or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Analyst predicts Apple will transform notebook market with 12-inch hybrid 'iPad Pro' this fall

Analyst predicts Apple will transform notebook market with 12-inch hybrid 'iPad Pro' this fall - Page 4

post #121 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

I hope this comes out with a touch optimized version of OSX but that's a long shot. I'd buy it on day one if that happened!
Just curious why you'd want a touch version of OSX?

Touch optimized OS X is called iOS; they both have the same OS underneath slightly different UIs.
No problem to have Universal apps that besides an iPhone and iPad touch mode have a desktop/keyboard mode; e.g the core engine of Pages is the same everywhere only the UI has to switch between desktop and touch mode depending on device setup/status.
Totally doable without sacrificing the user experience, just like the same app can switch between iPad and iPhone modes.
post #122 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by st88 View Post

Bay Trail and Haswell Y-series are already on the market. . .

And nobody cares.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #123 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

I hope this comes out with a touch optimized version of OSX but that's a long shot. I'd buy it on day one if that happened!
Why? It would be a worthless clunky piece of garbage like every other Desktop OS shoehorned into a touch device.

OS X is made for Keyboard and Mouse.

iOS is made for touch.

What is it that stupid people don't understand about this ultra-basic and simple concept?

What moron doesn't get that iOS and OSX are both the same OS called Darwin wrapped in a different GUI?
GUIs can dynamically change, just as the OS can dynamically deal with adding a second monitor or the screen going from landscape to portrait orientation:
Open windows get redecorated with different UI elements, menu bar (dis)apprears, etc. happens faster than you can think once the screen gets (un)docked in/from a keyboard.
post #124 of 217
Quote:
The way that some people on this forum are advocating for Apple to emulate and copy a failed concept (like the MS Surface) is laughable.

What a great strategy. Gee, what should Apple do next with it's super successful iPad line? Golly gee, let's borrow features from the least successful device on the market! That ought to be real swell! 

If Apple does release a "convertible", it will be good news for people looking to short AAPL.

There's a difference between failed concept and failed execution.
There were windows tablets long before the iPad, by your logic apple should never have made an iPad because the tablet concept already was proven a failure.
Glad you don't run Apple...
Properly executed there is no need for any compromise, it's just that you lack the ability to think creatively enough, just as if you were an M$ employee...
post #125 of 217
Originally Posted by sseaton1971 View Post

I could see Apple releasing an iOS with a keyboard, which would bascially make it a laptop. 

How, when iOS explicitly exists to not be that?

The problem with simply buying an iPad is that some users really do need a keyboard

Then they should have purchased a laptop. The iPad’s keyboard is just fine.

…some kind of file management…

You don’t get it at all. It’s not 1990 anymore.

Originally Posted by 3doggie View Post
The solution I am waiting for Apple to allow Parallels to run IOS just like it can run Windows.

Enjoy waiting forever.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #126 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

You obviously never used an MBA. Net books are cheap POS with crippled hardware.

Yes, I have and what I said still stands. There isn't much you can do on a MBA that you can't do on an iPad. A 12" iPad would make a MBA a useless netbook. 

Quote:

The MacBook Air is not a netbook.

Its the next generation of netbooks (aka ultrabooks). It really doesn't do much in the end. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #127 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Do you think that Apple has OSX Mavericks, including pro apps like Final Cut Pro 10.1 running on ARM chips?

Do you think Apple has iOS7, including most iOS7 apps, running on Intel chips?

Do you think OSX Mavericks and iOS7 share a 50%-75% common code base?

Any opportunities here?

Apple has all of OSX running on ARM, and all of iOS on Intel, just like they used to have it running on PPC and x86.
Further iOS and OSX have the identical core OS called Darwin, and the same core foundation libraries.
80-90% of the code is probably identical, except one has CocoaUI and the other CocoaTouchUI which can be merged into a single context sensitive version of Cocoa; anyone ever giving a thought why Apple is pushing constraint based auto layout of apps? Because such apps can adapt their appearance automatically if screen size, orientation or UI elements change.
post #128 of 217
Quote:

I could see Apple releasing an iOS with a keyboard, which would bascially make it a laptop. The problem with simply buying an iPad is that some users really do need a keyboard, and oftentimes third party detached keyboards are not a great option. The education market would eat up these devices if it also came with at least some kind of file management (maybe even file server access) and the ability to easily print.

