or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iOS 7 now installed on 78% of active Apple handheld devices
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iOS 7 now installed on 78% of active Apple handheld devices - Page 2

post #41 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I suppose it's like Safari on the iPad. Crashes for me like crazy (especially on this site) but others don't seem to have any issues.

Have you tried reinstalling iOS7 from scratch ? Safari crashed a few times for me since release, and that's it. I have 15 tabs open now. And it's quicker than iOS6 on my iPad 2. I look forward to 7.1 for them to mob up the remaining issues.
post #42 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Emperor View Post
 

 

I had no issues running 7 on the iPhone 4S, so "many" is anecdotal. Everyone I know with an iPhone is on iOS 7. In fact, at 78%, you and your acquaintances are distinctively in the minority on  this.


I am glad that it worked for you.

 

Yes, "many" is vague. Apple sure as heck isn't releasing any numbers, so it is all vague about how big of a problem this is.

 

Of course, it is interesting to note that unless someone is counted in that 78% running iOS7 they will not know if their phone has issues. Therefore, the pool of people who have issues with an iPhone 4S and iOS7 is not the 22% who haven't upgraded, but the 78% that have.

 

That all being said, I am having a hard time understanding the responses that I am getting here. Many people seem to be taking the stance that since Apple only broke a small percentage of phones that they have no responsibility for their actions. Is it really your contention that it is okay for Apple to do this since it is just a minority of people who were adversely affected by this? Is that what the standard of ethics and right has become? It is okay that I messed up and hurt, and this is a financial harm, a group of people because it was only a small percentage?

post #43 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by mknopp View Post
 

 

My cousin was one of those whose iPhone 4S was broken. He talked to Apple support several times and was basically told the same thing every time, "Sorry, but we can't help you. We suggest you buy a new phone." And he did. He bought an Android phone on Black Friday and has stated that he is done with Apple. Maybe he is and maybe he isn't, but he has been a huge supporter and Apple evangelist for close to half a decade now. He talked most of his family into buying Apple products. Now, he is telling them to buy something else.

 

We’ve heard that meme over and over. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence until the other side of the fence disappoints him too. Whatever. Your assertion that “iOS 7 broke wifi on so many iPhone 4S phones” is still complete bullshit. And as for your cousin’s shift in attitude, he’s mad at Apple not enamored with Android. My son did the same thing at least twice. He got angry over his iPhone for some reason, bought an HTC Android phone only to have it blow up in his face. It literally fell apart, the charging connector broke, it wouldn’t boot any more, etc. So back he went to an iPhone 5. Now he’s  yammering about it and how iOS 7 “destroyed my battery life,” another meme we hear after every update. And so it goes. Technology craps on some people. Your cousin is just a statistic in an extreme minority.

post #44 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by mknopp View Post


And do you really believe that iPhone owners are all so stupid that none of them have done any research at all before upgrading? A simple search for "iphone 4s iOS7 issues" returns close to 18 million results. But your assertion is that not a single iPhone 4S user did a quick search before upgrading nor that a single person asked the "tech guru" about it before upgrading?
"Android issues" returned 500MM results.
post #45 of 94

I'm enjoying iOS7 however there is definitely room for more improvement on it. The UI in some areas is too simple and too CLOSE together! Space between buttons is a good thing. I've read 7.1 makes some more UI improvments.

"An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest."
"Those who would give up essential liberties to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither." -Ben Franklin
Reply
"An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest."
"Those who would give up essential liberties to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither." -Ben Franklin
Reply
post #46 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post
 

It should be noted that the chart from Google's developer website only counts devices that access the Google Play Store, not all of Androidlandia.

 

This is Google's only viable attempt at lessening just how bad fragmentation is with Android OS. It's funny how they count all Android-based devices when they tout activations, yet when they try to demonstrate OS version adoption, they limit the scope.

 

That chart is intended for the developer, to know which OS version and screen resolution are in use between potential users/customers (those accessing Play Store).

