or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple concludes '12 Days of Gifts' with Rolling Stones mini album

Apple concludes '12 Days of Gifts' with Rolling Stones mini album

post #1 of 51
For its final freebie of this year's "12 Days of Gift" promotion, Apple gave users a mini album of three songs from The Rolling Stones' concert film "Sweet Summer Sun -- Hyde Park Live," which was recorded in 2013.

12 Days

The trifecta of tunes includes "Tumbling Dice," "Doom & Gloom" and the newly added "Beast of Burden," each performed live during the Stones' 2013 concert series in London's Hyde Park.

While not labeled a soundtrack, the album's cuts are taken from the band's live two-concert performance, which was filmed and subsequently released as a movie last year.

"Sweet Summer Sun" officially brings Apple's "12 Days of Gifts" promotion to a close. For 2013, users in the U.S., Europe and Canada were offered songs, apps, movies, e-books and more through the 12 Days of Gifts iOS app.

An annual holiday tradition, the "12 Days" digital content giveaway was previously restricted to parts of Europe and Canada. This year, however, Apple extended the promotion to U.S. customers for the first time.

After releasing Lorde's latest single as a teaser gift in mid-December, Apple kicked off "12 Days of Gifts" with a collection of Justin Timberlake tracks recorded live from this year's iTunes Festival in London.

Those interested in picking up "Sweet Summer Sun -- Hyde Park Live" can do so via the free 12 Days of Gifts app or directly from the iTunes Store. As with the previous 12 gifts, Monday's release will be available for the next 24 hours.
post #2 of 51
12 useless gifts. OK they are free. You can't please everyone. I would prefer to choose my own. How about Free iTunes Store credits for all those loyal customers who have contributed to Apples huge stockpile of cash? How about giving something back? OK Don't, give it to the shareholders they obviously are more important than the rest of us.
post #3 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaba View Post

12 useless gifts. OK they are free. You can't please everyone. I would prefer to choose my own. How about Free iTunes Store credits for all those loyal customers who have contributed to Apples huge stockpile of cash? How about giving something back? OK Don't, give it to the shareholders they obviously are more important than the rest of us.

I think Tiny Thief is a nice game, but that's 1 out of 12 for me this year. MrCrab was a disappointment, and the rest of the gifts were media for which I have other sources.

post #4 of 51

Worst gifts ever. Won´t bother next year.

Blah blah blah free - I don´t care. Apple was cheap this year.

post #5 of 51

For a company that has that much money Apple surely is a cheap bastard.

post #6 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtacee1990 View Post

And that's assuming that it's Apple paying for the gifts. My experience is that it's the content providers who have to take the hit.

Still, I'm pretty happy with Home Alone. Thanks Apple/20th Century Fox!

post #7 of 51
Thanks Apple! I didn't download all of them, but any gifts are appreciated.

I didn't get much of anything from any other multinational corporations this year, so don't have much time for the ingrates.

censored

censored

post #8 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Thanks Apple! I didn't download all of them, but any gifts are appreciated.

I didn't get much of anything from any other multinational corporations this year, so don't have much time for the ingrates.

I'm getting "free" games with my Xbox Live Gold and Playstation+ subscriptions on a regular basis. Also got some free cloud storage from both Google and Microsoft but those are limited periods so do not count.

I would say the Xbox Live Gold games I got were old too, but so was Home Alone ;)

post #9 of 51
In the U.S. they had Hugo (instead of Home Alone). Hugo, IMHO, is a pretty good movie. One of the few things that I downloaded.
post #10 of 51

It's amazing how much people complained about free stuff this year.  You aren't owed anything!  If you don't like the free stuff, don't download it.  The Sesame Street Season 43 episode that was given away a couple days ago got its rating hammered (like 4x more 1 stars than any other rating) because people were mad that they didn't get something better for free.   Now parents who are actually looking for good entertainment for their children may worry about the quality of the program which isn't reflected at all in its rating.  Why have we become such a society of entitlement??

