or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › China Mobile signs deal with Apple, will launch iPhone 5s, 5c in January

China Mobile signs deal with Apple, will launch iPhone 5s, 5c in January

post #1 of 99
Apple officially announced its agreement with China Mobile today. The world's largest carrier and most significant remaining mobile operator to not sell iPhones will begin taking preregistrations on December 25 and bring iPhone 5s and 5c models to retail stores for sale on January 17.

China Mobile

While previously hinted at by a series of leaks and promotions, the partnership is now official, according to a press release issued by Apple. The announcement described the deal as a "multi-year agreement."

Apple's new iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c will be made available in retail stores operated by China Mobile in addition to Apple's own retail outlets in mainland China starting on Friday, January 17, 2014. Both phones will also be "available for pre-registration" on China Mobile's official website and from its customer service hotline "10086" beginning on Wednesday, December 25, 2013.

Apple and China Mobile have yet to outline pricing and availability of iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c, but will open preregistration for the devices later this week to allow customers to register their interest and request additional information. Actual sales will begin in January, during Apple's second fiscal quarter.

China Mobile is the world's largest mobile services provider by network scale and subscriber base, serving over 760 million customers.

China Mobile's Chairman Xi Guohua stated, "Apple's iPhone is very much loved by millions of customers around the world. We know there are many China Mobile customers and potential new customers who are anxiously awaiting the incredible combination of iPhone on China Mobile's leading network. We are delighted that iPhone on China Mobile will support our 4G/TD-LTE and 3G/TD-SCDMA networks, providing customers with high-speed mobile service."

Apple's chief executive Tim Cook noted in the announcement that "Apple has enormous respect for China Mobile and we are excited to begin working together. China is an extremely important market for Apple and our partnership with China Mobile presents us the opportunity to bring iPhone to the customers of the world's largest network.

"iPhone customers in China are an enthusiastic and rapidly growing group, and we can't think of a better way to welcome in the Chinese New Year than getting an iPhone into the hands of every China Mobile customer who wants one," Cook added.

Apple stated that China Mobile "now has over 1.2 million 2G/GSM, 3G/TD-SCDMA, 4G/TD-LTE base stations and over 4.2 million Wi-Fi access points, providing broad coverage to quality networks for iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c customers."

Apple China Mobile

China Mobile is also in the process of "rolling out the world's largest 4G network," the release noted. "By the end of 2013, China Mobile's 4G services will be available in 16 cities including Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou and Shenzhen. By the end of 2014, China Mobile plans to complete the rollout of more than 500,000 4G base stations, which will cover more than 340 cities with 4G service.

"The collaboration between Apple and China Mobile will give a big boost to the development of China's homegrown 4G/TD-LTE technology. iPhone on China Mobile supports major cellular network standards, making a global phone a reality for China Mobile customers."

Analyst Chris Whitmore of Deutsche Bank anticipated earlier this month that after making iPhones available on China Mobile, Apple and the carrier will also work to bring iPads as the "next logical step."

Various analysts have estimated that the China Mobile deal will help Apple sell an additional 12 to 23 million smartphones in 2014. An estimated 40 million users are already using iPhones on China Mobile's network, although those unlocked devices have not been able to use the newly launched 4G TD-LTE or even the existing 3G TD-SCDMA networks, making them effectively 2G GSM and WiFi-only devices.
post #2 of 99

First, its about time!

post #3 of 99
F..k yeah...
post #4 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple officially announced its agreement with China Mobile today. The world's largest carrier and most significant remaining mobile operator to not sell iPhones will begin taking preorders December 25 and bring iPhone 5s and 5c models to retail stores in China on January 17.

While previously hinted at by a series of leaks and promotions, the partnership is now official, according to a press release issued by Apple.

Developing

Quoted for reference, in case it gets redacted. If true, hats off to Apple and CM. Could make the decision on the config easier for those ordering a new MP.
“A PC is no bargain when it doesn’t do what you want.” - Apple 2009
“A PC is no bargain when it doesn’t do what you want.” - Apple 2009
post #5 of 99
lets see what negative spin the put to it..
post #6 of 99
Time to buy Stock
post #7 of 99
100% true, on Apples website under media
post #8 of 99
I predict DOOMED.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #9 of 99
Booom!

Mind not for rent, to any god or government.

Mind not for rent, to any god or government.

post #10 of 99
Nothing like keeping the momentum from the holiday quarter going on into the new year.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

post #11 of 99

And I predict the stock will barely move tomorrow.

post #12 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Nothing like keeping the momentum from the holiday quarter going on into the new year.

That should keep the investors happy for a bit. Could add a nice chunk'a change to Apple coffers. It may have taken longer than hoped but now that' the deal is in the can Apple's market share there can only go up and probably fast.
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #13 of 99
OMG at last.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #14 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

That should keep the investors happy for a bit. Could add a nice chunk'a change to Apple coffers. It may have taken longer than hoped but now that' the deal is in the can Apple's market share there can only go up and probably fast.

