or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Evercore increases Apple price target to $700, citing momentum from new iPads & iPhones

Evercore increases Apple price target to $700, citing momentum from new iPads & iPhones

post #1 of 33
As shares of Apple continue to trade higher, Evercore Partners on Friday upped its price target for AAPL stock to $700, citing what the firm called "rejuvenated momentum" seen from recent iPhone and iPad product refreshes.

Evercore

Analyst Rob Cihra believes the new iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina display have not only served as a spark for the company, but will also help to stabilize its gross margins. He also sees a number of "untapped opportunities" for Apple regarding the iOS platform's marriage with hardware and services.

The revised price target, up from $630, was not prompted by any changes to estimated future sales by Apple. But Cihra does consider mobile thin-client computing to be one of the most important trends in technology today, and he sees Apple's high-end user demographic and varied product lineup making it what he called the "king of monetization."

"Like iTunes, Apple mostly looks to monetize by driving more hardware," he said, "but we also see its App Store and iOS ecosystem and increasingly leverageable sources of engagement, measures of user behavior and cross-device tools for advertising and payments in both on/offline transactions."

Specifically, Cihra sees Apple's revenue from mobile applications hitting $4 billion next year, representing a 27 percent year over year increase. That's still just 2 percent of the company's total earnings, but the App Store remains an important factor in driving the iOS ecosystem, he said.

Cihra also believes that iPad growth will reaccelerate in calendar 2014, growing 16 percent year over year on the strength of the redesigned iPad Air and new Retina display on the second-generation iPad mini. iPad sales for 2013 are projected to have increased around 11 percent.

Finally, the analyst also believes the "Air" branding on the latest 9.7-inch iPad sets the stage for Apple to introduced a larger iPad model in calendar 2014 dubbed the "iPad Pro." Like the company's MacBook lineup, he sees Apple offering "Air" and "Pro" models that would serve different markets and expand sales of the iPad lineup.
post #2 of 33
Long therm target: 1.000 US$
post #3 of 33
Strange that it took him this long to ‘figure it out’. I mean, the new 5S, iPad Air, iOS7 are out some time now. Whatever, good to see some analysts getting the picture, just like tablet buyers are.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #4 of 33

Apple is doomed.

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

post #5 of 33
Where were those son of bitches when AAPL was at $400 ?
post #6 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Apple is doomed.

Doomed ( patented)
post #7 of 33
apple upgrated and stock is down?
post #8 of 33
And yet AAPL is down $6 today, 1rolleyes.gif
post #9 of 33
"rejuvenated momentum" is a bunch of mularky. Apple never lost momentum. Analysts are covering their asses.
post #10 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

"rejuvenated momentum" is a bunch of mularky. Apple never lost momentum. Analysts are covering their asses.

Just like the weather forecasters do. Predict then backpedal.

post #11 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmia View Post

apple upgrated and stock is down?

This is just one relatively small analyst.  You can't expect that to have much effect on the stock price. 

post #12 of 33
Originally Posted by starxd View Post
This is just one relatively small analyst.  You can't expect that to have much effect on the stock price. 

Given that analysts are the reason the stock fell 300 points in the last year on no logic whatsoever, yeah, we can expect that.

post #13 of 33
Apple stock appears to have zero momentum or should I say zero upward momentum. It has plenty of down momentum. Market cap is now below $500 billion. It appears Apple shareholders are not going to be in for a very Merry Christmas at this rate. All I can hope for from Apple is that it's not going to be a replay of last year's Tim Cook fiasco. Apple continues to be the tech company that investors have absolutely no confidence in, although it may be Tim Cook who investors have no confidence in.

For the past week, all I've been hearing about and seeing is articles and charts about how Apple has very strong sales and leading in this and that but from looking at the share price over the same period I might just as well thought that Apple hasn't been selling a single product. I find it harder and harder to trust Apple every quarter because I feel it's always going to lead to huge disappointment while the rest of the tech companies continue to run ever higher. I guess a company's value lies in the strength of its CEO and Apple has a wet noodle for a CEO. Another great year for Google and Amazon shareholders and another effed-up year for Apple shareholders thanks to the wet noodle.
post #14 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Apple stock appears to have zero momentum or should I say zero upward momentum. It has plenty of down momentum. Market cap is now below $500 billion. It appears Apple shareholders are not going to be in for a very Merry Christmas at this rate. All I can hope for from Apple is that it's not going to be a replay of last year's Tim Cook fiasco. Apple continues to be the tech company that investors have absolutely no confidence in, although it may be Tim Cook who investors have no confidence in.

