or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple gives away new Lorde single in '12 Days of Gifts' app preview
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple gives away new Lorde single in '12 Days of Gifts' app preview - Page 2

post #41 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


1oyvey.gif

 

Because responding with words would be too elitist for you?

 

I am not arguing talent is dead.

 

I'm not even into this guy, but I can appreciate his original talent:

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffJ8xcfqOX0

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK_HTqkM9BE


Edited by Ireland - 12/16/13 at 12:46pm
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #42 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


1) You're actually saying I don't use words

2) You restating the same elitist opinion as a fact in no way requires me to recite my words again. I was clear the first time. If you want, every time you make such a statement just go reread my comment as an implied retort.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #43 of 58

There you go again. Keep repeating that word elitist; it won't make it true.

 

Here's the best example I can give you for my argument:

 

Now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glny4jSciVI

 

Original version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9BNoNFKCBI

 

The most popular American artist of 2 generations. There's no contest for original talent. It's obvious which is better. They even had to reuse older artist because they ran out of original current American musical talent from this generation.


Edited by Ireland - 12/16/13 at 12:58pm
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #44 of 58
This song is one that didn't make the cut for her album. No hook, and too light/happy spirited for Heroine.

Still worth the download for nice background music.

NZ Represent!
post #45 of 58

Apparently the app only works on iOS7.  Hopefully AI will keep us updated on the freebies so those of us stuck on iOS6 knows what's up for grabs.

post #46 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

There you go again. Keep repeating that word elitist; it won't make it true.

Here's the best example I can give you for my argument:

Now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glny4jSciVI

Original version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9BNoNFKCBI

The most popular American artist of 2 generations. There's no contest for original talent. It's obvious which is better. They even had to reuse older artist because they ran out of original current American musical talent from this generation.

You're a nut. The 80's had plenty of crap (subjective) and plenty of cover songs (objective) but, hey, keep on thinking music has sucked since the 1980s while you listen to your Flock of Seagulls and Poison greatest hits.


PS: I see you edited your previous comment to include YouTube videos of some Paolo Nutini. This exemplifies how far off you are since a video of a singer only shows their ability to sing and I doubt even you would claim that 80's artists possess signing abilities that are better than those in the 21st century — with Nutini being the sole exception since his 2009 album charred number 1in Ireland — so you must be referring to his ability as a songwriter yet you didn't make a single mention to it. Furthermore, what objective measure do you have that the Nutini in his 20's is better than songwriter than Lorde in her teens? I can't think of a single one and yet you repeatedly are making claims that all music is worse except for the artists you approve.
Edited by SolipsismX - 12/16/13 at 1:15pm

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #47 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You're a nut. The 80's had plenty of crap (subjective) and plenty of cover songs (objective)...

 

Now I'm elitist and a nut? Interesting.

 

Yes, the 80's had crap, but in the pop genre the level of original talent in the 80's far exceeds that of today. Most popular female in the 80's sounded very different. And yes, songwriting also is a part of original talent, I didn't need to mention this because it's obvious. Every popular female nowadays sounds less different. That's not subjective, it's sonic. They sounded more different then they do now, 'more' eclectic, more original. You can hear that with your ears.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

PS: I see you edited your previous comment to include YouTube videos of some Paolo Nutini.
 
I submitted and edited my comment because Safari 7.0 keeps crashing on AI. I'm posting this edit using Chrome. Paolo Nutini was used an example. I even added that I'm personally not into his music, but can recognise he has original talent. He stands out now even more so than he would have in the 80's, because original musical talent in the pop genre is practically unexpected these days. 
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

This exemplifies how far off you are since a video of a singer only shows their ability to sing...

 

There's no point in arguing with you if you're going to make statements like that:

 

"a video of a singer only shows their ability to sing..."

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2VCwBzGdPM


Edited by Ireland - 12/16/13 at 1:38pm
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #48 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

you are really old


I'm older than him. If he thinks good music was made in the 80's then I have two words for him --> Culture Club. Here's two more --> Led Zeppelin. Better than the much of the 80's IMO. Or how about Pink Floyd another 70's band.

But since I don't want to get into a silly my generation vs your generation argument, I will say that every generation has something to say.

I went previewing through Lorde's album on iTunes and kind of like it.  I also like Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Radiohead, Foo Fighters, Arcade Fire, Coeur de Pirate,  to name only a few international artists.

post #49 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I mean his artistry.

Oh, his artistry. Well why didn't you say so? There's nothing subjective about that¡ 1oyvey.gif

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #50 of 58

I wrote this on another board, and it has to do with film not music.  But I feel it is appropriate here.

 

You're creating a world of fantasy that never existed.  This happens a lot, and not just in discussions concerning entertainment ("Oh, the good old days, when things were simpler and cleaner").

