or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google to shut down Bump and Flock apps, delete all data

Google to shut down Bump and Flock apps, delete all data

post #1 of 58
Just three months after being acquired by Google, Bump Technologies announced on Tuesday that it will be shuttering its Bump and Flock apps, both of which will be removed from the iOS App Store and cease to function on Jan. 31.

Bump

According to Bump's blog, the developer is closing down both Bump and group photo album aggregator Flock to refocus efforts on as-yet-unannounced Google projects.

"Back in September, we announced that the Bump team was joining Google to continue our work of helping people share and interact with one another using mobile devices," CEO and cofounder David Lieb wrote in the post. "We are now deeply focused on our new projects within Google, and we've decided to discontinue Bump and Flock."

Both apps will be available on the iOS App Store and Google Play until Jan. 31, at which point the titles will be removed and all user data deleted. Existing users have 30 days to download stored data, which can be accomplished by requesting an export link in-app.

One of the first standout iOS apps, Bump allows users to share various types of data, such as contact information, photos and video, by simply "bumping" two devices together. A subsequent update expanded Bump's functionality to include phone-to-PC transfers.

The app's ease of use spurred development of first-party solutions like Apple's AirDrop and various Android NFC systems. For example, in an update for the Apple TV in September, Apple included a "touch to configure" option. The feature leverages Bluetooth 4.0 to let users perform the initial setup of a third-generation Apple TV by tapping it with a supported iOS 7 device.

Local file transfer has become an increasingly attractive feature for manufacturers to include in mobile device operating systems, especially given current expensive cellular data plan pricing.
post #2 of 58
Removed Bump exactly same day google took over them!

As always, anything google gets their dirty hands on, me delete them!

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

post #3 of 58
"Back in September, we announced that the Bump team was joining Google to continue their work of getting people to expose all their personal information to Google" CEO and cofounder David Lieb wrote in the post.

Fixed it.
post #4 of 58

And nothing of value was lost.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #5 of 58

If I remember correctly, Bump was the one billionth App store download and some kid won a lot of iTunes vouchers.

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #6 of 58
Some analyst should make a chart of apps deleted from smartphones the moment Google buys those small companies.
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
post #7 of 58

I wonder if there's some behind-the-scenes animosity.

The announcement post: Bump and flock will continue to work as they have.

The very next post: Okay, we're shutting down and deleting everything.

Seems like 5 years of work being thrown away.

post #8 of 58
Never heard of either of them.

I used to work for a guy whose business plan was to become a big enough local threat to the major national corporation to convince them to offer him a big fat check to shut down. Sadly didn't work out that way. Can't say that it was a bad model - a former business partner of his in a different state did succeed in that plan but only about a decade after the guy I worked for had sold out his interest in that business and moved back "home" at the insistence of his wife, who later divorced him.
post #9 of 58
Another one in a series of trashy, pointless acquisitions by a clueless company.
post #10 of 58
I never heard of these apps until this article pointed them out. I assume nothing of value was lost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

As always, anything google gets their dirty hands on, me delete them!

But... but...see those ads all over AI? Google.
post #11 of 58
Finally, Android-exclusive apps!
post #12 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

If I remember correctly, Bump was the one billionth App store download and some kid won a lot of iTunes vouchers.
They were indeed the 1 Billionth app downloaded. He also got a bunch of other Apple swag as well.
post #13 of 58
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Google to… …delete all data

Oh, AI. Your sense of humor never ceases to amaze. :lol:

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #14 of 58
Used bump exactly once. It sucked. Just deleted it. Never heard of the other one. Now the only thing tethering me to Google is the fact that I have to use it to log into my icloud/iTunes account. LAME.
post #15 of 58

Don't worry, little Googlers, they'll reappear soon as Bum Fock or something like that.

post #16 of 58
I hate google and their misbegotten schemes.
post #17 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Another one in a series of trashy, pointless acquisitions by a clueless company.

post #18 of 58
Bump wasn't bad tech but unless everyone uses it then you can't rely on it.
Google may be looking to bake it into Android so that all Android phones can easily exchange data.