I would expect a device like I am describing to be much less than a MacBook Air ($600-$700 range) and the current 13" rMBP come down in price to right around $1,000. I am sure Apple would still offer the MacBook Air until this happens.

Why not just get an iPad with a case that has a keyboard attached to it, or just get the Apple bluetooth keyboard. This solves the keyboard issue right there. 

Education market is already eating up the iPad market. I know, as I work in IT in a school district. In today's world you shouldn't need to be able to access a local server in order to see your files. There are far better ways to do things. Printing is a non issue with a small program called HandyPrint which works very well. 

I seriously doubt you'll see this kind of device in the $600-700 range. Thats not very much more than the iPad Air. You have hopes and dreams right there. I don't see the need for an MacBook Air if there's an iPad this size. There isn't much the MBA can do that the iPad can't. 

post #129 of 217
Quote:

That's false.

Then explain, don't just say thats false. If you didn't explain, then obviously there really isn't much because otherwise you would have said something other than "That's false". 

post #130 of 217
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

There isn't much the MBA can do that the iPad can't. 

That’s pushing it at this point.

post #131 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Quote:

That's false.

Then explain, don't just say thats false. If you didn't explain, then obviously there really isn't much because otherwise you would have said something other than "That's false". 

Run FCPX, for starters!
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #132 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

There will be no transition.

The way that some people on this forum are advocating for Apple to emulate and copy a failed concept (like the MS Surface) is laughable.

What a great strategy. Gee, what should Apple do next with it's super successful iPad line? Golly gee, let's borrow features from the least successful device on the market! That ought to be real swell! 

If Apple does release a "convertible", it will be good news for people looking to short AAPL.
Exactly my thoughts, I agree 100%.
post #133 of 217

Intel are planning a Windows/Android hybrid this year

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/3/5267360/intel-dual-os-pc-plus-android-windows-microsoft-objection

It certainly makes sense that Apple will do something similar. The real question is whether the ARM chips can run OS X anywhere close to Haswell. Apparently the A5 could just about manage it. A 64-bit quad-core A8 with enough RAM should be able to pull it off, with some performance compromises.

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

post #134 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

I never said iPad will run OSX, nor did I say iOS will run on Intel processors, read again.  And my previous comment assumes that iOS will gain more capability over time and iPad hardware will also get more powerful over time.  Once that happens, there's really no need for a MBA.  The iPad Air will subsume the MBA.  We'll just have to agree to disagree and let time decide who's right.

I agree with you on this.

Like desktop computers, laptops will not disappear, but, in my opinion, the iPad will become more capable over time and, in the process, make laptops less desirable.

In my household, and in a few others I know, the desktop computer is hardly, if ever, used because the iPad will do the majority of the required tasks. I believe the same thing will happen to laptops as tablets do more and more of the work that can only be done effectively on desktops and laptops today.

Edited by island hermit - 1/3/14 at 2:53pm
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #135 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

Intel are planning a Windows/Android hybrid this year

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/3/5267360/intel-dual-os-pc-plus-android-windows-microsoft-objection

It certainly makes sense that Apple will do something similar. ...

No it doesn't.
post #136 of 217
Quote:

No it doesn't.

Wow, you convinced me. What a great argument; well put, quoted all the facts, really coherent.You should quit whatever job you have and become a diplomat, or go into arbitration. Where did you learn such sharp debating skills? 3rd grade?

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

post #137 of 217

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

[…] he sees the company using the additional screen real estate to […] make the iPad lineup more appealing to business customers.

Hahaha! Right… let's see how that works out.

(The following is all based on my actual experience over the last few weeks.)

Week 1: Entered the contact information for Beazley & Co. into the address book. Created an appointment with Carl Beazley for next Tuesday. Tried adding the contact page into the appointment, but for some reason the calendar keeps substituting an arbitrary incorrect address.

