or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Teardown of Apple's new Mac Pro reveals socketed, removable Intel CPU

Teardown of Apple's new Mac Pro reveals socketed, removable Intel CPU - Page 2

post #41 of 281

Hate to say I told you so, but I told you so!   I have been saying for weeks to all the naysayers saying that the cpu was soldered to the board that, Intel does not build a solder on version of the Xeon like they do for core I chips.  All current Xeons use and LGA 2011 socket.  Which means the mac pros cpu is replaceable.

Update:  Also note that there using a lidded cpu, with the heat spreader in place unlike the 2012 mac pros.   That makes upgrading even easier.

Edited by Mechanic - 12/27/13 at 6:07pm
post #42 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Not sure Intel makes a solderable version of any full-blown desktop/server CPU  

They don't.  Xeons all use a socket.  This series uses a LGA 2011 socket.

post #43 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I think some, if not most, would be better served by a user-upgradable SSD, but alas.

I wonder how much of a cheaper upgrade this CPU option will turn out to be.

Not very much, the E5 Xeons are horribly expensive.  The 8 core is $1723 and the 12 core is $2614. Thats wholesale price from Intel.  I have seen the 12 core on amazon for $3400.  Having said that though I am patient.  I watch cpu prices and just like the quad cores in my current mac pro were $1200 they dropped to about $200 when I bought mine and upgraded my current mac pro from a dual 2 core to a dual 4 core.

they will come down.

post #44 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Apple does not sell a 3.7Ghz MacPro (they only have 3.5, 3.0, and 2.7). Does anyone know why do these photos show a 3.7Ghz processors? Anyone?

The quad core is a 3.7 Ghz.  So apple does sell one.

post #45 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Does this mean I can buy the 3.5GHz 6-core model, then in a few years upgrade to 2.7GHz 12-core?

BTW, the photo shows a 3.7GHz cpu while Apple's website shows it as 3.5GHz. And the CPU is made in Costa Rica?!

http://blog.macsales.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/mp13_apart_sckt1.jpg

Edit: Added the image link

Apples website does show a 3.7 Ghz quad core

post #46 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I dunno. It's possible, but it seemed that getting OS X support on graphics cards that only required a firmware change was hard enough, do you think nVidia would not only do that, but go as far as making custom graphics boards too?

Apple is an OEM card maker for both nvidia and amd.  They make there own upgrades just like in the past for Mac pros.  Im sure if there is enough call for them they will bring out upgrades like in the past.  Im running an apple 5770 radeon upgrade in my current mac pro right now. But like was said be prepared for sticker shock and to have your wallet thinned substantially.  Remember you will be buying 2 cards.

post #47 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

For the same reason pickup trucks have only one truck bed. You can order a bigger truck bed, but it makes no sense to have more than one.

Since drive size is not unlimited, at a bare minimum an extra drive means doubling the internal storage capacity, possibly to the point of negating the need for high-speed outboard. That "makes sense" to me.

Also, since Pro Tools strongly discourages putting sessions on the system drive, having a second internal drive may mean being able to do a remote gig with just a li'l pocket drive for backups rather than having to lug around a big, heavy, noisy, power-hungry, high-speed outboard recording array.

post #48 of 281
I don't give a hoot whether the CPU is socketed... will it blend, is what I need to know!
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #49 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

User accessible means you can get to it easily without violating any covered screws or adhesive. It also means you could upgrade to a large PCIe flash-storage device with something from Apple. It doesn't have to mean you could upgrade to a third-party flash-storage device.

I'd think if you can change it for an Apple SSD there would be much to prevent a third party SSD. If there is something peculiar about Apple's version, someone, somewhere will offer a work around. Look at Trim Enabler for MBPs running non Apple SSDs as an example. However, even if that were true and I can only use an Apple SSD I would be fine with that, just so long as I can upgrade it. I selected the 256 TB simply on the basis that we will see SSD prices fall. Of course I want 1 TB but I can live with 256 TB in the short term. What configuration did you select?

I am thrilled to learn there is a possibility of updating the CPUs in the future too.
Edited by digitalclips - 12/27/13 at 8:53pm
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #50 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

Not very much, the E5 Xeons are horribly expensive.  The 8 core is $1723 and the 12 core is $2614. Thats wholesale price from Intel.  I have seen the 12 core on amazon for $3400.  Having said that though I am patient.  I watch cpu prices and just like the quad cores in my current mac pro were $1200 they dropped to about $200 when I bought mine and upgraded my current mac pro from a dual 2 core to a dual 4 core.
they will come down.

