or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Evasi0n iOS 7 jailbreak funding supplied by Chinese app piracy site
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Evasi0n iOS 7 jailbreak funding supplied by Chinese app piracy site

post #1 of 130
Thread Starter 
Taig, a Chinese company that kicked in a reported $1 million to help Evasi0n develop a jailbreak to exploit and defeat Apple's app security model in iOS 7, has been revealed as significant source of pirated apps in violation of its contract.



In exchange for funding, Evasi0n agreed to bundle Taig's app service for Chinese users as an alternative to Cydia.

However, a report by Chris Ziegler of The Verge noted that Taig "threatened the legitimacy of the entire [Evasi0n] operation after pirated App Store apps were found in its catalog."

December 25, 2013


In an online statement to the "jailbreak community," Evasi0n wrote: "In the course of developing the iOS 7 jailbreak, we were approached by the company with an offer of partnership in offering Taig bundled with the jailbreak in China."

The group added, "Preventing piracy is also extremely important to us. We are deeply sorry and embarrassed about the piracy that was seen today. All of us have spoken out vehemently against piracy in the past. We don't believe its right for developers to not get paid for their work.

"In our agreement with Taig, we contractually bind them to not have piracy in their store. This was an extremely important precondition of working with them. In entering the agreement with them, we had hoped and continue to hope that our cooperation with Taig will improve the piracy situation in China [...]

"We are very upset that despite our agreement and review by their team, piracy was found in the store. It was not acceptable and they have been strenuously working to resolve the problem in good faith, and have removed all instances of it that we have brought to their attention."

Chinese pirates evade Evasi0n



Evasi0n first said it was working with Taig to get the pirated apps removed, noting that "Taig will be pulled from the jailbreak if it cannot be resolved."

However, the controversy surrounding Taig's unmanageable listings of pirated apps prompted Evasi0n to announce it would remove the Taig store. The group has since determined that "the depth of the transgression against the software developers and the jailbreak community cannot be overlooked and we could not move forward after that even if it were fixed."

Evasi0n described the rollout of the iOS 7 jailbreak as "extremely stressful" and the group said it needed "time to recover" before addressing remaining issues with the jailbreak package.

Jailbreak attempts are a cat and mouse game between hackers and Apple, with jailbreakers seeking to find new security vulnerabilities they can exploit while Apple seeks to close any holes that could be used to bypass iOS app security.

Ostensibly, iOS jailbreaks are intended to allow users to tweak and customize their iOS devices, although in reality one of the primary functions of jailbreaking devices is to enable users to obtain and install developers' App Store titles without paying anything.

After jailbreaking, an iOS device stops enforcing app signatures, effectively giving it the security profile and stability of an unlocked Android phone, and making it roughly as attractive to third party commercial developers.
post #2 of 130
If they give back the payment, their protestations will look less like crocodile tears.
post #3 of 130
Criminal and unethical behavior can be outlawed but it can never be stopped. Nothing Evaisi0n or Apple does will prevent it in the long run. I'm still glad they try.
post #4 of 130
Just a matter of time before Apple kills of jailbreaking once and for all.
Looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #5 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

If they give back the payment, their protestations will look less like crocodile tears.
While I don't support the jailbreak, they are within the rights to keep the money if there was a contractural agreement prohibiting pirated apps in Taig.
Edited by macaholic_1948 - 12/25/13 at 5:49pm
post #6 of 130
Quote:
in reality one of the primary functions of jailbreaking devices is to enable users to obtain and install developers' App Store titles without paying anything. 

 

Only it's not, since you've always been able to sideload pirated apps with software like iHelper without jailbreaking. The primary purpose of jailbreaking has, is, and will continue to be for the ability to install software that isn't available through the App Store. Apps like iBlacklist, that allow you to block unlisted/blocked calls, Winterboard for installing custom themes and icons, SBSettings for tweaking the looks and behavior of iOS such as hiding Apple default apps (stocks, Newstand.. looking right at you) that can't be deleted, and MyMod, which unlocks the cellular settings panel so people like me who get service from MVNO's such as Straight Talk can manually adjust certain settings so data and MMS work the way they should, and the way we pay for them to.