Week 2: Asked Maps to remind me where Beazley & Co. is located. It showed me a location in exactly the opposite direction and roughly 20 miles away from the correct location.

Week 3: Have just run the update that appeared on my screen, and was about to put the finishing touches on the promotional document we've been working on with the client but apparently all the formatting tools are gone from Pages and some of the files we linked are missing. Apple says this is necessary in order to upgrade the software. IT says they have never, ever heard of anything like that and question Apple's veracity.

Week 4: Used iTunes to load a couple dozen spots and corporate videos. The iPad is unable to recognize which client some of them are for, which order they should be in for others, and which versions are which. This is despite everything appearing correctly in iTunes and every single file having been prepared exactly the same way, in accordance with Apple's specifications.

Hit the sleep button while placing a quick call for support. Got no useful information (Apple says to go home and reinstall everything from scratch. Thanks Genius, will YOU please ask the client to wait while I do that?). Pressed the physical button again and got a screen with a poster frame and transport controls. Pressed Play. Nothing. Pressed it again. Nothing. Pressed FF and REW and the position slider. Nothing does anything. Had to slide to unlock and open the app and select the series and select the item and press Play, all of which is fine, but then why TF did the unlock screen show transport controls if they don't work? Not exactly "intuitive."

Week 5: Client refers to a web page. iPad won't open the page. try a different site. iPad won't open the page. Try the client's own site, iPad won't open the page. Power down the iPad (which takes about 60 seconds), restart the iPad (which takes another 60 seconds) and pages open fine. Apparently mobile Safari "just does that" sometimes.

Week 6: Laugh until I pee myself over some analyst's suggestion that increasing screen size and adding a keyboard will make an iPad suitable for business applications.

post #138 of 217
Quote:

I like dogs and I like women. I don't want a female dog.

Yeah, that would really be a bitch.

post #139 of 217

What sounds far more plausible is a notebook running on Arm for the cost savings, rather a 12" convertible iPad. They made a big point to say that the new 64 bit A7 was desktop class. So I would imagine the A8 to be even more so.

I see far more demand for a less expensive alternative to the Macbook Air than  12" iPad. An Arm based notebook for basic tasks that would represent a far bigger demographic and be practical for anyone from students to business professionals that do not run Finalcut Pro or need full-blown OSX

post #140 of 217
Quote:

Wow, you convinced me. What a great argument; well put, quoted all the facts, really coherent.You should quit whatever job you have and become a diplomat, or go into arbitration. Where did you learn such sharp debating skills? 3rd grade?

Then you agree. Both our arguments are unconvincing.
post #141 of 217
Quote:

Then you agree. Both our arguments are unconvincing.

No, I think there is a market for a device that covers both the MBA and iPad functionality.

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

post #142 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I also use a fork, spoon and knife when I eat dinner. I'd imagine that if I were invited for dinner by a Surface owner, I'd be given a damn spork to eat with.

That was an excellent analogy and I couldn't stop laughing for almost 10 seconds it was so funny. Great post!
post #143 of 217

They should have accounted the total cost of CPU + Chipset. Which are all going to Intel. Combined together the Cost would be closer to 30% Vs 5% of iPad.

Assuming A8 will be 20nm, which is very likely. A Quad Core 64Bit ARM running at 2Ghz will nailed bottom half of the Notebook Market.   

post #144 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Just curious why you'd want a touch version of OSX?

Because he enjoys things that don’t work.

Over the last year or two I've described at least half a dozen (maybe more) ways that touch on a computer screen would be beneficial and convenient while you cling to ONE liability. You don't even acknowledge that your single objection is not even always an issue.

You've already made it clear that you lack imagination and fear change. Please don't let that cause you to insult those who have the vision to appreciate more flexible use models.

post #145 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Steve already said they tried it but that they came to the conclusion that a touch screen needs to be flat, not vertical. 

Anyone consider the possibility that maybe he was WRONG?

