and trying to find a solution that they feel is the best.
post #85 of 119

As one of a variety of offerings why not but the pundits view a phablet as a company game changer? No, never bought into that. And neither, from all appearances, has Apple.

post #86 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwo View Post


I think most people here do believe there is a demand for larger screens on the iPhone, whether it needs to go to the phalet size (5.5-6) or just slightly larger (4.5-5) is up for debate.

However, one thing we need to realize is what resolution the screen would need to be in if it is made larger, it definitely can't me the same as 5s because the ppi would be way down. If we are looking at a 2x jump like for the retina, then we have pretty big ppi jump (especially for the 4.5-5 inch) and that is why we haven't seen it yet.

If they don't go with the 2x jump, it makes compatibility automatic. iOS doesn't handle resolution like Andriod. Andriod basically just scales to the screen. This makes it very flexible to support many screen sizes. However, it does make the app less optimal because the designer doesn't know the screen that the app will be used for. Some apps just look very strange on a 6 inch screen because everything is just so big and you end up wasting a lot of room.

So I am sure Apple is experimenting with larger screen sizes and trying to find a solution that they feel is the best.

I'm of the opinion that resolution independence comes to iOS 8. Apple surely has the experience with OSX and I suspect that power efficiency of A8 will allow it with smooth performance.

 

iPads and the rumored larger iPhones are a given, but Apple likes to make it easy for developers, so maybe the iPhone 6 "classic" 4 inch screen as well.

post #87 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelchu View Post


They're infiltrating retail now?
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
post #88 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmay View Post

I'm of the opinion that resolution independence comes to iOS 8. Apple surely has the experience with OSX and I suspect that power efficiency of A8 will allow it with smooth performance.

iPads and the rumored larger iPhones are a given, but Apple likes to make it easy for developers, so maybe the iPhone 6 "classic" 4 inch screen as well.

Unfortunately, Mac OS X is NOT "resolution independent"... although it was talked about (rumored) I believe around the 10.5 days. I was always curious what happened to that "core" technology development.

BTW: AFAIK in order for iOS and/or OS X to go "true res indie", the core graphics engine would have to interpret "vector" SVG rather than bitmap PNG graphics. One of the truly great technologies that Apple bought with it's acquisition of NeXt was Postscript display. Again, I wonder what happened to that as well(?).

Maybe "mdriftmeyer" could shed some more light on this topic?
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #89 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmay View Post
 

I'm of the opinion that resolution independence comes to iOS 8. Apple surely has the experience with OSX and I suspect that power efficiency of A8 will allow it with smooth performance.

 

iPads and the rumored larger iPhones are a given, but Apple likes to make it easy for developers, so maybe the iPhone 6 "classic" 4 inch screen as well.

It should go without saying that if Apple releases a larger iPhone they would continue to offer the successors to the iPhone 5s and 5c in their 4" versions. The only way the 4" would be discontinued is if the larger iPhone take a massive percentage of total iPhone sales. I think it is possible if not probable that it will be more popular than the 4" version but Apple will retain a smaller version for many more years thought it may get an incremental boost to around 4.3" at some point. 

 

The interesting question to me is what happens the second year after a larger iPhone has been on the market. Will they release a "c" model in plastic that is last years tech or will they sell last years model as a cheaper version as they have done in the past. 4 phone options might seem like a big shift from their current 2 but once you consider they are still selling the 4s that means they really are selling 3 models at the moment not counting all the SKU's based on carriers and storage sizes or colors. 

 

I agree that resolution is one factor that Apple will need to handle with care but they also have the issue of all the screen real estate that the chin occupies with the circular home button. Samsung addresses this by making the chin portion smaller with an oblong type button that needs far less height than the circle the iPhone uses. I don't know how Apple could reduce the size of the chin without also going oblong unless they include the home button on the display itself or move it to the right side of the phone which is unlikely.

post #90 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post


Unfortunately, Mac OS X is NOT "resolution independent"... although it was talked about (rumored) I believe around the 10.5 days. I was always curious what happened to that "core" technology development.

