or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Analyst predicts Apple will transform notebook market with 12-inch hybrid 'iPad Pro' this fall

Analyst predicts Apple will transform notebook market with 12-inch hybrid 'iPad Pro' this fall - Page 5

post #161 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Anyone consider the possibility that maybe he was WRONG?

Grab a MacBook Air. Place it close to you. Reach up and touch the screen as if you were sliding something off the screen or scaling an image. It feels perfectly natural -- certainly MUCH more natural than using a trackpad to perform the same operations.

Ok. Touch the screen then start to type an email on the keyboard then send the email by touching the screen. Then close window then search by typing. Do that for 8-9 hours. How annoying would that be.
post #162 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Ok. Touch the screen then start to type an email on the keyboard then send the email by touching the screen. Then close window then search by typing. Do that for 8-9 hours. How annoying would that be.

Sounds fine to me. Every time I switch from the iPhone/iPad to my MBP I'm always touching the screen and wondering why it won't respond.   :lol:
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #163 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

What world do you live in? Trying reaching out and touching a screen for a few hours and see how your arm feels. Tell me how many times you've pushed the hand rest up in the air by touching the screen. I think you're living in bubble with your own hopes and dreams. 
A touch only interface would be mega fatigue, but touch for some gesture and navigation combined with keyboard and mouse for everything else wouldn't be much of a problem.

censored

censored

post #164 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

Of course not, you recompile for ARM - Apple have already done this when they switched from PPC to Intel.

Old Applications and applications from third parties will not be recompiled.

And at that time Apple switched to a much faster CPU (same when they switched from 68K to PPC).

post #165 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalM View Post

Old Applications and applications from third parties will not be recompiled.

And at that time Apple switched to a much faster CPU (same when they switched from 68K to PPC).

3rd parties will recompile if necessary, just like they did with the previous switches - your first statement is simply not reflected by what has happened historically.

There certainly is a danger of giving up performance, but when when you see that Haswell is 22% of the cost of a MBA, whereas a potential A8 would be a fraction of that, it looks compelling to Apple. Not to mention power consumption... and if you remember the Intel switch, it was all about 'performance per watt'.

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

post #166 of 217
I don't get A lot of negativity
Edited by comley - 1/5/14 at 1:37am
post #167 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Just curious why you'd want a touch version of OSX?

Because iOS 7 is the retarded child of Windows Mobile and Fisher Price.
post #168 of 217
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

He means actual reasons, not fantasy ones with no basis in reality.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #169 of 217

Just IMO, why would a device need to be 12 inches to be considered "Pro"?. Even the Surface Pro doesn't break 11 inches. With Apple's amazing technology I'm sure they could pack a MBP into something the size of an iPad 3. We've already seen how thin they made the iPad Air. My guess is that a 12 inch tablet would be more of a home use and entertainment device, and will probably end up super-integrated into Apple TV

And speaking of the Surface Pro, Apple can throw out all the excuses they want, but there are still going to be MS diehards insisting they stole the name "pro" if that's what they end up calling it. Maybe the Ipad Air S

"And thus, the truth became known"
post #170 of 217
Originally Posted by Emes View Post
And speaking of the Surface Pro, Apple can throw out all the excuses they want, but there are still going to be MS diehards insisting they stole the name "pro" if that's what they end up calling it.

I doubt it, given that Apple has been using “MacBook Pro” since 2006.

post #171 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

Link?
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
post #172 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Yeah because all consumers buy a MBA to run FCP and professionals just love using FCP on an 11" screen with a ULV processor. How about something realistic in an everyday environment. 

Isn't amazing how narrow a view some have of the world? It is laughable that some use running FCP as the litmus test for a machine professional capability.
post #173 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

He means actual reasons, not fantasy ones with no basis in reality.

The real fantasy here is people not realizing that iOS will evolve along with the hardware. The two go together as Apple is very limited by the process technology used in each machines SoC. Just because RAM, flash or the CPU may seem limited for some users those features will evolve or improve in the future.

As for multitasking it doesn't work that bad now. Yeah there are severe system constraints but it isn't impossible to get work done by switch back and forth in apps. That won't likely be addressed in iOS for some time when it is possible to run the required hardware without draining the battery swiftly.
post #174 of 217
Quote:

I doubt it, given that Apple has been using “MacBook Pro” since 2006.

And Bill Gates invented the first tablet, but that didn't stop the world from fawning over the iPad.

post #175 of 217
And Bill Gates invented the first tablet

Oh boy. :lol:

post #176 of 217
There are two things that would open my wallet:

Built in cellular data card

I need a new mac due to age of the current lot.

