or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Editorial: 2013 was a terrible year for both Apple's competitors and its media critics
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Editorial: 2013 was a terrible year for both Apple's competitors and its media critics - Page 2

post #41 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Apple made money for content providers, musicians, App developers, accessory makers, advertisers, oh, and lots of component suppliers.

Apple also made money for Google and Microsoft.

Really? Did Apple create all that content for others to sell? No. They only provided the platform for content creators and service providers to make money for themselves in which Apple takes a cut.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #42 of 257
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
Really? Did Apple create all that content for others to sell? No. They only provided the platform for content creators and service providers to make money for themselves in which Apple takes a cut.

 

Yeah, see, he said for, not from.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #43 of 257
1oyvey.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Surely, you can't be serious? The editorial was commenting on mobile devices.

And I will call you "Shirley".
Who cares what kind of a year Google had with "mobile devices" when that's not where they make their money?

OT, I hope 2014 brings us a version of iOS that includes a Safari app that doesn't constantly crash.
post #44 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

1oyvey.gif
Who cares what kind of a year Google had with "mobile devices" when that's not where they make their money?

OT, I hope 2014 brings us a version of iOS that includes a Safari app that doesn't constantly crash.

Shirley, did you even read the article?

Is it Safari's fault it the web pages' ?
post #45 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, see, he said for, not from.

Apple did not make money for them they made it for themselves. Did Apple make the apps for others to sell, or the music for musicians to sell, or the algorithm for Google to provide searches? No these people created something sold it on Apple's platform in which Apple takes a cut. They’re making Apple money not vice versa.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #46 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

1oyvey.gif
Who cares what kind of a year Google had with "mobile devices" when that's not where they make their money?

OT, I hope 2014 brings us a version of iOS that includes a Safari app that doesn't constantly crash.

When multiple web pages crash and the common denominator is Safari then Safari will get the blame.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #47 of 257
Congrats on a brilliant, factual and comprehensive take-down of the lies and deceit that pass for analysis and journalism when it comes to coverage of Apple. And this is in addition to the 24/7 FUD machine that churns out a steady stream of Apple doomsday scenarios. CNN.com is a prime FUD offender, and has yet to encounter a piece of positve Apple news that it couldn't put a negative spin on. Consider the CNN story that greeted the signing of the China Mobile deal: "Apple Still Has a China Problem."

Unfortunately, your article will make no difference because, as you correctly point out that, there is no penalty for even the most outrageously wrong negative forecasts about Apple. The same publications, websites and authors simply reload with a fresh batch of newly concocted BS, then fire it out into the world to see what sticks. Although it defies all logic, being wildly wrong about Apple doesn't seem to ding their credibility in the least.
post #48 of 257
This is pretty much a dis to all Apple haters. And I really liked this article,✌️😜👏👏👌👌😅
Edited by ismael - 2/16/14 at 2:27pm
post #49 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


Is it Safari's fault it the web pages' ?

I hope that's not a serious question. Safari frequently crashes on the iPad Air. And I'm being being kind to Apple when I use the word frequently.
post #50 of 257

These articles are the worst type of tripe - anyone calling Google or Samsung's 2013 as failures instantly loses all credibility, as much as those who talk about Apple's demise. You should be able to talk objectively about performance without turning into a circle jerk.

 

Google's core business is obviously doing tremendously and their ability to monetize their users through advertising is ridiculous (2 to 3X times anyone else). Their Android strategy does seem haphazard at the moment, though they seem content enough to cast the widest net they can, even if it's on low end devices.

 

Samsung had a tremendously profitable year, closing the gap in profits to Apple in a way that was unfathomable 2 years ago. The S4 was a disappointment, though the Note 3 was excellent. The Q1 2014 release of the S5 along with a slew of new tablets should provide some guidance on how they will execute next year.  They get about a half year of sole attention until the next major update to an iOS device.

 

Apple was Apple in that they innovated and executed tremendously in 2013 in their existing product segments. The biggest what if of 2013 is their lack of a larger screen device. Regardless of whether *you* want one, there clearly is enormous demand for a device and it's fair to think how much money they left on the table. They're in good shape, though it's unfortunate there isn't going to be much new in iOS until the summer.

 

<edit> The one ongoing concern with Apple is that their profit shrunk y/o/y compared to 2012 which is never a good thing, though it's balanced out by how ridiculous their profits still are. Still - Apple, like every other company out there wants to grow profit y/o/y and it's to be seen whether Apple get fix this in 2014.

post #51 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Shirley, did you even read the article?
Yep, but I'm still trying to understand how Google had a terrible 2013. This article certainly didn't convince me. And Wall Street certainly didn't think Google had a terrible year as their stock was way up this year.
post #52 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevliu1980 View Post

These articles are the worst type of tripe - anyone calling Google or Samsung's 2013 as failures instantly loses all credibility, as much as those who talk about Apple's demise. You should be able to talk objectively about performance without turning into a circle jerk.