BTW: AFAIK in order for iOS and/or OS X to go "true res indie", the core graphics engine would have to interpret "vector" SVG rather than bitmap PNG graphics. One of the truly great technologies that Apple bought with it's acquisition of NeXt was Postscript display. Again, I wonder what happened to that as well(?).

Maybe "mdriftmeyer" could shed some more light on this topic?

You are speaking of UI elements for the most part, correct?

 

I suspect that Apple will continue having the UI elements bitmapped at high resolutions, though SVG with scaled and composited bit mapped images would facilitate varying screen resolutions.formats, albeit Apple would have tight guidelines. SVG is less effective for small elements, hence Apple not going for complete resolution independence.

post #91 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Well, but you cant deny that there is a HUGE market waiting for a bigger screen iPhone.

Because While the Note 3 may not be selling that well. Most other Android Phone still have 4.3 - 5" Screen Size.

Apple would need to take away the Bezel in order to create a Phone that has larger screen while still works with one hand.

The much simpler solution is to make two different sizes of iPhone. 4" for the regular one-handed crowd and something larger for those with big hands and those who don't care so much about one-handed operation. You can even use the same LCD material cut to two different dimensions. For example:

4" 640x1136

5" 800x1422

Adjust the backlighting a smidge and you've got identical display quality in both models.

 

Trying to make one phone that's perfect for everyone is impossible.

post #92 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post
 

The much simpler solution is to make two different sizes of iPhone. 4" for the regular one-handed crowd and something larger for those with big hands and those who don't care so much about one-handed operation. You can even use the same LCD material cut to two different dimensions. For example:

4" 640x1136

5" 800x1422

Adjust the backlighting a smidge and you've got identical display quality in both models.

 

Trying to make one phone that's perfect for everyone is impossible.

Having seen 1080p screen resolution phones I really hope Apple just decides to go with 1920 x 1080. HTC managed to do this on their 4.7" HTV One and it is truly a gorgeous display. It might be overkill but I think it would pay off in the long run just to go ahead and make the transition to 1080p sooner than later and have a resolution that will last for several more years without needed to be adjusted yet again. 

post #93 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Having seen 1080p screen resolution phones I really hope Apple just decides to go with 1920 x 1080. HTC managed to do this on their 4.7" HTV One and it is truly a gorgeous display. It might be overkill but I think it would pay off in the long run just to go ahead and make the transition to 1080p sooner than later and have a resolution that will last for several more years without needed to be adjusted yet again. 

Sure, let's pointlessly make the iPhone 1920x1080 and not give a shit about battery life or GPU performance as a result¡

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #94 of 119
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
Sure, let's pointlessly make the iPhone 1920x1080 and not give a shit about battery life or GPU performance as a result¡


But but but but 5.2 inches!

post #95 of 119
The A7 let alone an A8 would be more than capable of handling the GPU and the battery life at that resolution would be minimal at best especially considering a larger iPhone would allow for a larger battery. I am extremely confident Apple could offer a 1080p iPhone that would have as much if more a longer battery life than the current 5s. 
post #96 of 119
Quote:
The A7 let alone an A8 would be more than capable of handling the GPU and the battery life at that resolution would be minimal at best especially considering a larger iPhone would allow for a larger battery. I am extremely confident Apple could offer a 1080p iPhone that would have as much if more a longer battery life than the current 5s.

Capable? Sure, but (as usual) you fail to consider the whole of the device. You can't see past the spec sheet for which you claim the HTC One is superior simply because it has 1) a much higher resolution, 2) a much higher PPI, and 3) is using 16:9 1080p which you still think somehow makes the videos themselves better even when the ability to observe pixels is not present or when the video has been encoded with something other than 16:9 1080p. One can read AnandTech's thorough review to see how the HTC One with it's many excellent components falls very short of being a great mobile device because of their inability to see the greater picture.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #97 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Waa! Waa! Someone didn’t agree with me about a larger, higher-resolution iPhone! Waa!”

I actually believe a larger display iPhone in inevitable… and I've commented as such many, many times over the years. I've even gone so far as to run the numbers to see how Apple might achieve this goal with the least amount of impact to developers and users, as well as being able to reuse their current expertise like they have in the past.

