or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple kicks off '12 Days of Gifts' with Justin Timberlake single

Apple kicks off '12 Days of Gifts' with Justin Timberlake single

post #1 of 37
As planned, Apple on Thursday kicked off its "12 Days of Gifts" promotion in the U.S. and other participating countries with a download of four songs from Justin Timberlake's performance at this year's iTunes Festival.

12 Days

Timberlake's free single includes four songs performed live at the 2013 iTunes Festival in London and is being offered as part of Apple's holiday giveaway promotion, which is only accessible via the 12 Days of Gifts app found in select iOS App Stores.

The "12 Days" digital content giveaway has become somewhat of a tradition for many iTunes users, though the app was previously limited to Canada and a few major European countries. For 2013, Apple has extended the promo to U.S. customers for the first time, granting them access to freebies that in the past have included movies, music, e-books, apps and more.

Earlier in December, Apple gave away Lorde's latest single "No Better" as a preview for the 12 Days of Gifts app, labeling it as a "gift to get you started."

Apple's "12 Days of Gifts" program runs from Dec. 26 through Jan. 6, with each day bringing a free download that will be available for 24 hours. Some content may not be available in all areas.

12 Days of Gifts is a free 64.7MB download from the App Store.
post #2 of 37
This is really sub standard quality. I should have expected it.
post #3 of 37
Please tell me one of the single isn't I'm Bringing Santa Back.
Edited by SolipsismX - 12/25/13 at 11:17pm

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #4 of 37
Played previews. Didn't download the full songs.
post #5 of 37
Wow, really? You must be a lot of fun at parties.
post #6 of 37
This was free upon release, so thanks for the already free gift Apple.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #7 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

What's wrong with '12 Days of Regifts'?

post #8 of 37
Don't get greedy now. Free is free. Although if this was indeed free beforehand then it's kinda low since then Apple is using the term "gift" in a purely self-promotion, self-marketing fashion, and that would be a low-blow to loyal customers.
post #9 of 37

You couldn't pay me 99 cents to download these tracks.

I guess that 13 year old girls with not yet fully developed breasts are probably happy about this free download.

Hopefully something better and more useful will show up in the remaining days of this giveaway.

post #10 of 37
Hoping to download a new Mac Pro...
post #11 of 37
Only 11 more days of people bitching about free downloads...
post #12 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Hopefully something better and more useful will show up in the remaining days of this giveaway.

Practically anything will be better than these poor quality recordings.
post #13 of 37

Can also be found in OS X iTunes Store, search for "iTunes Festival"!

post #14 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Perhaps not free before in the US...as that is a first for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

You couldn't pay me 99 cents to download these tracks.

I guess that 13 year old girls with not yet fully developed breasts are probably happy about this free download.

Merry Christmas to you too, dr. Blank.
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
post #15 of 37
I suppose it is the thought that counts. But seriously, Justin Timberlake? Great way to alienate customers who aren't children or old women.
post #16 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What's wrong with '12 Days of Regifts'?

If he can "re-gift", you can "de-gift"!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #17 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPDiller View Post

I suppose it is the thought that counts. But seriously, Justin Timberlake? Great way to alienate customers who aren't children or old women.

What about old children?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #18 of 37
Disappointing first gift, didn't even download it.
post #19 of 37
Day two is a HD episode from a BBC documentry series Africa, called Kalahari.

That;s in Australia whee it is just after midnight.

The JT stuff was previously only free as a live stream in the iTunes Festival App/
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #20 of 37

Yeah, no kidding.  I was really hoping for a free d/l of "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" trilogy, in HD.  /s

post #21 of 37
They actually make all the gifts free in the iTunes Store on the 21st December (or whenever the last day before the iTunes connect holiday is). The app merely serves as a timer-based shortcut to the items in the store. Case in point, it's only 2:30 pm (Day 1) here in the UK and the Kalahari episode, due tomorrow, is already free to download.
post #22 of 37

I'd rather pay 99cents to see this offer never ever available again.

post #23 of 37
Please tell me one of the single isn't I'm Bringing Santa Back.