 

People who want to pirate are going to pirate. Jailbreaking has never been an obstacle to this, or even part of the equation. If you're going to comment on an issue, AI, you should probably make sure you're knowledgeable on it first.

post #7 of 130

So did the Evasi0n jailbreak also include a backdoor so Taig can compromise IOS systems so they can steal credit card info, logins, etc?  For $ 1,000,000 and a percentage of the money from stealing from IOS users, they can make a nice profit. 

 

Taig can say all they want, but they are primarily a reseller of cracked and stolen software, but then I guess that's what the jailbreakers are looking for in the first place and Evasi0n is just helping them get their stolen stuff.

 

Wonder if a creative attorney might sue the Evasi0n people for aiding and encouraging theft?

post #8 of 130
The fee should not be returned and does not have to be returned. According to what we read here, the evaders carried out what they agreed to do but Taig did not. Reasonable attempts to resolve the issue were unsuccessful. Taig has no basis for expecting a refund.
post #9 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Just a matter of time before Apple kills of jailbreaking once and for all.
Looking forward to it.

 

They said that after iPhone OS 3, iOS 4, 5, 6, and now 7. Every version has been jailbroken, and hopefully the trend will continue.

 

And why are you "looking forward" for that to change? If you aren't a fan of jailbreaking, don't do it. I'm not a fan of coffee, but that doesn't mean I look forward to all the coffee beans in the world disappearing.

post #10 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post
 

So did the Evasi0n jailbreak also include a backdoor so Taig can compromise IOS systems so they can steal credit card info, logins, etc?  For $ 1,000,000 and a percentage of the money from stealing from IOS users, they can make a nice profit. 

 

 

I certainly hope so. Nothing would make me laugh harder than to see jailbreakers get their data and credit card information stolen. Poetic justice.

post #11 of 130

As evasiOn7 1.0.1 is avialable w/o TaiG since yesterday I'm not sure what this article is about...

post #12 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post
 

 

Only it's not, since you've always been able to sideload pirated apps with software like iHelper without jailbreaking. The primary purpose of jailbreaking has, is, and will continue to be for the ability to install software that isn't available through the App Store.

 

Only it is. He said "one of the primary", not "the primary". Which is correct, that's what many people jailbreak for.

post #13 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post
 

 

They said that after iPhone OS 3, iOS 4, 5, 6, and now 7. Every version has been jailbroken, and hopefully the trend will continue.

 

And why are you "looking forward" for that to change? If you aren't a fan of jailbreaking, don't do it. I'm not a fan of coffee, but that doesn't mean I look forward to all the coffee beans in the world disappearing.

 

Because it's a security issue and muddies the platform. It's a bit like herd immunity, the effects of jailbreaking impact non-jailbreakers more than someone liking coffee around someone who doesn't.

 

You could just as well say, "why stop piracy? If you don't like it, don't do it". Or, to turn it around, "if you don't like a system designed with sandboxed security and locked to a single App Store, don't use it".

 

This isn't a law of the land, it's Apple's rules for their own system. I'd agree if someone was talking about removing the ability to side load apps on all computers, but we're not. Not even on all phones.

post #14 of 130
"Evasi0n described the rollout of the iOS 7 jailbreak as "extremely stressful" and the group said it needed "time to recover" before addressing remaining issues with the jailbreak package. "

Translation... We pushed the jailbreak out quickly before it was tested and need time for the pirate site's check to clear before we address the problems we caused.
post #15 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

Criminal and unethical behavior can be outlawed but it can never be stopped. Nothing Evaisi0n or Apple does will prevent it in the long run. I'm still glad they try.

 

Then again, if the right people in the PRC government are alerted, these criminals could end up in a prison for the rest of their lives.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #16 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPad View Post
 

 

Only it is. He said "one of the primary", not "the primary". Which is correct, that's what many people jailbreak for.

 

Only it's not, like I said. Jailbreaking has nothing to do with piracy, despite what Apple says. There's been a massive backlash to this JB because of the link to Chinese piracy, which the boys at Evasi0n faced and then reacted to by severing said link, because the JB community is strongly against piracy since it sends the wrong message to outsiders about jailbreaking in general.