I came to the conclusion that the display would 4.904" if they were to use the iPad Air's display panels yet still use the same resolution of the iPhone 5S (note: model names stated were different as these were not yet out). I ended up concluding that I did not think Apple would use the iPad panels with the iPhone resolution as it would likely not fall under their Retina classification, which I then stated Apple would have to use a new resolution for this increase in display size. I also distinctly remember that gwmac pooh-poohed my math and argument on that very subject.

This was before the iPhone 5 was introduced as I recall stating that as the iPhone grows in size the 3:2 aspect ratio starts to become unwieldily as it offers considerably more display area for a given diagonal sizing over its competitors.

I think that when Apple does a larger iPhone it will need a new resolution but they will probably stick with the same aspect ratio and iPhone panels (i.e.: PPI) so they apps not yet idealized for the new display can still work pixel-for-pixel in the same when they moved to this larger iPhone display; but this isn't something Apple should take as lightly as gwmac suggests. 1920x1080 would probably work just fine when all the other parts line up, but it's not the hard fast requirement based on downloadable and streaming content the way that gwmac thinks it is.
Edited by SolipsismX - 12/11/13 at 12:39pm

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #98 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Please, sir, don't let it get you. No point in arguing here, let us all enjoy your insightful and researched posts on technical things, not ramblings on someone's wishes or useless disputes based on emotions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yes, what Phil said; don’t let him get to you, and don’t disappear again!

I am handling my time much better now but I expect to stopping again after this holiday break is over. I'm trying to learn a foreign language — which does not come easy for me — so I'm spending about 6 hours a day studying so I can hopefully be proficient within a year. Besides self-study I'm also using college courses as a way to get extensive classroom instruction at a low cost which is one reason I stopped over the Summer.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #99 of 119
Well don't learn Dutch on my account! Americans have a difficult time with pronouncing the g. A girlfriend of mine in Virginia calls it "the gross thing that men do right before they spit in the morning".

Good luck on studying, I presume you will travel to this mistery country for first mouth experience? If it's in Europe we can meet over an espresso and I'll get you some cheese from Gouda.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
post #100 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobim08 View Post





You people don't read the news (or you don't read anything outside of here)?

I am just quoting what was released in the press.

This says 40mil S4 in 6 months ==> 20mil per quarter
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/124617-samsung-announces-40m-galaxy-s4-sales-to-date-moves-onwards-to-50m

This says 10mil in 60 days ==> 15mil per quarter
http://www.engadget.com/2013/12/10/samsung-note-3-10-million-sold/

You can spin this however you want but the fact still shows that Samsung sells more premium phones than apple.

====================
Looking at previous combo S3 + Note 2

50 mil S3 sold in a year
http://www.knowyourmobile.in/products/7519/samsung-galaxy-s3-sales-cross-50-million-globally

30mil Note 2 sold in a year
http://www.sammobile.com/2013/09/27/samsung-sold-over-40-million-notes-30-million-of-which-were-note-ii-sales/

Are you really this dense or just pretending to be? ALL APPLE PHONES ARE HIGH END SMARTPHONES NOT HALF OF THEM! Do I need to repeat that to get it through your thick scull?
post #101 of 119
Late to the party but it appears we picked up a new troll.

Apple will only release a 4.5 ish iPhone as a complement to the 4" one.
post #102 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Are you really this dense or just pretending to be? ALL APPLE PHONES ARE HIGH END SMARTPHONES NOT HALF OF THEM! Do I need to repeat that to get it through your thick scull?

Are they?

 

So an iphone 4 (still being sold or stopped being sold recently) is high end but an s4 mini isn't? What about the galaxy j? the mega?

 

You see the point, there's a line somewhere.

 

Besides, Apple is really being outsold by Android's high end offerings (together, of course) and all of them have a 4.7"+ screen. That shows that there is a chance for Apple to double sales on the high end if they offer a bigger screen with another iPhone line.

post #103 of 119

It's an iPhone 4S that's being sold, and albeit an older model, still has a premium build and current iOS7.

