or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Editorial: 2013 was a terrible year for both Apple's competitors and its media critics
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Editorial: 2013 was a terrible year for both Apple's competitors and its media critics - Page 3

post #81 of 257

Oh, look - a reprise of the 'all the media, market researchers and tech commentators have an axe to grind against Apple' argument.

 

Do you seriously think this is true? Apple gets loads of positive media attention - probably more than any other tech company.

post #82 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I hope that's not a serious question. Safari frequently crashes on the iPad Air. And I'm being being kind to Apple when I use the word frequently.

The only place I ever get a crash on any of my iPads, iPad Air and others, is replying or editing on this very web site. Damn I jus got one! Apple. Insider need to fix their Fracking blog!
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #83 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nah.


There was never an argument to make. No one ever said anything against it. Or maybe you meant:

Which is explicitly false, anyway. And the vice versa, which you also claimed. As is your theory (which is nothing more than one, mind) that:

Does Apple pay developers to make apps for their ecosystem? No. I can't become a developer and automatically get money from Apple. I have to spend my time and my money to make a app, and when my app is in the app store does Apple then automatically give me money? No. The app that I made has to sell. So which part is it where Apple made money for me. I made the money for myself and Apple.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #84 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Fixed another one for you.

And Apple wouldn't make 30% if developers didn’t make apps for them.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #85 of 257

I like your articles and just wanted to contribute a balanced view of the state of the news media in general with the following linked article:

 

http://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/g201312/can-you-trust-news-media/

 

Thanks for your efforts, your reputation as a writer is very valuable.

post #86 of 257
Everyone knows that in this country, when proven incorrect, one "doubles down". Expect that and more in 2014.
post #87 of 257
The only thing terrible about 2013 is that we are subjected to DED dredge weekly. Please put this guy out to pasture.
post #88 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The only place I ever get a crash on any of my iPads, iPad Air and others, is replying or editing on this very web site. Damn I jus got one! Apple. Insider need to fix their Fracking blog!
I get it on this site all the time, but on others too. I don't get it when using other browsers. Damn Safari.
post #89 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

Apple gets loads of positive media attention - probably more than any other tech company.
post #90 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post


No crashing issues with Safari on the ten devices in our household.
Ok I want your devices! Safari has crashed at least 5 times for me just this morning.
post #91 of 257
undefined
post #92 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by dequardo View Post

The only thing terrible about 2013 is that we are subjected to DED dredge weekly. Please put this guy out to pasture.

If you don't like then stop reading.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #93 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Ok I want your devices! Safari has crashed at least 5 times for me just this morning.

We have been using Apple products for over six years now in our house, using macs, iPods, iPads and iPhones. In all that time Safari hasn't crashed 5 times in total. Maybe you have a faulty device or need to free up some ram?
I do think that Apple is facing difficult times ahead though from products that are not as good as Apple products but are cheaper and good enough for most people's needs. I also think Google is going to face problems soon, especially in Europe where several countries are taking issue with Google's lack of respect to privacy.
post #94 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

And Apple wouldn't make 30% if developers didn’t make apps for them.

And if Apple didn't provide the storefront, payment processing, servers, etc, Devs wouldn't be making the 70%
post #95 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

And if Apple didn't provide the storefront, payment processing, servers, etc, Devs wouldn't be making the 70%

Why are you repeating what I replied to? The fact is that Apple needs devs and devs need Apple. If Apple made money for devs then they'd all be profitable but the truth is that the vast majority never break even. Apple could very easily allow the side loading of apps and not concern themselves with storage and transactions but then they'd miss out on all the money that the devs would make.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #96 of 257
Where's the proof the WP8 had "little success"? It had a very high adoption rate and one of the fastest growing app stores on the market
post #97 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevliu1980 View Post

These articles are the worst type of tripe - anyone calling Google or Samsung's 2013 as failures instantly loses all credibility, as much as those who talk about Apple's demise. You should be able to talk objectively about performance without turning into a circle jerk.

Google's core business is obviously doing tremendously and their ability to monetize their users through advertising is ridiculous (2 to 3X times anyone else). Their Android strategy does seem haphazard at the moment, though they seem content enough to cast the widest net they can, even if it's on low end devices.