For the past week, all I've been hearing about and seeing is articles and charts about how Apple has very strong sales and leading in this and that but from looking at the share price over the same period I might just as well thought that Apple hasn't been selling a single product. I find it harder and harder to trust Apple every quarter because I feel it's always going to lead to huge disappointment while the rest of the tech companies continue to run ever higher. I guess a company's value lies in the strength of its CEO and Apple has a wet noodle for a CEO. Another great year for Google and Amazon shareholders and another effed-up year for Apple shareholders thanks to the wet noodle.

Cry me a river. If you're have extra income to invest in the stock market and you let stock prices affect how much you enjoy Christmas then you have a problem, lol. 1biggrin.gif
post #15 of 33
Quote:

Mr. C. Dodo:
Please... pretty f***in' PLEASE... sell your Apple stock! Get out now while ya still have your shirt on your back, and get out of here before someone finds out who ya are and delivers a back-slap to your silly noggin in person! You're a loser with a big fat *L* regardless, no matter what you invest in!

And even more so for your views regarding Tim Cook and calling him a "wet noodle"! I know exactly where your headed with that diss too... ya homophobe! No place here for folks of your kind... your way of thinking... or investment advice! 1mad.gif
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #16 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Mr. C. Dodo:
Please... pretty f***in' PLEASE... sell your Apple stock! Get out now while ya still have your shirt on your back, and get out of here before someone finds out who ya are and delivers a back-slap to your silly noggin in person! You're a loser with a big fat *L* regardless, no matter what you invest in!

And even more so for your views regarding Tim Cook and calling him a "wet noodle"! I know exactly where your headed with that diss too... ya homophobe! No place here for folks of your kind... your way of thinking... or investment advice! 1mad.gif

dont be mad bro. Down aapl means buying opportunity. 

post #17 of 33
Quote:

Don't blame Mr Cook that you bought Apple when it was $700.

Thats YOUR fault. 

Cut your losses man. Go buy a Nexus7 and Google stock.

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
post #18 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

And yet AAPL is down $6 today, 1rolleyes.gif

People are skittish about the Fed ending it's easing policy.

post #19 of 33
Quote:

Apple stock appears to have zero momentum or should I say zero upward momentum......

Get out now. Take the tax deduction and never look back.

By Felicia.

post #20 of 33

And the gambling continues... It is never based on a companies performance in real time... It is only based on the whims and fancies of major investors and big brokers... And people still don't understand...

post #21 of 33

Lol APPL is so heading up right now.  It's a bull in a China shop shattering sales records, earnings records, with increasing margins, and new product categories coming along with a pretty fracking huge rollout of iDevices on China Mobile.  This will be Apple's December to Remember.  Huge.  The haters and doubters will have nothing to stand on come January.  Bookmark this page, come back, and tell me I'm right! lol.  

post #22 of 33
I notice some strange volume sales for the past two days. I have rarely ever seen a sale of 1 share, 13, 2 11 18 shares etc in pre market or after hours. For the past two days this has been the norm. someone is trying to keep the price at 560 for closing today. This is a highly manipulated stock.
post #23 of 33
First of all, iPad sales by device sold increased 22% in fiscal year 2013. And that was a down year for the iPad since the 10" hadn't had a major refresh for a year and a half. True, the iPad Mini came out, but it's arguable that the Mini is appealing to a completely different market segment. Bottom line: Apple device counts this fiscal year are going to SOAR!

Also, AAPL has far more daylight than any of its competitors on top of its present stock price. Don't be surprised if AAPL cracks $1000/share in 2014.
post #24 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binkwilder View Post

I notice some strange volume sales for the past two days. I have rarely ever seen a sale of 1 share, 13, 2 11 18 shares etc in pre market or after hours. For the past two days this has been the norm. someone is trying to keep the price at 560 for closing today. This is a highly manipulated stock.

More nonsense conspiracy. There are ~900M shares outstanding.

post #25 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Mr. C. Dodo:

dont be mad bro. Down aapl means buying opportunity. 

He's not mad at AAPL.

post #26 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Don't blame Mr Cook that you bought Apple when it was $700.

Thats YOUR fault. 

Cut your losses man. Go buy a Nexus7 and Google stock.

