or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases OS X 10.9.1 Mavericks with focus on Mail
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple releases OS X 10.9.1 Mavericks with focus on Mail

post #1 of 58
Thread Starter 
Apple on Monday released the latest maintenance update for OS X 10.9 Mavericks, with a number of changes and enhancements to email handling, as well as tweaks to VoiceOver and the Safari Web browser.

Mavericks Update


After months of beta testing, Apple has pushed out its Mavericks update to end users, which brings anticipated fixes for the operating system's Mail app and system-specific performance and stability enhancements. Apple seeded the first 10.9.1 beta to developers in November and released the last build on Dec. 3.

For its first Mavericks point update, Apple concentrates on fixing issues with Gmail, Smart Mailboxes and group name handling in the built-in Mail app. When OS X 10.9 Mavericks first launched, users complained that the new Mail app did not support a number of Gmail functions. Apple quickly issued a standalone patch for the problem.

Improvements were also made to Smart Mailboxes and Mail search, while an issue that prevented contact groups from working properly has been addressed.

Outside of Mail, OS X 10.9.1 brings a fix for VoiceOver that prevented the service from speaking sentences containing emoji characters, resolves an issue that prevented iLife and iWork apps from updating on non-English systems and a bug that would cause multiple prompts to unlock the "Local items" keychain.

Finally, the release includes Safari 7.0.1, which brings fixes for filling out text fields and adds periodic updating to the Shared Links sidebar.

Full release notes:

The OS X Mavericks v10.9.1 Update is recommended for all OS X Mavericks users. It improves the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac.

This update includes:

  • Improved support for Gmail in OS X Mail, and fixes for users with custom Gmail settings Improves the reliability of Smart Mailboxes and search in Mail
  • Fixes an issue that prevented contact groups from working properly in Mail
  • Resolves an issue that prevented VoiceOver from speaking sentences that contain emoji
  • Fixes an issue that prevented iLife and iWork apps from updating on non-English systems
  • Addresses an issue that may cause multiple prompts to unlock "Local items" keychain
  • Addresses an issue that may cause Japanese keyboards to retain a previously used language
  • Resolves issue that prevents a Contact group name from populating the address field
  • Includes Safari 7.0.1
    • Fixes an issue that could cause Safari to become unresponsive when filling out forms on fedex.com, stubhub.com, and other websites Improves Credit Card
    • Autofill compatibility with websites
    • Improves VoiceOver compatibility with facebook.com


Updates Shared Links periodically when open in the Safari Sidebar


Apple's latest OS X 10.9.1 can be downloaded via Software Update or Apple's Support Downloads webpage. In addition to the general OS X 10.9.1 release, Apple has also issued a system-specific version for the late 2013 MacBook Pro with Retina display.
post #2 of 58

Now that's what I want for Christmas, not the 12 days of iTunes freebies.

post #3 of 58

iBooks had better darn well be fixed. Can't reset the application, can't add any more new books, can't delete the books that I have there, DOES NOT ACTUALLY DELETE PDFS WHEN I SAY TO DELETE THEM… It's completely and utterly broken now.

 

And what's with it turning my ePub files from single files to useless, broken folders?! I can't even sync my iPad anymore because nothing else can recognize those files.

 

Written in TextEdit.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #4 of 58

Yes! And I also wait for FCPX and Aperture. MacPro too expensive for me, just bought an iMac.

post #5 of 58
Mail still doesn't add a group contact correctly. I still have to go to the Contacts app to add it and that is still too difficult. Simple thing like this seems difficult to fix.
post #6 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Written in TextEdit.

So far it looks like you won't have to do that with Safari 7.0.1 in Mavericks 10.9.1.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #7 of 58
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
iBooks had better darn well be fixed. Can't reset the application, can't add any more new books, can't delete the books that I have there, DOES NOT ACTUALLY DELETE PDFS WHEN I SAY TO DELETE THEM… It's completely and utterly broken now.

 

And what's with it turning my ePub files from single files to useless, broken folders?! I can't even sync my iPad anymore because nothing else can recognize those files.

 

Just updated. 

 

NOPE.

 

Now I have to try to remember what books I had and download them all again individually. They didn’t even add metadata editing in the right-click menu. 

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #8 of 58

Safari is crashing like crazy for me on 10.9

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #9 of 58

You can dictate emoji?

post #10 of 58
It's 5:21pm here on the east coast and no update is available.

The bug fix that I want is for the Finder to stop switching to my 1st space when I quit an app in the 2nd space (even if I just ran that app from my 2nd space)
post #11 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

You can dictate emoji?

Yes and no. First off, the update fixes Emoji being read back to you, not you dictating Emoji to it. However, while not technically Emoji you can use dictation in OS X to have some emoticons written for you. I know you can dictate smiley face and winkyface but besides that I haven't given it much of a run-through. If you can dictate Emoji proper and have it be represented by the proper Unicode character it's news to me.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #12 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post

It's 5:21pm here on the east coast and no update is available.

