or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Analyst predicts Apple will transform notebook market with 12-inch hybrid 'iPad Pro' this fall
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Analyst predicts Apple will transform notebook market with 12-inch hybrid 'iPad Pro' this fall

post #1 of 217
Thread Starter 
As part of a series of predictions for 2014, Evercore Partners analyst Patrick Wang believes Apple will show a renewed focus on the enterprise market with a new 12-inch iPad hybrid, which he believes would fundamentally change the notebook PC landscape.

iPad Air
The iPad Air is currently Apple's largest tablet with a 9.7-inch display.


Wang made his prediction in a note to investors this week, a copy of which was provided to AppleInsider. He forecasts that a new iPad model with a larger 12-inch display, powered by an Apple-built next-generation "A8" processor will launch in the fall of 2014.

The analyst sees such a device shaking up the traditional, established notebook market --?an industry that Apple rival Microsoft has been trying, but thus far largely failing, to overhaul with its own hybrid laptop-tablet devices running the Windows 8 platform.

He said such a device would expand the reach of chipmaker ARM, which makes the reference designs for Apple's A-series chips. ARM's gains would come at a cost to Intel, the dominant player in traditional computer chips, resulting in greater price competition, Wang believes.

Retina iPad mini review


In particular, Wang noted that the processor in a MacBook Air is estimated to account for 22 percent of the notebook's bill of materials. In contrast, the processor in a 128-gigabyte iPad is estimated to represent just 4 percent of the total cost to Apple.

Wang sees the 64-bit infrastructure introduced in Apple's new A7 processor -- which powers the iPhone 5s, iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina display -- as a "game changer" that sets the stage for a so-called "iPad Pro." Recent rumors have suggested Apple has been testing touchscreen panels in the 12-inch range for a new product that could launch this year.

Some believe the naming convention of the new iPad Air, borrowing from the MacBook Air, could signal that Apple plans to release a professional-grade iPad, akin to the MacBook Pro in its notebook lineup. A 12-inch display would put such a device in a class closer to Apple's 11.6-inch MacBook Air. To date, all full-size iPad models have had a 9.7-inch screen, while the iPad mini models have sported 7.9-inch displays.

But Wang predicts that Apple wouldn't just simply release a larger iPad -- he sees the company using the additional screen real estate to create a hybrid-style device that could serve as both a tablet and a notebook, and would make the iPad lineup more appealing to business customers.
post #2 of 217
I don't give a wang about his predictions, but a hybrid will never be done by Apple. Never.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
post #3 of 217
I hope this comes out with a touch optimized version of OSX but that's a long shot. I'd buy it on day one if that happened!
post #4 of 217
Does Wang have a credible background for making predictions like this? I mean, i'm not doubting the guys ability to read the palm of my hand but... Most of this sounds like hashed rumors, picked and sorted from 14 other stories out there.

I don't trade or own any stock with the exception of some pension and 401k stuff... But I would not for the life of me trust someone with predictions... Especially for apple related stuff. I dunno. These analysts really have me bored now. It's all I see anymore. I wish I could predict the sky falling and get the masses to listen.
post #5 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

I hope this comes out with a touch optimized version of OSX but that's a long shot. I'd buy it on day one if that happened!
Just curious why you'd want a touch version of OSX?
post #6 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I don't give a wang about his predictions, but a hybrid will never be done by Apple. Never.
There's obviously a reason Apple renamed the current 9.7" iPad to iPad Air. They have something up their sleeve, but my guess is it will be a radically thin and light ARM laptop with retina display.
Edited by Rogifan - 1/3/14 at 8:16am
post #7 of 217
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Just curious why you'd want a touch version of OSX?

 

Because he enjoys things that don’t work.

post #8 of 217

Samsung Mafia Boss: Troops, time to start your copy-machines .... make it 13-inch though!

