or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › IBM: iOS crushed Android in Christmas shopping with 5 times the sales

IBM: iOS crushed Android in Christmas shopping with 5 times the sales - Page 3

post #81 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by st88 View Post

I'm more interested in how companies will evolve their mobile hardware/software and how the market will react when a budget device is more than enough.

For example, in the 2nd half of 2014, Qualcomm will be releasing an efficient and low cost SoC, the Snapdragon 410.  This SoC uses 4x Cortex A53 cores (ARMv8 64-bit), an Adreno 306 GPU (OpenGL ES 3.0, full HD playback, 13MP camera support), and Qualcomm's global LTE chip. 

Same as the computer market I presume and it is not market share that ensure the survivability of a company but profits.

post #82 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The Moto G is trying to change that. It's a inexpensive phone that will get timely OS updates.

I hope it catches on. It's better for HW vendors, developers and customers if even low cost smartphones are indeed smart.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #83 of 124
@ rivie62. But most of these Chinese Android devices don't even have access to Google play and are not really comparable devices. Also if you compare Android's premium level phones like the Samsung Galaxy 4 (compared to the more successful Galaxy 3), perhaps Android is slipping compared to the iPhone 5s which reportedly Apple can barely keep up with the demand. Apple is growing in the US and Japan, so why not China?

I bet IOS share of web use and commerce grows even more in the US after this Christmas as lucky recipients received their new iPhones and iPads from Santa. This WAS an Apple Christmas and I bet half of those devices went to new users who will be added into the Eco system too. But 80% or 4/5 usage advantage for iOS even now? My oh my, what a fertile market and way forward for the App Store compared to the Android marketplace!.
post #84 of 124
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Quite recently you dodged the question (from myself and others) on whether you really needed an example that hardware development drives software development, since you seemed to be disputing that.  Perhaps you could summarize your primary point(s), as opposed to your interest, because having read this thread in its entirety, I cannot fathom what you are currently trying to argue. 

Let me try to make this clear:

1.  I believe the hardware for a budget device is reaching a point beyond the current common uses of a smartphone.

2.  Continuing to advance the hardware in this state will open opportunities for more complex software on mobile (stating the obvious).

3.  The more complex software currently available can be further developed, but will likely be used by less and less users as it starts to drift from the common.

4.  I have an in interest in what types of software and potential hardware changes will come once the point stated in #1 is reached.  The evolution what is considered 'common' use is of interest.

5. My example discussing portable music players reaching a peak in technology and being absorbed into mobile devices comes to mind.  Although current high end music players continue to advance (example Fiio X3), they are aiming at a smaller audience with a focus on the highest level of musical fidelity.

OK.

1.  If the current common uses are hardware limited, then that is a trivially obvious observation.

2.  Follows from (1).

3.  An assertion, and the one that was originally disputed based on the historical evidence that hardware advances have always driven new applications and uses.  We have seen this continuously even in the evolution of the smartphone.  Why would it mysteriously stop now?  This appears to be simply imagination failure on your part.

4.  Yes - we know that.

5.  Music players peaked and were then absorbed into more functional mobile devices (smartphones and tablets).  Are you asserting that this is about to happen to smartphones?

post #85 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yes! And we may be seeing the start of a disruption of what comprises a Personal Computer -- more specifically a Mac....

Let me be the first to show the prosumer variant of the Mac Pro...

The Mac Muff

I'm just waiting for the Mac Merkin.

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

post #86 of 124
Quote:

Quote:

Quite recently you dodged the question (from myself and others) on whether you really needed an example that hardware development drives software development, since you seemed to be disputing that.  Perhaps you could summarize your primary point(s), as opposed to your interest, because having read this thread in its entirety, I cannot fathom what you are currently trying to argue. 

Let me try to make this clear:

1.  I believe the hardware for a budget device is reaching a point beyond the current common uses of a smartphone.

2.  Continuing to advance the hardware in this state will open opportunities for more complex software on mobile (stating the obvious).

3.  The more complex software currently available can be further developed, but will likely be used by less and less users as it starts to drift from the common.

4.  I have an in interest in what types of software and potential hardware changes will come once the point stated in #1 is reached.  The evolution what is considered 'common' use is of interest.

5. My example discussing portable music players reaching a peak in technology and being absorbed into mobile devices comes to mind.  Although current high end music players continue to advance (example Fiio X3), they are aiming at a smaller audience with a focus on the highest level of musical fidelity.