post #11 of 51
Hugo was the only gift I downloaded. But the amount of bitching over something that was free was disgusting. If you like it, download it, if not, check back tomorrow. But leaving bad reviews for the app because it wasn't what you wanted is unconscionable.
post #12 of 51
Quote:

And guys  like you yammer about how greedy Apple is. Look in the mirror.

post #13 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtacee1990 View Post

And what did Samsung give you this year?

post #14 of 51

This thread is a microcosm of the state of our culture. Bitching about freebies? Really? You people are disgusting.

post #15 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

This thread is a microcosm of the state of our culture. Bitching about freebies? Really? You people are disgusting.

It's all about precedent, last year they did offer some nice apps, so this year (with an even bigger stockpile of cash) and giving away the iWork and iLife suite for free with new iPhones some of us expected more (I could also state it would have been nice to offer it for free for every ios7 upgrader on their announcement, but they're free to give away what they want).

They are not just giving away gifts, they offer a special gift app which raises expectations even more.

One big plus, next year, I'm not expecting anything so should be happy again with whatever they gift.

post #16 of 51
Who's complaining about us complaining about free stuff. Here: it's a gift for you -- my old socks. What? You're complaining? Exactly. These gifts were lame. Better to give nothing than to give 12 Days of Crap.
post #17 of 51
Quote:

And what did Samsung give you this year?

Well I didn't give Samsung money for 1 macbook pro, 1 ipad mini 1st gen, 1 iphone 5, 1 macbook air and 2 ipad mini retina.

post #18 of 51
The sense of entitlement is just mind boggling.
post #19 of 51
Quote:

And guys  like you yammer about how greedy Apple is. Look in the mirror.
I don't yammer much, but I have removed all the mirrors in the house, so perhaps I do. Thanks for your response though.
post #20 of 51
Originally Posted by hydr View Post
Worst gifts ever. Won´t bother next year. Blah blah blah free - I don´t care. Apple was cheap this year.

How stupid can you people be? Honestly. Answer the question. Where do you get off? 

Originally Posted by mausz View Post

this year… …giving away the iWork and iLife suite for free… …some of us expected more

See, I don’t get that. It had nothing whatsoever to do with this promotion.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #21 of 51
@zaba
"How about giving something back?" they did already. you gave them cash and they gave you a product or service in return.

ok, i'm just teasing here.. I agree, Apples 12 days this year were absolute pants. They would have ben better off not doing it. Giving away something, thats already worthless, for free can do more PR damage than doing nothing at all.
no one is giving out about M$ at the moment and their crappy gifts, because they didn't give anything.

Other years were very good with at least 6 or 7 of the gifts being quite good.

Hope they analyse download stats compared to last year and decide to review it for next year,
post #22 of 51
Originally Posted by seanie248 View Post
Giving away something, thats already worthless, for free can do more PR damage than doing nothing at all.

That’s the spirit of the season¡

post #23 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How stupid can you people be? Honestly. Answer the question. Where do you get off? 

See, I don’t get that. It had nothing whatsoever to do with this promotion.

Name calling for stating an opinion? The gifts were nearly worthless, two days with iTunes Festival live bootlegs? Apple were cheap this year, simple as that. What´s your problem?

post #24 of 51

I don't think you quite understand the meaning of entitlement.

If Apple hadn't made an app about giving away free stuff but everyone was going around clamoring that they "deserve" free music, apps and movies that's entitlement. 

Apple advertising this cool 12 days of gifts following Christmas featuring "amazing" free gifts for them to give away very unappealing gifts for at least 11 of the 12 days is disingenuous.  Yeah, it's free so people shouldn't complain but at the same time if you're going to use that argument then Apple shouldn't be advertising it as much as they did.

Apple made it seem like their 12 gifts were going to be highly desirable items and things the masses would enjoy but they got at least 10 strikes depending on who you talk to.  Considering how much data they have in terms of what people like and what kinds of apps people download you'd think they would have done a better job than just giving us Hugo/Home Alone, a few live recordings from their own festival and then a bunch of crap.

post #25 of 51
Originally Posted by hydr View Post

Name calling for stating an opinion?

