or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Standard Mac Pro configurations now ship from Apple in February

Standard Mac Pro configurations now ship from Apple in February

post #1 of 42
Apple quickly sold out of its initial allotment of Mac Pro inventory when preorders began on Thursday, as new orders are now scheduled to ship in February.

Pro orders

When Apple's all-new professional-grade desktop first went on sale early Thursday, default configurations of the Mac Pro were advertised as available to ship by Dec. 30. That quickly slipped, however, and as of later in the morning, new orders are now listed as available to ship in February, with no specific date provided.

The newly advertised shipping date suggests Apple has already sold out of its initial allotment of Mac Pro machines. The February ship date applies to both the quad-core model starting at $2,999, and the 6-core version at $3,999.

One reason for limited availability could be that the new Mac Pro is being manufactured entirely in the U.S. Apple's efforts are unique for a modern electronics company, as most current gadgets are assembled in factories in the Far East.

Despite the delays and limited stock, Apple technically met its self-imposed December deadline for launching the new Mac Pro. However, it would seem that most who are interested in the machine will not in fact receive their order until well into 2014.
post #2 of 42
People buy it for mining bit coins ?
post #3 of 42
The Verge got their hands on a unit. And of course the comments section is filled with ubiquitous overpriced trash can posts.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/19/5227466/the-new-mac-pro-2013-hands-on
post #4 of 42

That's a pretty big jump from Dec. 30 to Feb.

post #5 of 42

Ahhhh !!

The Quality and Cachet, of "Made In America"

9 to 5 work hours

1 Hour Paid Lunch

3 - 20 minute breaks

2 Inspectors to every worker

....this ain't no Chinese labor, ya know

with their 18 hour work days, sleep in the back, can-do approach

post #6 of 42

Remarkable how much more you can get for that price compared to a couple of decades ago... even just into the 90's.

post #7 of 42
The move to manufacturer in the United States clearly reflects the tactic Tim Cook (and team) are putting in place as their long-term strategy. U.S. companies clearly realize that protected IP is selfishly being stolen by external entities (e.g. China). Although manufacturing in the U.S. raises costs across the board, the most important thing is to protect Intellectual Property ... and Apple is carving out a path to do just that.
post #8 of 42
Can't wait for this machine to be shipped. It will definitely be a beast with blazing speeds.
post #9 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

Ahhhh !!

The Quality and Cachet, of "Made In America"

9 to 5 work hours

1 Hour Paid Lunch

3 - 20 minute breaks

2 Inspectors to every worker

....this ain't no Chinese labor, ya know

with their 18 hour work days, sleep in the back, can-do approach

There's no paid lunch in Texas

post #10 of 42
So any guesses as to their initial stockpile size? It seems like they had a pent-up demand for well over 100k units, possibly 500k. Would be great to see the Mac Pro maxed out for two quarters in a row.

I do worry a little about the tax year spending getting screwed up though due to later deliveries.
post #11 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

The Verge got their hands on a unit. And of course the comments section is filled with ubiquitous overpriced trash can posts.

"It's astonishingly reflective — I can see the screen clearly, and anyone who walks by is immediately recognizable — and it picks up fingerprints really easily."

I'm starting a petition for a matte version¡

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #12 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quazze View Post

The move to manufacturer in the United States clearly reflects the tactic Tim Cook (and team) are putting in place as their long-term strategy. U.S. companies clearly realize that protected IP is selfishly being stolen by external entities (e.g. China). Although manufacturing in the U.S. raises costs across the board, the most important thing is to protect Intellectual Property ... and Apple is carving out a path to do just that.
According to the Jony Ive bio recently released, Apple's Operations organization was demanding that the Mac Mini be manufactured in the USA but the designers couldn't find anyone who could manufacture it to their specifications. Foxconn basically bent over backwards to do whatever Apple wanted.
post #13 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

"It's astonishingly reflective — I can see the screen clearly, and anyone who walks by is immediately recognizable — and it picks up fingerprints really easily."

I'm sure after market cases will show up soon enough. 1wink.gif
post #14 of 42
Thank heavens I woke up at 5 a.m., I had to buy mine in the 2013 tax year. My little guardian angel obviously wanted it too!
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #15 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetorrey View Post

That's a pretty big jump from Dec. 30 to Feb.

Yeah, paying workers living wages and giving them holidays off means you have to wait a couple more weeks than usual. I know, it's hard to be you!

post #16 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

Yeah, paying workers living wages and giving them holidays off means you have to wait a couple more weeks than usual. I know, it's hard to be you!

I'm sure Apple will be using those Boston Dynamic robots to make them soon ... Oh wait a minute ...1hmm.gif
post #17 of 42
Quote:

Yeah, no way the Mac Pro can compete with (insert Intel code names) and (nvidia code name) coming in 2016 when the current tick-tock cycle has completed and oh, here are some Call of Duty benchmarks showing 12000 FPS.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #18 of 42
Quote:

Matte? I'm spraying mine metallic red as soon as it arrives and seeing if I can auction it for 7 figures 1smile.gif
post #19 of 42
"...short, but not too big around..."