The problem with your argument is that your first assumption / belief is wrong... And all else, based on that assumption, fails..

Future capability always exceeds/leads current use!
Edited by Dick Applebaum - 12/26/13 at 9:03pm
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #87 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by diplication View Post

Quote:

Yes! And we may be seeing the start of a disruption of what comprises a Personal Computer -- more specifically a Mac....

The Mac Muff

But what will you do with it?

post #88 of 124
In re current technology being "enough"... I have a question that I wish I had asked, when given the chance:

Mike Markkula financed Apple Computer. Mike made millions of $ with Fairchild, then Intel... Then retired...

Woz used a 6502 in the Apple I (and later Apple ][) because he couldn't afford the more expensive Intel chips (available at the time).

Why didn't Mike, with his money and connections, insist that Apple use the superior Intel chips?
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #89 of 124
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The Mac Muff

Warning: Do not use a Mac Muff while operating a motor vehicle... In fact, some States are considering laws that outlaw Muff-Driving...
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #90 of 124
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The Mac Muff

Warning: Do not use a Mac Muff while operating a motor vehicle... In fact, some States are considering laws that outlaw Muff-Driving...

Driving?

post #91 of 124
Quote:

Quote:

The Mac Muff

Old joke:

Three young boys are sitting on the stoop -- talking about what they want when they grow up...

Boy 1: I want to be rich enough to own a car like that black Cadillac over there...

Boy 2: I want to be rich enough to own a car like that white Cadillac over there...

Boy 3: I want to be covered with Hair... Covered with Hair all over...

Boys 1 & 2: What???

Boy 3, spreading his thumb and forefinger into a triangle: My sister has a patch of hair, this big... And she owns those 2 Cadillacs!
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #92 of 124
Quote:

The Moto G is trying to change that. It's a inexpensive phone that will get timely OS updates.

And it doesn't have LTE, it's for unwary, price sensitive consumers.

It's the equivalent of a phone netbook.

And the average consumer has no concept of timely updates, they don't care or understand.

post #93 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoom View Post

Quote:

And the average consumer has no concept of timely updates, they don't care or understand.

Yes...

And the owner, will always have this gnawing feeling of missing something -- though not knowing what or why...

It is settling for less than what you you want,,, and trying to justify it to yourself... As if you just aren't worthy...
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #94 of 124
Quote:

Quote:

I want to try to a address this [buying technology] if I can...

You ask me: "What whatever should I buy?"

I ask you what do you want/need to do?

We enter into a conversation -- You tell me & I ask leading questions...

I will recommend to you what and why:
  • You should do nothing
  • You should buy elsewhere
  • You should buy this from me *

* I can satisfy your current and future needs
I want you as a satisfied customer
I expect to use you as a referral as a "satisfied customer"

Regardless of your educated decision -- we both win!
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #95 of 124
Quote:

No everybody needs LTE, and with more and more people on the LTE network the speeds on 3G will be good enough. The iPhone didn't have LTE for quite some time and was it the a "netbook"?
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
post #96 of 124
Quote:

I want to try to a address this [buying technology] if I can...

You ask me: "What whatever should I buy?"

I ask you what do you want/need to do?

We enter into a conversation -- You tell me & I ask leading questions...

I will recommend to you what and why:
  • You should do nothing
  • You should buy elsewhere
  • You should buy this from me *

* I can satisfy your current and future needs
I want you as a satisfied customer
I expect to use you as a referral as a "satisfied customer"

Regardless of your educated decision -- we both win!

Hear hear. +1
post #97 of 124
Quote:

Beware of cheap. There's always a price. Always.

post #98 of 124
Quote:

How does not having LTE mean it's like a netbook? It's HSDPA is 21Mbps. It also has 802.11n WiFi, 1GB RAM, a 4.5" IPS LCD, BT 4.0. If any phone on the market looks like they took a cue from Apple to find a good balance of performance and capabilities for a specific price point I'd say it's the Moto G. Why not give them credit for saying "We can only afford to stick in an early generation LTE chipset for our price point so we're not going to do it to satisfy spec sheet shoppers at the risk of killing battery life"?

post #99 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

Quote:

Beware of cheap. There's always a price. Always.

QFT Price != cheap. != Value
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #100 of 124
Quote:

Clearly there is a reason why they can charge $300 less for a device that could easily sit between the 5C and 5S. 

And the resell value for Androids is...............

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

post #101 of 124
Quote:

I almost bought one for my 3 years old niece, love the color and ok could be a video player.

