or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's new cylindrical Mac Pro desktop arrives Thursday starting at $2,999

Apple's new cylindrical Mac Pro desktop arrives Thursday starting at $2,999

post #1 of 296
Apple's much anticipated new high-end Mac Pro desktop, in a completely new and unique cylindrical design completely manufactured in America, will become available to order starting Thursday at an entry price of $2,999.

Mac Pro

Apple announced availability of the new Mac Pro on Wednesday, boasting that the redesigned desktop will sport the latest Intel Xeon processors, dual workstation-class GPUs, PCIe-based flash storage, and ultra-fast ECC memory.

The launch less than a week before Christmas means Apple will meet its self-imposed December deadline, announced by the company in October, when it also revealed pricing for the professional-grade machine.

The new Mac Pro is 9.9 inches tall and one-eighth the volume of its predecessor, featuring Xeon E5 processors of up to 12 cores, as well as AMD FirePro graphics that can deliver up to eight times the graphics performance of the previous Mac Pro. It also sports next-generation flash with a PCIe controller with up to 1.2GB/s reads, 1.0GB/s writes, and up to 1-terabyte capacity.

Thunderbolt connectivity with six integrated ports offers 20Gb/s throughput, and the new Mac Pro can drive up to three 4K displays with HDMI 1.4 support. In all, Apple says the Mac Pro can support up to 36 high-performance peripherals, including the latest 4K displays, all at once.

With ECC DDR3 RAM, the system can deliver up to 60GBps of memory bandwidth, which Apple says will allow seamlessly editing full-resolution 4K video while simultaneously rendering effects in the background.

The Mac Pro is also a landmark achievement for Apple, as it will be the company's first machine entirely assembled in the U.S. Apple and its supply chain partners have been under fire for years for working conditions in mainland China and the Far East.

AppleInsider took a first look at the Mac Pro when Apple showed off the revamped hardware in October. Its innovative industrial design rethinks the entire concept of desktop computing by looking at the current state of computing with a fresh perspective.

Apple said the all-new Mac Pro will be available to order on Thursday through its online store, Apple's retail stores, and select authorized Apple resellers. No word was given on when shipments may arrive.

Memory

The Mac Pro is available with a 3.7 GHz quad-core Intel Xeon E5 processor with Turbo Boost speeds up to 3.9 GHz, dual AMD FirePro D300 GPUs with 2GB of VRAM each, 12GB of memory, and 256GB of PCIe-based flash storage starting at $2,999.

When configured with a 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 processor with Turbo Boost speeds up to 3.9 GHz, dual AMD FirePro D500 GPUs with 3GB of VRAM each, 16GB of memory, and 256GB of PCIe-based flash storage, the desktop starts at $3,999.

Configure-to-order options are also available, including faster 8-core or 12-core Intel Xeon E5 processors, AMD FirePro D700 GPUs with 6GB of VRAM, up to 64GB of memory, and up to 1TB of PCIe-based flash storage.
post #2 of 296
No official pricing yet other than for the two base models.
post #3 of 296

Finally!

Now if I can find two considerate early adopters who order the 6 and 8 core versions to test a render from an free app and post the results...  8-)

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #4 of 296

It's small enough to easily fit down any Chimney.

Here's hoping Santa accidently drops one down ours!

Merry Christmas all.

post #5 of 296
Ok, this is odd. I commented, got thanked for it, and then nothing.

Edit:

Ah, now it showed up!
post #6 of 296
I wish I could both afford/justify the purchase of one of these beauties!
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #7 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by aelegg View Post

Merry Christmas all.

I hope he doesn't. Drop it, that is.
post #8 of 296
Quote:

Merry Christmas all.

Just one?

I'll take two!  Not dropped, of course...

post #9 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I hope he doesn't. Drop it, that is.

If Santa uses a drone, the Mac can be lowered gently, through the chimney.

post #10 of 296

Thursday...  That's an hour from now where I live!  

Doubt that will be the case, though, so I will have to wait until tomorrow night likely before checking prices.

Bummer.  (in advance if needed)

post #11 of 296
Quote:

Merry Christmas all.

I don't have a chimney.

:(

post #12 of 296
If Dyson manufactured computers this would be what they'd make; a compliment.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #13 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by msantti View Post

I don't have a chimney.