I think, RAM, GPU, storage and CPU upgrades are pretty nice options to have down the road when prices fall. That has always been the fun of owning Mac towers.
post #51 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

For the same reason pickup trucks have only one truck bed. You can order a bigger truck bed, but it makes no sense to have more than one.

Except it makes total sense to have more than one PCI-E SSD slot if it can fit in the existing chassis.

Given the existing SSD is put in front of one of the GPU boards and two two boards are the same GPUs I see no insurmountable reason why Apple couldn't have given users another slot in front of the other GPU.  Going from four internal drive bays (plus multiple internal PCI slots) to one internal SSD storage slot is by far the biggest limitation in the new design.

Yes the SSDs offer incredible performance unattainable by mechanical hard drives and the Thunderbolt 2 interface is very fast, but you can never have enough storage and one slot is going to force most people to have to get external storage to supplement the maximum of 1 TB currently offered.  An option for a second internal SSD and up to 2 TB internal storage would've gone a long way towards easing the transition from spinning storage to SSDs.

Is this Apple's attempt at building in some sort of upgrade path for a Mac Pro revision down the track?

post #52 of 281
Quote:

As for your delivery, I'd turn in early. Wouldn't want to be woken up by the delivery and having your wife complain you still haven't taken a shower at 3pm 1biggrin.gif.

Hehe ... when this thing arrives I will probably not be eating or sleeping for several days, let alone showering. I will grab a bottle of Scotch though ... 1biggrin.gif

The Mac is with UPS not FedEx, sadly. It will be late in the day I have no doubt. I always use FedEx if humanly possible, they are so much more reliable than UPS. My new TB Monitor arrived early with FedEx, UPS for some reason are delivering the Mac Pro and are late ...what a shock ... par for the course. 1oyvey.gif
post #53 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

2) It would be amazing to get over 2000 MBps but I wonder why they didn't do that if it's possible. To leave something for a future update? The technology wasn't ready for it? Cost? Other limitations that wouldn't have increased the performance to a point that would make it worthwhile?

Sure, they could've gone 'all the way' if the tech is there but of curse there would be a much needed reason to do so. If copying a 10GB file from the downloads folder to the desktop was 'basically instantaneous' it doesn't look like there isn't much need for anything faster than that.

Can't wait for Anand to post an in-depth review.

Here's a company that has created a 16-die NAND, which is a big deal as it currently is all 8-die, or so I've read:
http://hlnand.com/site/ID/120403
Quote:
3) I think we're at a point again, but this time with mobile devices, where performance of the system is hindered by storage. I wish they would do an "SSD on a chip" for their iDevices. Even just two stacked chips with a little controller could nearly double read/write performance, I'd think.

But then the limiting factor would be that old USB2 plug, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I selected the 256 TB simply on the basis that we will see SSD prices fall.

A SSD upgrade would've made the delivery into next year, which you didn't want.

Quote:
I was a bit frustrated to see shipping status change from “Dec 30” to “January” when I chose the 512GB or 1TB SSD options.

Source
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #54 of 281

This is interesting.  What does this tell us?

Mac Pro (Late 2013): Removing and installing flash storage - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6061?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

post #55 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by curveddesign.com View Post

Mac Pro (Late 2013): Removing and installing flash storage - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6061?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Just as I thought, user replaceable SSD. So the article is wrong. I cannot understand why the articles here so often have incorrect info.
post #56 of 281
Quote:

Not only do Apple allow SSD replacements, they even give you instructions.

But it might still be the case that it's a custom connector and you need to buy the (presumably bigger) replacement from Apple. But when I search the Apple Store for Mac Pro Upgrade there are no solid state drives for separate sale (yet) - except SSDs for the old Mac Pro.

post #57 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

Apple is an OEM card maker for both nvidia and amd.  They make there own upgrades just like in the past for Mac pros.  Im sure if there is enough call for them they will bring out upgrades like in the past.  Im running an apple 5770 radeon upgrade in my current mac pro right now. But like was said be prepared for sticker shock and to have your wallet thinned substantially.  Remember you will be buying 2 cards.

What I was replying to seemed to suggest a third party upgrade.

The designs for previous graphics cards sold by Apple looked the same as the PC versions, and yet there weren't very many such upgrades offered. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple mostly added their own flash to already made cards purchased from nVidia and AMD. The only visible difference seemed to be Apple branded packaging and instructions.
post #58 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrayven View Post

CPU and RAM upgradable.. SSD and Video upgradable if/when 3rd parties release products for the custom form-factor and release solid drivers / support.