Google's core business is obviously doing tremendously and their ability to monetize their users through advertising is ridiculous (2 to 3X times anyone else). Their Android strategy does seem haphazard at the moment, though they seem content enough to cast the widest net they can, even if it's on low end devices.

Samsung had a tremendously profitable year, closing the gap in profits to Apple in a way that was unfathomable 2 years ago. The S4 was a disappointment, though the Note 3 was excellent. The Q1 2014 release of the S5 along with a slew of new tablets should provide some guidance on how they will execute next year.  They get about a half year of sole attention until the next major update to an iOS device.

Apple was Apple in that they innovated and executed tremendously in 2013 in their existing product segments. The biggest what if of 2013 is their lack of a larger screen device. Regardless of whether *you* want one, there clearly is enormous demand for a device and it's fair to think how much money they left on the table. They're in good shape, though it's unfortunate there isn't going to be much new in iOS until the summer.
Nice counter point, though I hope you're wrong about iOS. If nothing else Apple needs to release 7.1 to fix bugs, especially with Safari. Constant crashes and reloading of tabs is annoying to say the least and doesn't seem to fit Jony Ive's ethos about making the best possible products they can.
post #53 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Apple did not make money for them they made it for themselves. Did Apple make the apps for others to sell, or the music for musicians to sell, or the algorithm for Google to provide searches? No these people created something sold it on Apple's platform in which Apple takes a cut. They’re making Apple money not vice versa.

"Sold it in Apple's platform" says it all. If no Apple platform, they won't be selling anything.
post #54 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I hope that's not a serious question. Safari frequently crashes on the iPad Air. And I'm being being kind to Apple when I use the word frequently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Nice counter point, though I hope you're wrong about iOS. If nothing else Apple needs to release 7.1 to fix bugs, especially with Safari. Constant crashes and reloading of tabs is annoying to say the least and doesn't seem to fit Jony Ive's ethos about making the best possible products they can.

No crashing issues with Safari on the ten devices in our household.
post #55 of 257
i believe that the xbox was actually very popular and microsoft made a tonne of money off of it.
post #56 of 257
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
Apple did not make money for them they made it for themselves. They’re making Apple money not vice versa.

 

So the phrase “70/30” means nothing to you.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #57 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Apple did not make money for them they made it for themselves. They’re making Apple money not vice versa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So the phrase “70/30” means nothing to you.

Exactly!

Apple takes 30 cents for every dollar... because they are providing the infrastructure. The hosting, bandwidth, payment processing, etc.

I don't know why people translate that into Apple taking all the money from developers.
post #58 of 257
ONNOVATION

EXECRABLE ANALYSTS
post #59 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

"Sold it in Apple's platform" says it all. If no Apple platform, they won't be selling anything.

Do you not think they'd find another platform to sell there wares on if Apple's didn’t exist?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #60 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So the phrase “70/30” means nothing to you.

Yes Apple takes 30% of what another party created and sold on Apple's platform hence they made Apple money. Apple wouldn't have made that 30% if someone didn't create the content/app/service.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #61 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post


Exactly!

Apple takes 30 cents for every dollar... because they are providing the infrastructure. The hosting, bandwidth, payment processing, etc.

I don't know why people translate that into Apple taking all the money from developers.

Nobody ever said Apple takes all the money. Apple doesn't pay developers, they make money on their own of which Apple takes a cut for the reasons you gave.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #62 of 257
When I read these double-plus ungood reports from industry analysts I'm always reminded of the slogans from George Orwell's dystopian novel Nineteen Eighty-Four: "WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, and IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH."
post #63 of 257
To me, the crucial TURNING POINT and needed LIFT in Apple's 2013 potential fortunes was the occasion of Samsung's rather inappropriate Broadway Extravaganza Introduction of its new Galaxy S4. ALL eyes were on this launch and this latest Samsung product ended up drooping rather than soaring (especially in the shadow of the preceding S3 which had been beginning to encroach into Apple's rarified territory), as the most innovative, highest quality, buzzed-about handset. Later, the disappointment and widespread panning of Samsung's Gear only added fuel to the fire to the perception that Samsung was fumbling the ball, rather than seizing its golden moment. Subsequently, with Apple's brilliant Developers' Conference Keynote and the solid staging of its rollout of its (truly useful) feature-laden iPhone 5S and iPad updates jettisoned Apple far ahead with, as one example, its amazing first-weekend 9-million sales of the new iPhones.