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

Reply

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

Reply
post #9 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because he enjoys things that don’t work.
There's a reason the current iPad was renamed iPad Air, and the current MacBook Airs don't have retina displays. Apple has something cooking. But if Apple comes out with a hybrid device after Tim Cook has been shitting on them for the past two years then I think we'll know its time for Tim to go.
post #10 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

There's obviously a reason Apple renamed the current 9.7" iPad to iPad Air. They have something up their sleeve, but my guess is it will be a radically thin and light ARM laptop with retina display.

Good point, but I don't think they'll create a hybrid. Steve already said they tried it but that they came to the conclusion that a touch screen needs to be flat, not vertical. So a larger 'iPad Pro' could work, or a ultralight MBA. Moving to ARM for OSX is another discussion on its own.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
post #11 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Just curious why you'd want a touch version of OSX?

Because I like touch screens and I like OSX.
post #12 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

There's a reason the current iPad was renamed iPad Air, and the current MacBook Airs don't have retina displays. Apple has something cooking. But if Apple comes out with a hybrid device after Tim Cook has been shitting on them for the past two years then I think we'll know its time for Tim to go.

Renamed iPad Air to conceptually link the lighter form factor to an already popular product. It was a smart marketing move.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #13 of 217
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Theres a reason the current iPad was renamed iPad Air

 

Yeah, there’ll be a 12” iPad. Bingo.

 
and the current MacBook Airs don't have retina displays.

 

Refusal to engineer? :p

post #14 of 217
The new hybrid device is not a bigger iPad, it's a MBA using A7 chip.
bb
Reply
bb
Reply
post #15 of 217

"Analyst predicts Apple will transform notebook market with 12-inch hybrid 'iPad Pro' this fall"

 

Too late, notebook market has already been transformed. Analyst shmanalyst.

post #16 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Renamed iPad Air to conceptually link the lighter form factor to an already popular product. It was a smart marketing move.

That's true but but they're clearly making room for a Pro model. Apple is brilliant at marketing. They didn't throw on an established brand name modifier only to leave out the complement to that modifier.
post #17 of 217

Whatever. Just wait and see. Cook et al know what they're doing when it comes to hardware and the interfaces that come with it. 

post #18 of 217
If this ends up like MacBook Air with iPad parts and a better price, I'd be quite interested, particularly if it runs OS X. But I doubt I would go for a UI devoid of a keyboard and heavily dependent on a touch-screen. I type a lot, so a keyboard is a must and touch screens are too slow and clumsy for something sitting on a desk.

If I'm going to lug around something that's 12-inches across, I'll stick with a laptop. As Microsoft failed to notice, touch UIs are a compromise. They only make sense when the gadget is small and there's no desk around.
post #19 of 217
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post
The new hybrid device is not a bigger iPad, it's a MBA using A7 chip.

 

So a slower, less-featured MacBook Air?

 

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post
Cook et al know what they're doing when it comes to hardware and the interfaces that come with it. 

 

Do they? They made an iPad too small to be used. A larger one would just be making up for that at this point.

post #20 of 217
The two paradigms of OS X and iOS do not mix; they are meant to be kept separate, not combined into a single touch device. I don't understand why it's taking people so long to understand this. OS X = traditional computer. iOS = tablet. Please don't combine them.
post #21 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


But if Apple comes out with a hybrid device after Tim Cook has been shitting on them for the past two years then I think we'll know its time for Tim to go.

 

Steve Jobs on eBooks: 

 

“It doesn’t matter how good or bad the product is, the fact is that people don’t read anymore. Forty percent of the people in the U.S. read one book or less last year. The whole concept is flawed at the top because people don’t read anymore.”

 

Steve Jobs on video iPods: 

 

"You can't watch a video and drive a car. We're focused on music." 

 

Steve Jobs on an Apple mobile phone: 

 

"I get a lot of pressure to do a PDA. What people really seem to want to do with these is get the data out. We believe cell phones are going to carry this information. We didn't think we'd do well in the cell phone business."