Samsung had a tremendously profitable year, closing the gap in profits to Apple in a way that was unfathomable 2 years ago. The S4 was a disappointment, though the Note 3 was excellent. The Q1 2014 release of the S5 along with a slew of new tablets should provide some guidance on how they will execute next year.  They get about a half year of sole attention until the next major update to an iOS device.

Apple was Apple in that they innovated and executed tremendously in 2013 in their existing product segments. The biggest what if of 2013 is their lack of a larger screen device. Regardless of whether *you* want one, there clearly is enormous demand for a device and it's fair to think how much money they left on the table. They're in good shape, though it's unfortunate there isn't going to be much new in iOS until the summer.
Nice counter point, though I hope you're wrong about iOS. If nothing else Apple needs to release 7.1 to fix bugs, especially with Safari. Constant crashes and reloading of tabs is annoying to say the least and doesn't seem to fit Jony Ive's ethos about making the best possible products they can.

Turn off JavaScript for Safari in settings -- the crashes will go away...

Though, after the recent upgrade to iOS 7 I'm no longer having any crash problems with Safari.


As to the article, I have a question for DED:

Did you get any on you?
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #98 of 257
Bravo, DED! Excellent article summarizing much of what was in the back of my head over the year. Given this is a grand game of chess, I can't help but think how many of these competitors have undergone a sobering review of their plans (in much the same way that you've performed the gap analysis) and adjusted their plans accordingly?
post #99 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by dequardo View Post

The only thing terrible about 2013 is that we are subjected to DED dredge weekly. Please put this guy out to pasture.

Dude, get some sleep! And cheer the "f" up! :)

 

Happy New Year, I guess.

post #100 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixPenceRicher View Post

Bravo, DED! Excellent article summarizing much of what was in the back of my head over the year. Given this is a grand game of chess, I can't help but think how many of these competitors have undergone a sobering review of their plans (in much the same way that you've performed the gap analysis) and adjusted their plans accordingly?

Well said. Wouldn't it be great to sit in just one of Tim Cook's executive meetings where he discusses Apple's long range plans? :)

 

Best

post #101 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post

We have been using Apple products for over six years now in our house, using macs, iPods, iPads and iPhones. In all that time Safari hasn't crashed 5 times in total. Maybe you have a faulty device or need to free up some ram?
I do think that Apple is facing difficult times ahead though from products that are not as good as Apple products but are cheaper and good enough for most people's needs. I also think Google is going to face problems soon, especially in Europe where several countries are taking issue with Google's lack of respect to privacy.

In 2014 i think the most important people at Apple will be Jony Ive and Angela Ahrendts. I've creating lust worthy products and Ahrendts selling them. As the markets that Apple competes and become more and more commoditized fashion becomes ever more important. Of course having a platform that people want to develop for is super important too. But Apple can't really compete on pure hardware specs, so designing products that people lust after will be huge. Take the nMP. I've seen so many Twitter posts from people who say they don't need one but want one. 64-bit isn't sexy. Hearing Jony Ive in his English accent talking about highly polished diamond cut chamfered edges gets people every time. I hope Tim Cook ignores the calls to get into the low end. That would be disaster for Apple.
post #102 of 257

@dequardo:

 

Wow.

 

Given that you are obviously and expert in this space, please provide links to your most recent work and analysis so that we can be enlightened.  I look forward to reading your exhaustive and detailed analysis of this marketplace.

 

The links?

post #103 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Both Google and Amazon stocks are up 58% year-to-date; Microsoft is up 40%. If these companies have had a terrible year it's certainly not reflected in their stock price. Compare that with Apple which is up a paltry 5% year-to-date even though the S&P 500 is up 29% and the Nasdaq is up 38%. How is it that Google and Microsoft stock is up double digits if they had such a bad year?

 

Google, Amazon and Microsoft didn't have a bad year in most respects... but, in some they did.

 

Apple also didn't have a bad year in most respects... but, in some it did.

 

This story focuses mostly on the bad year in analysis of Apple.

