or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple reinforces commitment to professionals with nearly 200 US-built Mac Pro configurations

Apple reinforces commitment to professionals with nearly 200 US-built Mac Pro configurations - Page 2

post #41 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaJim View Post

I didn't bother to figure out all the possible valid combinations, but my rough estimate came to over 600,000 different possible configurations. I guess that makes HP 3,000 times more committed to professionals...

I really hate marketing lines that talk about the matrix of configuration options, as it's misleading. The most rudimentary knowledge of statistics can be used to show that the total number of configurations will balloon very quickly as a few options are added on.

post #42 of 49
Originally Posted by JavaJim
[worthless post]

When HP manages to get hardware this fast, that size with one fan, you let us know. Until then, don’t bother posting again.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #43 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The Mac Pro has never been discontinued. It was not brought back from any state of not being sold.

I think he's referring to the fan issue, and therefore technically correct:
http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/156051/mac-pro-no-longer-available-from-european-online-apple-stores
post #44 of 49
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post
I think he's referring to the fan issue, and therefore technically correct:
http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/156051/mac-pro-no-longer-available-from-european-online-apple-stores

Ah, is that what the 17-inch crowd calling it these days, their “fan issue”. :lol:

He’s not; one was discontinued entirely, the other had idiots telling engineers what is and is not safe.

post #45 of 49
Quote:

Ah, is that what the 17-inch crowd calling it these days, their “fan issue”. lol.gif

He’s not; one was discontinued entirely, the other had idiots telling engineers what is and is not safe.

The 17" may have been discontinued, but I don't get why they whine about that; they've been given a MBP with an even larger screen in a smaller FF.

Yes that fan issue was the most ridiculous thing I've seen in tech, nee Europe, nee board decision, nee ...whatever
post #46 of 49
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post
Yes that fan issue was the most ridiculous thing I've seen in tech, nee Europe, nee board decision, nee ...whatever

“Let’s completely encase and obstruct an internal fan designed to facilitate airflow!” :smokey:

post #47 of 49
Quote:

When HP manages to get hardware this fast, that size with one fan, you let us know. Until then, don’t bother posting again.

Apparently the intended tongue-in-cheek humor of my post was lost on you.  I was attempting to illustrate the stupidity of multiplying out the all the possible options as a demonstration of "commitment," particularly give that Apple does not fair well in a comparison of this measure to its competitors (and HP has been the primary beneficiary of Apple's neglect of the workstation market).

My point was that 200 different configurations hardly represents any astonishing commitment to the type of professionals that actually want Xeon-based workstations; in fact, compared to other Xeon-based workstations (and even its predecessors), the new Mac Pro offers a paltry few options for configuring.   The article is making a big deal over something that is not a big deal at all.  

The new Pro is a nice bit of form-factor engineering, and I hope that single fan does keep it cool under high loads.   But what business benefit does that small form factor provide?  What problem does it solve?   Is a small form factor and a single fan really a bigger benefit than being able to have more memory, more cores, in-cabinet raid storage, and a more flexible upgrade path?   I don't think so.   Besides, if I have to add an external raid array to it to have decent storage, the form-factor is all but immaterial.

Most high-end users care about things like expandability and upgradeability.  The old Mac Pro was a good design for that.   This new design abandons most of the traditional goals of workstation design.  It's more a super-charged reincarnation of the G4 Cube than it is a workstation.   That doesn't mean it is a bad machine, but it seems to me to be focused more on addressing Apple's design whims than it does the needs of the type of folks who buy high-end workstations.  YMMV.

post #48 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaJim View Post

Apparently the intended tongue-in-cheek humor of my post was lost on you.  I was attempting to illustrate the stupidity of multiplying out the all the possible options as a demonstration of "commitment," particularly give that Apple does not fair well in a comparison of this measure to its competitors (and HP has been the primary beneficiary of Apple's neglect of the workstation market).

My point was that 200 different configurations hardly represents any astonishing commitment to the type of professionals that actually want Xeon-based workstations; in fact, compared to other Xeon-based workstations (and even its predecessors), the new Mac Pro offers a paltry few options for configuring.   The article is making a big deal over something that is not a big deal at all.  

The new Pro is a nice bit of form-factor engineering, and I hope that single fan does keep it cool under high loads.   But what business benefit does that small form factor provide?  What problem does it solve?   Is a small form factor and a single fan really a bigger benefit than being able to have more memory, more cores, in-cabinet raid storage, and a more flexible upgrade path?   I don't think so.   Besides, if I have to add an external raid array to it to have decent storage, the form-factor is all but immaterial.

Most high-end users care about things like expandability and upgradeability.  The old Mac Pro was a good design for that.   This new design abandons most of the traditional goals of workstation design.  It's more a super-charged reincarnation of the G4 Cube than it is a workstation.   That doesn't mean it is a bad machine, but it seems to me to be focused more on addressing Apple's design whims than it does the needs of the type of folks who buy high-end workstations.  YMMV.

He got what you were trying to say, but what you were saying is that 200 different options isn't proof of any commitment when another vendors offers more options, which simply isn't valid on two distinct levels.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #49 of 49
Quote:

Quote:

“Let’s completely encase and obstruct an internal fan designed to facilitate airflow!” 1smoking.gif

Lol. Brussel might take this new model off the European market again after they got someone to stick their hand inside. Wait...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple reinforces commitment to professionals with nearly 200 US-built Mac Pro configurations