I can TOTALLY see an nVidia 3rd party card being created, pushing their CUDA drivers. The GPU upgrades will likely cost a left nut.. but certainly and likely possible.

This system seems a lot more upgradable than everyone was making it. No large storage bays,.. so what.. most professionals goto external storage anyway. As long as we're going to see CPU, RAM, and eventually SSD and GPU upgrades... those are the 4 most important areas IMO..

I don't see Nvidia touching it as Apple determines the contract and most likely they've exclusively chosen AMD for it's HSA focus and marriage to OpenCL.

post #59 of 281
Quote:

Sure, they could've gone 'all the way' if the tech is there but of curse there would be a much needed reason to do so. If copying a 10GB file from the downloads folder to the desktop was 'basically instantaneous' it doesn't look like there isn't much need for anything faster than that.

Can't wait for Anand to post an in-depth review.

Here's a company that has created a 16-die NAND, which is a big deal as it currently is all 8-die, or so I've read:
http://hlnand.com/site/ID/120403
A SSD upgrade would've made the delivery into next year, which you didn't want.
Source

That's true about the delivery date, but I was comforted by the knowledge I could get the 256 GIG, upgrading with far cheaper parts fairly soon. If I'd been told categorically there was never going to be an upgrade path I'd have had some serious heart burn. By the way, i have only one, small gripe with the design, that of the single SSD connection. Dual would have been better and it's hard to see there would not have been room. A dual striped 1 TB drives would be sweet. I am fine with external for data but I like my apps and utilities on board and then some space for caches.

Daft as it sounds after the living with the last Mac Pro, I can see me using this beast as a semi portable. I have monitors in other rooms for MacBook Pros and to carry the nMP to a monitor, if I happen to want to do some work in another part of the house, seems eminently doable. I'd even take it on road trips with me. 1smoking.gif
post #60 of 281
Quote:

Thank you for clearing that up once and for all. It is as most of us understood. It is amazing that when i pointed out Apple had the words 'User Accessible' next to storage on their own web site I was told, in this thread, i should not read too much into that.
post #61 of 281
Quote:

Just as I thought, user replaceable SSD. So the article is wrong. I cannot understand why the articles here so often have incorrect info.

The internet is becoming the main source of all incorrect information! 1oyvey.gif
post #62 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Since drive size is not unlimited, at a bare minimum an extra drive means doubling the internal storage capacity, possibly to the point of negating the need for high-speed outboard. That "makes sense" to me.

Also, since Pro Tools strongly discourages putting sessions on the system drive, having a second internal drive may mean being able to do a remote gig with just a li'l pocket drive for backups rather than having to lug around a big, heavy, noisy, power-hungry, high-speed outboard recording array.

100% agree. This thing is a portable Cray for musicians, Twin 1 TB SSDs inside would be truly cool. I wonder if some bright spark could come up with an adapter if there is space. Granted it would not be usable for striping if coming off a shared connector I assume, but plenty fast enough for Logic Pro etc..
post #63 of 281
Quote:

Daft as it sounds after the living with the last Mac Pro, I can see me using this beast as a semi portable. I have monitors in other rooms for MacBook Pros and to carry the nMP to a monitor, if I happen to want to do some work in another part of the house, seems eminently doable. I'd even take it on road trips with me. 1smoking.gif

I'm guessing there will be a Pelican Case with custom foam for the new Mac Pro very soon.

Something akin to this (but MUCH smaller) 1smile.gif

post #64 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

I'm guessing there will be a Pelican Case with custom foam for the new Mac Pro very soon.

Something akin to this (but MUCH smaller) 1smile.gif

For sure. We also need a smaller, tough TB Monitor for road trips, perhaps a 17" would do.

BTW, My back hurts even looking at the old Mac Pro!
post #65 of 281
Quote:

The MP specs page says "user accessible" beside storage and has since the page went live.  The writer could have checked the promo page you would think.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #66 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I quoted that in this very thread, to be told I was reading too much into that. Some people just don't want to believe!
post #67 of 281
Intel changes their sockets every generation. The CPU being upgradeable will be limited to only that generation because Intel has the R&D to constantly change socket size and type. The only thing that is actually upgradeable will be the ram. The ram upgradability will be limited to the motherboard support.
post #68 of 281
Quote:

Lightning outputs to a USB-A connector for charging and data but the speed of the Lightning interface doesn't have to be limited to USB 2.0 speeds. Still, I think you can go about 2.5x the current NAND sustained writes speeds before you hit the USB 2.0 wall.