 

Those who want to pirate will pirate, and they'll do so with software like iHelper, iLoadr, or iModSign... all of which work without Jailbreaking, so in what way shape or form is piracy a "primary" reason for jailbreaking? Purchasing an App from Cydia instead of Apple's own App Store isn't piracy. Period.

post #17 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Just a matter of time before Apple kills of jailbreaking once and for all.
Looking forward to it.


I'm definitely for jailbreaking but not for piracy. People should be able to do whatever they want with a device they own. They shouldn't steal apps or other programs and services.

post #18 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post
 

 

Only it's not, like I said. Jailbreaking has nothing to do with piracy, despite what Apple says.

 

How can you possibly state something so incomprehensibly wrong with a straight face?

 

True or False: Some people jailbreak in order to install pirated apps.

post #19 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPad View Post

Only it is. He said "one of the primary", not "the primary". Which is correct, that's what many people jailbreak for.

please quote the sources of your statistics supporting your statement "... that's what many people jailbreak for."
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
Reply
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
Reply
post #20 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post
 

 

I certainly hope so. Nothing would make me laugh harder than to see jailbreakers get their data and credit card information stolen. Poetic justice.

It would certainly be funny! Poetic justice for sure. And then they would try to blame Apple for the problems too.

post #21 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPad View Post
 

 

Because it's a security issue and muddies the platform. It's a bit like herd immunity, the effects of jailbreaking impact non-jailbreakers more than someone liking coffee around someone who doesn't.

 

You could just as well say, "why stop piracy? If you don't like it, don't do it". Or, to turn it around, "if you don't like a system designed with sandboxed security and locked to a single App Store, don't use it".

 

This isn't a law of the land, it's Apple's rules for their own system. I'd agree if someone was talking about removing the ability to side load apps on all computers, but we're not. Not even on all phones.

 

But that's the issue here: you don't need to jailbreak to sideload pirated apps anyway. You can already do so with the three different programs I mentioned above without jailbreaking. Does Jailbreaking make your device more vulnerable? Yes, but it's not like those vulnerabilities are contagious, and will affect non-jailbroken phones. Is it possible that hackers will somehow use the vulnerabilities discovered by the latest jailbreak to attack unjailbroken phones? Again, no. Jailbreaking is a multistep process that requires user action on both the iphone itself and the computer it is attached to during the process. It's not like you can open an email attachment and find your phone jailbroken two seconds later.

 

No, Jailbreaking does nothing to hurt those who choose not to JB. It does, however, hurt Apple's bottom line anytime someone like me chooses to purchase a perfectly functional app like iBlacklist from the Cydia app store instead of their own, thus cutting them out of the profit chain. If Apple really wants to end jailbreaking completely, they would address the reasons why people jailbreak in the first place, which I've mentioned above in other posts. Why shouldn't users be able to change the UI theme if they want to? What does loading custom icons hurt? Why shouldn't I be able to manually change Cellular network settings if I need/want to? Android and Windows Phone OS both allow this, and the world hasn't ended yet that I'm aware of. Why can't apps like iBlackList be officially supported? If you don't like the way they bypass your API's, CHANGE THE API'S, as long as the change isn't detrimental to other apps, which the majority of those found in the Cydia App store aren't. None of this is rocket science.

post #22 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post


please quote the sources of your statistics supporting your statement "... that's what many people jailbreak for."

 

That wasn't a numerical statement. Please don't ask for inappropriate evidence.

 

Here are the "primary" reasons to jailbreak:

 

1. Install apps that aren't in the App Store.

2. Install apps that _are_ in the App Store, without paying.

 

That covers it from the app side of things. You could also add "to customize your iOS device" (which is covered in item 1.), and "to be able to dink around in your Unix system", which is something that would most likely fall into spot 2 or 3.

 

And my ranking is just estimates based on observation. I have no stats. If you do, please share them. I'd prefer hard data to more subjective observation, but subjective observation is all we have.

 

But one thing that absolutely cannot be denied is that one of the things people jailbreak for is piracy. It happens. A lot.

post #23 of 130
They don't believe in piracy, but bundled their jailbreak with a pirate app? They are insulting everyone's intelligence.
post #24 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post
 

 

But that's the issue here: you don't need to jailbreak to sideload pirated apps anyway.

