or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple to debut larger iPhone in May, 12.9-inch iPad in October
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rumor: Apple to debut larger iPhone in May, 12.9-inch iPad in October - Page 3

post #81 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post
 


My comment isn't about the original size iPad. It is about a 12.9" iPad. Such a size would be very heavy. It would even be bigger than an 11.6" netbook in width and height.

 

I just went to the Acer web site. They are selling the C720P for only $269 for now. That is for a touch screen Chromebook with 2 GB RAM and a 32 GB SSD. The Haswell 1.4 GHz Celeron has proven to be faster than the last generation chip and a great power saver. The iPads only have one thing better than this machine and that is a higher quality screen.

 

I think there's a nice market waiting for a larger iPad, and Chromebooks are god awful, I bought one and gave the damn thing away, the screen was the worst screen I've seen in years, the whole thing was sluggish and laggy, and the touchpad was the killer for me, it's a device best used by the elderly (if you hate your parents and grandparents) and children in the US, seems more appropriate for developing countries.

post #82 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Baker View Post
 

And what exactly has Samsung done other than steal from Apple and make a bigger phone?

What exactly has Samsung "stolen" from Apple?  People here claim how great there is competition in the market, then they suddenly claim no one else is allowed to make a phone that is a rectangle with a glass front.  Can't have it both ways.  There is something called basic functionality of a product.  All cars have the basic elements that make them cars.  Phones are the same.  Prior to the iPhone, all cellphones had a screen and buttons to operate.  They had a speaker and a mic and similar text-based operating systems that allowed you to dial and store contacts.  Some phones evolved and used an icon-based operating system before the iPhone.  Apple did not invent touch screens and they did not invent icon-driven operating systems.  Hardware manufacturers did not sue each other about what their phones looked like because it was the basic functionality of a phone.  Why hasn't Apple sued all hardware manufacturers that make a bar-style phone with a touchscreen?  Samsung isn't the only company.

 

Years later, it came out that Apple did not have a patent on the rubber-band effect when they demoed the iPhone in 2007.  Can't claim a patent after you showed it to the public without a patent.

 

In the 90s, it was hatred for Microsoft.  Then Microsoft saved Apple with the $150M investment in 1997 when other companies wanted to buy Apple and eliminate them.  Microsoft continued their own path and made their own business decisions that had an effect on their brand-popularity.  People will choose Android phones because that is their preference.  People are not confused about phones and they do not believe a Samsung phone is an iPhone.  If you favor competition in the market, let them make their phones.  People will choose based on what they want to use, not choose by confusion.  Samsung makes good products.  I have no problem buying their TVs or SSD drives for my MacBook Pro.  Apple offered no alternatives except for build to order (MacBook Pros prior to retina models) and their SSD prices were, and are still a joke.  Samsung's SSDs are top-rated in the market.  Why would I choose another brand?  Would I buy their phone?  No, because I don't want to use the Android system.  It has nothing to do with hating Samsung or thinking they stole from Apple.

post #83 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

Want a bigger phone? Yes, a 5" iPhone would be great, but why not go whole hog and add FULL cellular capabilities to the iPad mini? Talk about a "phablet!"

It would be an interesting option for consumers to see how many would actually buy such a configuration.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #84 of 110
"Hillstiones", QFT.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #85 of 110
Hillstones, not all cars look alike. Mustang != Corvette. Jeep != Hummer.
post #86 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point, but I don't see the iPad mini serving Paxman (or me) at all because it doesn't make phone calls.

I just don't get the reasoning process that comes to the conclusion that carrying around TWO devices in the form of tablet-plus-phone is somehow more portable than just a larger phone.

iPad does make phone calls if you want it to. It's called SKYPE.

I'm ok if Apple releases a larger iPhone. I would buy one.

But you can make calls on an iPad just fine if you really need to.
post #87 of 110
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post
There is something called basic functionality of a product.