 

The S4 mini is a midrange not equivalent in performormance to S4, and not a premium build. Read the reviews. Why would anyone want one?

 

Oh that's right. I can quote you: "Apple is really being outsold by Android's high end offerings (together, of course) and all of them have a 4.7"+ screen:" The S4 is 4.3 inch, so by your own definition, not high end. The specs are decidedly midrange.

 

As for numbers of Android high end offerings, you need to show numbers to back up your statements. I can pull up solid numbers for iPhone sales; could you do the same for all of the Android high end offerings?

 

Fiscal year results would be the most accurate.

 

Ever think that the reason that there aren't any iPhone sized premium Android smartphones is because OEM's know that they can't beat Apple at that size, but yeah, Apple could beat them going larger.

 

Like clubbing baby seals.


Edited by tmay - 12/12/13 at 2:03am
post #104 of 119
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

They're infiltrating retail now?
heard this guy got fired. Just rumour 1wink.gif friend of mine went to the store to checkout. No news yet may be he got kidnapped by the South Korean NSA 1tongue.gif
post #105 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proximityeffect View Post
 

keep trying tiger, you'll get the hang of it soon.

but I really like ubisoft.....

post #106 of 119
This was BY FAR the most desperate article I have ever read. Come on, really? I get that you like a company, in this case Apple, but even lying about sales? The Note and S lines, alone, sold more than all iPhones put together this year, and Apple had the 3rd yearly decline in sales, steadily going down. There will always be fans for a product like this, that look good, very simple and limited, but our generation doesn't like BS anymore, we don't like to be treated like kids anymore, and Android is the only answer we have. I have a MBA, an iPad 2, an iPod classic, an iPod 6G, an iPhones 3G (got my granny an iPhone, then after she learned how to use a smartphone, she told me she wants my old S3, and I got the Note 3) so believe me, I know my Apple stuff. Their phones are really not worth the money, no matter how you sugar coated: it just works, it fits in one hand...

Stop being closed minded, and start accepting that every company has its fans, every company has its moments. I mean Samsung imitating the iPhone since the start? I had touch screen phones since htc was called i-mate, ever since palm, Nokia... How full of shit do you have to be to just recreate history, how many times do you milk the same cow?

Lastly, yes, the Note 3 is big, but its amazing, and its a hella of a lot better than anything Apple has ever made, not that it couldn't, but it too like to milk people for every penny and add crappy features only years later raving about how they invented it, jeez.

NB: including cheap old iPhones (4, 4s) into the sales figures is laughable man, I didn't see you including S2, S3, Note 1, and Note 2... sales. There is also the S4 Active, S4 Zoom... Get real and stop lying to yourself. Get an Android and enjoy life.
post #107 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Seriously? Before you make such a moronic post, go get yourself a good education as you are obviously clueless! Apple ONLY sells high end advanced phones, even models that are two or three years old are high end. They still are updated with current iOS, unlike junk Android devices, and still carry state of the art features. They also are in such high demand they have excellent resale value. As to your Samsung numbers, you obviously flunked math class. Back to school for you!
Good resale value? Haha, good one, I just got a second hand 4S for about 150$, it looks and feels perfect. Got it for my mother, so really, again, including crappy old phones that are given for free and cheap contracts doesn't count. Updates? Lol, did u try to use an iPhone 4 with the iOS 7 update? Its really unusable, slooooow. The S3 has 4.3, so its just fine with updates, as for the S2 not having 4.3, I'll give you that one, its on 4.1.2. Be reasonable, stop BSing.
post #108 of 119
Originally Posted by CyberJ
The Note and S lines, alone, sold more than all iPhones put together this year

 

Okay, do you have any proof of this?

 

…our generation doesn’t like BS anymore…

 

That’s right; Android is losing sales left and right.

 

…so believe me, I know my Apple stuff.

 

No, you know how to read my list of things not to do.

 

how many times do you milk the same cow?

 

Well, they’re on “Galaxy S 4” at this point, so at least four times.