The bug fix that I want is for the Finder to stop switching to my 1st space when I quit an app in the 2nd space (even if I just ran that app from my 2nd space)

Nothing is mentioned about this in the update notes. Not a word about Spaces fixes or improvements.

post #13 of 58
Installation bug? The 10.9.1 downloaded and then restarted then installed. Sounds good, right?!

But, it downloaded, restarted and installed without administrator permission! I was logged in as a normal user. Normal users must not have the ability to install operating system software. When it restarted, it restarted as me--the regular user that had been logged in before. At no point did the process ask for the administrator login and password.

Security breach!!!!!
post #14 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

Installation bug? The 10.9.1 downloaded and then restarted then installed. Sounds good, right?!

But, it downloaded, restarted and installed without administrator permission! I was logged in as a normal user. Normal users must not have the ability to install operating system software. When it restarted, it restarted as me--the regular user that had been logged in before. At no point did the process ask for the administrator login and password.

Security breach!!!!!

There's an opt-in auto-uptdate question during the installation. The admin for the machine seems to have selected "Yes".  That's editable under "System Preferences...App Store... Automatically check for updates, etc."

post #15 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post
 

Nothing is mentioned about this in the update notes. Not a word about Spaces fixes or improvements.

 

But you have to know that the update notes are — and pretty much always have been — an unreliable guide to all the fixes. Some things get fixed silently. I'm not saying that these things are, but I have learned to pay little attention to what Apple says they are fixing and put more trust in the people on boards like this — who will report on whether their favourite issue is still an issue.

AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
Reply
AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
Reply
post #16 of 58

The FedEX.com issue is fixed for me. Very happy about that.

post #17 of 58
It's over for Apple. I am an analyst and am downgrading Apple stock to junk status after the details of this Mavericks update was released. If all we can get in a x.1 release is a Mail update and some VoiceOver patches, then that means Apple can't innovate anymore. I expect a home run each and every time, even for a x.x.1 release.
post #18 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post
But, it downloaded, restarted and installed without administrator permission! I was logged in as a normal user. Normal users must not have the ability to install operating system software.

Security breach!!!!!

 

As far as I know Windows has the exact same behavior. You don't even need to be logged in to install automatic updates, you hit reboot and install updates at the login screen and it does its thing as part of the reboot process.

post #19 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

It's over for Apple. I am an analyst and am downgrading Apple stock to junk status after the details of this Mavericks update was released. If all we can get in a x.1 release is a Mail update and some VoiceOver patches, then that means Apple can't innovate anymore. I expect a home run each and every time, even for a x.x.1 release.

 

Yeah, right.  Now go upstairs to mom and have dinner.

post #20 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Yeah, right.  Now go upstairs to mom and have dinner.
Pretty sure it was sarcasm.
..... the greatest fame comes from adding to human knowledge, not winning battles.
Paraphrased from Napolean Bonaparte, 1798
Reply
..... the greatest fame comes from adding to human knowledge, not winning battles.
Paraphrased from Napolean Bonaparte, 1798
Reply
post #21 of 58
I'd like to have AirTunes back on my 1stG appleTV. Worked for years, and then suddenly gone. Weirdly, Apple Support folks respond like it never existed. Odd, even considering that today is Emmanuel Goldstein's birthday.
post #22 of 58
Maverick has been the first Apple OS that I regret upgrading. I have more than 10 Apple devices in my household - So I am a big fan of the company. I have never uttered this before, but I feel Apple has started to started to relax with their quality. Yes, Steve would have not let Maverick go out before it was really ready.

Here are some of the issues that has been painful for me, which I never saw it before.

- The switch back to single display from multi-display is very poor. As work I have two displays and I use them. When I back up to get come home, all I do is shut my Macbook and unplug th other display. When I open on my laptop it sometimes thinks that I have second display and if I open the open from dock it does not appear.
- In outlook the screen shows up hit tittle back hidden.
- Network connectivity is poor
post #23 of 58

It's the little things for me that irk me. I just downloaded SidEffects yesterday to get rid of the monochrome icons when i click on my hard drive for Documents etc. Was driving me nuts. I came from Snow Leopard which still had the color icons. Also I thought maybe in this .1 update they would bring colored icons to Mail for Folders, Inbox, VIPS. OSX is so colorful I don't know what the deal is with monochrome icons. At least let it be an option...?

post #24 of 58

Hello Apple!

 

There's a huge unresolved problem in Apple Mail & Pages.

 

You can't email documents from Pages if you're using Gmail as your outgoing mail server. That would seem to be a pretty popular outgoing mail server.

 

The file type is considered unacceptable by Gmail servers, and you need to workaround it every time.

 

When is this getting fixed?  

 

It's completely unacceptable, and at least tens of thousands of users are putting up with this every day.

 

....

post #25 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebags View Post

Hello Apple!

There's a huge unresolved problem in Apple Mail & Pages.

You can't email documents from Pages if you're using Gmail as your outgoing mail server. That would seem to be a pretty popular outgoing mail server.

The file type is considered unacceptable by Gmail servers, and you need to workaround it every time.

When is this getting fixed?  

It's completely unacceptable, and at least tens of thousands of users are putting up with this every day.