 

And? “Rubber band scrolling” is “basic functionality”? No. Scrolling is. When they wholesale copy the UX, that’s not kosher.

 
All cars have the basic elements that make them cars.

 

All cars steer identically? All cars accelerate identically? All cars break identically?

 
Prior to the iPhone, all cellphones had a screen and buttons to operate.

 

Not all buttons performed the same tasks or operated in the same way.

 
Hardware manufacturers did not sue each other about what their phones looked like because it was the basic functionality of a phone.

 

No, look is not functionality. Do you understand either concept?

 
Why hasn't Apple sued all hardware manufacturers that make a bar-style phone with a touchscreen?  

 

Because you’re just making crap up now.

 

Can't claim a patent after you showed it to the public without a patent.

 

And what’s the basis for this nonsense statement?

 
Then Microsoft saved Apple with the $150M investment in 1997
 

 

Just shut up about things you don’t understand, please.

 
People are not confused about phones and they do not believe a Samsung phone is an iPhone. 

 

There’s legal documentation that says otherwise.

 
If you favor competition in the market, let them make their phones.

 

No, that’s not how it works.

 
…their SSD prices were, and are still a joke.

 

So you don’t understand PCIe storage, either.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #88 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And? “Rubber band scrolling” is “basic functionality”? No. Scrolling is. When they wholesale copy the UX, that’s not kosher.

All cars steer identically? All cars accelerate identically? All cars break identically?

Scrolling has existed on phones for quite sometime.

Steer left, go left, steer right, go right, hit the accelerator, car accelerates, hit the brake, and the car brakes. That's how most if not all cars work, and have been doing so for the last hundred years or so.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #89 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Prove it.

 

So? You think Lady Liberty wants a smaller tablet?

 

Also the fact that they’re tablets, have absolutely nothing to do with this piece of trash whatsoever, and are in absolutely no way comparable. 


People are already saying that the full size iPad is too heavy to hold for long. The new iPad Air is better but it still won't be comfortable for many people. So do you somehow believe that Apple can make a 12.9" iPad as light as an iPad Mini? If not then it will be heavier than even the iPad Air. That was just plain stupid of you to not think that a 12.9" tablet wouldn't be heavier than the current iPad.

 

A laptop with a touch screen is similar to a tablet with an external keyboard. Apple makes one and so does Microsux and so does Samsung. They do have plenty to do with tablets. A touch screen laptop would seem more functional than a tablet alone for the people who want to do typing. Why not buy a touch screen laptop like that when it costs half the price of a tablet without a keyboard?

 

A heavy 12.9" tablet will need to be put onto a table or lap. If the advantage of size is gone then why not just have a laptop? See, there is a logical reason why people would select a touch screen laptop over a heavy 12.9" tablet. Add in the cheaper price with more storage and more RAM and include the keyboard for much less money and you've got a winner.


Edited by Smallwheels - 12/24/13 at 10:35pm
post #90 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoom View Post
 

 

I think there's a nice market waiting for a larger iPad, and Chromebooks are god awful, I bought one and gave the damn thing away, the screen was the worst screen I've seen in years, the whole thing was sluggish and laggy, and the touchpad was the killer for me...

Are Chromebooks killing MacBook sales? http://blogs.computerworld.com/ultrabooks/23325/are-chromebooks-killing-macbook

 

It is true that some older Chromebooks were junk. They're improving very fast. The Pixel has the best laptop screen in the world right now.

Chrome OS improves all of the time. Apps are improving all of the time. Since they're in the cloud every Chromebook owner always has the latest version of the apps. Several people have reported that their original Chromebook is now operating faster than it did when it was new. This is because the programs in the cloud improved.