 

And to be honest, I am suffering fragmentation more on iOS devices than on Android devices. On iPad and iPhone I have to wait an iOS release to have system app (for example Safari) updated, while on any Android version all system apps receive updates almost monthly.

post #47 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post
 

 

We’ve heard that meme over and over. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence until the other side of the fence disappoints him too. Whatever. Your assertion that “iOS 7 broke wifi on so many iPhone 4S phones” is still complete bullshit. And as for your cousin’s shift in attitude, he’s mad at Apple not enamored with Android. My son did the same thing at least twice. He got angry over his iPhone for some reason, bought an HTC Android phone only to have it blow up in his face. It literally fell apart, the charging connector broke, it wouldn’t boot any more, etc. So back he went to an iPhone 5. Now he’s  yammering about it and how iOS 7 “destroyed my battery life,” another meme we hear after every update. And so it goes. Technology craps on some people. Your cousin is just a statistic in an extreme minority.

 

So, you are asserting that I and everyone who has posted about this issue are all liars and that this did not happen?

 

Well, there isn't anything else to say to that. The issue never happened. There is not a problem.

 

So, to go with your grass is always greener meme. How about we add the ostrich with his head in the sand meme. Denying that a problem exist doesn't make it go away.

 

And technology didn't crap on my cousin, Apple did. His phone didn't just break. It was broken by a combination of bad hardware and an update by Apple. Then Apple refused to take any responsibility for it.

post #48 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


"Android issues" returned 500MM results.

 

What?! What does that have to do with the discussion?

 

This isn't about iOS versus Android. This is about Apple breaking a number of people's phones and then not taking responsibility for it.

post #49 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradipao View Post
 

And to be honest, I am suffering fragmentation more on iOS devices than on Android devices. On iPad and iPhone I have to wait an iOS release to have system app (for example Safari) updated, while on any Android version all system apps receive updates almost monthly.

 

How is that fragmentation? In fact, a slower update cycle would likely cause less fragmentation since there would be less options for people to even have.

post #50 of 94
Viewing this sit on my iPad now. Never had any problems with safari crashing. I do use Bing as the search engine though - maybe the crashing is a Google thing
post #51 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoluxa View Post
 

I'm enjoying iOS7 however there is definitely room for more improvement on it. The UI in some areas is too simple and too CLOSE together! Space between buttons is a good thing. I've read 7.1 makes some more UI improvments.


I expect that it will continue to improve as it matures. This has been the case with OSX after every major UI change, and I see no reason for it to not be the case with iOS7.

post #52 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by mknopp View Post
 


I expect that it will continue to improve as it matures. This has been the case with OSX after every major UI change, and I see no reason for it to not be the case with iOS7.

I agree. iOS 8 should be a nice update.

"An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest."
"Those who would give up essential liberties to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither." -Ben Franklin
Reply
"An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest."
"Those who would give up essential liberties to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither." -Ben Franklin
Reply
post #53 of 94
I haven't upgraded my iPhone 5. Not until Safari stops crashing every 2 minutes or less when using Huddler, as it does on my iPad Air.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #54 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by mknopp View Post

How is that fragmentation? In fact, a slower update cycle would likely cause less fragmentation since there would be less options for people to even have.

LOL. Apple should name their fragmentation after whimsical desserts, then it would be OK, even delightful.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #55 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post
 

You're the same kind of person that would piss and moan after updating your iPad 1 to iOS 6 and have it run poorly.

 

How do people like you get through the day? Is your entire life a vast cycle of having cake and eating it too? 

 

How is that you imagine in that brain of yours that one is supposed to write new, powerful, cutting edge software that is optimized for the latest and greatest devices, achieving the best possible experience...and at the same time making it work just as well on every device that came before it....devices that were built several years before they even started work on the latest software?

The original iPad had one single update, not even two years worth of software coverage. I'm sorry, but for a premium Apple device that is piss poor. 

 

Keeping in mind that the iPhone 3GS that was released 10 months earlier was able to run iOS 6 it just reinforces my point.

 

I own a lot of Apple hardware and will point out when I think Apple is wrong, rather than a faceless Apple Fan who almost has a heart attack when anything negative is said about their beloved corporation.

iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
post #56 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by mknopp View Post

What?! What does that have to do with the discussion?

