or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple gives away new Lorde single in '12 Days of Gifts' app preview

Apple gives away new Lorde single in '12 Days of Gifts' app preview

post #1 of 58
Eleven days earlier than expected, Apple on Sunday gave away the first freebie as part of its "12 Days of Gifts" app promotion, which will offer almost two weeks' worth of free apps, songs and other digital content to users over the holiday season.

12 Days

Those who have already downloaded Apple's 12 Days of Gifts iOS app were met with a nice surprise on Sunday, as Apple gave away Lorde's latest single "No Better," which debuted in the iTunes store on Friday. The download also includes a music video for the artist's breakout hit "Royals."

Dubbed as a "gift to get you started," the song/music video combo download comes 11 days prior to the official start date of Apple's "12 Days of Gifts" promotion, slated to kick off on Dec. 26. Currently, the 12 Days of Gifts app acts as a countdown timer to that date.

This year will be the first Apple has included the U.S. in its annual giveaway tradition, which was previously limited to iOS device users in Europe and Canada. As in past years, Apple will be giving away a free downloadable song, app, book, movie or TV show each day from Dec. 26 though Jan. 6. Offers can be claimed through the app and are valid for 24 hours.

12 Days of Gifts comes in at 64.7MB and can be downloaded for free from the iOS App Store.
post #2 of 58
Sure hope they Blanked out anything Christmas related¡
post #3 of 58

Nice.  Got it.  I'm no huge Lorde fan, but it's still a good song.  Good for her.  Good for Apple.

post #4 of 58
i keep getting 'unable to complete your request'
post #5 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by revenant View Post

i keep getting 'unable to complete your request'

We all are suffering from this. Trolls were explicitly told to leave, yet I see some coming back in another thread. Not you revenant!
post #6 of 58
The app keeps crashing on my ipad3, but I was able to download the song on my iphone 5s.

I would say it's excellent marketing for her. I have never heard of her in my life, and now thanks to this promo, everyone in the appleverse will now know the "lorde's" name. You can't buy advertising like this with money. 1wink.gif

That said, anyone knows what sort of arrangement Apple has made with her? Is she reimbursed for giving away her song for free, and if so, what is the rate?
post #7 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

We all are suffering from this. Trolls were explicitly told to leave, yet I see some coming back in another thread. Not you revenant!

I am sorry, am i troll for expressing a problem i am having with the app?  confused.

post #8 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by revenant View Post

Quote:

I am sorry, am i troll for expressing a problem i am having with the app?  confused.

Not at all. Just a play of words with your 'unable to complete your request'
post #9 of 58
Quote:

Not at all. Just a play of words with your 'unable to complete your request'

ok.  i get it, sorry for the confusion

post #10 of 58
Music has gone to shit; this isn't music. Even within the pathetic sub-genre it's in it's bad. Bring back the originality and creativity of 80's pop music to current popular music. Good God.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #11 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Music has gone to shit; this isn't music. Even within the pathetic sub-genre it's in it's bad. Bring back the originality and creativity of 80's pop music to current popular music. Good God.

So don't listen to it... I am sure many many other people do like her/his music and appreciate the free song....

post #12 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by abazigal View Post

The app keeps crashing on my ipad3, but I was able to download the song on my iphone 5s.

I would say it's excellent marketing for her. I have never heard of her in my life, and now thanks to this promo, everyone in the appleverse will now know the "lorde's" name. You can't buy advertising like this with money. 1wink.gif

That said, anyone knows what sort of arrangement Apple has made with her? Is she reimbursed for giving away her song for free, and if so, what is the rate?

Reimburse??? I think she'll have to pay Apple for this
post #13 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by j4zb4 View Post

So don't listen to it... I am sure many many other people do like her/his music and appreciate the free song....

Don't give me that garbage. I appreciate the free gesture by this billion dollar company, it was just a general comment on the state of modern music. You'll find people who appreciate every artist, but that doesn't make the artist any good. Don't give me that 'so don't listen to it' crap. A comment as dull, unoriginal and lacking substance as the music in question.
post #14 of 58
Quote:

Don't give me that garbage. I appreciate the free gesture by this billion dollar company, it was just a general comment on the state of modern music. You'll find people who appreciate every artist, but that doesn't make the artist any good. Don't give me that 'so don't listen to it' crap. A comment as dull, unoriginal and lacking substance as the music in question.

Are you saying that there's no good music left? That's impossible considering how many people are making music now. Admittedly there's a lot of bad stuff as well and the cream doesn't always rise to the top, but if you have the patience you'll find something you like. The whole "music hasn't been good since (whatever era you want)" just reeks of somebody getting older and not wanting stuff to change

post #15 of 58
Chacon a son gout, Ireland. Obviously, you aren't in the target market demographic for Lorde. Stick around, though. Maybe Apple will fill your stocking with an old black-and-white kinescope video of the Lawrence Welk Show.