The time to have done that was back in January when it too was $700. And no I didn't buy any GOOG either. it was yet another stock I ignored.
melior diabolus quem scies
post #27 of 33

When did "strange volume" become a conspiracy?  It was supposed to be an observation.  Good point on the 900 mil shares.  What is your take on the unusual share trades?

post #28 of 33
Analysts are attempting to cover their collective butts with Apple. After forcing the company's stock price down 300+ points with lies, lies and more lies, some analysts are attempting to spin positive tunes.

It boggles the mind how Apple was able to earn more money AND profits each quarter than its competitors, but Wall Street chose to disparage the company as slowing down and not being innovative.

Wall Street hammered Apple in Q1 2013 because Samsung promoted its Radio City Music Hall event for the Galaxy S IV. During and after the event, all the analysts who praised Samsung were laughed at because the Samsung promotion was horrendous! How much money of Samsung's $14 billion marketing budget went to Wall Street analysts?

When the Samsung shipped 20 million devices, the company was praised. When Apple sold 9 million iPhones, Apple was ridiculed.

When Samsung released the Galaxy Gear, Apple was accused of falling behind. We now know 800,000 Gears were shipped but not exactly how many have been sold.

Apple's 64-bit microprocessor and OS were written off as gimmicks. Still Samsung rushed to announce it would have a 64-bit microprocessor next year. I do not have to write about the Qualcomm fiasco on this topic.

Apple succeeded with the first consistently working fingerprint sensor but that got panned as well after hackers around the worked feverishly to prove it did not work. To date nobody has cracked the sensor. Yes, an elaborate set of actions can be taken to fool the sensor. The press did not really write about HTC's fingerprint sensor. No hackers raced to crack it. I wonder why.

With the fingerprint sensor, Ape enabled electronic purchasing of products in iTunes, the App Store and iBooks Store. No other company has that ability. But Apple is considered a laggered even though it is getting e-commerce right. Where are Google Wallet and Samsung Wallet in comparison?

When Apple released iBeacons in its 240 US stores to enable indoor notifications, many In the press wrote about being disappointed with the technology. Some wrote about the possibilities.

Jay-Z signed a $20 million deal with Samsung to promote his Magna Carta album. Attached to that promotion was the unnecessary capture of much personal information. The effort was a farce Beyoncé releases an unannounced album on iTunes and brings down Apple's servers just on word of mouth. No personal information was required to get the album, just $15.99. Apple most likely earned money from this release.

eBooks. Goodness gracious. Amazon is now screwing authors who submit their works for sale. They are being charged by the MB. If I remember correctly, one multi-GB eBook would have to cost nearly $200 in order for the author to earn money. How does Amazon get away with behavior? The US government defends it!

Wow! I just had a major tirade!! Too much crap has happened to Apple this year.

Through all the crap thrown at Apple, the company still managed to earn $170.0 billion and had profits to totaling $37 billion in its 2012-2013 fiscal year!!!!!!

It is time for a really good beer. :-)))
post #29 of 33
Quote:

I Love when people get mad at the CEO because the stock buying public are idiots who jumped on board @ $600+ a share hoping to make a quick buck and got burned. Ironically they are part of the same group responsible for panicking and selling off Apple on every news rumor. These are the same idiots who think Google will be more than a search engine. Google is the new AOL... Remember them. Self driving car... Right! Google glasses? About as useful as that watch you can use to answer your phone in your other hand! Next!
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by macart View Post

I Love when people get mad at the CEO because the stock buying public are idiots who jumped on board @ $600+ a share hoping to make a quick buck and got burned. Ironically they are part of the same group responsible for panicking and selling off Apple on every news rumor.

100% Agree!
Quote:
These are the same idiots who think Google will be more than a search engine. Google is the new AOL... Remember them. Self driving car... Right! Google glasses? About as useful as that watch you can use to answer your phone in your other hand! Next!

Google is a legit contender with web services and owning around 80% of the ad market, which monetizes other free web services. For good or bad. I don't see them going the way of AOL at all.

The IBM/AOL of this generation is surely Microsoft.
post #31 of 33
The biggest mistake that most if not all analysts make, is that they are proud of only "looking at the numbers".

These are trained "numbers folks"... as in... Excel is the be all, get all, and it never it lies looking glass into the past, as well as it's algorithmic crystal ball into the future.