This isn't about iOS versus Android. This is about Apple breaking a number of people's phones and then not taking responsibility for it.

You said if you search for ios7 issues with the 4S, you get 18 MM hits to "prove" it's widespread. I just search for android issues and got that many hits. So if your relative is that concerned with issues, maybe Android isn't his best bet.
post #57 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradipao View Post

And to be honest, I am suffering fragmentation more on iOS devices than on Android devices.

"To be honest" is a staple phrase of concern trolls. It nearly always means "to appear to be honest" in these forums.

Why don't you create your own pie chart showing us how fragmented iOS really is, because Apple has got to be lying.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #58 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I'd imagine that many of the devices that aren't on iOS7 are iPhone 3GS's

And previous generation iPod Touch.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #59 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

The original iPad had one single update, not even two years worth of software coverage. I'm sorry, but for a premium Apple device that is piss poor. 

Keeping in mind that the iPhone 3GS that was released 10 months earlier was able to run iOS 6 it just reinforces my point.

I own a lot of Apple hardware and will point out when I think Apple is wrong, rather than a faceless Apple Fan who almost has a heart attack when anything negative is said about their beloved corporation.

Did your iPad stop working when 6 came out?
post #60 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by mknopp View Post

What?! What does that have to do with the discussion?

This isn't about iOS versus Android. This is about Apple breaking a number of people's phones and then not taking responsibility for it.

It's called redirecting.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #61 of 94
I'm sorry, but just because 78% of devices *have* been upgraded to 7, that doesn't mean that all 78% of users are happy with 7. I demand to see a poll that asks, how many of them would like to revert back to iOS 6, if they could.

Sent from my iPod (4th-gen, which will always use the perfectly good iOS 6. Thanks, Apple!)
post #62 of 94
I remember when there were so many negative comments about iOS7. And now everyone has flocked to this new system in droves. Only goes to proven that man is a creature of habit
post #63 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

To be fair to Googs, that 1.1% is about 100% of Android phones that can actually upgrade to 4.4.

As for ios7 breaking wifi on the 4S, I don't think it's that great of a percentage otherwise Apple would have said something. While I don't doubt it exists, I am not having that issue on mine.

I have not had any problems running iOS7 on my iPhone 4, so can't see any reason for there being problems on the iPhone 4S.
post #64 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

I remember when there were so many negative comments about iOS7. And now everyone has flocked to this new system in droves. Only goes to proven that man is a creature of habit

Especially when that habit is force fed.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #65 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


You said if you search for ios7 issues with the 4S, you get 18 MM hits to "prove" it's widespread. I just search for android issues and got that many hits. So if your relative is that concerned with issues, maybe Android isn't his best bet.


No. I said that the search resulted in that many results to show that it was an incredibly simple thing for anyone thinking about upgrading to see that there might be some issues that they might want to look into before upgrading. I had nothing to do with any proof of how prevelent an issue it was. It was in response to your assertion that zero people would have heard of this. When even a simple search returns numerous results it isn't some hidden secret that will require a lot of work to find.

 

I really wish that I had never said what phone he went with since too many people want to focus on Android now. That he chose an Android phone is not the issue. The fact that he chose a phone that specifically was not Apple because of their poor response to their breaking of his phone is the issue. Ikrupp is correct. He didn't choose Android because he likes Android he chose it because it wasn't Apple. At this point, if he doesn't like this phone I would expect that he might try a Windows Phone or a Blackberry before he goes back to Apple. Then again, he may not.

post #66 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post


I have not had any problems running iOS7 on my iPhone 4, so can't see any reason for there being problems on the iPhone 4S.

 

It apparently has to do with a batch of chips used in the iPhone 4S for wifi connectivity. I am not sure if it is the chip itself or the solder connection for the chip, but it isn't anything inherently wrong with the iPhone 4S's design or specs. It is a quality control issue that seems to have been brought to light by something in iOS7.

 

Again, I am not upset with this. I am in manufacturing and this sort of thing is inevitable. You cannot account for every instance or occurrence.