Grab a MacBook Air. Place it close to you. Reach up and touch the screen as if you were sliding something off the screen or scaling an image. It feels perfectly natural -- certainly MUCH more natural than using a trackpad to perform the same operations.

post #146 of 217
Quote:

Good point, but I don't think they'll create a hybrid. Steve already said they tried it but that they came to the conclusion that a touch screen needs to be flat, not vertical. So a larger 'iPad Pro' could work, or a ultralight MBA. Moving to ARM for OSX is another discussion on its own.

Jobs was very much of a salesperson. I mean anyone could tell you it gets uncomfortable to constantly reach out that way. It might make sense in limited circumstances, not for general use. He wasn't an idiot, which is why I say the comment was completely contrived. If they could make it light enough, one that folds back or one with a two sided screen could be interesting. Overall they always talked down anything they didn't intend to do at that exact time. I would agree there's no way they could move off OSX right now. I don't know where they'll go with the two operating systems, but there aren't any obvious options for transition. It's not really interesting to me to speculate 10 or more years out rather than 1-2. At that point you might have something unrecognizable compared to today.

post #147 of 217
Quote:

No, it's the internet. We need to argue, call each other names! /s

I get what your saying but I don't think it's going to happen. I don't think the iPad will ever be able to run "power" programs. The people who buy the MBA are not the same as those buying an iPad.
I believe that really depends on what you consider and where you classify power programs. Also, how many people need/use saiid power programs on a daily basis. MS Office is not a power program suite FYI, considering that 90% of it's functionality and daily use has been available for 15+ years on hardware far less capable than an iPad.

Video and Photo AKA Pushing Pixels comes in 2 flavors these days: pro and consumer. That recent Apple ad for xmas was pretty nice, and the slew of photo apps and their incredibly intuitive UIs on iOS make Photoshop, Aperture/Lightroom and co look downright paleolithic. *I* still need said programs running on the fastest hardware I can afford.... But how many other normal people do?
Quote:

I believe his curt answer was a sad attempt at channeling SJ. Made me chuckle...1smoking.gif
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #148 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Quote:

Steve already said they tried it but that they came to the conclusion that a touch screen needs to be flat, not vertical. 

Absolutely, that is possible. Or people change their stance on something after they discover new information.
Quote:
Grab a MacBook Air. Place it close to you. Reach up and touch the screen as if you were sliding something off the screen or scaling an image. It feels perfectly natural -- certainly MUCH more natural than using a trackpad to perform the same operations.

Try that for 8 hours with a 30 minute lunchbreak halfway.
post #149 of 217
Quote:

Absolutely, that is possible. Or people change their stance on something after they discover new information.
Try that for 8 hours with a 30 minute lunchbreak halfway.

Haha ;p
post #150 of 217
What iPad desperately lacks for the use in the enterprise is a mouse and an interface designed to be used with a mouse. When jailbroken, iPad is capable of being used with a mouse, and utilizing Jump Desktop and a mouse, one gets a pretty solid thin client. A 12" iPad with a mouse can serve 90% of business needs.

Why would consumers buy such a hybrid device? Because it can replace an iPad and a MacBook for most people. Use it as a tablet when consuming and as a laptop when creating content.

The real challenge here is the OS. I believe Apple is working on merging iOS with OS X. Such a hybrid device will have to have a hybrid OS. This is going to be like Microsoft Surface, but implemented with perfection. As for processor and memory intensive tasks, use a Mac desktop.

Right now Apple created a little bit of confusion for consumers with iPads, MacBook Airs, Retina MacBook Pros, and non-Retina MacBook Pros. The product line needs to be simplified. Apple will get rid of MacBook Airs and replace them with iPad Pros. Non-Retina MacBook Pros will be discontinued as well, and the price of Retina MacBook Pros will be further reduced. Most consumers will be satisfied with iPad Pros, which will cost less than Retina MacBook Pros, while being more profitable for Apple than MacBook Pros.

I, for one, would get an iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Mac Mini, and a high resolution monitor (new Apple TV?) to cover all my computing needs.
Edited by sirozha - 1/4/14 at 6:32am
post #151 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirozha View Post

What iPad desperately lacks

Is for someone to understanding the product
Quote:
for the use in the enterprise is a mouse and an interface designed to be used with a mouse

because that has worked so well for MS the last decade
Quote:
When jailbroken, iPad is capable of being used with a mouse, and utilizing Jump Desktop and a mouse, one gets a pretty solid thin client. A 12" iPad with a mouse can serve 90% of business needs.