 

Movie editing is now in the cloud. Presentation software is in the cloud. The number of apps is growing. Google might abandon Android because of patent issues with Oracle. Chrome OS is here to stay. All Google needs to do is make their programs as good as the Microsux Office suite and it is game over for Windoz. When that happens the Mac platform won't be far off from crashing either. Apple will then spend most of their time with iOS... in the cloud. The iOS is a worthy competitor and will surpass OS X someday.

post #91 of 110

wow!! Look at the brain on this dude ^

 

 

you are delusional at best if you think P00Ple and their craptastic apps will ever take down office or Mac.

android sucks, but not as much as the people who come here to defend it.

New for MS dorks - Microsoft sucks just as much as the losers that come to AI to defend it

Reply

android sucks, but not as much as the people who come here to defend it.

New for MS dorks - Microsoft sucks just as much as the losers that come to AI to defend it

Reply
post #92 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

Microsux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

Windoz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueDogRandy View Post

P00Ple
Really?

Come on people, we're better than this.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #93 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

Are Chromebooks killing MacBook sales? http://blogs.computerworld.com/ultrabooks/23325/are-chromebooks-killing-macbook

It is true that some older Chromebooks were junk. They're improving very fast. The Pixel has the best laptop screen in the world right now.
Chrome OS improves all of the time. Apps are improving all of the time. Since they're in the cloud every Chromebook owner always has the latest version of the apps. Several people have reported that their original Chromebook is now operating faster than it did when it was new. This is because the programs in the cloud improved.

Movie editing is now in the cloud. Presentation software is in the cloud. The number of apps is growing. Google might abandon Android because of patent issues with Oracle. Chrome OS is here to stay. All Google needs to do is make their programs as good as the Microsux Office suite and it is game over for Windoz. When that happens the Mac platform won't be far off from crashing either. Apple will then spend most of their time with iOS... in the cloud. The iOS is a worthy competitor and will surpass OS X someday.

The Cloud is great for storing my stuff but sucks for apps.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #94 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post




Really?

Come on people, we're better than this.

 

 C'mon man!!

you gotta admit - "P00Ple" was pretty good :) 

android sucks, but not as much as the people who come here to defend it.

New for MS dorks - Microsoft sucks just as much as the losers that come to AI to defend it

Reply

android sucks, but not as much as the people who come here to defend it.

New for MS dorks - Microsoft sucks just as much as the losers that come to AI to defend it

Reply
post #95 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post
 

Are Chromebooks killing MacBook sales? http://blogs.computerworld.com/ultrabooks/23325/are-chromebooks-killing-macbook

 

It is true that some older Chromebooks were junk. They're improving very fast. The Pixel has the best laptop screen in the world right now.

Chrome OS improves all of the time. Apps are improving all of the time. Since they're in the cloud every Chromebook owner always has the latest version of the apps. Several people have reported that their original Chromebook is now operating faster than it did when it was new. This is because the programs in the cloud improved.

 

Movie editing is now in the cloud. Presentation software is in the cloud. The number of apps is growing. Google might abandon Android because of patent issues with Oracle. Chrome OS is here to stay. All Google needs to do is make their programs as good as the Microsux Office suite and it is game over for Windoz. When that happens the Mac platform won't be far off from crashing either. Apple will then spend most of their time with iOS... in the cloud. The iOS is a worthy competitor and will surpass OS X someday.

The Pixel is the answer to a question no one asked, and chromebooks are much more of a threat to cheap Windows tablets and the Intel/Windows dominance than to Macbooks, what's the most popular brand of notebook on Google campuses?  Apple, hands down.  The Pixel is a proof of concept, and the other stuff is low end chum.

post #96 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoom View Post
 

The Pixel is the answer to a question no one asked, and chromebooks are much more of a threat to cheap Windows tablets and the Intel/Windows dominance than to Macbooks, what's the most popular brand of notebook on Google campuses?  Apple, hands down.  The Pixel is a proof of concept, and the other stuff is low end chum.