P.s Tim Cook will drive Apple into the ground for six years before he is replaced by an artist. A supply chain guy was a terrible choice. That's a COO not. CEO. he lacks vision.
post #177 of 217
Originally Posted by ByGeorge View Post
P.s Tim Cook will drive Apple into the ground for six years before he is replaced by an artist. A supply chain guy was a terrible choice. That's a COO not. CEO. he lacks vision.

Thank you for getting the trash out in the first post. Usually it takes a few before you guys show yourselves.

post #178 of 217
post #179 of 217
Quote:

Oh boy. :lol:

"~~Pencept is the company that is credited for creating the first pen/tablet computer. The introduced a line of PCs that used handwriting recognition in 1985. In 2002, the Microsoft Corporation invented contemporary tablets with a digital pen and a Windows Operating System."

post #180 of 217
contemporary tablets with a digital pen

Whatever that source is needs updated.

post #181 of 217
Quote:

The dumbest thing I read all day. ( I haven't ventured to read his other posts)
post #182 of 217
Quote:

Whatever that source is needs updated.
oohh, Ask.com and eHow. Well certainly information sources above reproach then.
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #183 of 217

What I don't understand is why it would be delivered in the fall.

If the EDU market is a primary target, the product would have to be delivered by June, at least, or miss an entire school year.

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #184 of 217
Quote:

To some degree I agree with you...  except for one thing...

... all second place finishers only have half the skill (or less) of Cook.

I'd like to see your list of first place finishers.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #185 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

What I don't understand is why it would be delivered in the fall.

If the EDU market is a primary target, the product would have to be delivered by June, at least, or miss an entire school year.

Not necessarily. We buy things throughout the school year all the time. There isn't enough time in the summer to always get things like this done so its not super important to get it ordered only July 1st when the new school year kicks in. I just deployed a new MacBook Pro lab a couple of weeks ago. Its not really a big deal if you have your stuff together. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5
120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #186 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

To some degree I agree with you...  except for one thing...

... all second place finishers only have half the skill (or less) of Cook.

I'd like to see your list of first place finishers.

I too would be interested to see who exactly is a better fit at Apple. People like to bitch, nobody has the solution though. 

post #187 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

Samsung Mafia Boss: Troops, time to start your copy-machines .... make it 13-inch though!

Apple's the one cranking up its copy machines if this prediction is correct.  Other makers have already released larger tablets and Samsung is expected to announce a 12.2" tablet at CES in a couple of hours: http://ces.cnet.com/8301-35302_1-57616677/samsung-galaxy-tab-pro-tablets-revealed-via-new-images/

For that matter, your line of "thinking" also implies that Apple used its copy machines when it made the iPad mini after seeing the success of the 7-inch Android tablets.

Fact it, innovation comes from many companies, not just Apple.  They have a great product in their mini iPad and I'm glad they made it despite people like you who freak out whenever something gets "copied" from another manufacturer.

post #188 of 217
Great, now I can easily work out which OS I dislike most!

censored

censored

post #189 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by crapplingpain View Post

Apple's the one cranking up its copy machines if this prediction is correct.  Other makers have already released larger tablets and Samsung is expected to announce a 12.2" tablet at CES in a couple of hours: http://ces.cnet.com/8301-35302_1-57616677/samsung-galaxy-tab-pro-tablets-revealed-via-new-images/

For that matter, your line of "thinking" also implies that Apple used its copy machines when it made the iPad mini after seeing the success of the 7-inch Android tablets.

Fact it, innovation comes from many companies, not just Apple.  They have a great product in their mini iPad and I'm glad they made it despite people like you who freak out whenever something gets "copied" from another manufacturer.

Oh please. The 10" iPad was first and any offshoot of that is not copying. What success of 7" Android tablets.

The only reason other have released >10" tablets is because they can't compete with the iPad. Sammy released larger ones because that's its shotgun approach of the product family.
post #190 of 217
Being beaten to the punch in releasing a form factor doesn't equate to copying. Copying is a deliberate act. Some people really need to get that concept through their skulls.

censored

censored

post #191 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by crapplingpain View Post

Alright .... Troops, for now make it 12.2!!! ROFLMO

My friend, on the same note and from your link:

A photo of an incomplete Samsung billboard at the 2014 CES mentions the Tab Pro along with the Galaxy Note Pro, seemingly Samsung's first official hint of the new devices.