Right now it's serving 100% of its clients
Quote:
Why would consumers buy such a hybrid device? Because it can replace an iPad and a MacBook for most people. Use it as a tablet when consuming and as a laptop when creating content.

They wouldn't buy that because they are buying separate products for separate uses.
Quote:
The real challenge here is the OS. I believe Apple is working on merging iOS with OS X. Such a hybrid device will have to have a hybrid OS. This is going to be like Microsoft Surface, but implemented with perfection. As for processor and memory intensive tasks, use a Mac desktop.

You don't get Apple. At all.
Quote:
Right now Apple created a little bit of confusion for consumers with iPads, MacBook Airs, Retina MacBook Pros, and non-Retina MacBook Pros.

No confusion here. People buy what they want.
Quote:
The product line needs to be simplified.

Just for you to understand, while the rest of the world perfectly understands their products, and its purposes.

[/quote]Apple will get rid of MacBook Airs and replace them with iPad Pros.[/quote]

You're an analyst?
post #152 of 217
Quote:

Is for someone to understanding the product
because that has worked so well for MS the last decade
Right now it's serving 100% of its clients
They wouldn't buy that because they are buying separate products for separate uses.
You don't get Apple. At all.
No confusion here. People buy what they want.
Just for you to understand, while the rest of the world perfectly understands their products, and its purposes.
I live in a free country, and this is a forum for expressing one's opinions. That's my opinion.

I do understand Apple. I have been successfully investing in Apple for years.

iPad does not serve 100% of business needs. It provides minimum functionality for technical users. I am an IT engineer, and I have almost no practical use for the iPad. Without jailbreaking it, I cannot effectively use it as a Remote Desktop client or a VNC client for work. It can only serve as a last-ditch resort to get into a remote system if I have no laptop handy. Once jailbroken and used with a mouse, the iPad's usability increases dramatically, but it's inability to run multitasking with backgrounding slows one's work dramatically. Same goes for using the iPad as a terminal application client. No mouse and lack of multitasking makes it a pain to use the iPad for work.

Of course if you are watching Netflix or wasting your life on Facebook on the iPad, you are oblivious to its shortcomings as a business-class substitute for a laptop.

Don't get me wrong, if all you do at work is read and reply to emails, which is what managers mostly do, you will never understand the technical challenges that engineers face when trying to use the ipad for work.

I love the iPad as a content consumption device, but it doesn't come close to my MacBook Pro when it comes to doing real work. The two feature that I mentioned - mouse support and multitasking with backgrounding (along with a 12" screen) would allow me to do most of my work on such a hybrid device.
Edited by sirozha - 1/4/14 at 7:04am
post #153 of 217
Quote:

I live in a free country, and this is a forum for expressing one's opinions. That's my opinion.

Couldn't have said it better myself
Quote:
I do understand Apple. I have been successfully investing in Apple for years.

These are two completely different things, but whatever.
Quote:
iPad does not serve 100% of business needs. It provides minimum functionality for technical users. I am an IT engineer, and I have almost no practical use for the iPad. Without jailbreaking it, I cannot effectively use it as a Remote Desktop client or a VNC client for work. It can only serve as a last-ditch resort to get into a remote system if I have no laptop handy. Once jailbroken and used with a mouse, the iPad's usability increases dramatically, but it's inability to run multitasking with backgrounding slows one's work dramatically. Same goes for using the iPad as a terminal application client. No mouse and lack of multitasking makes it a pain to use the iPad for work.

Hence the lack of reason to jail brake it.
Quote:
Of course if you are watching Netflix or wasting your life on Facebook on the iPad, you are oblivious to its shortcomings as a business-class substitute for a laptop.

News flash for you to try to grasp; it's not supposed to substitute it.
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, if all you do at work is read and reply to emails, which is what managers mostly do, you will never understand the technical challenges that engineers face when trying to use the ipad for work.