Then I look at the spec. Running on Android 4.2

WTF? New device just out of the door running a over 1 year old OS?

Don't tell me the future, show me now.
post #102 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's iOS devices also made up 32.6 percent of all overall mobile traffic, compared to just 14.8 percent for Android. Microsoft's Windows Phone, BlackBerry and other mobile platforms didn't represent enough activity to mention.

Something doesn't add up here. If iOS and Android made 50% of all module traffic, and Windows and BB didn't account for much, then which platform accounted for a staggering 50% ?

Windows PCs
Ask me about.... The 80's!
Ask me about.... The 80's!
post #103 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelchu View Post

I almost bought one for my 3 years old niece, love the color and ok could be a video player.

Then I look at the spec. Running on Android 4.2

WTF? New device just out of the door running a over 1 year old OS?

Don't tell me the future, show me now.

You read it wrong, the Moto G is running 4.4.2 which is the absolutely latest version of Android.
post #104 of 124
Quote:

You read it wrong, the Moto G is running 4.4.2 which is the absolutely latest version of Android.

I do wear glasses but I can read. That was what I read from the US site. Motorola UK site listed as 4.3 Jelly Bean - again it's a year old OS. Where I buy an iPhone from Apple even the 3 years old 4s come with the latest iOS 7.
post #105 of 124
Quote:

I do wear glasses but I can read. That was what I read from the US site. Motorola UK site listed as 4.3 Jelly Bean - again it's a year old OS. Where I buy an iPhone from Apple even the 3 years old 4s come with the latest iOS 7.

It might have 4.3 out of the box but it gets updated to 4.4.2 OTA, but even at 4.3 it stills bests all other devices in the price range that are running 2.3.
post #106 of 124
Don't tell me the future or the past. I want to know what is in the box now. Who cares it could fly me to Mars in 100 years time?

I open the box, they said is the lastest and greatest then give me the lastest and greatest.
post #107 of 124
Quote:

Even 4.3 isn't anywhere near a year old, released the end of July, so not even 6 months ago. iOS7 is nearly as old. If you read the specs as you say you did you would have seen this:
The sharpest 4.5" HD display in its class, all-day battery, quad-core speed, Android 4.3 with guaranteed upgrade...
http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers/moto-g/Moto-G/moto-g-pdp-ways-to-buy.html

Tho I'd question whether you had any intent on getting one in the first place the OS version should not have been any stumbling block. It never had 4.2 as you originally claimed it did and 4.4.2 is already rolling out to it as promised.
Edited by Gatorguy - 12/27/13 at 6:06am
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #108 of 124
Quote:

Don't tell me the future or the past. I want to know what is in the box now. Who cares it could fly me to Mars in 100 years time?

I open the box, they said is the lastest and greatest then give me the lastest and greatest.

So when Apple releases a OS update all the iPhones they have in stock magically get updated inside the box?
post #109 of 124
so the bottom line is... people with the more expensive devices have more money to spend.
post #110 of 124

Gartner: World-Wide Smartphone Sales (Thousands of Units)

Quarter Windows Mobile[27] RIM Symbian[28] iOS Android[29] Bada Windows Phone[30] Other Total Smartphones Total Phones
2013 Q3 [31]   4,401 458 30,330 205,023 633 8,912 475 250,232 455,642

Perhaps Apple has a better operating system at the moment as clearly demonstrated by the iPhone users online purchases with their devices.  Apple also had a better Graphical OS in 1990, but then that crazy guy Bill Gates released Windows 3.0 and every PC out there could run an inferior but capable Graphical OS.  And fast forward to today and Windows owns 97% of the PC marketplace.  Android is overwhelming Apple on every front, online mobile sales are just the next thing that Android will conquer.  Actually I'd love to have an iPhone, if they were about half the cost and had a bigger screen, but until then I'll stick with my Galaxy S II and I'll continue using my iPad 3, my Macintosh, my Windows 7 box, and my Roku.  All great tools.

Avid Mac Developer,  until Steve Jobs came back.

post #111 of 124
83% actually is even a little bit more than 6 times the 17% remaining percents ;-)
post #112 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Man View Post

The concept if 'free' reeks of charity, Marxism, foolishness or a underlying subsidy price model. Google and their followers were too damn lazy to build a mobile OS from scratch so they jumped on Linix for a free software ride. In fairness Linix/Androud do work well but it does sacrifice some software engineering originality of form and design.