 

What I am upset with Apple about is their response to their breaking of these people's phones. They have basically taken the stance that since it is a small percentage or people then they are not going to do anything to correct their breaking of these people's phones. It is bad ethics and bad business.

post #67 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by mknopp View Post


No. I said that the search resulted in that many results to show that it was an incredibly simple thing for anyone thinking about upgrading to see that there might be some issues that they might want to look into before upgrading. I had nothing to do with any proof of how prevelent an issue it was. It was in response to your assertion that zero people would have heard of this. When even a simple search returns numerous results it isn't some hidden secret that will require a lot of work to find.

I really wish that I had never said what phone he went with since too many people want to focus on Android now. That he chose an Android phone is not the issue. The fact that he chose a phone that specifically was not Apple because of their poor response to their breaking of his phone is the issue. Ikrupp is correct. He didn't choose Android because he likes Android he chose it because it wasn't Apple. At this point, if he doesn't like this phone I would expect that he might try a Windows Phone or a Blackberry before he goes back to Apple. Then again, he may not.

Sounds like he went through an unfortunate situation. Apple usually remedies things like this, but to fair it happens not only to just Apple.

http://m.technobuffalo.com/2013/12/30/droid-maxx-droid-ultra-droid-mini-kitkat-update-pulled-after-bricking-reports/
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #68 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by mknopp View Post
 


No, I don't have any written proof of this. You only have my word for this, which I only have my cousin's word for.

 

Although, I will say that I didn't really believe him that it was a problem. I hadn't heard anything about it until I talked to him at Thanksgiving. Afterwords, I did some research and ran across several places on the web that were saying the same things. Interestingly, every once in a while you would see a person who would say that Apple did replace their phone. It seemed to be a crap shoot as to who you got for support. Which in and of itself is a bit troubling.

 

So, you can either believe that we are all liars about this or it is an actual response that Apple has given.

 

My cousin's phone, and the only phones that this has appeared to be a problem with, is the iPhone 4S. And even within the iPhone 4S it appears to only be certain ones. I have seen it theorized based on some actions taken to "fix" the problem temporarily that it is likely either a bad batch of wifi chips or a bad solder joint. I cannot speak to these, although I will have to ask my cousin if he still has his old phone if the Bluetooth still works. Since it is controlled by the same chip. If it does then it is likely a bad solder connection for just wifi if it doesn't then it is likely the chip.

 

My cousin lost the ability to use wifi.

 

Again, I realize that this isn't a problem with the majority. And to be honest I am not even upset or suprised that there was a problem. These things happen. What shocked and disappointed me was Apple's incredibly poor response to this. Apple's QA/QC department might have caused this issue, but their service/support department's response made it into a problem.

 

Instead of having another feather in their cap and a group of customers who would go out into the world talking about how Apple quickly and courteously responded to their issues by giving them a new phone Apple's response has created a group of disgruntled customers. You can't please everyone all of the time, but when Apple made the problem they should have corrected it. Instead, the exacerbated it.


The problem that many of us here at AI have with this kind of posting is that it sounds a lot like ranting, venting out your frustrations.

You keep on talking about Apple made the problem they should have corrected it. What problem did they make since you yourself admits, a little further up even within the iPhone 4S it appears to only be certain ones, which I assume means only a fraction.

Then you say Apple's QA/QC department might have caused this issue.  How exactly did they caused it? Do you know how quality control works? They will test a randomly selected fraction of phones coming off an assembly line. No company in the world has the resources to individually test millions of devices, before shipping them to clients.

Then you go on saying that, their service/support department's response made it into a problem. Here it doesn't seem to me that you actually went to an Apple store, if one is available near you, to have them take a look at it. Either you talked to someone over the phone or you chatted with someone. Problems like these are extremely difficult to diagnose even when you are holding the actual device. Imagine now being far away from the device and trying to diagnose a problem through chat or over the phone.

Like I said, try to take it to an Apple Store if possibble. Don't judge an entire company, who employees thousands of people world wide, by the reponses of one support person.

If you have Apple Care then your cousin's iPhone 4S is probably still under guarantee and will be replaced immediately by another iPhone 4S.