 

People look back at older films and think "Wow!  Look how good movies used to be!"  What they aren't considering is that fact that the only films that 99.9% of people know from back then are the ones that were good enough to persist in the public consciousness.  For every "Gone With the Wind" or "Rebecca" there were 100s, if not 1000s of completely, utterly forgettable films, churned out one after another, with little to no concern for quality.

 

The author of this piece focuses on the films with the largest grosses.  Well, it makes sense that the big tentpole franchise pics, with the budgets in the 100s of millions, would be the ones drawing in the most massive grosses.  But the idea that nothing original is being done is only true in some alternate dimension.

 

I mean, in a world that contains directors like Paul Thomas Anderson, Steven Soderbergh (ok, he's retiring, but still), Jason Reitman, Darren Aronofsky, Gaspar Noe, Lars von Trier, Terence Malick, David O. Russell ... I could go on, but you get the idea.  Heck, look at films like "Martha, Marcy, May, Marlene" for inspiration.

 

Film is more alive now than it ever has been, and across all genres.

post #51 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

I wrote this on another board, and it has to do with film not music.  But I feel it is appropriate here.

You're creating a world of fantasy that never existed.  This happens a lot, and not just in discussions concerning entertainment ("Oh, the good old days, when things were simpler and cleaner").

People look back at older films and think "Wow!  Look how good movies used to be!"  What they aren't considering is that fact that the only films that 99.9% of people know from back then are the ones that were good enough to persist in the public consciousness.  For every "Gone With the Wind" or "Rebecca" there were 100s, if not 1000s of completely, utterly forgettable films, churned out one after another, with little to no concern for quality.

The author of this piece focuses on the films with the largest grosses.  Well, it makes sense that the big tentpole franchise pics, with the budgets in the 100s of millions, would be the ones drawing in the most massive grosses.  But the idea that nothing original is being done is only true in some alternate dimension.

I mean, in a world that contains directors like Paul Thomas Anderson, Steven Soderbergh (ok, he's retiring, but still), Jason Reitman, Darren Aronofsky, Gaspar Noe, Lars von Trier, Terence Malick, David O. Russell ... I could go on, but you get the idea.  Heck, look at films like "Martha, Marcy, May, Marlene" for inspiration.

Film is more alive now than it ever has been, and across all genres.

Film music is one area where the plunge in music quality is especially pronounced. All action films sound the same these days. I was watching the trailer for the second part of The Hobbit, and really, the music could have been for Avengers Assemble, Batman, Spider-Man, Game of Thrones-take your pick. So bland, so homogenous.

John Williams...now there's a film composer who will stand the test of time.
post #52 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Film music is one area where the plunge in music quality is especially pronounced. All action films sound the same these days. I was watching the trailer for the second part of The Hobbit, and really, the music could have been for Avengers Assemble, Batman, Spider-Man, Game of Thrones-take your pick. So bland, so homogenous.

John Williams...now there's a film composer who will stand the test of time.

I don't see the correlation. You did exactly what he stated; you picked out something good and used that as some template of how it all used to be. I can find movie music that was quite awful in the 80's (usually has a guitar riff in it) and John Williams is still composing today. If your comment is to say John Williams sucks today as compared to the 80's that would still be an opinion and facts like advanced age should be taken into consideration, but personally I think he sounds the same as he ever did, like most musical artists.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #53 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post


Film music is one area where the plunge in music quality is especially pronounced. All action films sound the same these days. I was watching the trailer for the second part of The Hobbit, and really, the music could have been for Avengers Assemble, Batman, Spider-Man, Game of Thrones-take your pick. So bland, so homogenous.

John Williams...now there's a film composer who will stand the test of time.

 

Yes, my comment was a bit off key, in that it was about film.

 

But you seem to have missed the entire point of what I was getting at.  And if you want me to get critical about Williams, ask for it.  Because I can.  Trust me.  But that has nothing to do with what I was talking about.

 

PS: BTW, is anyone else still experiencing problems with Safari and this site?  I can't seem to post here.  So I need to keep Firefox open for this site alone.  If it is fixed, that would be awesome.

post #54 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

PS: BTW, is anyone else still experiencing problems with Safari and this site?  I can't seem to post here.  So I need to keep Firefox open for this site alone.  If it is fixed, that would be awesome.

SO far not a single crash since updating to 10.9.1.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #55 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


I'll never understand this elitist tone toward music.

 

Sadly you're not being sarcastic. I was pointing out that popular music nowadays in general isn't as creative and original as it was in the 80's, It's not subjective. Lots of people of different ages agree with that statement, because it's true. Even popular singers like Adele sound like they are putting on a voice, and lots of contemporary popular female singers sound the same as one another.