Yes, but free is how to win hearts and minds of geeks everywhere. Google is infallible in their eyes.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #113 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivie62 View Post

Android is overwhelming Apple on every front, online mobile sales are just the next thing that Android will conquer.  

Except profit share, usage share (internet, apps, shopping, etc), US market Share, the minds of people. But yeah, every where.

Android already leads by a massive market Share worldwide. Why hasn't it caught up with Apple on usage share? Easy, a lot of Androids are used as feature phones.
post #114 of 124
Quote:

Gartner: World-Wide Smartphone Sales (Thousands of Units)

Quarter Windows Mobile[27] RIM Symbian[28] iOS Android[29] Bada Windows Phone[30] Other Total Smartphones Total Phones
2013 Q3 [31]   4,401 458 30,330 205,023 633 8,912 475 250,232 455,642

Perhaps Apple has a better operating system at the moment as clearly demonstrated by the iPhone users online purchases with their devices.  Apple also had a better Graphical OS in 1990, but then that crazy guy Bill Gates released Windows 3.0 and every PC out there could run an inferior but capable Graphical OS.  And fast forward to today and Windows owns 97% of the PC marketplace.  Android is overwhelming Apple on every front, online mobile sales are just the next thing that Android will conquer.  Actually I'd love to have an iPhone, if they were about half the cost and had a bigger screen, but until then I'll stick with my Galaxy S II and I'll continue using my iPad 3, my Macintosh, my Windows 7 box, and my Roku.  All great tools.

Avid Mac Developer,  until Steve Jobs came back.

You really can't cite a single historical event as if it were definite evidence of future events, no matter how much it may appear, by your limited analysis, to parallel the current situation. It's just lazy thinking. And in terms of Android overwhelming Apple, you only need to check reference [29] in your table to determine the extent of the fronts on which that is occurring.

post #115 of 124
Quote:

Think different!

post #116 of 124
"I know a lot of trolls that are going nowhere very fast"

Paulo Coelho

Please keep on being in denial, I enjoy watching this droid troll freak show. Looking forward to more idiotic math, mommy boy way pass their legal age still living with their parents and complaint a sub $1000 phone being expensive. And above all, haters trying to be hip and different, when you are just a clone without knowing it.
post #117 of 124
Quote:

"I know a lot of trolls that are going nowhere very fast"

Paulo Coelho

Please keep on being in denial, I enjoy watching this droid troll freak show. Looking forward to more idiotic math, mommy boy way pass their legal age still living with their parents and complaint a sub $1000 phone being expensive. And above all, haters trying to be hip and different, when you are just a clone without knowing it.

Going on and on about trolls makes you exactly that . Don't feed them and they'll die off.
post #118 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Something doesn't add up here. If iOS and Android made 50% of all module traffic, and Windows and BB didn't account for much, then which platform accounted for a staggering 50% ?

Your confused.  Mobile sales made up as the article says nearly 29% of online sales.  out of that 29% iOS took 83% and android took 4.6%.

The rest was split up between the other mobile os's. The rest of online sales were by computer which took up 71% of online sales.

post #119 of 124
Quote:

Whatever you do, avoid talking about how many more androids were sold world-wide during that same period as opposed to iOS devices.  Any guesses, 5 to 1, 10 to 1?  It's only a matter of time.  When there are 100 androids to every 1 iOS device, then everyone will wonder why we used iPad's at all?  Just like we do with iPod's now.  Reading the tea leaves is as easy as going to some chinese web site and looking up what kind of phablets are out there.  Apple is so far behind it is almost funny.

Keep living in that fantasy, most of those devices are usb dongles and dumb phones that have no functionality at all.

post #120 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi View Post

No surprise here! iPhone has cornered itself as an elite product with snobbish value. So, any gift giving season the sales of Apple products will spike up because of this factor. But in the long run and on a day to day basis this niche product is no match to the ever expanding (and equalizing) juggernaut of Android.

LOL Another troll fantasy.   Products Like the iPhone 5s that outsold samsungs pitiful GS4 two month sales in the first week?  Is that the niche product were talking about.  Oh and lets talk about tablets.  The iPad Air is the fastest selling tablet in history.  Thats the other niche product?

Then lets talk about profits shall we.  Apples products command 75% of product revenue for all mobile devices.  Hell the only one making money on the android side is Samsung, and they just announced poorer that expected earnings and warned there investors in there latest quarterly filing.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • IBM: iOS crushed Android in Christmas shopping with 5 times the sales
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › IBM: iOS crushed Android in Christmas shopping with 5 times the sales