The high end market will never go away. It just might shrink a lot. Any laptop today is better than the computers used to guide astronauts to the moon. In time the lowliest netbook will have the features of today's Mac Book Pro. When that time comes what will we be needing such computers to do? What will we need a Mac Book Pro to do for us in 2025 that will require such super computing that can't be done on a Mac Book Pro of today? What type of movie editing will we be doing? There will come a time when consumer technology far exceeds the actual needs of the public. I don't anticipate making Pixar level movies in 2025 on my laptop.

 

When super computing is available to people via the web we won't need machines that are super powerful. All they'll need to do is connect to the internet and have a great video card and screen. The Pixel is a good proof of concept device that is for sale. It could be improved a bit with USB 3 and a lower price, but it is a great device. It is ahead of the curve.

 

You are right that Chromebooks are a bigger threat to Windoz. It makes me very happy to see Microsux is so threatened that they started the Scroogled campaign. I hate the lies they are telling but the fact that they spent so much money to fight Chrome OS makes me smile. Since Apple computers are a really small slice of the overall domestic computer sales pie they have less to lose in the big picture. Still they will lose sales as lower priced machines running Chrome OS improve.

 

Months ago I realized that I don't need a high end computer anymore. The low end is catching up to my needs. The most taxing thing I do is make simple video presentations for advertisements on the web. I'm not making major movies in 3D with animation. My computer usage is probably more toward the middle range of all computer users. Mid range machines can handle compositing green screen video today. Low end machines can do it but it takes a long time. Faster machines in the cloud can put together videos now better than mid range laptops. Since the computing is done in the cloud a low end machine can do the editing just fine. Right now there are apps in Chrome OS that allow people to edit simple videos in the cloud. They will get better as time goes on.

post #97 of 110
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post
People are already saying that the full size iPad is too heavy to hold for long.

 

 

And this means what to anyone? Particularly since “people” say the exact opposite.

 
The new iPad Air is better but it still won't be comfortable for many people.

 

Then cowboy up. If you can’t hold a pound, your whining has no meaning. Never mind that, again, you have no basis for these claims.

 
So do you somehow believe that Apple can make a 12.9" iPad as light as an iPad Mini?

 

Sure, five years after it’s first launched. Nice false premise, by the way.

 

It’ll be 1.5 pounds at launch. Big freaking whoop. If that’s too heavy for you, you don’t get it in the slightest.

 
That was just plain stupid of you to not think that a 12.9" tablet wouldn't be heavier than the current iPad.

 

Nice strawman.

 
A laptop with a touch screen is similar to a tablet with an external keyboard.

 

“Similar”, but not.

 
Apple makes one…

 

Uh…

 
A touch screen laptop would seem more functional than a tablet alone for the people who want to do typing.

 

It’s also a different product category for different uses and not comparable.

 
Why not buy a touch screen laptop like that when it costs half the price of a tablet without a keyboard?

 

Because, again, different category, different uses, and the concept itself is failed.

 
A heavy 12.9" tablet will need to be put onto a table or lap. 

 

Sure, but Apple won’t make a heavy tablet.

 
If the advantage of size is gone then why not just have a laptop?

 

The larger screen is the size advantage here.

 

See, there is a logical reason why people would select a touch screen laptop over a heavy 12.9" tablet.

 

They have an audition for Planet of The Apes coming up?

 

Add in the cheaper price with more storage and more RAM and include the keyboard for much less money and you've got a winner.
 

Yeah, you don’t get it at all.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #98 of 110
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post
People are already saying that the full size iPad is too heavy to hold for long.

 

 

And this means what to anyone? Particularly since “people” say the exact opposite.

Dude you need to read a lot more in the forums and pay attention.

 
The new iPad Air is better but it still won't be comfortable for many people.

 

Then cowboy up. If you can’t hold a pound, your whining has no meaning. Never mind that, again, you have no basis for these claims.

"Dude you need to read a lot more in the forums and pay attention." Men aren't the only ones who buy iPads.

 
So do you somehow believe that Apple can make a 12.9" iPad as light as an iPad Mini?