 

I don't know if this is true (if the other piracy helper apps just jailbreak behind the scenes to install an app or what), but it doesn't change the fact that many people do jailbreak in order to pirate.

 

Quote:
No, Jailbreaking does nothing to hurt those who choose not to JB. It does, however, hurt Apple's bottom line anytime someone like me chooses to purchase a perfectly functional app like iBlacklist from the Cydia app store instead of their own, thus cutting them out of the profit chain.

 

Tell that to all the people who leave poor reviews to apps because of their jailbreak hacks. Tell that to all the people who post for help on their iPhones, without noting their device is jailbroken. Tell that to all the developers who see their apps highly pirated.

 

Quote:

If Apple really wants to end jailbreaking completely, they would address the reasons why people jailbreak in the first place, which I've mentioned above in other posts.

 

That's not a logical statement, and highly simplistic. Apple has put a security system in place and also designed the OS to consistent across devices. This isn't an either-or scenario, they want both.

 

You don't want either. That's fine. Just please quit distorting reality in order to justify your actions. You have every right to jailbreak, and Apple has every right to try and stop you. As iOS currently stands, I prefer Apple's stance, not because I want to stop you from using your device as you want (and neither does Apple), but because I want the ecosystem to run as smoothly as it does.

 

If you want customization, go with Android.

 

Oh, but Android is a mess, right?...  Exactly

post #25 of 130

I see nothing wrong with jail breaking.  The user has to install it by themselves.  Doing that will void Apple warranty.  I see jail breaking will increase innovation as well as helping Apple sell products.  

post #26 of 130
Anyone else find it ironic that Evad3rs sells out to the pirate site Taig and then Taig pirates Evasi0n?
post #27 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post
 

 

Only it's not, since you've always been able to sideload pirated apps with software like iHelper without jailbreaking. The primary purpose of jailbreaking has, is, and will continue to be for the ability to install software that isn't available through the App Store. Apps like iBlacklist, that allow you to block unlisted/blocked calls, Winterboard for installing custom themes and icons, SBSettings for tweaking the looks and behavior of iOS such as hiding Apple default apps (stocks, Newstand.. looking right at you) that can't be deleted, and MyMod, which unlocks the cellular settings panel so people like me who get service from MVNO's such as Straight Talk can manually adjust certain settings so data and MMS work the way they should, and the way we pay for them to.

 

People who want to pirate are going to pirate. Jailbreaking has never been an obstacle to this, or even part of the equation. If you're going to comment on an issue, AI, you should probably make sure you're knowledgeable on it first.

 

Aren't you just Mr. Principles. :-)

 

I will say that the people that I've talked to that jailbreak their devices admittedly do so to obtain free apps that they otherwise would have to pay for. Sad, but that's the truth. People are cheap and will cut corners to save a buck any way they can. I'm not saying that's representative of everyone, but the jailbreak community is no better than the BitTorrent and former Napster communities. People feel entitled to anything digital because it's not something they can touch or hold, therefore has no real value.

post #28 of 130
Jailbreaking is as good as it is bad. Notification Center was practically invented by the jailbreak community, as was the App Store itself. Rotation lock, and many other features. I don't agree with them associating with scum but good luck to them if they made $1M I say. But that's just me.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #29 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPad View Post
 

 

Because it's a security issue and muddies the platform. It's a bit like herd immunity, the effects of jailbreaking impact non-jailbreakers more than someone liking coffee around someone who doesn't.

 

You could just as well say, "why stop piracy? If you don't like it, don't do it". Or, to turn it around, "if you don't like a system designed with sandboxed security and locked to a single App Store, don't use it".

 

This isn't a law of the land, it's Apple's rules for their own system. I'd agree if someone was talking about removing the ability to side load apps on all computers, but we're not. Not even on all phones.

Actually jail breaking has revealed many bugs in the ios software.

if it wasn't for the people who write the jailbreak software, finding bugs and exploting them, we might still have those bugs in ios.