:(

Me either, but I started drilling a hole in the roof...

- - - - -

Going to call my local shop in the morning to see if they have more info.

(about the MP, not on how to drill holes in the roof)

post #14 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Dyson's products suck. 1smile.gif

Thompson
post #15 of 296

Personally I can’t wait until one of these shows up on the desk of some scientist or artist on a PBS program, or Morgan Freeman’s “Through the Wormhole” show. It’s just too cool not to.

post #16 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Thompson

Nothing sucks a like Hoover!

post #17 of 296
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Thompson

So true. Twice as much as the alternatives, I hear. I hope these new Mac Pros are quieter than a Dyson though. My original G5 wasn't.
post #18 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

So true. Twice as much as the alternatives, I hear. I hope these new Mac Pros are quieter than a Dyson though. My original G5 wasn't.

Saw somewhere that at idle it is as quiet as a Mac mini.

That is quiet.

I wonder what it will be like at full blast?

post #19 of 296
It is a bit of economic poetry that the high end MacPro is the same price as the original LISA computer! Let us do hope that the next generation will have a price point closer to today's MacPro.
post #20 of 296
"Apple announced availability" ... OMG ... Christmas comes early. I was really expecting to order this month for delivery in a few months ...

six core or eight core that is the question for me ...
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #21 of 296
Clearly Wall Street doesn't care about Mac Pro as AAPL is down over $9 on no China Mobile deal yet.
post #22 of 296
Quote:

Thompson

Some of the blow.
post #23 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpusMundi View Post

It is a bit of economic poetry that the high end MacPro is the same price as the original LISA computer! Let us do hope that the next generation will have a price point closer to today's MacPro.

I truth very top end Mac, loaded has maintained a very high $ level. I had a Lisa and I paid close to $10,000 for a fully loaded Mac II fx. The same was true for the Quadra 840 av and so on ... nothing has changed except more power for the buck.
post #24 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Clearly Wall Street doesn't care about Mac Pro as AAPL is down over $9 on no China Mobile deal yet.

I doubt Wall Street types even know what a Mac Pro is. They are probably focused on a Microshit Tablet running Microcrap Orifice.
post #25 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Saw somewhere that at idle it is as quiet as a Mac mini.

That is quiet.

Yeah, Schiller said that on stage. Also, the idle power draw for the new Mac Pros is remarkable at just 43 watts.
Edited by Ireland - 12/18/13 at 7:10am
post #26 of 296

Can't wait for an unboxing video, plus some pics of setups. :)

post #27 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I doubt Wall Street types even know what a Mac Pro is. They are probably focused on a Microshit Tablet running Microcrap Orifice.

Just woke up the neighborhood laughing at that!

post #28 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj.yuan View Post

If Santa uses a drone, the Mac can be lowered gently, through the chimney.

Unfortunately, mine has a stainless steel grid on the top to keep squirrels out.
post #29 of 296
Quote:

Unfortunately, mine has a stainless steel grid on the top to keep squirrels out.

You forget both Santa and Apple Macs are magic .... 1biggrin.gif
post #30 of 296
Quote:

Thompson

But not in a good way.
post #31 of 296
Quote:

No, it's not. Taking inflation into account from then, it's about $20,000 in today's dollars.
post #32 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Mac Pro is also a landmark achievement for Apple, as it will be the company's first machine entirely assembled in the U.S. 

I think the Apple I was the company's first machine entirely assembled in the U.S.

post #33 of 296
Quote:

"Apple announced availability" ... OMG ... Christmas comes early. I was really expecting to order this month for delivery in a few months ...

six core or eight core that is the question for me ...

Despite my daughter's enthusiasm at wanting my old Mac Pro once I get the new one. I'm going to wait until next year. I don't feel that this years chips are that much better than last years, and that the next chips will make up for that. Also the GPUs aren't the newest design either.

I believe that next years models will offer much more performance.

In addition, we are just now seeing Thunderbolt 2 drive towers. I'd rather see a second generation on that.

I'm not even sure whether this model uses Express 2 or the new 3.
post #34 of 296
Quote:

yea where is china mobile deal? it looks like no deal today, such s shame.

post #35 of 296
Quote:

Dispute my daughter's enthusiasm at wanting my old Mac Pro once I get the new one. I'm going to wait until next year. I don't feel that this years chips are that much better than last years, and that the next chips will make up for that. Also the GPUs aren't the newest design either.