 

Sure, five years after it’s first launched. Nice false premise, by the way.

How is this false? Physics don't change because you love Apple.

 

It’ll be 1.5 pounds at launch. Big freaking whoop. If that’s too heavy for you, you don’t get it in the slightest.

Interesting how you slam others for making prognostications about what Apple will do yet here you are doing it. Hypocrite!

 
That was just plain stupid of you to not think that a 12.9" tablet wouldn't be heavier than the current iPad.

 

Nice strawman.

Sorry that if you can't figure out something, that somehow it makes it a strawman argument; but of course you didn't think that making something bigger also makes it heavier, unless of course Apple fills the device with helium or anti gravity particles.

 
A laptop with a touch screen is similar to a tablet with an external keyboard.

 

“Similar”, but not.

Look up the definition of similar.

 
Apple makes one…

 

Uh…

It's a Bluetooth keyboard: http://www.apple.com/ipad/accessories/

 

A touch screen laptop would seem more functional than a tablet alone for the people who want to do typing.

 

It’s also a different product category for different uses and not comparable.

Product categories are always morphing and evolving. If tablets alone were the be-all and end-all then why do the companies make attachable keyboards for them? It seems that many people want that functionality. While shopping I've read many testimonials and reviews of products. Many people have tried tablets and have found they prefer laptops. They did enjoy using the touch screen too. Put the two together and many people will love them. Read some reviews of such products and get the bigger picture. All laptops will eventually have this feature.

 
Why not buy a touch screen laptop like that when it costs half the price of a tablet without a keyboard?

 

Because, again, different category, different uses, and the concept itself is failed.

It hasn't failed. It is just taking off. The failure was when it was done with Windoz.

 
A heavy 12.9" tablet will need to be put onto a table or lap. 

 

Sure, but Apple won’t make a heavy tablet.

More prognostication from the hypocrite. Let me put this in the style you would when replying to others; how do you know what Apple is planning? Are you an engineer in their meetings?

 
If the advantage of size is gone then why not just have a laptop?

 

The larger screen is the size advantage here.

Yes. Many laptops are in the 13"-15" range. Thus giving them an advantage over a heavy 12.9" tablet with a separate keyboard.

 

See, there is a logical reason why people would select a touch screen laptop over a heavy 12.9" tablet.

 

They have an audition for Planet of The Apes coming up?

?

 

Add in the cheaper price with more storage and more RAM and include the keyboard for much less money and you've got a winner.
 

Yeah, you don’t get it at all.

 

Clearly it is you that don't get it. A heavy tablet sitting on a desk is less effective than a touch screen laptop sitting on a desk. If we were talking about something light that was to be held in ones hand, then yes, a laptop would be too difficult to handle and just not as functional.

 

I am making prognostications that make sense. A 12.9" tablet will be heavier than a 9.7" tablet. It will be too difficult to hold for long periods of time. It will have to be used on a lap or desk. A touch screen laptop in that size would be more useful than a tablet of the same size.

 

I'm sure many people thought poorly of the MacBook Air when it came out.  Especially at $1800. Now look at how capable it is compared to the original. Touch screen laptops will get better (maybe the Windoz versions won't). Chromebook touch screen laptops are getting great reviews. People love them. Read some reviews. Many prefer these to tablets because they come with keyboards and more features than a tablet alone. People get more bang for their buck. That always means something to people.

post #99 of 110
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

Dude you need to read a lot more in the forums and pay attention.

 

I read “The iPad Air is really light.” “The weight reduction is very noticeable.” “It’s much lighter than previous models.”

 
"Dude you need to read a lot more in the forums and pay attention." Men aren't the only ones who buy iPads.

 

And I claimed anything about gender where? One pound doesn’t let you complain.

 
 How is this false? Physics don't change because you love Apple.

 

A~nd nice strawman. Read. Context clues.

 
Interesting how you slam others for making prognostications about what Apple will do yet here you are doing it. Hypocrite!