Apple already has AirDrop but it lacks the intuitive charm that bumping does.
post #19 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

No hate at all. Just puzzlement.
post #20 of 58
Quote:

I imagine it's gonna be what the previous poster suggested: Baked into Android proper. Not the worst idea by any means. Apple thought it was intriguing enough to feature in one of their iPhone ads didn't they?
melior diabolus quem scies
post #21 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:

I imagine it's gonna be what the previous poster suggested: Baked into Android proper. Not the worst idea by any means. Apple thought it was intriguing enough to feature in one of their iPhone ads didn't they?

Perhaps. But then there would be no reason to announce a 'closing down.'
post #22 of 58
Quote:

I wouldn't exactly call it pointless. 

While newer Apple devices do employ Air Drop, which IMO is a more elegant method of sharing files between iOS devices, older ones like the iPhone 4S does not support it. Bump actually filled the gap that Apple left open.

post #23 of 58
Quote:

Riiiight.

Was Boston Dynamics part of the series of pointless acquisitions?

post #24 of 58
Quote:

Perhaps. But then there would be no reason to announce a 'closing down.'

I don't think I understand. If there will no longer be a 3rd party "Bump" app I'd thing an announcement to that effect would be proper protocol. When Apple purchases an app developer then chooses to absorb and shut them down as a 3rd party reseller they also make a public announcement. Remember when Apple bought Siri for instance? They even continued offering the Siri app for some time after the sale closed, not unlike Bump. There's numerous examples of Apple buying up smaller developers to roll their expertise into iOS. When Apple bought Catch the same thing happened, users had until a certain date to download any data they wished to save.
Edited by Gatorguy - 1/2/14 at 7:34am
post #25 of 58

I started using bump way back when I had my iPhone 3G. It was great for sharing contact information with people you meet. Lately, it's only been used for transferring pictures to my Mac. Since Apple STILL hasn't implemented AirDrop support between iOS and Mac, it looks like I'll be back to email... C'mon, Apple! And, no... I don't want to use PhotoStream. 

post #26 of 58

Google adds NFC to their phones, tells everyone it's awesome. People (idiots) start saying "iPhone is doomed unless it gets NFC". NFC sucks so hard that even Google stops bothering 2 years later.

In an attempt to replace NFC, it buys a company who built a sharing app for the iPhone.

Tell us again how NFC is awesome.

post #27 of 58

Funny you should mention NFC. I've had several Android phones over the past couple of years (don't ask): A Galaxy S2, HTC One, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Sony LT28, Xperia Z, and a few more I forgot. Google Wallet never worked on any of them, but I finally got a phone that it works on: an iPhone! Oh, by the way, all the Android phones totally sucked ass. I just needed an unlocked phone compatible with T-mo and that didn't cost a fortune. So glad I no longer have to deal with that crappy OS, and by the way, I only tried Wallet out of curiosity and deleted it right away ;-)

post #28 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordJohnWhorfin View Post

I just needed an unlocked phone compatible with T-mo and that didn't cost a fortune.
The Moto G would fit that T-Mo need in just a couple more weeks. Already available for $100 unlocked 1eek.gif on Verizon and Boost Mobile, with the T-Mo version outed and awaiting final FCC approval. May not be what investors want to see but consumers should like it.
post #29 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I don't think I understand. If there will no longer be a 3rd party "Bump" app I'd thing an announcement to that effect would be proper protocol. When Apple purchases an app developer then chooses to absorb and shut them down as a 3rd party reseller they also make a public announcement. Remember when Apple bought Siri for instance? They even continued offering the Siri app for some time after the sale closed, not unlike Bump. There's numerous examples of Apple buying up smaller developers to roll their expertise into iOS. When Apple bought Catch the same thing happened, users had until a certain date to download any data they wished to save.