There are other computers to fulfil this need. Have been around for a long time.
Quote:
I love the iPad as a content consumption device, but it doesn't come close to my MacBook Pro when it comes to doing real work. The two feature that I mentioned - mouse support and multitasking with backgrounding (along with a 12" screen) would allow me to do most of my work on such a hybrid device.

Hang on to that MBP of yours; you're going to need it if you want to remain employed.
post #154 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
Meanwhile, someone out there is inventing (or has invented) a third paradigm.

And they had to write off $900 million for that bad idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by st88 View Post
And that's the current Haswell, this will be facing Broadwell.

No, Broadwell will have to face the Cyclone successor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingela View Post
When introducing the A7, they made a big point of calling it "desktop class." So they must have plans of using future A series arm chips on iOS desktop/laptop type devices. 

I think they meant it can now handle desktop class applications.

Edited by smalM - 1/4/14 at 7:24am
post #155 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalM View Post

And they had to write off $900 million for that bad idea.

Ha ha... that's like saying that the iPad would fail because the Newton was unsuccessful.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #156 of 217
Quote:

The real question is whether the ARM chips can run OS X anywhere close to Haswell. Apparently the A5 could just about manage it. A 64-bit quad-core A8 with enough RAM should be able to pull it off, with some performance compromises.

What are you talking about? Running X86 code on ARM? It will crawl... 

post #157 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Run FCPX, for starters!

Yeah because all consumers buy a MBA to run FCP and professionals just love using FCP on an 11" screen with a ULV processor. How about something realistic in an everyday environment. 

post #158 of 217
Quote:

What world do you live in? Trying reaching out and touching a screen for a few hours and see how your arm feels. Tell me how many times you've pushed the hand rest up in the air by touching the screen. I think you're living in bubble with your own hopes and dreams. 

post #159 of 217

Over the last year or two I've described at least half a dozen (maybe more) ways that touch on a computer screen would be beneficial and convenient while you cling to ONE liability.

I don’t remember any of them, probably because none of them are valid.

You don't even acknowledge that your single objection is not even always an issue.

That’s only because it is always an issue.

You've already made it clear that you lack imagination and fear change.

That’s absolutely hilarious. Do you have any proof of this whatsoever? Oh, you know what actually lacks imagination? “Hey guys, let’s just put a touchscreen on this old design we’ve been using since 1994.”

Reach up and touch the screen as if you were sliding something off the screen or scaling an image. It feels perfectly natural

Aside from the fact that it doesn’t, now do it for eight hours.

What iPad desperately lacks for the use in the enterprise is a mouse and an interface designed to be used with a mouse. 

You don’t have the first flipping clue what the iPad is. Come off it.

Why would consumers buy such a hybrid device? 

Because some people are stupid enough to buy anything put in front of them.

The real challenge here is the OS.

No, it isn’t. They’ve already defeated that challenge. They made a touchscreen OS for touchscreen devices and a cursor OS for cursor devices. There’s a reason that they’re not the same OS.

I believe Apple is working on merging iOS with OS X. 

Right (ish).

Such a hybrid device will have to have a hybrid OS. 

Wrong, because it’s not a hybrid device.

This is going to be like Microsoft Surface…

The scariest thing is that this statement didn’t raise any red flags for you.

Right now Apple created a little bit of confusion for consumers with iPads, MacBook Airs, Retina MacBook Pros, and non-Retina MacBook Pros.

No, not really. You want a laptop, buy a laptop. You want a tablet, buy a tablet. If that’s confusing for you, you really need to stay away from technology.

Now what would actually be confusing is selling a tablet, a laptop, and a tabtop, the latter of which does absolutely nothing correctly.

Right, it’s just wrong, is all.

I do understand Apple.

You think a tablet needs a mouse. You don’t understand Apple at all.

Sounds like you need to buy a laptop… but just refuse to buy a laptop.

post #160 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalM View Post

What are you talking about? Running X86 code on ARM? It will crawl... 

Of course not, you recompile for ARM - Apple have already done this when they switched from PPC to Intel.

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Analyst predicts Apple will transform notebook market with 12-inch hybrid 'iPad Pro' this fall