or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV ›  Watch ABC, Bloomberg, others added to Apple TV channel lineup

Watch ABC, Bloomberg, others added to Apple TV channel lineup

post #1 of 41
An over-the-air change to the Apple TV on Wednesday brought Bloomberg, Crackle and KORTV to the set-top streamer alongside access for cable subscribers to their local ABC affiliate.

Apple TV update

Like the Apple TV's existing Watch ESPN app, Watch ABC requires an existing subscription to a cable service provider and is available only in selected cities. Subscribers will find popular ABC shows like Modern Family and Good Morning America alongside content from local affiliates.

Bloomberg joins WSJ Live as a provider of financial news content on the device, bringing live video as well as a searchable archive of past shows at no cost.

Crackle, from Sony, makes "hundreds of movies, thousands of TV episodes, and an extensive collection of anime" available on the Apple TV at no cost. Crackle's rotating selection currently features movies like Step Brothers, Pineapple Express, and Men in Black alongside television shows such as Seinfeld and The Shield.

Apple TV update
The new Watch ABC channel

KORTV provides live Korean-language content, including movies, news, and pop shows, in a mixture of free-to-watch and premium channels that require a monthly subscription.

Apple has been aggressively expanding the Apple TV's content selection in recent months, adding channels for PBS, Yahoo Screen and Major League Soccer, among others. The streamer has also gained support for Netflix Super HD as well as Apple's iTunes Radio.
post #2 of 41
So Directv isn't authenticated on any of the disney-based apps. Does directtv have to pay disney for the ability to authenticate or does directtv just 'pass' because they realize people can exchange working user/passes and they'd lose customers? I remember that DIrectv received an uproar about not being authenticated on the hbogo app on the appletv but they quickly gave in and granted access. As a Directv subscriber I would like access to channels im already paying for.
post #3 of 41

Love to see added content, really disliking the UI paradigm for it. Whole thing needs some sort of redesign for the home screen. It's getting really clunky....but if anyone can do it, it's Apple. 

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
post #4 of 41
I've never quite understood the need for an app to watch TV if I already have a cable/satelite subscription. Since Apple TV and similar offerings such as ROKU are used by a large number of chord cutters, this doesn't seem to add much value. I count myself in those ranks. At least I have HULU Plus so I can already watch all the ABC stuff anyway and CBS I use Airplay from my Macbook Air since it is not included on Hulu.
post #5 of 41
Wow, still more channels for Apple TV! Yet more reasons not to buy a box that sucks your life away.

I've not read Neil Postman's Amusing Ourselves to Death, but I suspect I agree with his point, as Publishers Weekly put it, "that television represents a hostile attack on literate culture." I've noticed a distinct difference in the kids of friends who don't have a television. Their kids are much more inquisitive and much better at keeping themselves busy and active.

It's also discouraging that Apple's publicly cultivated image is as the distributor of gadgets that amuse rather those than teach disciplined thinking. The budget for iTunes must be at least a hundred time greater than that for iBooks.

Amazon has Kindle ads that show mature adults quietly reading. Apple's corresponding ads show young adults bouncing around so wildly and pointlessly they look like little kids on a sugar high.
post #6 of 41

In before the misplaced “more stuff cluttering up the screen” complaints. In during the “the day Apple detaches all of this stuff from the idiotic ‘already paying for cable/satellite’ requirement is the day that the Apple TV starts to destroy television as we know it” post. In after nothing.

Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
[post]

Guess I was right when I said, “In after nothing.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #7 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndirishfan1975 View Post

I've never quite understood the need for an app to watch TV if I already have a cable/satelite subscription. Since Apple TV and similar offerings such as ROKU are used by a large number of chord cutters, this doesn't seem to add much value. 

I am thinking this is an interim situation. At some point the ability to buy programming directly through aTV without the need for a subscription will happen. But whether we will be able to purchase or rent programs on a more granular basis is the question. The best model right now is just to buy the seasons of what one is interested in directly from Apple. All the other channels is mostly noise, to me.

post #8 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Apple's corresponding ads show young adults bouncing around so wildly and pointlessly they look like little kids on a sugar high.

Sorry, but I can't recall an Apple ad as you described. Seriously, refresh my memory.
post #9 of 41
Sigh. As usual if you're not American there is nothing to see here.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #10 of 41
Originally Posted by saarek View Post
nothing to see here.

Eh, that’s more of a entendre and a half. Still, upvote.

post #11 of 41

ABC is free on my iPad and iPhone, and I have no cable provider at all.

Why make us have cable to use AppleTV for the same thing? ABC is free over the air anyway!

post #12 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergsf View Post

Quote:

Apple's corresponding ads show young adults bouncing around so wildly and pointlessly they look like little kids on a sugar high.

Sorry, but I can't recall an Apple ad as you described. Seriously, refresh my memory.