If you live in a country outside the US, you may even be legally covered and Apple may not have a choice but to replace the device even without Apple Care.

If your phone is out of guarantee then they may be able to replace it but for a small fee. They did it a few years back with my iPhone 3GS with water damage.

If you still want to rant then may I suggest C|Net forums?

post #69 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Sounds like he went through an unfortunate situation. Apple usually remedies things like this, but to fair it happens not only to just Apple.

http://m.technobuffalo.com/2013/12/30/droid-maxx-droid-ultra-droid-mini-kitkat-update-pulled-after-bricking-reports/


Yes, they usually do. They few times that I have had any issue with an Apple product they have been exceptional. That is why this causes me such concern. Is this the beginning of a new, and worse, trend in Apple's support? Is this what Apple is going to be like in the future? As long as they only screw over a small percentage of their customers then it is all fine and acceptable?

 

I realize that it can happen to anyone. And you want to know what struck me about the article that you posted? They stopped the rollout of the update, supposedly to look into it. I don't know how the percentages compare and the result of the Android error is more severe as the iPhone 4S still functions as a phone, but Motorola and Verizon are taking responsibility for their mistake. Apple doesn't seem to be and I find that troubling.

post #70 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I own a lot of Apple hardware and will point out when I think Apple is wrong, rather than a faceless Apple Fan who almost has a heart attack when anything negative is said about their beloved corporation.

You vs some fictional "faceless Apple fan"? Please. False dichotomy. Some of us can see through that. Those aren't the only two ways to look at it. The Apple critics will find fault with everything Apple does. The company is damned if they do, damned if they don't. Don't upgrade older devices? They're creating fragmentation. Upgrade older devices? Bitch and moan about how slow it is. Improve iOS? Whine about the changes. Don't improve iOS? Complain about stale. Add retina display to iPads mini? Complain that it's not innovation. Don't add retina display to iPad? Whine about no retina display. Change Mac Pro? Whine about changes. Don't change Mac Pro? Stale. And so on. To the Apple media critic, it's not about "not being afraid to call Apple out", its about the permanent negative spin.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #71 of 94
Many people were forced to upgrade if they wanted their 12 Days of Christmas goodies.
post #72 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by decondo View Post

Not to mention it's ugly and too bright - I like plain, but….

I thought the same but it was mostly the default background images that loads and is shown in all the ads. I switched to the dark gray snake skin like still image, under accessibility turned on bold and larger text and am now very please with how it looks. A bunch of friends have done the same and say it a world of difference.
post #73 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by mknopp View Post


No. I said that the search resulted in that many results to show that it was an incredibly simple thing for anyone thinking about upgrading to see that there might be some issues that they might want to look into before upgrading. I had nothing to do with any proof of how prevelent an issue it was. It was in response to your assertion that zero people would have heard of this. When even a simple search returns numerous results it isn't some hidden secret that will require a lot of work to find.

I really wish that I had never said what phone he went with since too many people want to focus on Android now. That he chose an Android phone is not the issue. The fact that he chose a phone that specifically was not Apple because of their poor response to their breaking of his phone is the issue. Ikrupp is correct. He didn't choose Android because he likes Android he chose it because it wasn't Apple. At this point, if he doesn't like this phone I would expect that he might try a Windows Phone or a Blackberry before he goes back to Apple. Then again, he may not.

I never said it happened to zero people. But realistically Apple ships 100MM+ iPhones a year and the failure rate is probably less than 1%.
post #74 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDBA View Post
 


The problem that many of us here at AI have with this kind of posting is that it sounds a lot like ranting, venting out your frustrations.

You keep on talking about Apple made the problem they should have corrected it. What problem did they make since you yourself admits, a little further up even within the iPhone 4S it appears to only be certain ones, which I assume means only a fraction.

Then you say Apple's QA/QC department might have caused this issue.  How exactly did they caused it? Do you know how quality control works? They will test a randomly selected fraction of phones coming off an assembly line. No company in the world has the resources to individually test millions of devices, before shipping them to clients.