 

Thing is, mine are based in not completely stupid nonsense. “It won’t work because it will be heavier because it will be too heavy” isn’t valid. We know for a fact that they won’t settle for an iPad heavier than 1.5 lbs. Therefore a larger iPad won’t weigh more than 1.5 lbs.

 
Sorry that if you can't figure out something, that somehow it makes it a strawman argument

 

So either you’re making crap up or you didn’t comprehend what was said. Pick one.

 

Look up the definition of similar.

 

And you’ll see how a touchscreen laptop isn’t a tablet replacement, right.

 
If tablets alone were the be-all and end-all then why do the companies make attachable keyboards for them?

 

Again with the false premise.

 

“If DVDs didn’t need rewinding, why do companies make DVD rewinders?”

 

It hasn't failed. It is just taking off.

 

Yeah, like the netbook.

 
how do you know what Apple is planning?

 

Because I’m not an idiot and can comprehend Apple’s philosophies? Because I’ve seen the products they have released? Because you yourself said it wouldn’t work, acknowledging the exact same thing that I said here

 

Yes. Many laptops are in the 13"-15" range. Thus giving them an advantage over a heavy 12.9" tablet with a separate keyboard.

 

See, that keyboard is on you. You’re the one inventing it.

 
?

 

Try using a vertical touchscreen for a half hour.

 
A heavy tablet sitting on a desk is less effective than a touch screen laptop sitting on a desk.

 

So maybe don’t use your tablet on a desk, then. Use it as a tablet should be used. Because it’s a tablet.

 

Simplest concept imaginable.

 
If we were talking about something light that was to be held in ones hand, then yes, a laptop would be too difficult to handle and just not as functional.

 

Hey, look; tablets!

 
I am making prognostications that make sense.

 

All righty; let’s test this.

 
A 12.9" tablet will be heavier than a 9.7" tablet.


Yep. That’s pretty much gonna be fact; plenty of evidence to support it.

 
It will be too difficult to hold for long periods of time.

 

Nope. Not fact, supposition, based on zero evidence. This is your hypothesis based on a nebulous view of the weight of said device. You’ve given no theories as to the weight, nor the basis for coming to your conclusion thereon. I, on the other hand, have not only given a specific weight, I’ve given reasons based in reproducible Apple product fact to support it.

 
It will have to be used on a lap or desk.

 

Ditto above.

 
A touch screen laptop in that size would be more useful than a tablet of the same size.

 

Ditto.

 
I'm sure many people thought poorly of the MacBook Air when it came out.  Especially at $1800. Now look at how capable it is compared to the original.
 

 

I’m not sure how this is part of your argument. The MacBook Air (iPad) looked at the existing market of netbooks (touchscreen laptops) and said, “Screw you, gramps.” Touchscreen laptops are the bellbottoms and afros of 1985.

 
(maybe the Windoz versions won't)

 

Yep. That’s pretty much gonna be fact; plenty of evidence to support it. :lol:

 
Chromebook… …come with… …more features than a tablet alone.

 

Um… :wow:

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #100 of 110

Sometimes the more I think about it. It does make sense. Apple doesn't want to rely everything on September. Now they have iPad, Mac Pro, Macbook ( Aligning with Intel Roadmap ) and iPhone. The problem is consumers only have so much to spend every year. Most of Apple's competitors tried ( or not ) to release a Phone with similar time frame and ALL failed. All the Air, gossip and topic were totally sucked out by Apple's Vacuum. Unless you decide to push very very hard in marketing, no one will realize you have a new phone

 

So most of them, especially Samsung picked out at Apple's weakest time to release their Galaxy Sx Phone. Which is in the middle of the release cycle. Any earlier they have to fight with Apple's momentum, any later they will have to fight harder with Apple's suspense and expectation. 