Any original psychedelic iPod ad would qualify. Search YouTube for examples.
Ask me about.... The 80's!
Ask me about.... The 80's!
post #13 of 41
I'm curious to know which channels on AppleTV do NOT need/require cable/satellite subscriptions.
post #14 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporland View Post

I don't think any of that dancing looked pointless or like kids on a sugar high. Maybe you prefer ballroom instead?
post #15 of 41
Originally Posted by vaporland View Post

Yeah, but see, Apple doesn’t do those anymore. What they DO do now are tender, introspective ads about the capabilities of the device. They don’t show you the end anymore, they show you the means to that end. His post is utter nonsense.

post #16 of 41
Quote:

I've not read Neil Postman's Amusing Ourselves to Death, but I suspect I agree with his point, as Publishers Weekly put it, "that television represents a hostile attack on literate culture." I've noticed a distinct difference in the kids of friends who don't have a television. Their kids are much more inquisitive and much better at keeping themselves busy and active.

Superb book. I think it is more important to limit childrens (and our own) TV viewing than to not have it at all. An added benefit of limiting it would probably be that in so doing parents teach their kids self-control. Also, although relatively rare, there are quite literate programs on TV..even television news such as the PBS Newshour.

Quote:

Amazon has Kindle ads that show mature adults quietly reading. Apple's corresponding ads show young adults bouncing around so wildly and pointlessly they look like little kids on a sugar high.

I wonder if that is because certain Kindles tend to be viewed (and marketed) as eBook reading devices that also happen to have other features whereas iPads tend to be marketed as multi-feature devices that also happen to have eBook features on them.

post #17 of 41

Apple really needs a channel store and to provide a means to pay for quick non-iTunes content via an Apple TV while taking their cut of it.

It isn't hard. They could do it right now. Sure maybe they don't have the major content providers ready yet but that doesn't matter, the smaller players will fill the void.

There is someone out there with an Angry Birds for paid content just waiting to happen. Maybe right now they are not making enough money while letting some terrible ads play over their stuff on YouTube or something similar (which is again owned by Google.)

Two birds one stone. Apple hosts the content. You can make it available for free with Apple inserted ads or let people subscribe for $1 a month or so. That brings no ads and Apple gets their cut of the typical revenue.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #18 of 41

Apple TV is obviously a transitional device, allowing Apple to nicely line up content providers as it works towards a large screen of its own in the living room. The requirement for a cable subscription for some "channels" placates cable companies as it allows content providers to transition to Internet based transmission, as cable TV increasingly becomes an anachronism. We are watching evolution in action.

post #19 of 41
You mean those iPad commercials staring a pencil...

Yeah those are crazy loud and show nothing but kids dancing around!

No iPad for you! Next!
post #20 of 41

I'd like to know which cities have access to ABC.

Edit: It's almost certain to have the same restrictions as the iOS Watch ABC app.

Edited by TheWB - 12/11/13 at 11:37am
post #21 of 41
Quote:

I've never quite understood the need for an app to watch TV if I already have a cable/satelite subscription. Since Apple TV and similar offerings such as ROKU are used by a large number of chord cutters, this doesn't seem to add much value. I count myself in those ranks. At least I have HULU Plus so I can already watch all the ABC stuff anyway and CBS I use Airplay from my Macbook Air since it is not included on Hulu.

So, what if you have a perfectly good extra TV but don't want to rent an additional cable box for that TV? You can buy an Apple TV and then have some access to your cable TV stations (as well as allow for Airplay IF you have an iPhone or iPad). Can't that justify the need for Apps for cable stations?
Jimbo
Jimbo
post #22 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousUser View Post

....there are quite literate programs on TV..even television news such as the PBS Newshour.

Agreed. Sometimes it can be a bit dull. But the Friday edition with Sheild's and Brooke's is usually very good.

Fareed Zakaria's GPS, Saturday's on CNN is one of the best shows on television.

In most cases, not all, he has Egyptians talking and contributing about Egypt, Iranian's talking about Iran, etc. So often here in the states, we get American reporters talking about foreign affairs. Of course, there are good ones, Christiane Amanpour comes to mind. But, Fareed does seem to bring a "world-view" to his program.

P.S. I can't stand listening to Anderson Cooper with 15-20 "um's" and "er's" in every bloody sentence! Ugh! :)

post #23 of 41
Quote:

HBO App has all their old shows that aren't being shown on Cable/Directv. I use it a lot to watch Deadwood episodes for example and other series such as Band of Brothers. Another good thing with the HBO App is everything that is currently airing on HBO is basically on demand with the app. You don't have to wait to record a movie if it's not currently showing.

post #24 of 41
So, not only do they now require a cable subscription to watch the cable network programs, but ABC (a free over the air network) also requires a cable subscription. This is just getting stupid.
post #25 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by baeder View Post

So, what if you have a perfectly good extra TV but don't want to rent an additional cable box for that TV? You can buy an Apple TV and then have some access to your cable TV stations (as well as allow for Airplay IF you have an iPhone or iPad). Can't that justify the need for Apps for cable stations?