 

Lastly, yes, the Note 3 is big, but its amazing, and its a hella of a lot better than anything Apple has ever made

 

‘Kay. So shut up, go away, and live in your little world, then.

 

I didn't see you including S2, S3, Note 1, and Note 2... sales.

 

Because he isn’t an idiot and wouldn’t add sales of phones that aren’t being sold.

 

Originally Posted by CyberJ 
Good resale value? Haha, good one, I just got a second hand 4S for about 150$, it looks and feels perfect.

 

And buying an Android phone made in 2010 will leave you with $140 of those 150 dollars to choke a horse (or yourself).

 
Updates? Lol, did u try to use an iPhone 4 with the iOS 7 update?

 

No, we succeeded in using iOS 7 with an iPhone 4.

 

Enjoy Kit Kat on your Galaxy S2. OOPS! And that came out a year after the iPhone 4!


Edited by Tallest Skil - 1/8/14 at 9:22am
post #109 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberJ View Post

I just got a second hand 4S for about 150$, it looks and feels perfect.

I agree; the 4s is indeed still a very capable phone. And you can even update it to the latest OS. Enjoy it; it will make you truly understand why there really is no competition and that people buy it for a good reason.

$150 doesn't seem expensive; I presume it's the 16GB model?
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
post #110 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I agree; the 4s is indeed still a very capable phone. And you can even update it to the latest OS. Enjoy it; it will make you truly understand why there really is no competition and that people buy it for a good reason.

$150 doesn't seem expensive; I presume it's the 16GB model?

I got the 32 Gb model, but the guy just wanted to get rid of it really, he had a brand new S4 in his hand whilst buying the phone off him. Its a good phone, but just a phone, not a multimedia device.
post #111 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberJ View Post

Quote:
Enjoy Kit Kat on your Galaxy S2. OOPS!And that came out a year after the iPhone 4!

Seriously, as many have said, stop with the update crap, I couldn't care less, its just marketing jargain[sic].


Update is a "special word or expression that is used by a particular profession or group and are difficult for others to understand"? What the what what?! 1oyvey.gif

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #112 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Update is a "special word or expression that is used by a particular profession or group and are difficult for others to understand"? What the what what?! 1oyvey.gif

I should've the disappointed one. I was referring to the updates themselves, not the word... I never felt the need to update any of my devices, I don't know what the craze is all about. I mean, my gf's S2 is on 4.1.2, I think, and it runs fine. Would KitKat help it fly or something? Would it give it an extra day of battery...? No, it will add some features, give it an extra hour or two of battery... Updates are overrated, especially Apple updates, those are funny: "200 new features!", hun? Lets get over them. Or course its easy to update basically the SAME phone iphone 1 2 ...). I mean if they can't update ONE phone, it would be a serious problem.
post #113 of 119
Originally Posted by CyberJ
Yeah I do

 

If you did, you’d post it. Since Samsung doesn’t release numbers, you do not.

 
…prove me wrong…

 

That’s not how it works, bucko.

 
Android is 81 of the market.

 

If you knew that, you’d prove it. It’s not the case, so obviously you can not. Talk about delusional, indeed. Eighty-one percent? That’s pathetic.

 
I talk about Apple because I have used its products

 

No, you list the Apple products you own (or “own”) because you think it gives you the “right” to complain about Apple or that you will be absolved from scrutiny because of your ownership (or “ownership”) thereof.

 

There is absolutely no other reason to list the products you own. It has nothing to do with your argument and it lends no credence to your argument.

 
Riiiiiiiight, because keeping a device AS IS for 5/6 years means innovation all of a sudden.

 

And just one more clarification before we ban your account: The above statement is to be understood as claiming the iPhone has not changed–whether it be hardware or software–over the span you listed, correct?

 
You are clearly retarded…

 

Hey, enjoy your ban, skipper. MacRumors likes having people like you around.

 
ALL of the phones I listed ARE indeed being sold: S2

 

The Galaxy S2 is still being sold? The Galaxy S is still being sold?