I believe that next years models will offer much more performance.

In addition, we are just now seeing Thunderbolt 2 drive towers. I'd rather see a second generation on that.

I'm not even sure whether this model uses Express 2 or the new 3.

I remember a few years ago, in the white-plastic era, where it was common knowledge to never buy a rev A because they had too many problems.

Waiting for Rev B.   Old school!

post #36 of 296

Right you are a LISA in today's dollars would be $23,388.80. And of course the new MacPro is probably faster than a Cray 1 - it will be great to learn more about its application in realtime rendering and HD editing. Thanks for the reminder about "constant dollars." 

post #37 of 296
Quote:

Quote:

I truth very top end Mac, loaded has maintained a very high $ level. I had a Lisa and I paid close to $10,000 for a fully loaded Mac II fx. The same was true for the Quadra 840 av and so on ... nothing has changed except more power for the buck.

Yeah, I remember when the most expensive/powerful computer made by Apple was the LaserWriter…
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #38 of 296

We have seven moderately-optioned Mac Pro towers in our graphics group. They're set up with a 256GB SSD main drive (most files are on the server), a 1TB WD Caviar Black auxiliary internal drive, and the original 1TB Apple internal drive for local Time Machine backup. And that still leaves one open drive bay; drives can be swapped out in less than 5 minutes. By upgrading RAM and swapping out hard drives for SSDs I've been able to keep these Mac Pros productive for many years.

Now all of them should be potential candidates for replacement by the new Mac Pro cylinder.

However when we needed a new workstation earlier this month, I ordered a BTO 27" iMac, optioned-up with 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, quad 3.5GHz i7, and upgraded Nvidia GTX 780M 4GB graphics. List price is $2749, plus tax etc. That's $250 less than the bare base price of the new Mac Pro, except that for that money we also get a new 27" display otherwise worth $1000. (Oh, and the Mac Pro price doesn't even include a keyboard or mouse!) While the iMac offers no internal expansion (other than a couple of open RAM slots, should they be needed), neither would the new Mac Pro cylinder. Yes, I'm less than thrilled at the need to substitute external drives for the tidy, cheap and flexible internal option, but that's now a wash either way. I'm sure the new Mac Pro would benchmark out to be faster, but for most purposes the iMac is more than fast enough.

Apple hasn't lost us as a professional customer, but we won't be buying the new Mac Pro. Shops that do a lot of HD video work or 3D rendering will want the new machine, but by the time they pay for RAM, more CPU cores, and add external Thunderbolt hard drives, those are going to end up as very expensive workstations indeed. (I can also see the new Mac Pro being used for some kinds of scientific work.)

We're so pleased with our new 27" iMac so much that I've ordered two more of them; they're being delivered today. We'll probably replace the rest of the old Mac Pros early next year. I'm really going to miss them.

Edited by NeilM - 12/18/13 at 7:33am
post #39 of 296
"t will be the company's first machine entirely assembled in the U.S." I don't believe Apple started assembling abroad until the early '90s. Before that, _all_ of Apple's machines, Apple IIs, IIIs, Lisas, and Macs, were assembled in the USA, though they started manufacturing some circuit board in Singapore in 1981. See:

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2012/12/06/a-short-history-of-apples-manufacturing-in-the-u-s/ .
post #40 of 296
1hmm.gif
Quote:

While I was buying Macs for my company before, my first Mac was the Quadra 950. I paid $6,000 for the base machine. $289 for the pro keyboard. And extra $400 to go from the 160 MB HDD to the 320. It came with a large amount of RAM for the day—8 MB. 48 MB more RAM cost me an additional $5,200. An extra MB of video RAM was $320. That was for CPU graphics. A Radius card was $3,650. A NEC 21" graphics multi sync monitor was $3,400. I installed the first CD player in N America, at least. It was a Toshiba 2x player, the fastest at the time. That cost $750. I had to machine out my Mac in my machine shop to do it.

Take inflation into account, and it was expensive. Multiply by 1.7. Wow! I just did the math. It comes out to just over $34,000. It's strange. It didn't seem to be that much then. Sigh! I suppose we were just used to it back then.

Things are so CHEAP These days!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's new cylindrical Mac Pro desktop arrives Thursday starting at $2,999