Apple is one of those rare companies and stocks that you can't pin any other working formulae to guess what's going to happen in the future, let alone explain how it's become as big as it is and continues to make huge profits from, in most analysts' view, are simply commodity items.

I'm not going to state that you "can't"... but I imagine it's rather difficult to quantize and plug in factors in order to visualize:
1) customer satisfaction (ongoing and continuous)
2) halo effect
3) simplified-task computing
4) luxury status
5) desirability
6) and most of all, loyalty AKA stickiness factor.*

No other company offers all of these points in one package and across devices and services... and you can't have #6 without #1. Everything from 2 - 5 have to do with Apple's innate DNA instilled by it's founder to design perfection inside and out with an unequaled taste in consumer electronics. I would say only Sony has "had" a number of those points and profit generating traits over the last few decades.

I'm certainly NOT sticking up for the analysts, and I consider most of them over-paid and over-rated charlatans... among other nasty labels I won't and don't need to state. Just stating what I think is wrong with their incomplete weighting and advice regarding AAPL.

* AKA "Sticky Platform": something completely different than what you stepped in with your glossy wingtips at the train station waiting for the Montauk to the Hamptons... 1smoking.gif
post #32 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

Analysts are attempting to cover their collective butts with Apple. After forcing the company's stock price down 300+ points with lies, lies and more lies, some analysts are attempting to spin positive tunes.

It boggles the mind how Apple was able to earn more money AND profits each quarter than its competitors, but Wall Street chose to disparage the company as slowing down and not being innovative.

Wall Street hammered Apple in Q1 2013 because Samsung promoted its Radio City Music Hall event for the Galaxy S IV. During and after the event, all the analysts who praised Samsung were laughed at because the Samsung promotion was horrendous! How much money of Samsung's $14 billion marketing budget went to Wall Street analysts?

When the Samsung shipped 20 million devices, the company was praised. When Apple sold 9 million iPhones, Apple was ridiculed.

When Samsung released the Galaxy Gear, Apple was accused of falling behind. We now know 800,000 Gears were shipped but not exactly how many have been sold.

Apple's 64-bit microprocessor and OS were written off as gimmicks. Still Samsung rushed to announce it would have a 64-bit microprocessor next year. I do not have to write about the Qualcomm fiasco on this topic.

Apple succeeded with the first consistently working fingerprint sensor but that got panned as well after hackers around the worked feverishly to prove it did not work. To date nobody has cracked the sensor. Yes, an elaborate set of actions can be taken to fool the sensor. The press did not really write about HTC's fingerprint sensor. No hackers raced to crack it. I wonder why.

With the fingerprint sensor, Ape enabled electronic purchasing of products in iTunes, the App Store and iBooks Store. No other company has that ability. But Apple is considered a laggered even though it is getting e-commerce right. Where are Google Wallet and Samsung Wallet in comparison?

When Apple released iBeacons in its 240 US stores to enable indoor notifications, many In the press wrote about being disappointed with the technology. Some wrote about the possibilities.

Jay-Z signed a $20 million deal with Samsung to promote his Magna Carta album. Attached to that promotion was the unnecessary capture of much personal information. The effort was a farce Beyoncé releases an unannounced album on iTunes and brings down Apple's servers just on word of mouth. No personal information was required to get the album, just $15.99. Apple most likely earned money from this release.

eBooks. Goodness gracious. Amazon is now screwing authors who submit their works for sale. They are being charged by the MB. If I remember correctly, one multi-GB eBook would have to cost nearly $200 in order for the author to earn money. How does Amazon get away with behavior? The US government defends it!

Wow! I just had a major tirade!! Too much crap has happened to Apple this year.

Through all the crap thrown at Apple, the company still managed to earn $170.0 billion and had profits to totaling $37 billion in its 2012-2013 fiscal year!!!!!!

It is time for a really good beer. :-)))

Great post—have another beer.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #33 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by macart View Post

These are the same idiots who think Google will be more than a search engine. Google is the new AOL... Remember them. Self driving car... Right! Google glasses? About as useful as that watch you can use to answer your phone in your other hand! Next!

You forgot their silly robotics development too. Ridiculous. Everyone knows Google is only an ad company and that's all they'll really ever be. Robots? Augmented reality? From Google? Yeah right. There's even stupid rumors Google may be developing their own processors! Who are they kidding. People will believe anything.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Evercore increases Apple price target to $700, citing momentum from new iPads & iPhones