 

Steve Jobs on an Apple tablet: 

 

"Tablets appeal to rich guys with plenty of other PCs and devices already."

post #22 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Renamed iPad Air to conceptually link the lighter form factor to an already popular product. It was a smart marketing move.
iPhone 5 was the thinnest and lightest iPhone ever but but they didn't rename it iPhone Air. There is zero reason to rename the iPad if they're not planning something in that space. I still don't believe it will be a hybrid device ala Surface. Maybe they got some radical changes for iOS that they would apply to a 'pro' device. I don't see OSX going touch ala Windows 8.
post #23 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

The new hybrid device is not a bigger iPad, it's a MBA using A7 chip.

I will never buy an ARM based MBA. I would gladly pay $2K to $3K for a new OSX (with BootCamp) MBA with a retina display but have absolutely no use for anything that runs on an ARM based processor.
post #24 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkerst View Post

The two paradigms of OS X and iOS do not mix; they are meant to be kept separate, not combined into a single touch device. I don't understand why it's taking people so long to understand this. OS X = traditional computer. iOS = tablet. Please don't combine them.

 

Meanwhile, someone out there is inventing (or has invented) a third paradigm.

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #25 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJohnson View Post

Steve Jobs on eBooks: 

“It doesn’t matter how good or bad the product is, the fact is that people don’t read anymore. Forty percent of the people in the U.S. read one book or less last year. The whole concept is flawed at the top because people don’t read anymore.”

Steve Jobs on video iPods: 

"You can't watch a video and drive a car. We're focused on music." 

Steve Jobs on an Apple mobile phone: 

"I get a lot of pressure to do a PDA. What people really seem to want to do with these is get the data out. We believe cell phones are going to carry this information. We didn't think we'd do well in the cell phone business."

Steve Jobs on an Apple tablet: 

"Tablets appeal to rich guys with plenty of other PCs and devices already."
That's Steve Jobs, not Tim Cook.

Tim Cook's not going to do this in 2013 and release one of these confused devices in 2014.

post #26 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

If this ends up like MacBook Air with iPad parts and a better price, I'd be quite interested, particularly if it runs OS X. But I doubt I would go for a UI devoid of a keyboard and heavily dependent on a touch-screen. I type a lot, so a keyboard is a must and touch screens are too slow and clumsy for something sitting on a desk.

If I'm going to lug around something that's 12-inches across, I'll stick with a laptop. As Microsoft failed to notice, touch UIs are a compromise. They only make sense when the gadget is small and there's no desk around.

 

There's the problem right there. Portability.

 

I believe that we are at least 5 years away from fixing that problem.

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #27 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


That's Steve Jobs, not Tim Cook.

Tim Cook's not going to do this in 2013 and release one of these confused devices in 2014.

 

(Devil's advocate time) Unless he throws up a slide showing a nice straight arrow, then unveils his answer to the confused mess that Windows 8 hybrids are.

post #28 of 217
Originally Posted by BobJohnson View Post

[post]

 

What’s your point?

Steve Jobs on refrigerators: 

“Why are you bothering me about refrigerators? We’re a computer company. We don’t make them.”

 

Steve Jobs on cars:

“I like Mercedes-Benz, but we’re not going to make our own. I’m getting a little uncomfortable here.”

 

Steve Jobs on construction equipment:
“Look, just get out of my house. How did you even get in here?!”

 

Originally Posted by Dave MacLachlan View Post
(Devil's advocate time) Unless he throws up a slide showing a nice straight arrow, then unveils his answer to the confused mess that Windows 8 hybrids are.

 

Didn’t he then immediately do that by showing the iPad?

post #29 of 217
No doubt and I'm sure we'll see Samsung come out with something. Apple doesn't have to be first, they want to be the best.

Anyway, the only way I'd see this working is if it switched to touch mode when undocked, and regular desktop/mouse mode when docked, but that would be a mess mostly likely.
post #30 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

So a slower, less-featured MacBook Air?

 

 

Do they? They made an iPad too small to be used. A larger one would just be making up for that at this point.

 

If Apple released a laptop based on iOS it would obviously not be a less-featured MacBook Air. It would just be another option for people who don't want to pay $1,000 for a laptop, prefer an attached keyboard, and don't want to buy a cheap Chromebook or crappy Windows machine. Users needing more would be pushed to the 13" MacBook Pro. The question is whether or not Apple wants to compete in this area. Also, I am not sure calling it an iPad Pro would be a good marketing name, but it seems like that is the obvious choice.