"Ah wun ... and a too ... and ..."
Edited by Kibitzer - 12/16/13 at 6:21am

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #16 of 58
Quote:

Ha! I'm an 80s guy too. All went downhill from 90s onwards.
“I wasted time, and now doth time waste me.”
post #17 of 58
Quote:

you are really old

post #18 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

Are you saying that there's no good music left? That's impossible considering how many people are making music now. Admittedly there's a lot of bad stuff as well and the cream doesn't always rise to the top, but if you have the patience you'll find something you like. The whole "music hasn't been good since (whatever era you want)" just reeks of somebody getting older and not wanting stuff to change

Another inane comment. Obviously, there are one or two gems to be sifted from contemporary music, but the overall standard has plummeted since the 80s. The quantity argument is stupid; how many people were composing in Bach's time?

It's interesting to me how we tend to think of society as a whole as relentlessly marching forward with the passage of time. And yet, with music, this doesn't seem to hold true.
post #19 of 58
If you want real music, the first original piece called hit me by dirty loops. The best group of musicians on the planet.
post #20 of 58
Nick low, "Christmas in the airport". Music and social history.

Ps: Ireland, when I was a kid we had to walk uphill to and from school every day. Those were the days.
post #21 of 58
Quote:

I'll never understand this elitist tone toward music. With other forms of art it's not nearly as severe. I can say I like the show Elementary and your opinion would likely be "I don't watch TV" or "I don't care for that show" but I doubt you would claim that all TV is shit as a result of mentioning one show. Yet with music the emotion and ignorance is so high. Do you not realize that your bond with music is not some absolute and that anyone that doesn't agree with it or music that doesn't follow this very specific form or come from this time isn't by define shit. Music has evolved, it's your taste that has solidified. There is nothing inherently wrong with you choosing not truly engage in music outside a very specific genre and time frame — if those old songs make you happy then embrace it — but its ignorant to disparage all other music simply because it didn't speak to you at a specific, impressionavble time in your mental development.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #22 of 58
"Bring back the originality and creativity of 80's pop music to current popular music."
/s
post #23 of 58
Quote:

Don't be such an old man (and I say this as a 43 year old man who was certainly around in the 80's.) Every era has some innovative music and then it has a bunch of copycats. Look how many completely forgettable hair bands came from that era and have promptly been forgotten. I'd love an Oingo Bongo/Talking Heads reunion tour as much as the next guy but it isn't going to happen and there is plenty of new and interesting stuff now as well.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4zb4 View Post

It is easier than ever to find amazing and interesting music. Even better, they often realize that since their tastes may not warrant spending millions to force them onto millions of customers, they often remain unsigned and free to do what they want while still earning a pretty decent living or maybe they don't and you should go throw them some coin instead of complaining that there's nothing out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaGdZVDov8Q

Start with Dirt Poor Robins. I quite enjoy them.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #24 of 58

Oh, for the love of Aphrodite ...

Do NOT start with this whole, "In my time ..."  Look, I saw the Dead 8 times (maybe 9, there was a LOT of acid involved).  I've seen Neil Young 3 times.  ****.  I've seen Dylan multiple times.

I still like Taylor Swift.  That's ok, you know?  Now, am I big Lorde fan?  No.  Do I like the free song?  Eh.  It's ok.  I see what she's going for.  I don't think she nailed it, but it's not terrible or anything.  And it's FUCKING FREE!

post #25 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'll never understand this elitist tone toward music. With other forms of art it's not nearly as severe. I can say I like the show Elementary and your opinion would likely be "I don't watch TV" or "I don't care for that show" but I doubt you would claim that all TV is shit as a result of mentioning one show. Yet with music the emotion and ignorance is so high. Do you not realize that your bond with music is not some absolute and that anyone that doesn't agree with it or music that doesn't follow this very specific form or come from this time isn't by define shit. Music has evolved, it's your taste that has solidified. There is nothing inherently wrong with you choosing not truly engage in music outside a very specific genre and time frame — if those old songs make you happy then embrace it — but its ignorant to disparage all other music simply because it didn't speak to you at a specific, impressionavble time in your mental development.

Superb comment! Good enough for an essay, but probably wasted on the terminally obstinate to whom it was addressed. FWIW, I enjoyed Lorde this morning when I first heard her. At the moment I'm listening to the web stream of WQXR. Tonight we have tix to Die Fledermaus at the Lyric Opera. But I've not been able to work Lawrence Welk reruns into today's schedule!

post #26 of 58
Quote:

"Music has evolved, it's your taste that has solidified. There is nothing inherently wrong with you choosing not truly engage in music outside a very specific genre and time frame — if those old songs make you happy then embrace it — but its ignorant to disparage all other music simply because it didn't speak to you at a specific, impressionavble time in your mental development."