I'm bringing Santa back
Them other elves don't know how to act
I think it's special what's behind your back
So turn around and I'll pick up the sack
Take em’ to the sleigh! 

Santa Claus
You see these reindeer 
Hooked up to your sleigh 
They’ll let you whip them if they go too slow
It’s just that naughty makes me get this coal

Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post
I'd rather pay 99cents to see this offer never ever available again.

Yep, 11 days.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #24 of 37

I hope Jony didn't pick this album exposing his bad taste in music as well as UX design :D 

bb
bb
post #25 of 37
Why has Apple made such a simple program only available to users who have upgraded to iOS 7? I am still happily using iOS 6 (iOS 7 won't sync unless you have installed the latest iTunes 11, which I don't like), so this program is not available to people like me.
post #26 of 37
Originally Posted by dolphin0611 View Post
Why has Apple made such a simple program only available to users who have upgraded to iOS 7?

Because 80% of devices use iOS 7? Because they couldn’t care less about people who whine about getting used to new software? 

post #27 of 37
Gripe, gripe, gripe...

Keep in mind why Apple is doing this. They've not undergone a Scrooge-like conversion to Lots of Free Stuff for Everybody. They know that quite a few people got iPads, iPhones and iPod touches this Christmas. They want to introduce them, targeted group by targeted group, to Apple's lucrative ecosystem, particularly iTunes. December 26th may not be about your group, but your day will probably come.

--Michael W. Perry, Across Asia on a Bicycle
post #28 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Only 11 more days of people bitching about free downloads...

Exactly what I was thinking. What's that old saying? Oh, yeah I remember. Some people just aren't happy unless they're complaining.

post #29 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Yeah, no kidding.  I was really hoping for a free d/l of "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" trilogy, in HD.  /s

Apple had the HD trilogy earlier this year at $10.00 dollars per movie here in Canada. And yes, I bought them. Also, Apple has a lot of movies on right now for $10.00 CDN.

Edited by VisualZone - 12/26/13 at 9:38am
post #30 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin0611 View Post

Why has Apple made such a simple program only available to users who have upgraded to iOS 7? I am still happily using iOS 6 (iOS 7 won't sync unless you have installed the latest iTunes 11, which I don't like), so this program is not available to people like me.

I've said a few times already this Christmas season...YOU DON'T NEED THE APP!! Open iTunes and search for it.

post #31 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPDiller View Post

Judging by the iTunes charts, Apple are just playing to their core audience. Can't really blame them for trying to make the most people happy even if it isn't to your tastes.
post #32 of 37

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth but Justin Timberlake just ain't my cup of tea. Found these songs unlistenable with inferior sound quality and trashed 'em. 

post #33 of 37

Can't believe people grumble about FREE stuff.

What a spoiled nation we have become.

post #34 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth but Justin Timberlake just ain't my cup of tea. Found these songs unlistenable with inferior sound quality and trashed 'em. 

Not my cup of tea either, so didn't bother downloading them, 10 gifts to go, 10 chances that there will be something I like.

In Australia it's already day two, see earlier post.

post #35 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Judging by the iTunes charts, Apple are just playing to their core audience. Can't really blame them for trying to make the most people happy even if it isn't to your tastes.

Exactly.

We might not be the biggest JT fans in the world (though I do actually think he's a pretty decent actor), but it's ridiculous to argue that a free JT download won't make LOTS of people happy.  Right or wrong, the guy's very popular.

post #36 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

We might not be the biggest JT fans in the world (though I do actually think he's a pretty decent actor)...

I enjoy him when he's on SNL.

post #37 of 37
Quote:

I enjoy him when he's on SNL.

Definitely. :)

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple kicks off '12 Days of Gifts' with Justin Timberlake single