or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Martin Scorsese's Oscar winning film 'Hugo' is Apple's latest free gift in US

Martin Scorsese's Oscar winning film 'Hugo' is Apple's latest free gift in US

post #1 of 38
Apple's "12 Days of Gifts" continues to roll on, with Monday's offering of critically acclaimed film "Hugo" marking the fifth free item offered to users in the United States, while those in the U.K. can instead download the holiday classic "Home Alone."

Hugo

Each day's gift can be discovered by using Apple's official 12 Days of Gifts app available for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. Users can download Monday's free gift, Hugo, direct from iTunes for free without installing the iOS app.

Rated 94 percent on Rotten Tomatoes and a winner of five Academy Awards in 2012, "Hugo" is a love letter to cinema from acclaimed director Martin Scorsese. An adaptation of the children's book "The Invention of Hugo Cabret," the 2011 film stars Asa Butterfield, Jude Law, Chloe Graze Moretz, Emily Mortimer, Sacha Baron Cohen, and Ben Kingsley.

The two-hour, six minute film is available in high definition 1080p or 720p, as well as standard definition. The free offering also comes with iTunes Extras content, including "Shoot the Moon (The Making of Hugo," which features interviews with the cast and crew.

Previous U.S. gifts from Apple include a Justin Timberlake single, the iOS game Tiny Thief, Lonely Planet's Best in Travel 2014 e-book, and a single from Lorde.

Apple offers different gifts to users across the globe, meaning Monday's offering of "Hugo" is limited to those in America. U.K. users, for example, receive a free copy of the film Home Alone as their free gift on Monday.
post #2 of 38
We got Home Alone, I want Hugo too!.
post #3 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

Call 911 and have them send the Whaaaaambulance!

post #4 of 38
Quote:

We got Hugo, I'd rather have Home Alone 1smile.gif
post #5 of 38
Quote:

Set up an account with the US iTunes store then.

post #6 of 38

Home alone suits me, I felt like watching it again and was too tight to spend the money to rent it. Thanks Apple

iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #7 of 38
I'm having a bit a Whaaaa too here in Ireland. Gifts this year are crap compared to last year. So bad I have only downloaded 1 so far. Its stuff you can't even give away for free, kinda like a Surface, 1smile.gif
post #8 of 38
At last, a freebie I like. From the trailer, Hugo sounds like it will be great and imaginative film.
post #9 of 38
I'd prefer Hugo but free is great anyway.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #10 of 38
Quote:

I'm sure if you are resourceful enough, you can find a way to download it for free sans iTunes. 1wink.gif
"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything" Robert Zemeckis/Bob Gale/Robert_E._Lee
"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything" Robert Zemeckis/Bob Gale/Robert_E._Lee
post #11 of 38

I wish apple will consider giving the following apps for free. iPhoto、iMovie、GarageBand、Pages、Numbers、Keynote.  There must be alot of people out there like myself who would be happy to get these apps.  Since apple is giving them for free with new purchased devices hopefully they would consider to give it away for free for people who have older devices.  Thank you apple for what you have given away for free.  Some people will be happy and other not but in the end free is free no matter what.  Thank you.  

post #12 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Call 911 and have them send the Whaaaaambulance!

Its 000 in Australia. 
If you were in arms reach, you'd need whaaambulance :p 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Set up an account with the US iTunes store then.

I think i will :D
post #13 of 38
As far as I know 911 works everywhere. Blame Hollywood.
post #14 of 38
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post
Blame Hollywood.

That people are so stupid they don’t know their local emergency information? Why? :lol:

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #15 of 38
I have a feeling I'm going to open a can of worms here...

I know it's not universally popular, but I'm one of those people who really do like 3D movies when the effects are used well. Hugo is a great example of that. I already own the movie on 3D Blu-Ray.

I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, and if I didn't already own it I would definitely download Hugo. But to me this gift shines a spotlight on the fact Apple doesn't offer 3D versions of movies for those of us who (gasp!) actually like it. I understand the technical restraints, but they don't seem insurmountable to me.
post #16 of 38
Got in here in Canada with a Canadian account.
It's only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything.

Tyler Durden | Fight Club
It's only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything.

Tyler Durden | Fight Club
post #17 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

At last, a freebie I like. From the trailer, Hugo sounds like it will be great and imaginative film.

It production was very good but I also found the story to be an exceedingly dull storyl. I came away neither liking or disliking it, and quickly forgetting about it until it was mentioned here this morning.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #18 of 38
Originally Posted by bucknbn View Post
…the fact Apple doesn’t offer 3D versions of movies…

Because Apple doesn’t support gimmicks.

post #19 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp385 View Post

I wish apple will consider giving the following apps for free. iPhoto、iMovie、GarageBand、Pages、Numbers、Keynote.  There must be alot of people out there like myself who would be happy to get these apps.  Since apple is giving them for free with new purchased devices hopefully they would consider to give it away for free for people who have older devices.  

It is highly unlikely they will ever do that. Why? Because it's not about the apps but rather the upgraded hardware. They want you to buy the newer devices so when you do you get this 'gift without purchase'. If they just give it to everyone folks have less reason to buy new hardware which is what they want since that is where they make money. Make no mistake Apple might not use making money as their major guideline but that is still their business.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #20 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It production was very good but I also found the story to be an exceedingly dull storyl. I came away neither liking or disliking it, and quickly forgetting about it until it was mentioned here this morning.