 
The equivalent of a 4S is the S3

 

Yeah, and that’s really embarrassing, isn’t it? They’re not even sure if it will get Kit Kat while the iPhone 4, a year older, gets iOS 7.

 
It sells for 300-350.

 

Sure it does.

 
**** you

 

HOLY CRAP, what an argument. I’m definitely beaten now.

 
Seriously, as many have said, stop with the update crap, I couldn't care less, its just marketing jargain.

 

This needs to be on the front page of AppleInsider. 

 

“Updates are marketing jargon.”

This is what Android users actually believe.

post #114 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberJ View Post

I should've the disappointed one. I was referring to the updates themselves, not the word... I never felt the need to update any of my devices, I don't know what the craze is all about. I mean, my gf's S2 is on 4.1.2, I think, and it runs fine. Would KitKat help it fly or something? Would it give it an extra day of battery...? No, it will add some features, give it an extra hour or two of battery... Updates are overrated, especially Apple updates, those are funny: "200 new features!", hun? Lets get over them. Or course its easy to update basically the SAME phone iphone 1 2 ...). I mean if they can't update ONE phone, it would be a serious problem.

1) "I should've the disappointed one." Are you dictating this with S-Voice?

2) No, updates are not pointless. They fix bugs, improve security and add features. Are you saying there are no updates between iOS 4 and iOS 7 that users aren't happy to have? Really?!

3) You used the word jargon (or at least the word I think you meant to use) hence my comment. It has only one relevant definition, which I posted.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #115 of 119
Here's what I want to know...

Out of the 80 million smartphones Samsung sold last quarter.... how many of those were high-end flagships like the Note 3 and Galaxy S4 ?

Samsung will never tell us. They only point out certain milestones... like 10 million Galaxy S4 in the first 2 months.

But that was 7 months ago from when this article came out. According to reports... sales of the GS4 have dropped of quite a bit in the half a year since it launched. That can't make Samsung happy.

The Note 3 also hit the milestone of 10 million units in 2 months. And again... sales will probably dropped off too.

I'm getting the impression that Samsung flagships enjoy a huge amount of sales immediately after launch... and then they taper off greatly in the following 6-9 months.

So what is Samsung selling instead? A bunch of cheap phones? That's not very exciting.
post #116 of 119
(clean up)

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #117 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberJ View Post

All phones are the same, they sell strong, then they don't. I don't see your point...

I was just asking how many of Samsung's phones are high-end phones.

You're right... sales always start off great... and then taper off. That's understandable.

But Samsung's flagship phones are never the bulk of their sales in the first place.

10 million Galaxy S4 sold in 2 months doesn't really mean a lot when they also sold 50 million low-end phones during the same time.
post #118 of 119

What kind of idiot gets banned and says to himself, “It’s not because they don’t want me here”?

 

Shut up and go away. 

post #119 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What kind of idiot gets banned and says to himself, “It’s not because they don’t want me here”?

He's posting from Android. Like I said, there must be some level of insecurity there. If they were happy with what they had they'd just go and frolic on Android sites instead of signing up to Apple forums. I'm not sure why he thinks it's hypocritical of an Apple website to publish pro-Apple articles.

Apple users: Hey I like Apple, I'll sign up to an Apple forum and talk with like-minded people.
Android users: Hey I like Android, I'll sign up to an Apple forum and tell them why they're wrong.

One theory I have is that Android users don't like each other. Contrast it with how people who visit the Apple Store behave. The Samsung ad shows the cocky loner trying to tell them all they're wrong. When Steve Jobs, Jonathan Ive, Tim Cook and others give their presentations, they always convey a sense that they care about people. We choose our interests based on what resonates with our own attitudes. When you look at the tech crowd, their marketing teams occasionally put forward people-centric messages but that's as far as it goes, they are technology-centric. They have a sense of superiority that a focus on technology and cynicism towards design and people makes them better informed but how can you come together as a group with that attitude?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Galaxy Note 3 phablet accounts for just 1/10 of Samsung's 2013 premium phone sales
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Galaxy Note 3 phablet accounts for just 1/10 of Samsung's 2013 premium phone sales