or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › BlackBerry sues Ryan Seacrest-backed Typo iPhone keyboard, alleges patent infringement [u]

BlackBerry sues Ryan Seacrest-backed Typo iPhone keyboard, alleges patent infringement [u]

post #1 of 58
Troubled device maker BlackBerry on Friday filed suit against Typo, makers of a new snap-on iPhone keyboard case, alleging that the Ryan Seacrest-backed startup "blatantly copied" BlackBerry's own keyboard.

Update: Typo has issued a statement regarding BlackBerry's suit. The full text can be found at the end of this article.

BlackBerry Q10 and iPhone with Typo
BlackBerry alleges that Typo "blatantly copied" BlackBerry's keyboard.

Typo's keyboard "is a blatant infringement against BlackBerry's iconic keyboard, and we will vigorously protect our intellectual property against any company that attempts to copy our unique design," BlackBerry's General Counsel and Chief Legal Officer Steve Zipperstein said in a release announcing the suit. The company did not specify whether it had been in contact with Los Angeles, CA-based Typo before initiating legal action.

Designed to slip on to an iPhone 5 or 5s, Typo features a small lithium battery to power its backlit keyboard as well as a quick-access feature for entering currency symbols. The company says early testers report faster and more accurate typing than they experience when using the iPhone's virtual keyboard, with some estimating speed increases of up to 50 percent.

The ironically-named keyboard case was announced in December to great fanfare, thanks in no small part to its celebrity backing. At the time, AppleInsider noted the keyboard's familiar composition, saying that it "appears similar to the keyboards on older-generation Blackberry devices."

BlackBerry seems to feel the resemblance is a bit too similar, but Zipperstein's statement appeared to leave the door open for a settlement that would allow Typo to continue production. The Canadian company is "flattered by the desire to graft our keyboard onto other smartphones," he said, "but we will not tolerate such activity without fair compensation for using our intellectual property and our technological innovations."

Typo statement:

We are aware of the lawsuit that Blackberry filed today against Typo Products. Although we respect Blackberry and its intellectual property, we believe that Blackberry's claims against Typo lack merit and we intend to defend the case vigorously. We are excited about our innovative keyboard design, which is the culmination of years of development and research. The Typo keyboard has garnered an overwhelmingly positive response from the public. We are also looking forward to our product launch at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas next week and remain on track to begin shipping pre-orders at the end of January.

post #2 of 58

Huh? Who in their right mind would copy anything from BB?

post #3 of 58
This right after they sacked their Global Creative Director, Alicia Keys?

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #4 of 58

Looks like Ryan, et al, has been hanging out with Samsung. I wouldn't have one on my phone if you paid me but I do see BB's point. I think best thing Ryan could do is license the keyboard patent from BB (if there is one) and then sell a couple hundred and go back to doing what he knows how to do – and stay out of tech.

I wonder, if they waterproofed it, could you surf on it? 

If I am going to put a larger phone in my pocket it is going to be for a larger screen not a mechanical keyboard.

post #5 of 58
Now why didn't Blackberry think to do this? Idiots. They could have made a mint.
post #6 of 58
Fail
Sent From my Space Grey iPhone 5S📱
post #7 of 58
Pfft. Blackberry is trying to say they invented the qwerty keyboard. /s
post #8 of 58
Fail from Seacrest
post #9 of 58

Maybe this guy just salvaged parts from a landfill, currently BB's biggest customer.*

;)

/s

*sarcasm

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #10 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantemichel View Post

Fail from Seacrest

Sounds like a new cologne line

post #11 of 58

Maybe Blackberry has a future as an accessories maker. 

post #12 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Heh. I never thought she did anything at BB. And if she did, it wasn't working.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #13 of 58
BS, how about countless other phones that have those type of keyboards? Come on BB.
post #14 of 58
What im saying is that blackberry should protect their keyboard design 😄
post #15 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwk View Post

BS, how about countless other phones that have those type of keyboards? Come on BB.

I think this is a look-and-feel issue with BB's physical keyboard, not to physical keyboards on phones in general.
Edited by SolipsismX - 1/3/14 at 12:34pm

post #16 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Did you not see the pictures?
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
post #17 of 58
Lol 😄
post #18 of 58

Switch a few of the keyboard's letters around. Problem solved! /s

post #19 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTown View Post

Switch a few of the keyboard's letters around. Problem solved! /s

So it's no longer a QWERTY keyboard? Like putting the letters DEFUNCT on the top row?

post #20 of 58
Quote:

I think this is a look-and-feel issue with BB's physical keyboard, not to physical keyboards on phones in general.

Did Blackberry sue Sammy over the blackjack?
post #21 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Did Blackberry sue Sammy over the blackjack?

I seem to recall they did for trademark infringement but I think the Blackjack looked different enough to not be the same issue as with this Seacrestian accessory. I'll have to look it up to verify.

edit: Not an exhaustive search but the trademark issue is all I noticed, and if you look at the side-by-side they aren't similar looking at all.

Edited by SolipsismX - 1/3/14 at 1:00pm

post #22 of 58
Quote:

Barack Obama uses a Blackberry.
post #23 of 58

THIS..... is American Technology!!!

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

post #24 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

What did Obama copy from Blackberry nee RiM?

post #25 of 58
What if you want to use the phone in landscape mode?
post #26 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

What if you want to use the phone in landscape mode?

Travel to the countryside¡

post #27 of 58

I get it!

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

That just continues the original thought for about half the country. 

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
post #28 of 58
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwk View Post

Correct. The answer lies in the (current) company's name.
“A PC is no bargain when it doesn’t do what you want.” - Apple 2009
“A PC is no bargain when it doesn’t do what you want.” - Apple 2009
post #29 of 58
He definitely copied the BB keyboard, even the QWERTY layout.

/s
post #30 of 58
Quote:

Blackberry was very innovative in their day.  Honestly even today, their server side tools have features that no one else has and their keyboard is one of the best physical phone keyboards I have used.  They just didn't realize that consumers will pay a little bit more for a good experience from your competition (unlike corporate bean-counters).

post #31 of 58
BB are just peeved they didn't think of this. 1biggrin.gif
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #32 of 58

Sadly I agree with Blackberry.....

post #33 of 58
Quote:

LOL ... good one.
post #34 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Sadly I agree with Blackberry.....

What's right is right. There shouldn't be any sadness involved.
post #35 of 58
surprised they still have lawyers.
post #36 of 58
Sounds like Kodak all over again.
post #37 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Bonner View Post

surprised they still have lawyers.

Lawyers are always the last go. They are the bacteria in the hollows of a corpse feeding on the once living body.

post #38 of 58

I didn't know BB keyboards were detachable. Is the font of the characters the same on the keyboard? It sounds like sour grapes from BB. They wish they had thought of it first. 

post #39 of 58
What the hell else is a little chiclet keyboard going to look like, exactly? Maybe Cadbury should sue BB and Seacrest both.
post #40 of 58
Quote:

;) 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › BlackBerry sues Ryan Seacrest-backed Typo iPhone keyboard, alleges patent infringement [u]