 

Now What Happen if Apple decide to pick a fight right where Samsung lunch their flagship Phone? Apple don't want to rely too much on a single iPhone model. And no one in the world has ever produce top quality smartphone in the quantity and speed that apple does, so i am not sure if Apple can continue to make a single phone world wide launch if sales continue to grow.

 

Having a Larger iPhone version right in the middle cycle should be enough to do the damage against Samsung. So basically a larger screen version of iPhone will always be 6 months behind the original iPhone.

post #101 of 110
Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Apple don't want to rely too much on a single iPhone model.

 

Even if we assume that’s true, that’s why they redid two of them.

Quote:
 …so i am not sure if Apple can continue to make a single phone world wide launch if sales continue to grow.

 

700,000,000 new iPhone users to tide them over for a while.

 

“Stopgap!”

 

Doubt it.

 
a larger screen version of iPhone will always be… …behind the original iPhone.

 

I can get behind that. ;)

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #102 of 110
Where did the 700M come from?
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #103 of 110
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post
Where did the 700M come from?


China Mobile subscribers, last I checked.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #104 of 110

Good idea.

post #105 of 110
Apple will get all of them, no doubt¡

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #106 of 110
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
Apple will get all of them, no doubt¡

 

Well, what’s Apple’s share of the other carriers in China? Assume similar numbers on China Mobile and boom.

 

I don’t think that many people quite comprehend what “700 million people” implies.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #107 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

I don’t think that many people quite comprehend what “700 million people” implies.

 

684MP*

 

(1KP = 1024 ppl)

post #108 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don’t think that many people quite comprehend what “700 million people” implies.
I'm pretty sure it doesn't mean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

700,000,000 new iPhone users

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #109 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueDogRandy View Post

wow!! Look at the brain on this dude ^


you are delusional at best if you think P00Ple and their craptastic apps will ever take down office or Mac.
Poople is worth 220 bil $, they can basically do whatever.
post #110 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post
 

What exactly has Samsung "stolen" from Apple?  People here claim how great there is competition in the market, then they suddenly claim no one else is allowed to make a phone that is a rectangle with a glass front.  Can't have it both ways.  There is something called basic functionality of a product.  All cars have the basic elements that make them cars.  Phones are the same.  Prior to the iPhone, all cellphones had a screen and buttons to operate.  They had a speaker and a mic and similar text-based operating systems that allowed you to dial and store contacts.  Some phones evolved and used an icon-based operating system before the iPhone.  Apple did not invent touch screens and they did not invent icon-driven operating systems.  Hardware manufacturers did not sue each other about what their phones looked like because it was the basic functionality of a phone.  Why hasn't Apple sued all hardware manufacturers that make a bar-style phone with a touchscreen?  Samsung isn't the only company.

 

Years later, it came out that Apple did not have a patent on the rubber-band effect when they demoed the iPhone in 2007.  Can't claim a patent after you showed it to the public without a patent.

 

In the 90s, it was hatred for Microsoft.  Then Microsoft saved Apple with the $150M investment in 1997 when other companies wanted to buy Apple and eliminate them.  Microsoft continued their own path and made their own business decisions that had an effect on their brand-popularity.  People will choose Android phones because that is their preference.  People are not confused about phones and they do not believe a Samsung phone is an iPhone.  If you favor competition in the market, let them make their phones.  People will choose based on what they want to use, not choose by confusion.  Samsung makes good products.  I have no problem buying their TVs or SSD drives for my MacBook Pro.  Apple offered no alternatives except for build to order (MacBook Pros prior to retina models) and their SSD prices were, and are still a joke.  Samsung's SSDs are top-rated in the market.  Why would I choose another brand?  Would I buy their phone?  No, because I don't want to use the Android system.  It has nothing to do with hating Samsung or thinking they stole from Apple.

You need to do a little research on IP Patent infringement.  Samsung has many violations against Apples Patented IP and has lost a billion dollars in court judgements.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple to debut larger iPhone in May, 12.9-inch iPad in October