or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › Site crashing

Site crashing

post #1 of 11

When trying to post in the Forums, the site is crashing constantly for me.   When the browser re-launches, whatever I was doing does come back, but then crashes again.   Doesn't happen on other sites with forums.

post #2 of 11

Yep, that’s the new draft feature. 

Nothi

ng we can do about it until they fix it.

Which will be, what, weeks?

Five crashes while writing that, by the way.
post #3 of 11

The amusing thing is that while it crashes constantly in Safari it is rock solid in Chrome.  A big FU from the AI staff for choosing this POS forum system.

I prefer Safari over Chrome but AI is switching my behavior.  LOL.

post #4 of 11
I'm certainly not changing browser because of some kid experimenting with tech at Huddler. I wanted to email them the following, but don't think that'll do anything, with my negative approach, so never sent it out:

I presume your inbox has already been littered with requests to fix the issues Apple Insider is experiencing. Ever since they dropped vBulletin and moved over to Huddler it has been a poor experience, but as of yesterday the site is pretty much useless, at least on Safari, which crashes the moment you start to type. Various members over there have been looking into the problem, and it looks like it is the community software from Huddler, hence this email.

Simple question: are you going to revert the latest updates so Safari doesn’t crash as often as it does now, or are you going to continue with various technology experiments all the while completely ignoring the community? If the latter I’d like to get a heads up and leave the sinking ship beforehand.

Thanks

New Draft feature article here:
http://www.makeuptalk.com/t/139606/forum-update-december-10-2013
(link content below)

edit: 3 crashes while posting this

Howdy Members!

MuT will have two more releases this year, and the first one comes with some real treats. It's scheduled to go live on Tuesday December 10th, 2013

Saved Drafts for New Post Replies!
That's right! When you go to compose a reply post, you'll notice some new UI for automatically saving what you're writing. The way this works is that we'll save your contents automatically 3 seconds after you pause typing. You can also initiate a save manually, though you usually shouldn't need to. This will work in the the Rich Text Editor, the BBCode Editor, and on Mobile.

Once a reply draft is saved, all you need to do is come back to the thread where you had drafted a reply, at some point in the future, and you'll find your draft waiting for you in the Reply editor. This will work if you draft on one computer and then return to the thread via another computer. It will also work across Mobile & Desktop. Drafts are saved server-side.

You can draft one post reply at a time for any given thread. There's not currently a way to work on a long-term draft but still fire off a quick reply in the meantime. Until you publish your draft, it will occupy the reply editor's entry field. However, you can have a draft saved for each of as many threads as you like. You're not just limited to one single draft, period.

NEW REPLIES Drafts ONLY

This is a first stage rollout: there is no draft saving for anything other than NEW REPLIES. No drafts for new threads, no drafts for private messages or articles, comments, reviews, etc. There is also no draft saving of edits to posts.

We do plan to expand draft coverage soon, and we built the architecture in a way that will make this easy to spread to more areas. But we want to prove out the fundamentals of this functionality in one place first. There is also currently no "My Drafts" page, although that will be come a necessity as we expand Draft functionality to more use cases.

For now, it's for new replies only - just go back to the thread, and your draft in progress will be where you left it. This does mean that you'll see the "unsaved changes" warning a lot less - we don't pop that warning if your draft contents have been saved.

Happy drafting!
Edited by PhilBoogie - 12/12/13 at 1:50am
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #5 of 11

Rock solid here on my PowerPC Quad.  You Intel early adapters need to harden up.

Power PC.  **** Yeah!  :D

The devils that drive us do not discriminate
The devils that drive us do not discriminate
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

The amusing thing is that while it crashes constantly in Safari it is rock solid in Chrome.  A big FU from the AI staff for choosing this POS forum system.

I prefer Safari over Chrome but AI is switching my behavior.  LOL.

AI is changing my behavior also. It's forcing me to participate in Mac Rumors instead. A site about Apple that doesn't work on an Apple browser? Freaking hilarious. I've always hated this Forum UI anyway - obviously designed either by idiots or designed this way on purpose to increase dwell time.
post #7 of 11
Crashes Safari constantly. F Huddler.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Crashes Safari constantly. F Huddler.

I usually point the finger of blame at Apple when it comes to browser crashes. Safari 6 works ok for me so it must be something Apple did in 7. The bottom line is that no code that a browser interprets should crash the browser and it's the browser developer's job to ensure this doesn't happen. If malformed text, markup or scripts are doing something they shouldn't, the browser should handle it gracefully and at the very least stop it in its tracks.

Post crash reports to Apple for them to fix or maybe even into the forum to see if it's a plugin conflict causing the crash.
post #9 of 11
Since I upgraded to the Mavericks, it doesn't crash anymore
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

for me the fix was 10.9.1 with an updated Safari, bim still seeing my safari crash on the iPad. I'm certainly not changing browser because Apple screwed up here. These Safari crashed on iPads are really ridiculous and makes me remember the Windows days. Those I have forgotten, but am reliving them now.
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

I just upgraded to Safari 6.1.1 on Mountain Lion, and it seems stable now.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Feedback
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › Site crashing