It's a kids movie from a kids book. Most adults will find it boring due to the lack of real violence, sex or a complex storyline

post #21 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That people are so stupid they don’t know their local emergency information? Why? lol.gif

When you have mom on speed dial, who needs another number??
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #22 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

It's a kids movie from a kids book. Most adults will find it boring due to the lack of real violence, sex or a complex storyline

How can anyone forget an inept French policeman?
post #23 of 38
Quote:

I have a feeling I'm going to open a can of worms here...

I know it's not universally popular, but I'm one of those people who really do like 3D movies when the effects are used well. Hugo is a great example of that. I already own the movie on 3D Blu-Ray.

I have it on good authority that 3D Blu-Ray is a double bag of hurt...
post #24 of 38
Quote:

I know it's not universally popular, but I'm one of those people who really do like 3D movies when the effects are used well. Hugo is a great example of that.

I disagree with TS's comment. 3D can be very impressive when done well, but personally there is one movie I've seen that I would truly say was better because it was in 3D. Gravity (2013).

I recently spent a week playing the new Zelda: A Link Between Worlds game on the 3DS XL. That was very impressive 3D, however the other aspects of the display aren't so great, like resolution, and you did have a very small window of usability or 3D effect would be like watching a 3D movie with the glasses off. But all around I was very pleased with the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

How can anyone forget an inept French policeman?

I hadn't remembered until you mentioned him and now all I remember is he was played by Ali G. Booyakasha!

post #25 of 38
in 3D. Gravity (2013).

Haven’t seen it yet, want to, fully grasp that this in 3D would be terrifying. That’s where 3D should be used: medium-specific outlets.

Do they have it in IMAX, too? Heck, even watching it with Oculus Rift makes sense. 

But 3D for anything else is pointless until it can be done autostereoscopically, and even then it doesn’t genuinely enhance the medium.

Know what would be good, though? Surround view. Think Lytro for 3D viewing.

Imagine a sports venue with 14 or so cameras set up around the entire stadium. Viewers at home could manually move their view of the field around and watch from any angle, zooming in, etc. And then if you paid to own a digital file of the game later, you could rewatch it from completely different angles the next time through.

I can imagine a system like this paying for itself with JUST home-purchased copies of, say, the Super Bowl.

post #26 of 38
Great- Another French story where everyone talks with a Brit accent- and a cockney cop no less.
Les Miserables was bad enough. Lame.

Where's the new Apple TV?

And still waiting for SolipsismX to prove his accusation:
"And yet they haven't loved Google Wallet which you claimed was the exact same thing and kept posting...

"And yet they haven't loved Google Wallet which you claimed was the exact same thing and kept posting...
post #27 of 38
Quote:

Thanks. I hadn't realized that. I guess I was going in expecting to see Gangs of Paris. 1tongue.gif

post #28 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because Apple doesn’t support gimmicks.

Just crappy gifts.
Maybe day 6 will change my mind -
I hope it's not a Britney Spears download.

post #29 of 38

Meanwhile in Australia where it's New Years Eve it's 

New Year's Eve Mix - Single

Avicii

https://itunes.apple.com/au/album/new-years-eve-mix-single/id735535809

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #30 of 38
Quote:

As depicted in the film at least, the story is tedious, ponderous, and for the most part pointless.

post #31 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp385 View Post

I wish apple will consider giving the following apps for free. iPhoto、iMovie、GarageBand、Pages、Numbers、Keynote.  There must be alot of people out there like myself who would be happy to get these apps.  Since apple is giving them for free with new purchased devices hopefully they would consider to give it away for free for people who have older devices.  Thank you apple for what you have given away for free.  Some people will be happy and other not but in the end free is free no matter what.  Thank you.  

You can. Just call apple support. I got mine free.
post #32 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

As depicted in the film at least, the story is tedious, ponderous, and for the most part pointless.

Oh, what a pity! To you and the legions of chronically "bored" out there ALL things are boring. So sad.

So then, the problem isn't with the film, it's with YOUR attitude.

"Hugo" is a quality production from a talented director, cast, and crew. Its story—that of dreams and happy endings—is worthwhile for viewers of ANY age.

Daniel Swanson

Daniel Swanson

post #33 of 38

For all you whiners and complainers about getting freebies, maybe the 12th gift will be when Apple ships you a box of coal.

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/75HS/fedex-one-rate-santa

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #34 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

For all you whiners and complainers about getting freebies, maybe the 12th gift will be when Apple ships you a box of coal.

Perhaps I missed it but I didn't read any comments about the quality of the free gift, just comments about the film itself.

post #35 of 38

I simply cannot believe my eyes. People bitching about freebies. Free is not even good enough for some. Me? I’m like a little kid with this. I can’t wait for the next day to what I get free next. It’s fun.

post #36 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

I simply cannot believe my eyes. People bitching about freebies. Free is not even good enough for some. Me? I’m like a little kid with this. I can’t wait for the next day to what I get free next. It’s fun.

What am I missing? I haven't read a single comment berating Apple for offering free media and apps, or the idea of offering something for free.

It seems to me the posters in these daily threads are looking foreword to what may come next even if a particular freebie doesn't appeal to them on a given day.

post #37 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Never mind, I just notice post 7.

post #38 of 38
Quote:

Never mind, I just notice post 7.

;) In the timeless words of Roseanne Roseannadanna, "It just goes to show you, it's always something - if it ain't one thing, it's another."

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Martin Scorsese's Oscar winning film 'Hugo' is Apple's latest free gift in US