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #104 of 257
Originally Posted by hungover View Post

If Apple had invented laptops, All in Ones and OSes then it would have a degree of creditability.

 

But they did invent modern laptops, modern all in ones, and modern OS’. 

 

Who put the keyboard in the back? Apple.

Who turned the iMac into the transition device for desktop multitouch? Apple.

Who too two code bases and built OS X on them? Apple.

 

Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

Do you seriously think this is true? Apple gets loads of positive media attention - probably more than any other tech company.

 

I got into trouble before for pointing out how mind-numbingly stupid it is to say what you’ve said here.

 

Don’t make me get into trouble again. Just know that you’re wretchedly incorrect.

 

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
So which part is it where Apple made money for me.

 

Let’s see, they do your advertising, your hosting, your SEO, they created your code base, created the platforms on which your software sells in the first place…

 

If this is too difficult for you to understand, feel free to let us know.

 

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
Why are you repeating what I replied to?

 

Because your reply was nonsensical tripe that didn’t do anything to refute what was being said.

 

Look, you don’t have the slightest clue what you’re talking about. Just stop. Go read about the chicken and the egg and why what you’re saying ISN’T applicable here.

post #105 of 257
Great article DED! Was wondering where you were. What a great Christmas present read.
post #106 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


In 2014 i think the most important people at Apple will be Jony Ive and Angela Ahrendts. I've creating lust worthy products and Ahrendts selling them. As the markets that Apple competes and become more and more commoditized fashion becomes ever more important. Of course having a platform that people want to develop for is super important too. But Apple can't really compete on pure hardware specs, so designing products that people lust after will be huge. Take the nMP. I've seen so many Twitter posts from people who say they don't need one but want one. 64-bit isn't sexy. Hearing Jony Ive in his English accent talking about highly polished diamond cut chamfered edges gets people every time. I hope Tim Cook ignores the calls to get into the low end. That would be disaster for Apple.

^^^ This!


I would add:
  • Large, Powerful iPad
  • Ramifications of free iWork / iLife and iOS / OSX
  • iCloud versions of iWork / iLife (feature compatible with iOS and OSX)
  • Maps and Map Services enhancements
  • iTunes Store Services for Retail / iTunes Specie

And, of course:


Edited by Dick Applebaum - 12/29/13 at 9:27am
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #107 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

And Apple wouldn't make 30% if developers didn’t make apps for them.

Going around in circles are we? Brilliant reasoning skills there.

The App Store is a multi-billion dollar industry that DID NOT EXIST until Apple created the iPhone and the entire ecosystem surrounding it. As TS said, this isn't a "chicken and egg" case where they both started together and share credit for its success. Apple deserves most of the credit.
post #108 of 257
I found your editorial interesting. The information in this editorial is good. The quality of the writing, however, is not. Please hire an editor. Some of your sentences are the length of a paragraph. In places you use the same word multiple times in a single sentence (e.g. "entire"). Your sentence structure is abysmal. Finally, your use of complex adjectives next to seldom-used nouns makes for difficult reading.Taken together, these characteristics make your editorial difficult to read. They diminish the impact of the actual content.

Strive for clarity. Permit only one idea per sentence. Avoid using too many adjectives for dramatic effect. These suggestions should help you communicate your thoughts more clearly.
post #109 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

And Apple wouldn't make 30% if developers didn’t make apps for them.

Going around in circles are we? Brilliant reasoning skills there.

The App Store is a multi-billion dollar industry that DID NOT EXIST until Apple created the iPhone and the entire ecosystem surrounding it. As TS said, this isn't a "chicken and egg" case where they both started together and share credit for its success. Apple deserves most of the credit.


"If you build it, He will come"

--Field Of Dreams


"If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we’d all have a merry Christmas”

-- Dandy Don


"...we could all stand in a circle with our hands in each other’s pockets and somehow get rich."

--Paul Harvey
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #110 of 257
A lot of this is correct. But the article fails to mention it was a terrible year for Apple investors, Apple apologists and Apple Inc too. The stock price tanked 40% because there were no significant product releases for most of 2013, Apple didn't declare the Special Dividend (it should have) like almost every other responsible company did at the end of 2012, and a lot of what Apple did in 2013 was ho hum and underwhwlming. The 5C has yet to prove itself and Maverick still needs serious tweaking IMO.