 

I prefer my iPad mini to my full-sized iPad. I don't think it is too small at all.

post #31 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I don't give a wang about his predictions, but a hybrid will never be done by Apple. Never.

Never say "never."

post #32 of 217
That explains the cycle of crap: analysts create these reports and email them to AppleInsider, who dutifully regurgitates it. It's not even a rumor; it's somebody's opinion, analyst PR, turned into an article.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #33 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

So a slower, less-featured MacBook Air?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRun262 View Post


I will never buy an ARM based MBA. I would gladly pay $2K to $3K for a new OSX (with BootCamp) MBA with a retina display but have absolutely no use for anything that runs on an ARM based processor.

 

There's a substantial market for people who spend most of their time on email and web apps, including students, which is why Google and Samsung brought out Chrome OS and Chromebook, actually Chromebook was the product with the highest growth yoy. If Apple sticks a 64Bit super power-efficient processor in a laptop, not only can they now control processor development that suits their OS on Mobile devices, but on laptops too... iWork cloud is a tell tale web app of what's to come from Apple.


Edited by bloggerblog - 1/3/14 at 9:08am
bb
Reply
bb
Reply
post #34 of 217
Wang, it's a parking lot.
post #35 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave MacLachlan View Post

(Devil's advocate time) Unless he throws up a slide showing a nice straight arrow, then unveils his answer to the confused mess that Windows 8 hybrids are.
And I doubt that answer is going to be a convertible iOS/OSX device.
post #36 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell W View Post

Never say "never."

Fair enough. Ok, when they release their hybrid, I think there'll be a doc at the keynote saying to his colleague Jim:

"It's a hybrid Jim, but not as we know it"
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
post #37 of 217
Originally Posted by sseaton1971 View Post

If Apple released a laptop based on iOS

 

See, that’s never happening, so it’s not what we’re talking about.

 

It would just be another option for people who don’t want to pay $1,000 for a laptop…

 

Buy an iPad. Problem solved.

 

Users needing more would be pushed to the 13" MacBook Pro.

 

So you’re not fine with paying $999 but you’re fine with Apple removing that option and pushing an even more expensive one.

 

Also, I am not sure calling it an iPad Pro would be a good marketing name…

 

I don’t like it either; it’s idiotic. One name, one product, multiple sizes. They don’t sell a “MacBook Pro Pro”, after all.

post #38 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Just curious why you'd want a touch version of OSX?

It would be very useful in a convertible.

There is a lot of hate in the forums with respect to convertibles but there are also infinite ways in which Apple could realize a decent solution. Remember most convertibles have failed for the same reason tablets did before Apple delivered iPad. It is all about implementation.
post #39 of 217

"chipmaker ARM, which makes the reference designs for Apple's A-series chips. "

 

ARM does not make the reference designs for the Apple's chips anymore Appleinsider. You guys keep writing that, but it's untrue. They license ARM's ISA, but not the CPU core designs. Apple designs their own chips.

Paul Thurrott on iPad (2010): "Anyone who believes this thing is a game changer is a tool. I'm sorry, but that's just the way it is."

Reply

Paul Thurrott on iPad (2010): "Anyone who believes this thing is a game changer is a tool. I'm sorry, but that's just the way it is."

Reply
post #40 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

I don’t like it either; it’s idiotic. One name, one product, multiple sizes. They don’t sell a “MacBook Pro Pro”, after all.

 

It'll make sense to you when the internals and screen are higher specced than what's in the iPad Air.  Along with the smaller size allowed for by the smaller battery which is itself allowed for by the less power-hungry internals, specs are what differentiate the Macbook Air and Pro lines.  I foresee a larger, widescreen 4K display powered by the A7X (or maybe the A8 though they tend to release A[n+1] with new iPhones) and a much larger battery to support the chip and display.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Analyst predicts Apple will transform notebook market with 12-inch hybrid 'iPad Pro' this fall