But I don’t recall Apple making an announcement that they’re closing down Siri. (A ‘blog’ post of this sort had to be approved at the highest levels – it is pretty much tantamount to an announcement, unless of course, it’s withdrawn.).

post #30 of 58
Quote:

Riiiight.

Was Boston Dynamics part of the series of pointless acquisitions?

I have no idea who/what BD is. Why don’t you tell us what it has contributed to Google.

I certainly know that Android and Moto – perhaps their biggest acquisitions thus far -- have been fairly pointless from the standpoint of contributing to the company’s cash flows. Can you present any evidence otherwise?

Incidentally, I did not say anywhere that all of their acquisitions are pointless. I just said, ‘another one in a series’….

post #31 of 58
Quote:

But I don’t recall Apple making an announcement that they’re closing down Siri. (A ‘blog’ post of this sort had to be approved at the highest levels – it is pretty much tantamount to an announcement, unless of course, it’s withdrawn.).

Google didn't announce the shuttering either. Bump did. Siri did the same thing sometime after Apple had taken them over.
post #32 of 58
Quote:

I have no idea who/what BD is. Why don’t you tell us what it has contributed to Google.

Probably taking us closer to Skynet. Likely it's going to help with self-driving vehicles, so you can watch ads instead of drive. Of course you won't get one until it has an 'i' in front of the name.

Quote:

I certainly know that Android and Moto – perhaps their biggest acquisitions thus far -- have been fairly pointless from the standpoint of contributing to the company’s cash flows. Can you present any evidence otherwise?

Yeah, 20% of Google's mobile ad revenue comes from Android, per this site. http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/03/29/google_earns_80_of_its_mobile_revenue_from_ios_just_20_from_android

post #33 of 58
Quote:

Probably taking us closer to Skynet. Likely it's going to help with self-driving vehicles, so you can watch ads instead of drive. Of course you won't get one until it has an 'i' in front of the name.

LOL. Skynet? Driverless cars? Let’s talk again in 2035. (You’re probably watching too many movies; get a grip).

“i”? I hate BMW’s iDrive.

post #34 of 58
Quote:

Yeah, 20% of Google's mobile ad revenue comes from Android, per this site. http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/03/29/google_earns_80_of_its_mobile_revenue_from_ios_just_20_from_android

As I suspected, you do have serious reading comprehension issues.

Look up Google’s financials to know what its total revenues are, what its mobile revenues are as a proportion of that, and what its Android revenues are as a proportion of mobile revenue. Then calculate a dollar figure. And ask yourself – as honestly as you can – whether it amounts to a hill of beans.

post #35 of 58

Of course you won't get one until it has an 'i' in front of the name.

0. If you're here to crap on Apple, its fans or its customers, you're not long for this forum.

Get out.

post #36 of 58
Quote:

As I suspected, you do have serious reading comprehension issues.

Look up Google’s financials to know what its total revenues are, what its mobile revenues are as a proportion of that, and what its Android revenues are as a proportion of mobile revenue. Then calculate a dollar figure. And ask yourself – as honestly as you can – whether it amounts to a hill of beans.

Do your own stupid research. You wanted evidence of Android revenue.

post #37 of 58
Quote:

LOL. Skynet? Driverless cars? Let’s talk again in 2035. (You’re probably watching too many movies; get a grip).

“i”? I hate BMW’s iDrive.

I spoke of plans, not probabilities.

post #38 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Get out.

You're probably right. I own more Apple devices than anything else, but I can't stand one-sided thinking. I'm here to troll.

Out.

post #39 of 58
Quote:

Do your own stupid research. You wanted evidence of Android revenue.

I asked you for cash flows, not revenues. Do you know the difference?

post #40 of 58

I own more Apple devices than anything else, but

#4: Occasionally preface arguments with "I love Apple, but…" or "As an Apple stockholder…"

Shut up and go away.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google to shut down Bump and Flock apps, delete all data