....

• http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #26 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Safari is crashing like crazy for me on 10.9
Me too. Particularly on AI. In fact- I was trying to respond to you and your crazy comment that 80s pop music was good. Outside of Michael jackson- all pop sucks and always will (yes, Madonna included). 1wink.gif. But I couldn't say it because safari crashed four times in a row and I said F it. Hah


Edit: it just. Crashed again on me- this time from my ipad. Wth! AI problem?

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #27 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

can't delete the books that I have there, DOES NOT ACTUALLY DELETE PDFS WHEN I SAY TO DELETE THEM

 

 

You can not haz (delete) books/pdf’s now.

If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
Reply
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
Reply
post #28 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Now I have to try to remember what books I had and download them all again individually.

 

They should be listed under the ‘Purchased’ tab in iBooks.

 

Hehe! ;) 

If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
Reply
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
Reply
post #29 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebags View Post
 

Hello Apple!

 

There's a huge unresolved problem in Apple Mail & Pages.

 

You can't email documents from Pages if you're using Gmail as your outgoing mail server. That would seem to be a pretty popular outgoing mail server.

 

The file type is considered unacceptable by Gmail servers, and you need to workaround it every time.

 

When is this getting fixed?  

 

It's completely unacceptable, and at least tens of thousands of users are putting up with this every day.

 

....

 

Thank Google for this one, buddy.

 

They recently implemented changes so that Apple users will deliberately experience ‘issues’ when using Gmail.

 

The good news is that if you swap everything across to Google/Android (stop nudging me, Eric!) everything works perfectly!

 

Using Gmail on an Apple device: The news iOS Google Maps Debacle.

If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
Reply
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
Reply
post #30 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post
 

Thank Google for this one, buddy.

 

They recently implemented changes so that Apple users will deliberately experience ‘issues’ when using Gmail.

 

The good news is that if you swap everything across to Google/Android (stop nudging me, Eric!) everything works perfectly!

 

Using Gmail on an Apple device: The news iOS Google Maps Debacle.

 

I moved completely away from Gmail.  Problem solved.

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply
post #31 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

I moved completely away from Gmail.  Problem solved.
^this^

With the extra bonus my and all my correspondents private communications no longer get sold off by Google.
post #32 of 58

So, is there a bunch of new Mac Pro stuff in here? Optimised OpenCL drivers maybe.

post #33 of 58

I wonder if this update will include a fix for whatever in Mavericks causes Macbook Pro Retinas to have a complete system freeze.  Nothing as minor as a kernel panic, mind, just instant sudden death.  I have had it happen three times since downgrading from ML.  I just wish a Macbook Pro Retina would run Snow Leopard - the best OS Apple has made - so I could go back to that.

post #34 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post
 

I wonder if this update will include a fix for whatever in Mavericks causes Macbook Pro Retinas to have a complete system freeze.  Nothing as minor as a kernel panic, mind, just instant sudden death.  I have had it happen three times since downgrading from ML.  I just wish a Macbook Pro Retina would run Snow Leopard - the best OS Apple has made - so I could go back to that.

 

I had a pretty bad freeze today, just before the update came out. I couldn't shut down the machine (MacBook Pro Ret.) and it was steadily increasing in heat underneath. From the two incidents I've had, both followed interrupting some process (loading a page today) which then seemed not to terminate. Fortunately, I was eventually able to get the system to shut down, but I had a moment of kernel panic myself.

AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
Reply
AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
Reply
post #35 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eluard View Post
 

 

I had a pretty bad freeze today, just before the update came out. I couldn't shut down the machine (MacBook Pro Ret.) and it was steadily increasing in heat underneath. From the two incidents I've had, both followed interrupting some process (loading a page today) which then seemed not to terminate. Fortunately, I was eventually able to get the system to shut down, but I had a moment of kernel panic myself.


I question the wisdom of sealed units that don't allow you to get at lithium batteries and unplug them.  Security screws that few have the bits for don't help either.

post #36 of 58

Test.  This is a test.  Sorry.

 

YAY!  I can finally post with Safari!  Woo-hoo!

post #37 of 58
Originally Posted by Joebags View Post

…using Gmail…

 

Found your problem.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #38 of 58

Not feeling great about what this update doesn't address.  If at least the Finder doesn't go back to its previous non-sluggish state with constant wait stages I'm downgrading to the backup.  

 

Do they have a tough job?  Of course.  Just don't want to keep spending 10 minutes on what used to take 3.

post #39 of 58

I still can't double-click on a group in Mail to populate the To or Bcc fields, in fact I still can't double-click on a single Address name, which renders the Address window completely useless. Forwarding to a whole Group of people means going back to a previous email and copy-pasting or drag-dropping a bunch of adresses. I've actually been forwarding far fewer emails since Mavericks, expecting a quick fix on this.

 

Is there a new setting I'm missing here ?

post #40 of 58

Still can't copy and paste into the Safari search bar on my MacBook Air without the spaces being converted to %20 and receiving an error message :-(

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases OS X 10.9.1 Mavericks with focus on Mail