You see, samsung is sooooo good at copying and QUICK! It's so easy for a company like samsung to come up with some quick and dirty prototype calling it .... we did it first and it's the next f****ng big thing .... same as their stupid smart watch!

And, that's the ONLY thing they're good at. Fast Copy Machines!

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

post #192 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Being beaten to the punch in releasing a form factor doesn't equate to copying. Copying is a deliberate act. Some people really need to get that concept through their skulls.

Exactly. Tell that to Disturbia who thinks that just because Apple might make a larger iPad then any similarly large Android tablet is the result of copying that move. He's the one who thinks changing the screen size is some kind of unique innovation that no other company would do first, all available evidence to the contrary, of course.
post #193 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

There's a reason the current iPad was renamed iPad Air, and the current MacBook Airs don't have retina displays. Apple has something cooking. But if Apple comes out with a hybrid device after Tim Cook has been shitting on them for the past two years then I think we'll know its time for Tim to go.

You mean like the way Jobs used to do before releasing something?  Nah.

post #194 of 217
Originally Posted by nht View Post

You mean like the way Jobs used to do before releasing something?  Nah.

So… everyone on Earth is now magically a gorilla, and that changed in the last few years, did it?

post #195 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

Touch optimized OS X is called iOS; they both have the same OS underneath slightly different UIs.
No problem to have Universal apps that besides an iPhone and iPad touch mode have a desktop/keyboard mode; e.g the core engine of Pages is the same everywhere only the UI has to switch between desktop and touch mode depending on device setup/status.
Totally doable without sacrificing the user experience, just like the same app can switch between iPad and iPhone modes.

You'd have to buildout another UI as if it were OSX but that would allow your app to be sold in the Mac App Store as well with a simple recompile.

A 12" iPad Pro with keyboard+trackpad (and mouse support) would be nice.  A 13" MBA hybrid heavenly.

The issue is always the transition between modes…thus far I like the XPS 12 the best.

post #196 of 217
Quote:

So… everyone on Earth is now magically a gorilla, and that changed in the last few years, did it?

Apple has a proven track record of being able to effect such changes. Then again I recall you poo-poo'd many of Apple's changes over the years.  Like the iPad Mini. 

Quote:

I maintain that I think it's a completely idiotic decision. I maintain that I see no benefit to it whatsoever. I also think it may be shortly discontinued and Cook and Co. thoroughly (and quite overly, though not incorrectly) blamed for a "bad choice".

So much for that.  The iPad Mini in its second incarnation is a no compromise brilliant tablet.

post #197 of 217
Originally Posted by nht View Post

Apple has a proven track record of being able to effect such changes.

What changes, making people think that physically impossible things are possible? 

Funny that a rabid fanboi like yourself lack faith.

“New is easy. Better is hard.”

no compromise

IT’S AN EIGHT INCH SCREEN. You can’t type on it, you can’t work on it; “no compromise”?! Are you mental?

post #198 of 217
Quote:

What changes, making people think that physically impossible things are possible? 

I don't think the concept of adding touch-screen to a notebook is impossible, just not currently practical. If it added minimal cost to exist as a secondary means of interaction, that wouldn't be so bad. I mentioned the concept of one that could fold back, assuming the design would accommodate keyboard protection. That might be a little un-Apple given the possible hinge designs and methods of dealing with the keyboard. I'm not sure that keyboards without some kind of action are a great idea, because it's difficult to think of applying pressure with no range of motion over a long period of time. Someone has probably studied the topic though. Marvin mentioned the concept of a double sided display where the reverse side could be active when it's closed.

The one thing I don't think is practical is the concept of a front facing machine where the primary means of interaction involves reaching out. As a secondary means it could placate some of the people who always want to point to something on the screen when interacting with others. That is why I mentioned minimal cost. At high cost such a feature may not be worth it beyond gimmicky appeal.

post #199 of 217
Did everyone see the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4":

Portrait orientation, 8" screen, slimmer side bezels. Now I know it's just a rectangle but it looks so iconic and familiar, yet at the same time such a basic and obvious shape. Could they have copied it from somewhere I wonder. Oh that's it, they copied LG:

I'm sure LG's one is unique though, or they'll have made a photo frame in the 90s that has the same shape.
post #200 of 217
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
I'm sure LG's one is unique though, or they'll have made a photo frame in the 90s that has the same shape.

The curvature on the Samsung one is different. In fact, it follows Apple closer than LG, but it’d be great to see LG sue Samsung over it.

We need a corporation-wide product ban on Samsung in this country. 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Analyst predicts Apple will transform notebook market with 12-inch hybrid 'iPad Pro' this fall