Then you go on saying that, their service/support department's response made it into a problem. Here it doesn't seem to me that you actually went to an Apple store, if one is available near you, to have them take a look at it. Either you talked to someone over the phone or you chatted with someone. Problems like these are extremely difficult to diagnose even when you are holding the actual device. Imagine now being far away from the device and trying to diagnose a problem through chat or over the phone.

Like I said, try to take it to an Apple Store if possibble. Don't judge an entire company, who employees thousands of people world wide, by the reponses of one support person.

If you have Apple Care then your cousin's iPhone 4S is probably still under guarantee and will be replaced immediately by another iPhone 4S.

If you live in a country outside the US, you may even be legally covered and Apple may not have a choice but to replace the device even without Apple Care.

If your phone is out of guarantee then they may be able to replace it but for a small fee. They did it a few years back with my iPhone 3GS with water damage.

If you still want to rant then may I suggest C|Net forums?

 

What is the dividing line between a rant and bringing up something that one finds troubling?

 

I like Apple products. I have for years and have for a long time suggested them to anyone that I think they would work for, which is the vast majority of people. I have had no qualms about this. Mostly because of the exceptional support that I have received and heard about from others.

 

Now, I run smack dab into this. It hits home in a very solid way, and all of a sudden I find that I have reservations about recommending Apple products. To me this is a concern. And people who just shrug and accept it will only make the problem persist or worsen.

 

I hold no illusions about Apple. They are a corporation, and as a corporation they exist to make profit. They are not a charity and they will do what maximizes profits. Which means that unless enough people let them know that they find this sort of behavior unacceptable as a corporation they will continue to do this and push more boundaries of unacceptable behavior.

 

I post here because I was hoping to find people who liked Apple enough to bring this unacceptable behavior to their attention. I am starting to think that this forum is the opposite of the CNet forum, where I would get no help because too many there want to see Apple fail. Here I am getting the impression that Apple is considered infallible, or at least that they are faultless for harming others through their actions as long as that number is less than 1 million, 100 thousand, 10 thousand, 1 thousand or some other number as long as it is a small percentage.

 

To be honest, my cousin did not go to an Apple Store, the closest is an hour and a half away, but he did call customer support three times and detailed a problem that was, or should have been, known to Apple support. It isn't hard to diagnose a problem when someone calls in about their iPhone 4S losing wifi after upgrading to iOS7. Run them through some test of settings and restarts to see if it is something else. If it isn't and it is a known issue then replace the phone. This wasn't some obscure and unknown issue.

 

So, am I ranting? Possibly, depends on your definition. I think that I am bringing up a troubling issue to people who I assumed also liked Apple and wanted to see them remain strong and innovative for the foreseeable future. To me, I see this as a bad sign. Maybe it isn't.

post #75 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


I never said it happened to zero people. But realistically Apple ships 100MM+ iPhones a year and the failure rate is probably less than 1%.

 

Wow, I must not be very clear, or you are having trouble understanding. You are still focused on the number of people having this issue. That is not relevant to the particular line of the discussion that we are having.

 

There are enough people having this problem to make any sane iPhone 4S user at least wary of upgrading. It is a gamble to upgrade an iPhone 4S to iOS7. It might be a small gamble, but it is still a gamble.

 

You stated the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

 

Number of iPhones 4S owners aware of this, still running iOS 6, and specifically avoiding iOS 7 because of this potential non-problem? 0.

 

You state, with removal of subordinate clause for clarity, "Number of iPhone 4S owners aware of this...? 0" That seems very clear that you are stating that not a single iPhone 4S owner is aware of this issue. I pointed out how absurd that statement is by showing how ridiculously easy it is to find reports of problems with loading iOS7 onto an iPhone 4S.

 

I am not even going to get into the inaccuracy of stating that this is a non-problem. Unless of course, you are also claiming that this never happened and everyone who says otherwise is a liar. It might be a low probability problem, but it is a problem.