At ant rate it was a terrible year for Apple too. Stop with the apologies and rationalizations already AI.
post #111 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Does Apple pay developers to make apps for their ecosystem? No. I can't become a developer and automatically get money from Apple.

Actually, they do. Pages, Numbers, Keynote... 1wink.gif

As for independent entrepreneurs, you have a mighty sense of entitlement going on there.
post #112 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

A lot of this is correct. But the article fails to mention it was a terrible year for Apple investors, Apple apologists and Apple Inc too. The stock price tanked 40% because there were no significant product releases for most of 2013, Apple didn't declare the Special Dividend (it should have) like almost every other responsible company did at the end of 2012, and a lot of what Apple did in 2013 was ho hum and underwhwlming. The 5C has yet to prove itself and Maverick still needs serious tweaking IMO.

At ant rate it was a terrible year for Apple too. Stop with the apologies and rationalizations already AI.

Stock price on 1/1/13: 549 (in 12/27/12: 509). Stock price today: 560.

That's some hell of a 40% drop.

Wait a sec.
post #113 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

A lot of this is correct. But the article fails to mention it was a terrible year for Apple investors, Apple apologists and Apple Inc too. The stock price tanked 40% because there were no significant product releases for most of 2013, Apple didn't declare the Special Dividend (it should have) like almost every other responsible company did at the end of 2012, and a lot of what Apple did in 2013 was ho hum and underwhwlming. The 5C has yet to prove itself and Maverick still needs serious tweaking IMO.

At ant rate it was a terrible year for Apple too. Stop with the apologies and rationalizations already AI.

1) Why exactly should Apple release a special dividend? What do you think a special dividend would have done to the stock? Shot it past it's temporary 2012 peak?

2) Stocks fluctuate. If you are an investor you just have to accept that. It's also gambling so you can't simply look at a successful company (like Apple) and expect the stocks to grow because the company is profitable or expect a stock to drop upon hearing about quarterly losses (like BB and Amazon) because there is emotion involved in these decisions. It's not rational but it's a reality.

3) Apple doesn't have product releases for most of the year. They never have. You can't have a new product every week and since Apple only has 4 legs of business — Mac, iPod, iPhone, and iPad — with the first not being a major consideration for the majority, the second dropping each year because of the iOS-based iDevices are dominating it, you really only have 2 categories that the market and media really care about. You can't have a new iPhone and IPhone released every week or even every month or every 3 months. It's unrealistic.

4) The worse thing Apple can do is to over extend themselves and dilute their brand by flooding the market with more product categories for the sake of it. They have the dominate mindshare so everything if already compared to an Apple product if Apple makes something in that category. Let's remember the time between the Mac and iPod and the iPod and iPhone. Just because the iPhone and iPad were only 3 years apart doesn't mean everything else can be this expedited.

5) What does the iPhone 5C have to prove? What did the iPhone 4S, or iPhone 4, or iPhone 4GS all have to prove in their second year? From what I've seen the numbers are impressive and I, anecdotally, see plenty of 5C's in public which is impressive because unlike any flagship product there is no reason for people to run out and get last year's HW.

6) Every time Apple releases a new OS update people complain. Your complaint that it "still needs serious tweaking" says nothing about what is wrong with it, but on this point I agree, because all OSes need serious tweaking. There are bugs to fix and refinements to be made constantly but I see nothing about Mavericks that would make it a bane to Mac users, hurt sales, or the stock price which is what your inclusion of Mavericks suggests.
Edited by SolipsismX - 12/29/13 at 10:11am

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #114 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Stock price on 1/1/13: 549 (in 12/27/12: 509). Stock price today: 560.

That's some hell of a 40% drop.

Wait a sec.

All my points and I forget to add that one. I even grabbed a screenshot before I posted.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #115 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Why are you repeating what I replied to? The fact is that Apple needs devs and devs need Apple. If Apple made money for devs then they'd all be profitable but the truth is that the vast majority never break even. Apple could very easily allow the side loading of apps and not concern themselves with storage and transactions but then they'd miss out on all the money that the devs would make.

