or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone 5s ranks as third most popular Google search of 2013

Apple's iPhone 5s ranks as third most popular Google search of 2013

post #1 of 24
Dominant search platform Google on Tuesday released its annual list of the most popular subjects sought by its users, and Apple's flagship iPhone 5s appeared third on the list, showing intense interest from consumers.

Google

Apple's third-place finish was revealed in Google's annual Year-End Zeitgeist list, which ranked the top 10 global trending searches of 2013. The iPhone 5s finished behind first-place Nelson Mandela, the South African civil rights revolutionary who passed away earlier this month, and second-place Paul Walker, the Fast and Furious actor who died in a car crash a few weeks ago.

The other smartphone appearing in the top 10 was Samsung's own flagship handset, the Galaxy S4. It came in 8th, just ahead of Sony's PlayStation 3 game console.

The rest of the top 10 subjects, finishing after Apple's iPhone 5s, were: Cory Monteith, Harlem Shake, Boston Marathon, Royal Baby, and North Korea.

Apple's performance on Google's trending searches in 2013 improved over 2012, when the term "iPad 3" ranked fourth. Last year, the third-generation iPad finished behind Whitney Houston, Gangam Style, and Hurricane Sandy.

The company had three top 10 searches in 2011, when the subjects of Steve Jobs, iPad 2, and iPhone 5 (which would actually become known as the iPhone 4S) were all ranked.
post #2 of 24
So if those two hadn't died, the iPhone would have been the most searched for?
post #3 of 24

I find this VERY hard to believe.  Mandela/Walker is VERY recent news.  How could it overtake other searches that have been going on the entire year? 

This must just be for the last month or several months.

post #4 of 24
Suck on that Google!
post #5 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I find this VERY hard to believe.  Mandela/Walker is VERY recent news.  How could it overtake other searches that have been going on the entire year? 

Who else died earlier in 2013 that should top Nelson Mandela and Paul Walker?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #6 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I would have thought that Boston Marathon, Royal Baby and iPhone 5s would have topped Paul Walker... which makes me believe these results are top weighted to more recent trends.

[... or US weighted]

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #7 of 24
#3, that's high. And considering Android users don't browse the web much, this is al the more weird. Possibly Windows users finding something to ogle at work.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #8 of 24
Is there anyone ambitious enough to link to the individual videos in the google ad above? Pretty please?
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by scalpernt View Post

Is there anyone ambitious enough to link to the individual videos in the google ad above? Pretty please?

That's gonna be difficult. Ads have their way of popping up when you don't want them, but when looking for them they cannot be found. Besides, it was a self indulging Google ad...for themselves. Quite pathetic IMO.
post #10 of 24
Apple fails to be #1 searched topic. Two deceased people beat iPhone.

Of course the Fandroids will say everyone knows about the GS4 so they don't need to search as often.
post #11 of 24
People are weird. Why would I "Google" Nelson Mandela? I would go to his Wikipedia entry or I would search on some particular media site.

I might have Google the dead F&F6 guy's name because I didn't know who he was when people on Facebook were commenting about his untimely death.

But as this points out, people use Google for very different things, so as a zeitgeist measure it's pretty bad. Twitter data would be a much better source. And you can do proper sentiment analysis.
post #12 of 24
Originally Posted by malax View Post
Twitter data would be a much better source. And you can do proper sentiment analysis.

Oh, yeah. Radicals sure don’t post on Twitter more than non-radicals; I’m sure we can discern sentiment from Twitter ¡

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #13 of 24

Another way to look at it was that the Iphone 5s had more issues so people were searching the web for solutions to their issues. Personally it is not usually a good things to be ranked high on Google trends it usually mean something bad happen and people are trying to find information about what happen like people dying.

post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, yeah. Radicals sure don’t post on Twitter more than non-radicals; I’m sure we can discern sentiment from Twitter ¡

People don't search for truth. They search for statistics that agrees with whatever they already believe.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Another way to look at it was that the Iphone 5s had more issues so people were searching the web for solutions to their issues.

How come in 2011, "iPhone 5" was a top 10 search term? The iPhone 5 wasn't sold until late 2012. OOPS THERE GOES YOUR THEORY.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Margret Thatcher (world wide not just USA)

Pope resigns

Boston Marathon

I understand Mandela but Walker? 

post #17 of 24
Quote:

The 5s did only come out a few months ago.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #18 of 24
Quote:

People are weird. Why would I "Google" Nelson Mandela? I would go to his Wikipedia entry or I would search on some particular media site.

I might have Google the dead F&F6 guy's name because I didn't know who he was when people on Facebook were commenting about his untimely death.

But as this points out, people use Google for very different things, so as a zeitgeist measure it's pretty bad. Twitter data would be a much better source. And you can do proper sentiment analysis.

Then you have no idea how dumb people can be. I know people that put web addresses into the Google search bar instead of the address bar and no matter how many times I correct them they still do it.
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Then you have no idea how dumb people can be. I know people that put web addresses into the Google search bar instead of the address bar and no matter how many times I correct them they still do it.

Heh... I constantly have to remind people to stop doing that as well.  At times, I just give up and watch them do it and see how they react.  They try again, and again until they get frustrated to the point they almost give up, then I just point and say "Why don't you try typing it in the right box?".

People are just clueless to the Nth degree.  

I wonder if that was the reason why all the browsers now let you input both search and URL's in the same box now.  They probably just succumbed to the stupidity of users as well.

post #20 of 24
Quote:

Margret Thatcher (world wide not just USA)
Pope resigns
Boston Marathon

I understand Mandela but Walker? 

We are in celebrity centric world. How else would any of the Kardashians be famous?
post #21 of 24
Quote:

Why would Google lie? Especially if it makes Apple look good?

(Three crashes).

post #22 of 24
1. Surface 2
2. Surface
3. Windows 8
4. Metro
5. Awesome Windows 8 Metro
6. Nokia with Metro
%u2026%u2026
8. Walker guy
9. Nelson Mandela
10. iPhone 5S
%u2026
101. Galaxy

Search results for year provided by Bing Search.
post #23 of 24
Originally Posted by djkikrome View Post
Search results for year provided by Bing Search.

Sure thing, Microsoft.

post #24 of 24
Quote:

QFT. I don't even use Google search anymore. I had already switched to DuckDuckGo, which still uses Google of course, but nowadays I simply use Wikipedia as a starting point. No ads, good articles and links that *usually* work if I want to find out more.

Google search is pretty crap, but in their defence, it could also be that keywords aren't used correctly by websites themselves. Still, giving me search result pointing to 6 year old articles on the first results page is just...crap.

Google

"We try, but won't ever get it right.
Probably because we don't give a rats ass."
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone 5s ranks as third most popular Google search of 2013