 

And if you don't think so, then I will pose to you also. What number of people is it acceptable for Apple to cause financial harm through their actions before you feel they should be held accountable? 1,000? 10,000? 100,000? 1,000,000? All of these numbers are insignificant percentages of iPhone users, but they are not insignificant numbers. Apple, through their actions alone, has cost a small percentage of people financial harm. When should they be responsible for their actions?

post #76 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by mknopp View Post

Wow, I must not be very clear, or you are having trouble understanding. You are still focused on the number of people having this issue. That is not relevant to the particular line of the discussion that we are having.

There are enough people having this problem to make any sane iPhone 4S user at least wary of upgrading. It is a gamble to upgrade an iPhone 4S to iOS7. It might be a small gamble, but it is still a gamble.

You stated the following:

You state, with removal of subordinate clause for clarity, "Number of iPhone 4S owners aware of this...? 0" That seems very clear that you are stating that not a single iPhone 4S owner is aware of this issue. I pointed out how absurd that statement is by showing how ridiculously easy it is to find reports of problems with loading iOS7 onto an iPhone 4S.

I am not even going to get into the inaccuracy of stating that this is a non-problem. Unless of course, you are also claiming that this never happened and everyone who says otherwise is a liar. It might be a low probability problem, but it is a problem.

And if you don't think so, then I will pose to you also. What number of people is it acceptable for Apple to cause financial harm through their actions before you feel they should be held accountable? 1,000? 10,000? 100,000? 1,000,000? All of these numbers are insignificant percentages of iPhone users, but they are not insignificant numbers. Apple, through their actions alone, has cost a small percentage of people financial harm. When should they be responsible for their actions?

You better check who posted that again.

Electronics fail from time to time. If it's in the warranty period, it'll be replaced or fixed. There will never be a 100.00000% success rate.

1000, 10000 are insignificant considering the 100MM iPhones are sold each year. Let's consider this with other electronics. 40-50% of the original xbox failed.

Tell me what the rate is if the 4S failing with iOS 7. As I said before, you can't rely of search results and discussion posts. I'm sure someone has a scientific survey out there.
post #77 of 94

Obviously, only 3/4 rate of iOS 7 adoption is a poor sign. I hope inside Apple they will have enough courage to agree that they made a mistake.

When I saw iOS 7 apps icons and interface for the first time, I thought it was a bad joke. It appeared that it wasn't. Now it is evident that problem is even more serious than just poor design. I hope in Apple they are clever enough to accept their mistakes and to make proper decisions.

post #78 of 94
Originally Posted by mknopp View Post

What?! What does that have to do with the discussion?

 

As much as your nonsense statement did.

 

Originally Posted by dragyn427 View Post
I demand

 

Good for you, bucko. Guess what: 90+% satisfaction, none of the remainder having to do with iOS 6. 

 
…which will always use the perfectly good iOS 6.

 

Enjoy your outdated crap. You revoke all right to complain about incompatibility at all points in the future.

 

Sent from my LC 575, which will always use the “perfectly good” Mac OS 9.2.

 

Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post
Only goes to proven that man is a creature of habit

 

Or that lying, paid morons scream louder than contented masses of users.

 

Originally Posted by Bao Babus View Post
Obviously, only 3/4 rate of iOS 7 adoption is a poor sign. I hope inside Apple they will have enough courage to agree that they made a mistake.

/s

Phew. Fixed that for you. For a second we almost thought that you believed the lies in your post!

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #79 of 94
Quote:

Phew. Fixed that for you. For a second we almost thought that you believed the lies in your post!

Well, try to comment on topic instead of trolling, and your opinion maybe will mean something.

post #80 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by mknopp View Post


....(tons of whining snipped)...

Any way you spin this, neither the ethics nor the math add up. Apple is wrong, and while I still like Apple and still plan on buying their products. I cannot in good conscious contradict my cousin. It is one thing for me to gamble with my own purchases, but given how bad Apple supported my cousin and the others who have posted online, I cannot tell my family members to buy Apple without qualm anymore because they will take care of you. Now it is caveat emptor with Apple, just like everyone else.

What are the odds this was a jailbroken iPhone? Above average? Was he a jerk when he went in to see someone at the Apple Store? They don't just leave customers out in the cold, so it looks like you're deliberately not telling the whole story here.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iOS 7 now installed on 78% of active Apple handheld devices