Also, there are millions of screens that don't have a TV/cable tuner and by themselves are useless for watching TV shows, but they do have HDMI input. They're called computer monitors.

post #26 of 41
Quote:

I think they are keeping up with Roku- and staying way ahead of Google.  They have bigger plans- this is just a place holder.  As for those that think Apple will have a la carte services- I say to you- keep dreaming.  The reality of that situation is likely never- but definitely decades from now.  Did you all forget Viacom (ABC/ESPN/Disney) owns Time Warner?  Or that Comcast owns NBC/Universal?  Yeah... they'll just give up the cable business.  Hah!

Now- what I could see happening is Apple partnering up with an iTV (Uverse and Fios) service and get the content that way- although you still pay a monthly fee like you would- but at least the UI and experience is much better and easier.  Maybe the compromise is all "on Demand" purchases/rentals are now done through iTunes for the right- I'm sure deals will be made if it ever came to that.

It obviously would benefit Apple- iTunes share would increase through rentals, and hardware would be sold through Apple TV (or even subsidized through Uverse/Fios).  But where I see the cable companies being able to capitalize on this is to keep subscribers.

I'm not alone in this thinking- if Fox Sports (for baseball) and TNT (for basketball) and Aereo got full apps on my Apple TV- I would drop cable and just use my parent's log-in information and split the bill.  We both get all our services and bill gets cut in half.  But if the company subsizides the box or all programming is done through a specific Apple TV dedicated to your account- you couldn't piggieback off a different IP.

The landscape is changing- it will be interesting to see where it goes.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #27 of 41
Originally Posted by TheWB View Post

Also, there are millions of screens that don't have a TV/cable tuner and by themselves are useless for watching TV shows, but they do have HDMI input. They're called computer monitors.

Not in Apple’s world.

post #28 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not in Apple’s world.

In Apple's world, regardless of their own branded monitors, the AppleTV has HDMI output, not DisplayPort.

post #29 of 41

In Apple's world, regardless of their own branded monitors, the AppleTV has HDMI output, not DisplayPort.

So they sell a little black box called Apple Computer Monitor, then.

post #30 of 41
Quote:

So they sell a little black box called Apple Computer Monitor, then.

Sarcasm doesn’t work if it’s too vague. What the hell are you trying to say?

post #31 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

ABC is free on my iPad and iPhone, and I have no cable provider at all.

Why make us have cable to use AppleTV for the same thing? ABC is free over the air anyway!

So you can watch what you want, when you want, not only when it is broadcast.
post #32 of 41

Sarcasm doesn’t work if it’s too vague. What the hell are you trying to say?

What’s the product called? Just tell us the name.

post #33 of 41
Quote:

What’s the product called? Just tell us the name.

Are you suggesting that the name “AppleTV” means that it can only be connected to a TV and cannot be connected to a computer monitor? If so then you’re laughably wrong about an easily demonstrated fact, and if not then I ask again, what the hell are you trying to say?

Baeder wrote about connecting AppleTV on a secondary TV instead of renting an additional cable box, and I added it doesn’t have to be a TV, it can be any HDMI computer monitor. I don’t know about you but in my house the computer screens outnumber the TV screens about 3:1, and not every room is wired for cable. The principle difference between a TV and a monitor is a TV has a RF tuner, and with respect to the functionality of AppleTV this difference is as irrelevant as its name.

post #34 of 41
One secret to Apple TV is that some video sources (like Flash based) that will not stream from iOS apps, WILL stream to ATV via Mavericks' AirPlay Display!
post #35 of 41

Update: This article is either wrong or misleading. I was able to watch the ABC app without any sort of cable login. Good for Apple on this one.

post #36 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mknopp View Post

Update: This article is either wrong or misleading. I was able to watch the ABC app without any sort of cable login. Good for Apple on this one.
Quote:

Update: This article is either wrong or misleading. I was able to watch the ABC app without any sort of cable login.
It's neither wrong or misleading. I had to login.
post #37 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

It's neither wrong or misleading. I had to login.

That is really odd. So, some are requiring a login and some are not, because I did not require a login to watch an ABC show. Perhaps it has to do with the ISP?

post #38 of 41
Perhaps it has to do with the ISP?

That’s hilarious. Can’t be legal if true, so this might be the catalyst we need to get them slapped down and put in their place.

post #39 of 41
You don't have to login to watch the app, but where you can watch streaming ABC live you need to log into that
post #40 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsm View Post

You don't have to login to watch the app,

Why would you sit and watch an icon (unless you are stoned)?
Simply selecting the icon and press Enter brings up the login.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV ›  Watch ABC, Bloomberg, others added to Apple TV channel lineup