or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Beyonce's iTunes exclusive becomes Apple's fastest selling album ever

Beyonce's iTunes exclusive becomes Apple's fastest selling album ever

post #1 of 32
Digital music downloads hit a new record with the surprise launch of Beyonce's latest album, exclusively on iTunes, with more than 800,000 copies sold in the first three days.

Beyonce

Apple announced on Monday that the self-titled album from artist Beyonce reached 828,773 albums sold in just three days. It also broke the U.S. first-week album sales record with 617,213 copies sold domestically in the first seven days.

The album, which can only be purchased through Apple's iTunes Store, was also a global success, reaching the No. 1. position in a total of 104 countries.

The surprise "visual album" arrived on the iTunes Music Store last Thursday, alongside a music video for the single "Grown Woman." The album is priced at $15.99 and is available in both clean and explicit versions. Individual songs will be available to buy on Dec. 20.

Beyonce's latest album is her fifth studio recording, featuring 14 new songs and 17 videos shot around the world. Though the album was only available through iTunes, it was the artist's biggest sales week ever.
post #2 of 32
Not really that surprising, with 17 videos Supposedly 'explicit' ones. And no pre announcement surely helped as well.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
post #3 of 32
I liked it better when she was called "Beyonc?"

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #4 of 32
Nail in coffin for CDs?
post #5 of 32

I mentioned this a few days ago and wondered what Jay-Z will think when this album sets sales records (compared to his stupid Samsung stunt with his album Magna Carta).

post #6 of 32
Quote:
 Apple announce on Monday

That's some good writing right there.  

post #7 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by manxman View Post

Nail in coffin for CDs?

I don't think quite yet. I still prefer buying CD's to rip to FLAC & Apple Lossless. 

post #8 of 32
Nail in coffin for CDs?

Not until the iTunes Store sells ALAC.

post #9 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

I mentioned this a few days ago and wondered what Jay-Z will think when this album sets sales records (compared to his stupid Samsung stunt with his album Magna Carta).

So getting a company to buy 1 million copies up front at $5 a piece is considered a stupid stunt? I don't think you'd be saying that if you were receiving that check.
post #10 of 32

"Apple announce on Monday..."

Quote:

Originally Posted by starxd View Post

That's some good writing right there.  

I was taught that an article should be written for the target audience. I'd say they succeeded.

Edited by zroger73 - 12/16/13 at 11:19am
post #11 of 32
This just shows that iTunes is still incredibly relevant. My guess is we'll be hearing any day now about another "crisis" meeting called for by Samsung's executives. lol.gif
post #12 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme View Post

So getting a company to buy 1 million copies up front at $5 a piece is considered a stupid stunt? I don't think you'd be saying that if you were receiving that check.

In general making money isn't a bad thing but how the campaign was handled and the fact that he even responded that he wasn't happy with how parts of it were handled, is. And on the subject of making money, Beyoncé made more money selling fewer albums.

Typo edit.
Edited by foad - 12/16/13 at 11:34am
post #13 of 32

Its sad because it looks (and hears) like all the creativity was done in marketing, music never got any chance...

post #14 of 32

Does this one have the long-awaited duet with Edward Snowden?

post #15 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm holding out for BTC. :D

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #16 of 32

$13 million in 3 days? That's not a bad return on the investment.

Could lead to certain movie stars going the all-iTunes route for marketing and distribution of their own entertainment properties that they develop in-house... bye-bye movie studios.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #17 of 32
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post
I'm holding out for BTC. :D

Becker Tools Compressed Archive?

post #18 of 32
Quote:

Becker Tools Compressed Archive?

:lol:

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #19 of 32
DOJ to investigate exclusive Beyoncé deal.
post #20 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

May or may not be a joke.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #21 of 32

:lol:

The only other thing even remotely close is Block Truncation Archive, which is lossy and for greyscale images (used on the Mars rovers).

post #22 of 32
Quote:

How about selling out as an artist to a corrupt company?

There were numerous reports of complaints about Samsung 's App for their promotion. It crashed for many, wouldn't download the music for others and was found to be collecting data on users. I wonder if the bad press over all the problems made up for whatever money Jay-Z made?

Meanwhile Beyoncé announces a surprise album and it breaks records.

As Rogifan said, iTunes is still relevant.
post #23 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

This just shows that iTunes is still incredibly relevant. My guess is we'll be hearing any day now about another "crisis" meeting called for by Samsung's executives. lol.gif

It also shows that you can money on music sales.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #24 of 32
I gifted the album to my wife a few hours after the servers started to work properly and she loves it. There are no explicit videos or anything like as some suggest. The album is definitely a great value though with 14 tracks and 17 videos.

I don't think many artist can pull off an unannounced and unadvertised album release but she can and did successfully.

I'm just glad that she chose Apple and iTunes to do it with. I personally think that people who buy Apple products have more disposable income and this was a smart business move on her part.

It was amusing to see the tweets saying that "Beyonce' broke the internet" and all the news about Apple's servers crashing under the strain of the download activity for the album.

Here in Houston Beyonce' is accepted by all cultures and ethnicities represented in the city and she is a great representation here of hard work paying HUGE dividends. (She is from Houston)

2010 15" MBP, iPhone 5 64GB, New iPad 64GB LTE, (2) ATV 2nd Gen

2010 15" MBP, iPhone 5 64GB, New iPad 64GB LTE, (2) ATV 2nd Gen

post #25 of 32
Quote:

Nail in coffin for CDs?
What's a CD? 1wink.gif
post #26 of 32
Quote:

The only other thing even remotely close is Block Truncation Archive, which is lossy and for greyscale images (used on the Mars rovers).

BTC = Bitcoin

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #27 of 32
Quote:

How about selling out as an artist to a corrupt company?

There were numerous reports of complaints about Samsung 's App for their promotion. It crashed for many, wouldn't download the music for others and was found to be collecting data on users. I wonder if the bad press over all the problems made up for whatever money Jay-Z made?

Meanwhile Beyoncé announces a surprise album and it breaks records.

As Rogifan said, iTunes is still relevant.

Let's get one thing straight, Jay-Z is about making money. If he can get $5 million up front from a company then that's what he's gonna do. That it happens to be Samsung is irrelevant. Could it have been handled better? Yes, a lot better. But remember that the album was given away for free from Samsung so what exactly were people expecting? If the app crashed or was collecting data then blame Samsung.

Although Beyoncé most certainly generated more revenue, I'd wager Jay still took more money home.

​I wonder if this will open the door for other top artists to release on iTunes first before the physical CD hits brick and mortar stores. I'm interested to see if this works for other artists in the future.

post #28 of 32
Quote:

Quote:
Nail in coffin for CDs?

If they use a duck to sell it, would the format become AFLAC?
post #29 of 32
Quote:

Quote:

1,000,000 x $5 vs 860,000 (& counting) x $15.99 puts Beyoncé $8.75 million ahead just out of the starting gate.

Check in again in a month. Whoever thought this up was a marketing genius.

Think there'll be some iTunes Store app downloads on Windows as a result? Oh, maybe a few.

On Chromebooks, not so much.

Might be a few android switchers though.

(I'm not into her at all which is why I didn't realize Jay-Z is married to her)
Edited by vaporland - 12/16/13 at 11:53pm
post #30 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

By zooming in on her entire body of work.
post #31 of 32
BTC = Bitcoin

No wonder I didn’t get it; it’s completely unrelated. :lol:

post #32 of 32
Quote:

No wonder I didn’t get it; it’s completely unrelated. lol.gif

Sorry about that. 1biggrin.gif

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Beyonce's iTunes exclusive becomes Apple's fastest selling album ever