 

Because the culture now is about grabbing people's attention quickly in broad terms true meaning has left the art form. It's no argument to suggest that popular music has become more homogenised. This doesn't apply to everyone, but it is noticeable.  This is not a controversial statement. And it most certainly is not elitist.

 

Perhaps they sound more like each other but the pool is bigger and there are now four or five performers that fill each of the archetypes of "performer" that would have been filled in the prior generations.

 

As an analogy I'll use fast food which I'm sure most people would never consider high culture. In the 80's McDonald's sold the Big Mac, Quarter Pounder and regular burgers. Each restaurant had their variations of that. However now you many different types of smaller restaurant chains that cater to smaller tastes. Additionally the big chains have added bigger burgers, chicken wraps, flavored coffees and what have you. Is the chicken wrap more homogenized than it might have been at a corner restaurant back when no one really knew what a chicken wrap was? Probably but the over all offerings have grown and improved.

 

Many of the elements of the songs nowadays I can't even imagine making it onto an album with a signed artist in the 80's. Sure once they do start getting used sometimes it feels like an overused garnish. Yes every restaurant seems to have a bacon-swiss burger but the point is that before none of the main chains did.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You're a nut. The 80's had plenty of crap (subjective) and plenty of cover songs (objective)...

 

Now I'm elitist and a nut? Interesting.

 

Yes, the 80's had crap, but in the pop genre the level of original talent in the 80's far exceeds that of today. Most popular female in the 80's sounded very different. And yes, songwriting also is a part of original talent, I didn't need to mention this because it's obvious. Every popular female nowadays sounds less different. That's not subjective, it's sonic. They sounded more different then they do now, 'more' eclectic, more original. You can hear that with your ears.

 

I figured I would take the middle of the decade, 1985 and look at the singles.

 

Madonna - absolutely forgettable vocally.

Chaka Khan - I feel for you. Overproduced and forgettable crap but get her a hit single.

Starship - We Built This City, still overproduced and generic to my ears.

Whitney Houston - A fantastic voice but every era and generation has theirs.

Teena Maria - Lovergirl - Overproduced and generic junk.

Pointer Sisters - I'm So Excited - Overproduced and generic junk.

Pat Benatar - We Belong - A good single and I'd say it has stood the test of time. Good song writing team too.

Aretha Franklin - Freeway of Love - Clearly an amazing voice but cashing in on an overproduced and generic dance hit.

Sheena Easton - Strut - Forgettable dance music where Prince threw her a B-side single to get some lovin'

Diana Ross - Missing You - Missing anything to help me rememeber this single.

Tina Turner - A couple nice singles but she had been toned down and they are just mid-tempo dance songs. No vocal power or distinctiveness shown at all in these hits.

Mary Jane Girls - In My House - Just another produced girl group in skimpy clothes.

Til' Tuesday - A very nice distinctive song and vocal but we still get these today. I'd argue this isn't any different than the Lorde hit single this year.

 

I'll look at the whole list and see if there is anything really standing out and the only thing I see is lot of folks able to parlay an often less talented solo career out of a previous group career or having an in via some connection to the industry. I see a lot of Phil Collins sans Genesis. Julian Lennon was and is completely forgettable. So are solo efforts by David Lee Roth and Jermaine Jackson. Honestly Sting minus the Police never really floated by boat either.

 

I look at 2012 and I see Psy charting (who knew Korean rappers would be hitting it big?), lots of Rhianna who has a pretty distinctive voice in my view. Goyte had his single take over the world. I'd put Pink and Adele up against any 80's singers and clearly they write as well. I'm not seeing much loss or difference really.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #56 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


Don't give me that garbage. I appreciate the free gesture by this billion dollar company, it was just a general comment on the state of modern music. You'll find people who appreciate every artist, but that doesn't make the artist any good. Don't give me that 'so don't listen to it' crap. A comment as dull, unoriginal and lacking substance as the music in question.

You will find people who hate every artist.Doesn't make that artist crap.

post #57 of 58

Thank you.

post #58 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by j4zb4 View Post

So don't listen to it... I am sure many many other people do like her/his music and appreciate the free song....

Don't give me that garbage. I appreciate the free gesture by this billion dollar company, it was just a general comment on the state of modern music. You'll find people who appreciate every artist, but that doesn't make the artist any good. Don't give me that 'so don't listen to it' crap. A comment as dull, unoriginal and lacking substance as the music in question.

 

Realize that the world doesn't rotate around you. There are people with different tastes in this world... There are people like you who hated Michael Jackson, Beatles and Queen too... Doesn't mean other people won't listen to what they like... YOU don't like it.. .fair enough... Move on... Don't belittle other people's choices... Unless you are paying their bills... Looking at your aggressive commenting on an internet forum I doubt you even pay your own bills..

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple gives away new Lorde single in '12 Days of Gifts' app preview