-Roger Miller
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #20 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

So any guesses as to their initial stockpile size? It seems like they had a pent-up demand for well over 100k units, possibly 500k. Would be great to see the Mac Pro maxed out for two quarters in a row.

I do worry a little about the tax year spending getting screwed up though due to later deliveries.

Not to be an ass but they probably had less than one hundred. Just enough to meet their launch deadline and not be completely embarrassed. I still suspect Intel is the hold up here.
post #21 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I'm sure Apple will be using those Boston Dynamic robots to make them soon ... Oh wait a minute ...1hmm.gif

This type of labor should go to robots.. repetitive motion labor is the epitome of misery IMO. But at least this misery is paid a little bit more here. 

post #22 of 42
Quote:

Quote:

Matte? I'm spraying mine metallic red as soon as it arrives and seeing if I can auction it for 7 figures 1smile.gif

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #23 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

One reason for limited availability could be that the new Mac Pro is being manufactured entirely in the U.S.

Possibly. However when Intel announced the TB2 chipset they said it would start production in 2013 but full production wouldn't be happening until 2014. I am guessing the lack of those chips is playing a large part in the delay given the demand for them is ramping up. Not only from Apple but also from other motherboard manufacturers.

-kpluck

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

post #24 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Not to be an ass but they probably had less than one hundred. Just enough to meet their launch deadline and not be completely embarrassed. I still suspect Intel is the hold up here.

Really?

I've recently read where quite a few A/V pros have been approached by Apple -- and possibly salting them with high-end units...

I'll see if I can find a link!
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #25 of 42
How many were available at launch? 5?

I do agree with Quazze's comments, though. Assembling the MP here could be carving out a path to move more manufacturing back here to the U.S. I hadn't considered the I.P. angle before, but that's a great point. And Apple's robotic purchases means that they wouldn't have to pay union rates either.
post #26 of 42
Quote:

This type of labor should go to robots.. repetitive motion labor is the epitome of misery IMO. But at least this misery is paid a little bit more here. 

Darn! You spoiled my Google joke there, being all serious.
post #27 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Really?

I've recently read where quite a few A/V pros have been approached by Apple -- and possibly salting them with high-end units...

Me, pick me, me me ...(said in my finest Donkey impersonation)
post #28 of 42
Quote:

Quote:

Really?

Me me me me ...(said in my finest Donkey impersonation)

Donkey-Hote?

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #29 of 42

So, it's sold out already?

Well, that is not surprising to me at all. This machine is killer. It sure is a sexy looking machine.

I am also fairly certain that the hordes of people making dumb "trash can" comments are extremely envious of the new Mac Pro, and they also know that they could never afford one, therefore these jealous people and losers have to slam what is unobtainable for them.

I also hope that Apple moves more and more towards robotic manufacturing. Screw humans.

post #30 of 42
Quote:

Donkey-Hote?

mmmm... mine was more Eddy Murphy ... 1biggrin.gif

post #31 of 42
Quote:

Can't stop the Mac haters. It's always been that jealousy is all over the place. I don't see any PC manufacturer can deliver a hot product like Apple with Mac Pro...Yeah, Made In USA, baby. Bring it on.

post #32 of 42
Quote:

To you maybe but some people seem too really like those sorts of jobs. Even people with a little bit more upstairs than usual for a manufacturing operation. I don't really know why but I see it everyday at work.
post #33 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I also hope that Apple moves more and more towards robotic manufacturing. Screw humans.

Not "screw humans"; focus human labor on work that humans do best instead of lousy work that machines SHOULD do. You're such a humanitarian.
post #34 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I'm going to bookmark your comment and will come back here to slap you with sale release figure from Apple early next year. Just wait.

post #35 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

I'm going to bookmark your comment and will come back here to slap you with sale release figure from Apple early next year. Just wait.

I'd like to be wrong but it is my understanding that Apple was pushing Intel hard for the TB2 chips which were not scheduled for launch until 2014. Who knows maybe it was a 1000 machines the point is this high end machine sold out real fast which implies limited stock. This especially considering the next batch is pushed out to February 2014.

Honestly it does look a bit pathetic for Apple, they really dragged this out. The old Mac Pro should have gotten a better update in 2012 to better bridge the gap.
post #36 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Can't stop the Mac haters. It's always been that jealousy is all over the place. I don't see any PC manufacturer can deliver a hot product like Apple with Mac Pro...Yeah, Made In USA, baby. Bring it on.

Yeah! Can't wait to hear the reactions to Walt Mossberg's Top Products in Two Decades of Tech Reviews

post #37 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

Not "screw humans"; focus human labor on work that humans do best instead of lousy work that machines SHOULD do. You're such a humanitarian.

I swear I think he is pulling our legs every day. No one is really such an [ redacted].
post #38 of 42
Quote:

Darn! You spoiled my Google joke there, being all serious.

Sorry, I'm not aware of what you meant,
Was it a jab at Google glasses asses?
post #39 of 42
Quote:

Sorry, I'm not aware of what you meant,
Was it a jab at Google glasses asses?

Google just bought Boston Dynamics ... google them. 1smile.gif
post #40 of 42
Quote:

Really?

Dick, seen this

This is some crazy shit ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-myFXiEh2Q
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Standard Mac Pro configurations now ship from Apple in February