Thank you, Tim Cook, for keeping your sanity in this minefield of shock-headlines tech punditry and hopelessly confused fraternity of investment analysts, for adroitly leading and keeping the Apple team together, for getting the China Mobile deal done, and for bringing Angela Arendts on board to expand retail into China next year. Thank you, Apple Board for realizing Tim has one of the toughest jobs in corporate America, and for lending him all of your support and encouragement. Thank you DED as always for your thoughtful diligence, perspective, and faith. Thank you, all investors, for hanging in there until hopefully, some day soon, sanity to the market and Apple's rich mindset returns again. Let us hope that in 2014, the market will learn to differentiate the fact that market share numbers are not the be-all and end-all as there are many disparate types of operating systems, use cases, and levels of quality and usefulness in devices variously sold around the world.

Happy New Year!
post #64 of 257
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
Yes Apple takes 30% of what another party created and sold

 

See, that doesn’t matter. It wasn’t the argument.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #65 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

See, that doesn’t matter. It wasn’t the argument.

It's my argument so yes it is. Nobody asked you anything, you decided to chime in so please keep up.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #66 of 257
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
Its my argument

 

Nah.

 

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post
Apple made money for content providers
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
Really? Did Apple create all that content for others to sell? No.
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, see, he said for, not from.

 

There was never an argument to make. No one ever said anything against it. Or maybe you meant:

 

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
Apple did not make money for them
 

Which is explicitly false, anyway. And the vice versa, which you also claimed. As is your theory (which is nothing more than one, mind) that:

 
Apple wouldn't have made that 30% if someone didn't create the content/app/service.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #67 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

"Sold it in Apple's platform" says it all. If no Apple platform, they won't be selling anything.

Do you not think they'd find another platform to sell there wares on if Apple's didn’t exist?

No.
post #68 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Really? Did Google create all those ads they served? No. They only provided the platform for advertisers to make money for themselves in which Google takes a cut.
Fixed it for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Do you not think they'd find another platform to sell there wares on if Apple's didn’t exist?
Pray tell which platform would that be? Nobody is even close to Apple for revenue generated by, well, anything. Moving from Apple would be like taking your goods out of Walmart and selling them through local dollar stores.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #69 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I hope that's not a serious question. Safari frequently crashes on the iPad Air. And I'm being being kind to Apple when I use the word frequently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Nice counter point, though I hope you're wrong about iOS. If nothing else Apple needs to release 7.1 to fix bugs, especially with Safari. Constant crashes and reloading of tabs is annoying to say the least and doesn't seem to fit Jony Ive's ethos about making the best possible products they can.

No crashing issues with Safari on the ten devices in our household.

Safari on the iPad air sucks. Almost as badly as the AI site. Period.
post #70 of 257

Another questionable aspect about Samsung's "marketing" budget (which of course is running 4 times that of Apple's), is that some of this budged goes to commissions or "spiffs" to the employee-salespeople at stores like Best Buy or Verizon Mobile in consideration for selling SAMSUNG or other makers' devices.  By contrast Apple does NOT pay commissions.  And this fact is not revealed to the unwary shopper who probably assumes she is getting an unbiased product demonstration.  This no doubt hurts Apple's sales as the playing field is not really level at the third-party retail level.  

post #71 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Developers wouldn't have made that 70% if Apple didn't create the ecosystem of devices, developer tools and storefront.

Fixed another one for you.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #72 of 257

Critics had Apple wrong in 2013 and most likely will get it wrong for 2014. Without having knowledge of Apples internal operation and strategy any Analyst putting out info and predictions are purely guesses at best. Its time the market players and public start to realize this. Apple has to be tight on security of their upcoming products  and features and theres really no way to know what they're up to. A perfect example would be the iTV which for two years now has been touted as the next big thing but never came to be  so far

Apple is unique in its category ! Don't bet against them.

post #73 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by revenant View Post

i believe that the xbox was actually very popular and microsoft made a tonne of money off of it.

 

They also lost a ton of money on it for the first few years and dug a multibillion dollar hole in the ground that they are only starting to come out of.  Yes they sold a lot of consoles.  But they also replaced a lot of them for free.  Failure rates of at least 30% were being whispered about Xbox 360.  30%!  Yikes!

post #74 of 257
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Failure rates of at least 30% were being whispered about Xbox 360.  30%!  Yikes!


Is that over the lifetime of all revisions of all models? First-gen had at least 60% failure.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #75 of 257

Wall Street and the rest of the tech industry wants Apple to just go away and die.  Apple has taken too much money from the rest of the mobile industry and it's too much for the industry leaders to put up with.  They just have to try and discredit Apple for everything.  They want to make Apple look as incompetent as possible.  It's always Apple that is struggling the hardest and making the worst decisions about everything while things run smoothly for every other tech company.  You'll never hear about Amazon having Kindle shortages or Hewlett-Packard having supply problems.  Of all the tech companies on the planet, Apple is the main company that is doomed to failure.