No, berating for being a ungrateful. It’s not really an opinion; it’s just hatred for no reason.

The gifts were nearly worthless… Apple were cheap this year, simple as that.

Thanks for being the only human being on the face of the planet. I’m sure you’re correct¡

What´s your problem?

Well, your mind-warping narcissism, for starters.

Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post
I don't think you quite understand the meaning of entitlement.

Do you?

If Apple hadn't made an app about giving away free stuff but everyone was going around clamoring that they "deserve" free music, apps and movies that's entitlement. 

And why are you pretending that not making an app is a valid conditional? So no one on or of welfare (the dole, for some) feels overly entitled to it BECAUSE the system exists?!

Apple advertising this cool 12 days of gifts following Christmas featuring "amazing" free gifts for them to give away very unappealing gifts for at least 11 of the 12 days is disingenuous.

No, but pretending your belief is the only one on the face of the Earth is.

Yeah, it’s free so people shouldn’t complain…

Exactly. Argument over.

…but at the same time if you’re going to use that argument then Apple shouldn't be advertising it as much as they did.

Are you completely insane? What does advertisement have to do with free? Do you not remember that car dealerships used to advertise free hot dogs for coming in to check out cars? Would you really be so dense as to complain about the quality of said hot dogs because they were advertised?!

Apple made it seem like their 12 gifts were going to be highly desirable items

Thanks for being the only person on Earth. Hey, maybe you and you up there should get together. I’m sure you’ll have a ball. Maybe even play catch with it.

…and things the masses would enjoy…

And now you’re multiple single people. May as well have a mixer; something tells me there’ll be a spark between you and you!

Edited by Tallest Skil - 1/6/14 at 5:56am

post #26 of 51
I was holding out for a Partridge in a pear tree. So disappointed.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #27 of 51

I guess you're incapable of reading the rest of the thread where a lot of people are complaining about the quality of the freebies then? Ok, noted...

Also, just go over to MR and you'll see tons and tons of people saying "WTF??" about  the gifts. So, no, it's not just me, sorry you can't seem to understand that some of us can actually READ what other people write and realize that when they say "it sucks" they don't actually mean "it's ok, it's free."  By your ridiculous argument no one can EVER say the masses think anything regardless of how many people comment on it. :rolleyes:

post #28 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

Who's complaining about us complaining about free stuff. Here: it's a gift for you -- my old socks. What? You're complaining? Exactly. These gifts were lame. Better to give nothing than to give 12 Days of Crap.

Haha good point. While I don't feel entitled to a free gift, I do think these random offerings are abysmal. I get the feeling from many of apples decisions that they are overly stingy. Like keeping 16gb as the baseline for iPhone and iPads instead of 32gb then 64 then 128. But then I guess apple is a publicly traded company, and they have to please the stockholders. It almost makes me want apple to increase their share buy back program.
post #29 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

I guess you're incapable of reading the rest of the thread where a lot of people are complaining about the quality of the freebies then? Ok, noted...

Also, just go over to MR and you'll see tons and tons of people saying "WTF??" about  the gifts. So, no, it's not just me, sorry you can't seem to understand that some of us can actually READ what other people write and realize that when they say "it sucks" they don't actually mean "it's ok, it's free."  By your ridiculous argument no one can EVER say the masses think anything regardless of how many people comment on it. :rolleyes:

It's the squeaky wheel that makes the most noise.  Even if 80% are satisfied and happy about the 12 Days gifts the ones most likely to post on message boards are the 20% who are unhappy.  Your method is certainly no scientific way to quantify the "masses."  I wasn't thrilled about all 12 days, but I was happy with a few of them and grateful for anything that was free.
post #30 of 51

Touché!