 

i recall a time, I believe it was either ios 3 or ios4, where the jailbroken phones were more secure than the stock ones, because as soon as a bug was found, and used for the jailbreak ( I think that was the time of going to jailbreakme.com) there was an app that you could only install through cydia, that would patch the flaw. Only later on did the ios get update to patch that bug.

post #30 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post
 

I see nothing wrong with jail breaking.  The user has to install it by themselves.  Doing that will void Apple warranty.  I see jail breaking will increase innovation as well as helping Apple sell products.  

 

That's like saying that stealing gas will help to sell cars. haha

post #31 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPad View Post
 

 

How can you possibly state something so incomprehensibly wrong with a straight face?

 

True or False: Some people jailbreak in order to install pirated apps.

 

True or False: Some people buy iPhones in order to jailbreak them.

so do we also stop iphone sales?

post #32 of 130
"It's better to be a pirate than join the navy" Steven P Jobs
Ask me about.... The 80's!
Reply
Ask me about.... The 80's!
Reply
post #33 of 130

It's funny that for a lot of the people totally against jail breaking, are enjoying the fruits of the jailbreak developers now in ios7 

 

The fact remains that sometimes playing outside the limited boundaries set by apple, produces new apps/ideas and later on apple incorporates those into  ios

 

lockscreen notifications?

command center?

live clock icon?

 

all those started in the jailbreak world

post #34 of 130
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post
 

 

They said that after iPhone OS 3, iOS 4, 5, 6, and now 7. Every version has been jailbroken, and hopefully the trend will continue.

 

And why are you "looking forward" for that to change? If you aren't a fan of jailbreaking, don't do it. I'm not a fan of coffee, but that doesn't mean I look forward to all the coffee beans in the world disappearing.

 

Are you a fan of piracy?

 

Let's hear you defend piracy.  Go ahead.  We'll all wait.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #35 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

If they give back the payment, their protestations will look less like crocodile tears.

I'll say Evasi0n keeps the money, just to teach them a lesson. Chinese, no matter where they are, have almost no concept of paying for software. They will save months and months for a $700 phone, then balk on paying 99 cents for an apps. At the same time they have no problem with a $3 bubble tea.

post #36 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post
 

 

Are you a fan of piracy?

 

Let's hear you defend piracy.  Go ahead.  We'll all wait.

Jailbreaking =/= Piracy

 

To be fair, Jailbreaking just sets the stage like OS X. People can choose to pirate OS X apps or buy them. Jailbroken phone users can choose to pirate, which some do, or to not, which other don't. But just like OS X, jailbroken peeps can install things from outside the store which Apple may not always approve of, but are quite legal. 

post #37 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post
 

Jailbreaking =/= Piracy

 

To be fair, Jailbreaking just sets the stage like OS X. People can choose to pirate OS X apps or buy them. Jailbroken phone users can choose to pirate, which some do, or to not, which other don't. But just like OS X, jailbroken peeps can install things from outside the store which Apple may not always approve of, but are quite legal. 

 

"To be fair..."?  Oh please.

Do you think stealing software and media is fair, in any way, to the developers and artists who create it?

 

Because that's what piracy is.  It's stealing.  It's not "fair."

Sorry.  Your argument is pure sophistry.  There is no way to defend piracy / stealing.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #38 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post
 

 

"To be fair..."?  Oh please.

Do you think stealing software and media is fair, in any way, to the developers and artists who create it?

 

Because that's what piracy is.  It's stealing.  It's not "fair."

Sorry.  Your argument is pure sophistry.  There is no way to defend piracy / stealing.

 

To be fair refers not to piracy as being okay, but that there is a pretty big difference between piracy and jailbreaking... that's what the rest of the post was for.

post #39 of 130
Originally Posted by vaporland View Post
"It's better to be a pirate than join the navy" Steven P Jobs

 

“I was definitely talking about the theft of intellectual property when I said that. Totally. Like, no two ways about it.”

 

–Steven P. Jobs

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #40 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
 

 

True or False: Some people buy iPhones in order to jailbreak them.

so do we also stop iphone sales?

 

Don't think it went unnoticed that you didn't answer the question.

 

To answer your question, yes, some people do. That's not the question at hand. The question is whether piracy is part of why many people jailbreak.

 

And your logic doesn't even make any sense. Who is talking about stopping sales of iPhones?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Evasi0n iOS 7 jailbreak funding supplied by Chinese app piracy site