or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple updates Final Cut Pro with Mac Pro optimizations

Apple updates Final Cut Pro with Mac Pro optimizations

post #1 of 27
Hot on the heels of Thursday's Mac Pro release, Apple updated its flagship Final Cut Pro video editing software with tweaks and additions tailored to take advantage of the new desktop's capabilities.

FCP

Final Cut Pro hit version 10.1 with the update and brings a slew of optimizations, performance enhancements and user interface changes targeted at high-end hardware, like the redesigned Mac Pro.

Among the added features, Mac Pro-specific assets include optimization for the computer's standard dual-GPU setup, as well as video monitoring at up to 4K resolutions via Thunderbolt 2 and HDMI.

A selection of new features from the release notes:

• Optimized playback and rendering using dual GPUs in the new Mac Pro
  • Video monitoring up to 4K via Thunderbolt 2 and HDMI on select Mac computers
  • 4K content including titles, transitions, and generators
  • Libraries allow you to gather multiple events and projects within a single bundle
  • Easily open and close individual libraries to load just the material you need
  • Option to import media to locations inside or outside a library
  • Automatically back up libraries to a user-specified drive or network location
  • Project Snapshots let you quickly capture the project state for fast versioning
  • Non-rippling retime option
  • One-step Replace and Retime
  • Custom project frame sizes
  • Detach audio from Multicam Clips in the timeline to manipulate audio and video separately
  • Make video or audio-only edits into the timeline with Multicam Clips as sources
  • Native support for .MTS and .MT2S files from AVCHD cameras
  • Used media indicators on source clips
  • API for custom Share operations using third-party software

In addition to the above improvements, the latest Final Cut Pro now offers direct 4K shares to YouTube, iOS photo importing, FxPlug 3 with custom plug-in interfaces and dual-GPU support, and more.

Apple's Final Cut Pro version 10.1 can be purchased now through the Mac App Store for $299.99, or as a free download for existing customers.
post #2 of 27
Wow, don't think I have ever seen a 4K video on Youtube.
post #3 of 27
No Aperture update? I guess we'll know in two weeks whether it's really dead or not.
post #4 of 27
Lots of software updates recently.

C'mon, iOS 7.0.5...
Android: pitting every phone company in the world against one, getting a higher number, and considering it a major achievement.
Android: pitting every phone company in the world against one, getting a higher number, and considering it a major achievement.
post #5 of 27
No raw support! Are you freaking kidding me?
aren't you going to miss being the smarter minority when Apple goes mainstream?
aren't you going to miss being the smarter minority when Apple goes mainstream?
post #6 of 27
Aperture was updated to v3.5 in October, and more recently to 3.5.1. Don't think it's dead just yet.
post #7 of 27

As for the desperately needed Aperture update…crickets. It continue on life support.

post #8 of 27
Requires Mavericks. Great, Apple. First you don't address the Western Digital Raid software conflict (which wiped all of my drives, WD and non) and now I can't even upgrade on my system that I was forced to roll back to Mountain Lion? I could really use that auto backup feature.
post #9 of 27
Originally Posted by damage976 View Post
I could really use that auto backup feature.

Well, you know what to do, then.

post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, you know what to do, then.

I'm not touching it with any length of pole until I finish this project I had to manually recover. Manual duplicates until then, I suppose.
post #11 of 27
Manual duplicates until then, I suppose.

Or Time Machine.

post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Or Time Machine.
Does Time Machine backup external drives? I may be wrong but that's my main issue. I create duplicates in Final Cut to my RAID and then cross my fingers that Backblaze backs up that copy in time.
post #13 of 27
Quote:

Does Time Machine backup external drives? I may be wrong but that's my main issue. I create duplicates in Final Cut to my RAID and then cross my fingers that Backblaze backs up that copy in time.

I believe that it does, it's just off be default. Open TM prefs and go to Options. You'll see your externals in the "exclude" list. Presumably removing it would back it up.

post #14 of 27
Quote:

Yes
"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything" Robert Zemeckis/Bob Gale/Robert_E._Lee
"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything" Robert Zemeckis/Bob Gale/Robert_E._Lee
post #15 of 27
Quote:

Requires Mavericks. Great, Apple. First you don't address the Western Digital Raid software conflict (which wiped all of my drives, WD and non) and now I can't even upgrade on my system that I was forced to roll back to Mountain Lion? I could really use that auto backup feature.

http://www.bombich.com

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarenf1 View Post

I know I was thinking the same thing. My biggest request was for CinemaDNG support. With Blackmagic and Apple so close you would think it would be a no brainer!

post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel84 View Post

Aperture was updated to v3.5 in October, and more recently to 3.5.1. Don't think it's dead just yet.

I don't want to go on the cart!

post #18 of 27
Wow, awesome updates! Final Cut Pro is slowly but surely becoming the video editing software of the future we thought it would be. Really nice, the retiming stuff is a great addition.
post #19 of 27
What Apple did to Aperture In October hardly resembles an update IMHO.

I am long on my shares of AAPL at $37.00

I am long on my shares of AAPL at $37.00

post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarenf1 View Post

Why do you need that?  The iPhone doesn't shoot in RAW.

post #21 of 27
Actually, most of these updates aren't targeted at high-end hardware, just the first few. After that it's a slew of very useful updates to anyone who uses Final Cut Pro X regularly. I'm personally extremely excited about organizing my projects into libraries and being able to automatically back up libraries. Project Snapshots sound incredibly useful as well. No more duplicating projects to save different stages of the edit. This all sounds great to me. 1smile.gif
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

I know I was thinking the same thing. My biggest request was for CinemaDNG support. With Blackmagic and Apple so close you would think it would be a no brainer!

Why not transcode to ProRes 4444 for editing? It's even useable for color grading.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

http://www.bombich.com

CCC My #1 favorite utility software for more years than I care to think.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Long on AAPL so biased
post #24 of 27
Weird thing is I swear FCP X is behaving far better on my aged i7 MBP after this update targeting Mac Pros. I was able to apply two effects and a sound filter to Pro Res and play back smoothly immediately. That has never happened before.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #25 of 27
Quote:

It backs up any drive you tell it too.  You just have to have a big enough drive.

post #26 of 27
Quote:

Good grief don't use Time Machine to back up FCPro data! It's intended for the average Joe's Mac where it spots small changes and appends these incrementally. Use it yes on your Mac's main system and day to day office type data drive but for backing up large amounts of data such as video or even Aperture files for example there are whole different strategies required. Carbon Copy Cloner is a good example of a utility for duping a large data drive and runs well in background while you work although not while doing video capture of course.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #27 of 27
I don't use TM for backing up FCPX files, which is why I was questioning this workflow. Now that I've recovered everything, I'm considering mavericks again so I can update to 10.1. Apparently, the new FCPX update has backup built in.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple updates Final Cut Pro with Mac Pro optimizations