 

Even the China Mobile deal is considered a waste of time for Apple because supposedly the Chinese consumer can't afford to buy iPhones.  The company that charges the most for its products is always going to be the biggest loser and that is always Apple.  There are hundreds of models of Android and Windows Phones that likely have at least some problems but if there is just one small problem with the iPhone, Apple is going to have to run a gauntlet of bad press and pundits yelling that Apple is doomed because Steve Jobs died and all of Apple's innovation died with him.  If it's such common knowledge that Apple is doomed they should just let the company die in peace instead of constantly trying to beat the company with a club at every chance.  Apple's share price is already in the toilet but Wall Street is going to beat it down as far as possible because they're absolutely certain Apple has no future revenue growth.  It's just a given that Apple will fail.

post #76 of 257
Reading this feels as good as a warm blanket. Nice work, AI (as usual).
post #77 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Wall Street and the rest of the tech industry wants Apple to just go away and die.  Apple has taken too much money from the rest of the mobile industry and it's too much for the industry leaders to put up with.  They just have to try and discredit Apple for everything.  They want to make Apple look as incompetent as possible.  It's always Apple that is struggling the hardest and making the worst decisions about everything while things run smoothly for every other tech company.  You'll never hear about Amazon having Kindle shortages or Hewlett-Packard having supply problems.  Of all the tech companies on the planet, Apple is the main company that is doomed to failure.

Even the China Mobile deal is considered a waste of time for Apple because supposedly the Chinese consumer can't afford to buy iPhones.  The company that charges the most for its products is always going to be the biggest loser and that is always Apple.  There are hundreds of models of Android and Windows Phones that likely have at least some problems but if there is just one small problem with the iPhone, Apple is going to have to run a gauntlet of bad press and pundits yelling that Apple is doomed because Steve Jobs died and all of Apple's innovation died with him.  If it's such common knowledge that Apple is doomed they should just let the company die in peace instead of constantly trying to beat the company with a club at every chance.  Apple's share price is already in the toilet but Wall Street is going to beat it down as far as possible because they're absolutely certain Apple has no future revenue growth.  It's just a given that Apple will fail.

There's a reason why Apple won't go away and die.... people keep buying their stuff.

Oh sure... Apple isn't the #1 hardware vendor by volume... nor do they have the #1 platform in mobile or desktop.

But so what? As long as people keep buying their stuff... Apple will stay in business. That's why Apple won't go away and die.

It sucks for all the Apple haters out there... but what are they gonna do?
post #78 of 257

What is the point of the Samsung/Google road map picture?

 

If Apple had invented laptops, All in Ones and OSes then it would have a degree of creditability. As it stands it is as silly as those photos that compared the original iphone to the handsets with small screens and numeric keyboards.  

post #79 of 257
Good report as I too can not understand how these analysts can get away with nonstop misinformation. I am curious if you are planning to fact check the recently released report by The NPD Group. Thanks for all your hard work.
post #80 of 257
But this sort of deluded criticism of Apple has been going on in the IT industry for the past 30 years. Some people never ever learn from their errors.

We see exactly the same crap coming from so-called IT 'experts' (aka drips-under-pressure), who constantly criticise Apple products because Apple goes out of its way to prevent idiots 'fiddling' with its hardware or software and opening up the Apple ecosystem to virus writers and cyber criminals as Microsoft so successfully did in the 1980s and 1990s. These people seem to be completely oblivious of the fact that the vast majority of Apple's customers are not tech-heads who can build a computer from scratch over a long weekend. So they go out and buy generic Linux boxes and Windows devices rather than 'expensive' and reliable Apple devices. All fool them!

And yet when one attempts to point out that it is the Microsoft/Google strategy of 'openness', cheapness and poor quality control, that allowed the malware writers and cyber-criminals to prosper and cause billions, or maybe even trillions, of dollars of losses to individuals and corporations around the globe, these same IT 'experts' are nowhere to be seen. In fact most IT blogs will not even publish posts that point to the damage companies like Microsoft and Google have done to the value, security and reliability of the Internet.

It seems the vast majority of people in the IT industry are far more concerned with convincing themselves and all users of IT devices that Apple is, and always has been, rotten to the core. The IT industry still has an awful lot to learn about itself, and if it doesn't start that learning process on its own initiative, someone or something much bigger, uglier and nastier will call it to account for its real failures over recent years, rather than the perceived failures of Apple they constantly whinge about.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Editorial: 2013 was a terrible year for both Apple's competitors and its media critics