Gee, it isn't enough that there are so many me-too apps from developers already, but now you want to open up the Walled Garden to uncertified crap? I'll bet those unprofitable devs would be unprofitable on any platform. Maybe they should consider other lines of work?

 

Here's a hint; don't like the App Store rules? Google play awaits.

post #116 of 257
While all the rumors of new products and features by the Analysts certainly drum up excitement they are purely guesses.. It's time foe everyone to realize that the only thing that gets out to the public is what Applecwants you to know Remember that the Analysts are stock chutneys trying to manipulate interest inthe stock towards the sell or buy side. With little knowledge when it comes to Apple
post #117 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


In 2014 i think the most important people at Apple will be Jony Ive and Angela Ahrendts. I've creating lust worthy products and Ahrendts selling them. As the markets that Apple competes and become more and more commoditized fashion becomes ever more important. Of course having a platform that people want to develop for is super important too. But Apple can't really compete on pure hardware specs, so designing products that people lust after will be huge. Take the nMP. I've seen so many Twitter posts from people who say they don't need one but want one. 64-bit isn't sexy. Hearing Jony Ive in his English accent talking about highly polished diamond cut chamfered edges gets people every time. I hope Tim Cook ignores the calls to get into the low end. That would be disaster for Apple.

Uhm, more like Apple doesn't need to compete on pure hardware specs because they aren't in the Android market and don't have to compete with Android OEM's at that level. Apple came out with the 64bit because they had and have plans to take advantage of it today and into the futue. More to the point, all of the Android OEM's target low, mid and high end sales; Apple sells only premium smartphones.

 

News; those flagship phones from vendors other than Samsung (let's just say $10B a year in marketing) don't sell enough for the OEM's to make a profit, and Google subsidizes its Nexus phones. As for commoditization, bet that the Android OEM's and Samsung are suffering much more than Apple.

post #118 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamneildrake View Post

I found your editorial interesting. The information in this editorial is good. The quality of the writing, however, is not. Please hire an editor. Some of your sentences are the length of a paragraph. In places you use the same word multiple times in a single sentence (e.g. "entire"). Your sentence structure is abysmal. Finally, your use of complex adjectives next to seldom-used nouns makes for difficult reading.Taken together, these characteristics make your editorial difficult to read. They diminish the impact of the actual content.

Strive for clarity. Permit only one idea per sentence. Avoid using too many adjectives for dramatic effect. These suggestions should help you communicate your thoughts more clearly.

I agree.

 

DED provides too much information to digest all at once, but it is an end of year summary. 

 

Ironically, DED could build a very good year end summary with links to the year's AI articles in iBook format. A huge level of effort, but would there be a payoff even with a token price like $5 on the iBook Store?


Edited by tmay - 12/29/13 at 11:11am
post #119 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmay View Post

Gee, it isn't enough that there are so many me-too apps from developers already, but now you want to open up the Walled Garden to uncertified crap? I'll bet those unprofitable devs would be unprofitable on any platform. Maybe they should consider other lines of work?

Here's a hint; don't like the App Store rules? Google play awaits.

That's not my point. My point is that developers would make money with or without the walled garden, Apple doesn’t make the money for them.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #120 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmay View Post

Uhm, more like Apple doesn't need to compete on pure hardware specs because they aren't in the Android market and don't have to compete with Android OEM's at that level. Apple came out with the 64bit because they had and have plans to take advantage of it today and into the futue. More to the point, all of the Android OEM's target low, mid and high end sales; Apple sells only premium smartphones.

News; those flagship phones from vendors other than Samsung (let's just say $10B a year in marketing) don't sell enough for the OEM's to make a profit, and Google subsidizes its Nexus phones. As for commoditization, bet that the Android OEM's and Samsung are suffering much more than Apple.
my point is fashion/lust/desirability are going to become more and more important for Apple. That's where Jony Ive and Angela Ahrendts come in to play. Make Apple products fashion statements that people want/have to own.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Editorial: 2013 was a terrible year for both Apple's competitors and its media critics