Quote:

Thank you for clearing that up once and for all. It is as most of us understood. It is amazing that when i pointed out Apple had the words 'User Accessible' next to storage on their own web site I was told, in this thread, i should not read too much into that.

That is what User Accessable means, but without any options on the market outside of Apple you're still buying from them. Hopefully it changes and hopefully the setup is the same as in the MBAs and MBPs but how long has it been without anything hitting the market?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #69 of 281
Quote:

That's true about the delivery date, but I was comforted by the knowledge I could get the 256 GIG, upgrading with far cheaper parts fairly soon. If I'd been told categorically there was never going to be an upgrade path I'd have had some serious heart burn. By the way, i have only one, small gripe with the design, that of the single SSD connection. Dual would have been better and it's hard to see there would not have been room. A dual striped 1 TB drives would be sweet. I am fine with external for data but I like my apps and utilities on board and then some space for caches.

I agree, if the GPU boards would allow for it a dual socket for the SSD would be very welcome. I must say though, I have a PCIe SSD and it’s 256GB. With OSX, stock apps, iWork, Aperture (100+ GB mnanaged lib), FCP, cough MS Office cough, Parallels with a 20GB Windows image, Garmin, couple of utilities and browsers, I still have 60GB available. And that’s after I put my 50GB ~ folder on there as well, save for the iTunes media folder. So you will have room for a FCP scratch disc, especially true if you’re doing HD and not 4k.
Quote:

Cool! Easier than the old solution for moving the 40lbs tower around:
edit: pipped by Michael Scrip with his CDP case
Edited by PhilBoogie - 12/28/13 at 9:32am
post #70 of 281
Quote:

The internet is becoming the main source of all incorrect information! 1oyvey.gif

Ain’t it the truth! Also, journalism died with the introduction of blogging.
post #71 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Quote:

Crying shame that the authors don’t check these things, though I have no experience with writing or reporting, perhaps it’s way more difficult than one would expect from looking at it 'face value’.
post #72 of 281
Quote:

Lightning outputs to a USB-A connector for charging and data but the speed of the Lightning interface doesn't have to be limited to USB 2.0 speeds. Still, I think you can go about 2.5x the current NAND sustained writes speeds before you hit the USB 2.0 wall.

2.5x; good to know. So around 480/2.5=192Mbps of theoretical throughput for the controller of iOS NAND? Is the speed of the lightening port known?
Quote:

That is what User Accessable means, but without any options on the market outside of Apple you're still buying from them. Hopefully it changes and hopefully the setup is the same as in the MBAs and MBPs but how long has it been without anything hitting the market?[/quote]

Indeed, the MBA came out in June. Still no SSD upgrades available AFAIK.
post #73 of 281
Quote:

640K ought to be enough for anybody.
- Bill Gates

That was an IBM guy, not Bill Gates.

If you think about upgrading the CPU: Apple only uses 130W max. TDP versions.

post #74 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalM View Post

Quote:

640K ought to be enough for anybody.

- Bill Gates
That was an IBM guy, not Bill Gates.

If you think about upgrading the CPU: Apple only uses 130W max. TDP versions.

Quoted so often I really thought it was him saying that. Looks like you're right, many articles point to this 'misquote'. Here's one:
https://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9101699/The_640K_quote_won_t_go_away_but_did_Gates_really_say_it_

And that article has this funny bit:
Quote:
Even so, Gates' alleged statement looks like one of the most dogmatic, short-sighted comments ever, a verbal blunder perhaps topped only by Digital Equipment Corp. founder Ken Olsen's 1977 quip, "There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home." (Olsen did actually say that, but he said later that the quote was taken out of context, and that he was referring not to PCs but to computers set up to control houses.)
post #75 of 281
Quote:

Is the speed of the lightening port known?