Not all of the gifts appealed to me, so I didn't download them. I totally enjoyed the ones I did download.  Kind of like same-sex marriage. If you are opposed to same-sex marriage, don't have one!

post #31 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

Haha good point. While I don't feel entitled to a free gift, I do think these random offerings are abysmal. I get the feeling from many of apples decisions that they are overly stingy. Like keeping 16gb as the baseline for iPhone and iPads instead of 32gb then 64 then 128. But then I guess apple is a publicly traded company, and they have to please the stockholders. It almost makes me want apple to increase their share buy back program.

Has any other handset maker started using 32gb as a baseline for their premium smartphones and tablets?  Plenty of mid/mid-high phones still start at 8gb and the mid-range 5c gives you 16gb as a minimum.

post #32 of 51

It's the only metric that's available - not the best I'll agree but is there any other way to gauge how happy people are with the freebies?

Should we go look at the reviews for all the free stuff? That's probably even more damming than the % of posters on MR and AI.  Many of them are ridiculous with their points but unhappy none the less.

Yeah, I was glad I got Hugo but with the precedent set from previous years I was thinking there would be more (which seems to be the crux of the argument from most people who were unhappy with it).  Apple also routinely has their "free app of the week" which is quite often a very good game (over Christmas it was Angry Birds 2 - Star Wars which is probably better than all except for Hugo/Home Alone) so they have already set their own bar high.

If this had been the first year of the giving the results would have been much different when once you've set the precedent anytime you regress from that people are generally going to be unhappy.

post #33 of 51
I guess you're incapable of reading the rest of the thread where a lot of people are complaining about the quality of the freebies then?

I guess you’re incapable of comprehending that people who are happy tend not to whine about it.

Also, just go over to MR

Yeah, a troll site sure is a good metric.

It's the only metric that's available

No, but keep pretending whatever you like.

post #34 of 51
Realistically, every single "gift" Apple gave away will be written off on taxes as a marketing expense.

Therefore we (the taxpayers & Apple's customers) are the ones (technically) paying for Apple's largesse.

I was hoping for some good TV episodes. A couple of the games were ok. I already had Hugo.

They should have given "Steve Jobs" by Walter Issacson, or a coupon for the premiere episode of "Better Call Saul".

Oh well. Nobody gets what they want for Xmas anyway...
Edited by vaporland - 1/6/14 at 6:55am
Ask me about.... The 80's!
post #35 of 51

So what metric would you like to use their Skil? Or would just like to pretend that your POV trumps all the others and if you don't agree then any argument to the contrary is crap? Or are you of the persuasion that there's no point in gauging the masses at all? If that's your point then you're probably one who thinks Romney was more liked than Obama it's just that the metric available (voting) is flawed and stupid. 

Also, AI is just as rife with trolls as MR...

post #36 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I guess you’re incapable of comprehending that people who are happy tend not to whine about it.

Coming from the most frequent poster of whiny comments on this site, that quote is a "gift" of true irony...
post #37 of 51
Quote:

Who's complaining about us complaining about free stuff. Here: it's a gift for you -- my old socks. What? You're complaining? Exactly.
Why would I complain? I'd sure as he'll say "no thank you", but what cause would I have to complain about something that has cost me nothing?

censored

censored

post #38 of 51
So what metric would you like to use their Skil?

Downloads, for one. 

Or would just like to pretend that your POV

I don’t recall ever posting my POV. I recall dismissing others’, but not posting my own. Thanks for the political BS, though. It really has a lot to do with what we’re discussing here.

You’re wrong, get over it. You, personally, not liking a gift does not make it a “gift”.

Originally Posted by vaporland View Post
Coming from the most frequent poster of whiny comments on this site, that quote is a "gift" of true irony...

MacRumors is taking new troll applicants. They banned their last batch a few days ago.

post #39 of 51
12 days of Bag of Hurt - except for Hugo which I already had. But did I get another choice? Hell no!
Starbucks gives away better apps and music all year long.

Where's the new Apple TV?

Where's the new Apple TV?
post #40 of 51
Quote:

One persons crap is another persons treasure. :lol:

If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple concludes '12 Days of Gifts' with Rolling Stones mini album