Well that was very gracious from a Google guy 1smile.gif

My retirement looks a little better ... 1smile.gif
post #15 of 99

Lol that only took 5 years.  Finally.

post #16 of 99
As a large share holder do I "sell on the news"?
post #17 of 99

RELEASE THE KRAKEN!!!

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

post #18 of 99
I don't know, how much do you weigh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoy13 View Post

post #19 of 99
LOL, yep, and the analysts will claim:

1.) Already factored into the price
2.) The Chinese won't buy it because:
A.) They only buy unsubsidized phones
B.) iPhones are too expensive for the Chinese market
C.) So many cheaper clones available
D.) iPhones are known to electrocute the Chinese
E.) Chinese people hate gay CEO's
F.) Steve Jobs is dead
G.) Apple is the new BlackBerry
3.) Apple is actually doomed by inking this deal.
4.) But Google does robots now

(sorry, couldn't help a few of those, I'm one of the faithful, even though my Retina Mini is stuck in a bootloop ATM)
Edited by Esoom - 12/22/13 at 4:18pm
post #20 of 99

In other news, AAPL is down $300 per share in response.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #21 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax44 View Post

I don't know, how much do you weigh?

Few hundred shares...
post #22 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Since the deal was widely expected your prediction is likely pretty accurate.  What will move the stock is if Apple either fails to meet expectations or wildly blows the doors off them.

post #23 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoy13 View Post

$70 or bust (adusted for a 10 for 1 split)
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #24 of 99
Good.
post #25 of 99
I'm too mature to say that I called it happening before Christmas.

Thank you Santa. Just what I wanted

27 million more iPhones.
post #26 of 99
A source told me the delay was because CM was waiting to determine how quickly they could get 4G/LTE turned on in Hong Kong. Apple insisted HK be included in the launch and China Mobile only got government approval to operate LTE in HK earlier this month.
post #27 of 99

Fantastic. So that gives 2 weeks of sales before Chinese New Year, the biggest buying holiday of the year.

post #28 of 99
Originally Posted by Eric Swinson View Post
China Mobile only got government approval to operate LTE in HK earlier this month.

Wait… a government-owned, government-controlled company required government approval?

We sure the commies know what they’re doing over there? :lol: 

post #29 of 99
Quote:

I hope not the case, but sadly it might end up being the case, because Wallstreet hates California and they have manipulated this stocks for many weeks! They will find some reason to sink the stock! FU Wall Street!
post #30 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wait… a government-owned, government-controlled company required government approval?

We sure the commies know what they’re doing over there? :lol: 

Hong Kong is weird like that. 

post #31 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmia View Post

lets see what negative spin the put to it..

News like this always brings out the manipulators to drive down Apple's stock.

Let's try this headline: With the addition of China Mobile to Apple's distribution, Apple has no place left to expand.
post #32 of 99
Originally Posted by radster360 View Post
I hope not the case, but sadly it might end up being the case, because Wallstreet hates California

Oh, they’re fine with California. Look at Google’s recent bubble.

post #33 of 99
If jobs were alive, this deal would have been done in 1971
post #34 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by formosa View Post

Fantastic. So that gives 2 weeks of sales before Chinese New Year, the biggest buying holiday of the year.
Yep! Nicely timed! I hope Apple can meet the demand! Just waiting for market to open to see what happens to the stock!
post #35 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by castcore View Post

If jobs were alive, this deal would have been done in 1971

The would have handed Nixon a new iPhone when he got off the plane in Beijing.

post #36 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frood View Post

Since the deal was widely expected your prediction is likely pretty accurate.  What will move the stock is if Apple either fails to meet expectations or wildly blows the doors off them.

Except last week when Reuters reported there was no deal the stock was down 2% so it should at least get back what it lost the past two weeks.
post #37 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by radster360 View Post

I hope not the case, but sadly it might end up being the case, because Wallstreet hates California and they have manipulated this stocks for many weeks! They will find some reason to sink the stock! FU Wall Street!
Nah, Wall Street hates Apple. Plenty of other CA tech companies get wall streets love.
post #38 of 99
Quote:

Except last week when Reuters reported there was no deal the stock was down 2% so it should at least get back what it lost the past two weeks.

That would be my guess too. With a little more upside.

post #39 of 99
Stock price drops. Analysts: this should have happened weeks ago. Too late, Apple.
post #40 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

$70 or bust (adusted for a 10 for 1 split)

You forgot to price it in yuan. :D

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • China Mobile signs deal with Apple, will launch iPhone 5s, 5c in January
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › China Mobile signs deal with Apple, will launch iPhone 5s, 5c in January