It's just a port so it can be whatever Apple can make it. it currently connects to some sort of USB 2.0 controller in the device so it can plug into Macs and PCs, but Apple could technically add a TB controller so it could be plugged into a Mac or PC with a TB port, however that seems unlikely for reasons I assume are size and cost. If NAND speeds get better and there is a USB 3.0 controller that works well with a small, power efficient mobile device I would expect Apple to include it.

post #76 of 281
Quote:

Quoted so often I really thought it was him saying that. Looks like you're right, many articles point to this 'misquote'. Here's one:
https://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9101699/The_640K_quote_won_t_go_away_but_did_Gates_really_say_it_

And that article has this funny bit:
Quote:
Even so, Gates' alleged statement looks like one of the most dogmatic, short-sighted comments ever, a verbal blunder perhaps topped only by Digital Equipment Corp. founder Ken Olsen's 1977 quip, "There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home." (Olsen did actually say that, but he said later that the quote was taken out of context, and that he was referring not to PCs but to computers set up to control houses.)

Even that is a shortsighted statement as home automation is happening and will continue, but on a broader stroke we all probably have at least dozens of computers in our homes that run appliances. Some very simple (like the fridge) and some fairly complex (like the cable/sat box) but we have them.

post #77 of 281
Quote:

Even that is a shortsighted statement as home automation is happening and will continue, but on a broader stroke we all probably have at least dozens of computers in our homes that run appliances. Some very simple (like the fridge) and some fairly complex (like the cable/sat box) but we have them.

Shortsighted being the operative word here.
post #78 of 281
Quote:

Crying shame that the authors don’t check these things, though I have no experience with writing or reporting, perhaps it’s way more difficult than one would expect from looking at it 'face value’.

The article was making the point that there's no 3rd party SSD for a user to replace the storage with. It's the same deal with the screen glue on the iMac. You can still technically open it but for all intents and purposes, the iMac is not user-accessible. While you can access the Mac Pro storage, without available upgrades, it's not user-serviceable.

I suspect some 3rd parties will buy machines from Apple or used ones to sell them in parts and this way make more money. If Apple moves the Mini to an SSD + HDD format, 3rd parties can buy the base Minis at $599 with the highest Apple options, pull out the SSD, put an HDD in the Mini and sell both separately. If there's enough demand for the parts, they'll make a reasonable enough markup.

There seems to be a move for a standard PCIe storage format:

http://www.nvmexpress.org/

If that takes off, I imagine that Apple will support it, if their one doesn't already. Samsung has a 1.6TB 3GB/s 2.5" model for enterprise use:

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20130717006185/en/Samsung-Develops-Industry%E2%80%99s-2.5-Inch-NVMe-SSD-Next-Generation

Having the CPU in a socket is the most cost-effective solution for Apple when the highest-end CPUs are over $2000. If a machine ever had a motherboard failure, pulling the CPU out is much easier. Plus the sales volumes are much lower so it doesn't make sense to have them already soldered to the boards. They can assemble them later on in the order process.

It doesn't look like future CPUs will be compatible as Haswell EP uses LGA 2011-3 while Ivy Bridge uses LGA 2011:

http://semiaccurate.com/2012/07/09/haswell-ep-to-use-the-same-socket-just-totally-different/

However, Broadwell will use the same socket as that one so you might be able to upgrade a 2014 Haswell Mac Pro with a 2015 Broadwell processor. Also, if you do buy an entry model, you can always upgrade to a higher-spec CPU with the same socket type when prices drop a bit. You might find that upgrading the whole machine is more cost-effective than switching the CPU alone though. If it costs $2k to upgrade an 8-core machine after 3 years and gets you to 10-core for the same price and is overall 2x as fast as the old one, it's not worthwhile paying say $1k for a 12-core CPU to get 1.5x when the new one has the warranty and new GPUs.
post #79 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The article was making the point that there's no 3rd party SSD for a user to replace the storage with. It's the same deal with the screen glue on the iMac. You can still technically open it but for all intents and purposes, the iMac is not user-accessible. While you can access the Mac Pro storage, without available upgrades, it's not user-serviceable.

Not having 3rd-party options makes the notion of being user-accessable/user-serviveable somewhat pointless but it's the option still exists and if for some reason you had access to a larger SSD from a different Mac Pro any of us here wouldn't think twice about being able to swap the SSD, but we would give it plenty of consideration if we were going to change the RAM on the 21" IMac because access to the RAM isn't user-serviceable.
Edited by SolipsismX - 12/28/13 at 10:11am

post #80 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Quote:

The article was making the point that there's no 3rd party SSD for a user to replace the storage with.

Ah, ok. I read 'user-replaceable components appear to end there' and thought that was incorrect after curveddesign.com posted a link to this:

edit: corrected the user-replaceable components appear to end there part
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Teardown of Apple's new Mac Pro reveals socketed, removable Intel CPU