Not long ago, I was watching the opera, The Barber of Seville*, and was greatly amused to see one of the characters lament the fact that music wasn't nearly as great as it was when he was growing up! Of course, that opera was composed in 1816, so that meme has been around a looooong time :)

*TBoS is a truly funny opera with a ton of great music.
post #27 of 58
Quote:

So don't download it. Problem solved

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #28 of 58
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
So don't download it. Problem solved

“Don’t listen to it that way.” ;)

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
post #29 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnd0ps View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnd0ps View Post

It is unlikely she is having to pay anything to be part of this program. Why?

Because Lorde, despite people on this board not knowing who she is, is actually quite popular and her original single has had quite a bit of radio play. Apple would be piggybacking on this in order to get people to download the app when they hear that her new song and her music video are free right now, something which will probably stay free via the app for two or three more days.

Apple likely approached her and asked for permission to make her song and video free to use as advertising which means Lorde would receive at least some portion of her money or might have agreed to give it up in order to get a little more advertising via people who might've already downloaded the app due to its history and wanting to get free stuff.

post #30 of 58
Quote:

I'll never understand this elitist tone toward music. With other forms of art it's not nearly as severe. I can say I like the show Elementary and your opinion would likely be "I don't watch TV" or "I don't care for that show" but I doubt you would claim that all TV is shit as a result of mentioning one show.

Oh he might. Or he might just call you stupid for liking that show, or any modern rendition of Sherlock because he feels the only proper versions are those that stick true to the books. Ireland isn't the first person to be a bit of a jerk with his opinions, won't be the last either.

post #31 of 58
For a sixteen year old girl from New Zealand! Hey if she can do this now I'm going to keep listening she'll be incredible as she ages.
From an old fart who kept listening though all the garbage of the last half of the 1900's and the even worse garbage of the first ten years of this century. Through all that listening I found plenty of gems I will hold for ever.
If you don't like it just politely move on.
post #32 of 58

A music debate on AppleInsider!

I grew up in the 70's and 80's and was raised on 80's pop and "new Wave". It was fun and new but 99% of it is extremely simple and childish when I listen to my old favorites today. There has never been a better time for music than today. Lorde is 17 and her songs are more unique and complex than almost everything from the 80s. But there are always great songs made in every decade. Most music is crap, but you can find moving songs from any decade if you look.

post #33 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Oh he might. Or he might just call you stupid for liking that show, or any modern rendition of Sherlock because he feels the only proper versions are those that stick true to the books. Ireland isn't the first person to be a bit of a jerk with his opinions, won't be the last either.

Speaking of Sherlock I can't wait for Sherlock to start up in January. Steven Moffat is my favorite TV writer but I must say that the last few episodes of last season's Elementary surpassed his vision of Sherlock.

post #34 of 58

Forget the free songs I want money...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-P2qL3qkzk

p.s. Btw, just go to iTunes for the free song. No need for the app.

If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
post #35 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill42 View Post

A music debate on AppleInsider!

I grew up in the 70's and 80's and was raised on 80's pop and "new Wave". It was fun and new but 99% of it is extremely simple and childish when I listen to my old favorites today. There has never been a better time for music than today. Lorde is 17 and her songs are more unique and complex than almost everything from the 80s. But there are always great songs made in every decade. Most music is crap, but you can find moving songs from any decade if you look.

How could you forget punk?!!

post #36 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualZone View Post

Forget the free songs I want money...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-P2qL3qkzk

p.s. Btw, just go to iTunes for the free song. No need for the app.

Seriously? All you need is love...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-pFAFsTFTI

post #37 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

Are you saying that there's no good music left? 

No.

post #38 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

you are really old

Stick around you might learn something.

post #39 of 58
Quote:

I'll never understand this elitist tone toward music.

Sadly you're not being sarcastic. I was pointing out that popular music nowadays in general isn't as creative and original as it was in the 80's, It's not subjective. Lots of people of different ages agree with that statement, because it's true. Even popular singers like Adele sound like they are putting on a voice, and lots of contemporary popular female singers sound the same as one another.

Because the culture now is about grabbing people's attention quickly in broad terms true meaning has left the art form. It's no argument to suggest that popular music has become more homogenised. This doesn't apply to everyone, but it is noticeable.  This is not a controversial statement. And it most certainly is not elitist.

Edited by Ireland - 12/16/13 at 12:34pm
post #40 of 58
Quote:

Sadly you're not being sarcastic. I was pointing out that popular music nowadays in general isn't as creative and original as it was in the 80's, It's not subjective. Lots of people of different ages agree with that statement, because it's true. Even popular singers like Adele sound like they are putting on a voice, and lots of contemporary popular female singers sound the same as one another.

Because the culture now is about grabbing people's attention quickly in broad terms true meaning has left the art form. This doesn't apply to everyone, but it is noticeable. 

1oyvey.gif

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple gives away new Lorde single in '12 Days of Gifts' app preview