or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › So its Xmas... will iPod be updated ?

So its Xmas... will iPod be updated ?

post #1 of 10
I am currently trying to decide whether to buy my daughter an iPod for Xmas..... but I just have it in the back of my mind that there might be an upgrade to the iPod at MWSF..... is it too early for this.... I havent seen any sign of a 10g version of the same drive from Toshiba.

Interestingly my daughter (15) loves the iPod.... but her first question was, there isnt a cord remote control on the headphones, is there?. Maybe this is what we see at MWSF.... the missing remote?

So, buy or wait.... what do you think ?

Cheers
adam
post #2 of 10
I doubt that they'll release a new version so quickly. Maybe the remote. I say go ahead. It's an incredibly useful little thing.
Favorite Bumper Sticker:
Nuke the Gay Whales for Jesus!
Favorite Bumper Sticker:
Nuke the Gay Whales for Jesus!
post #3 of 10
I don't think they'd refresh it so soon either. I wouldn't worry about buying one now.

One thing though, make sure she is VERY careful with it until you can buy a good case. They are extremely scratch prone.
post #4 of 10
BTW... it's CHRISTmas. It bugs me to hell and back how the modern world has a holiday to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ and can't even put his own name in his holiday... we LOVE to abreviate it for some reason. It's CHRISTmas... this isn't the birth of Jesus X.

I guess I'll sit back and enjoy Martin LK day too.

Mac Guru
"The young people of America need be taught that the only pride they may properly hold is in the content of their character, and the achievements they make. There is no legitimate pride or moral...
"The young people of America need be taught that the only pride they may properly hold is in the content of their character, and the achievements they make. There is no legitimate pride or moral...
post #5 of 10
[quote]Originally posted by Mac Guru:
<strong>BTW... it's CHRISTmas. It bugs me to hell and back how the modern world has a holiday to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ and can't even put his own name in his holiday... we LOVE to abreviate it for some reason. It's CHRISTmas... this isn't the birth of Jesus X.

I guess I'll sit back and enjoy Martin LK day too.

Mac Guru</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think the X thing is Greek, but not positive. Also, its not bad to write xmas. My catholic theology teacher (i go to a catholic school) writes xmas, xty, xian, etc all the time. I have also even seen priests write it. Its not bad to write 'x' in replace for Christ. As i said i think its a Greek or roman or something way of writing it.

About the iPod i don't think it will be updated, probably not till MW Tokyo.
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school." -- Albert Einstein
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school." -- Albert Einstein
post #6 of 10
It might BE a greek or roman way to write Christ but to the average person walking down the street "X" means "to cross out" and it just plain LOOKS bad... I've even seen it on storefronts "HUGE X-Mas SALE!!!". Looks trashy. "Christmas" tells people you at least give enough of a damn to write out his name. I don't think anyone would appreciate being abbreviated for the sake of saving some time.

Mac Guru
post #7 of 10
Thanks for your help - I think I will go ahead and get one.

As for the X.... its not a greek or geek thing.... Its a Mac thing. I regret that the Apple pun was lost on the stodgy conservative that voiced his vacuous concerns on this issue.

Cheers
post #8 of 10
I hate to keep doing this, but:

<a href="http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mxmas.html" target="_blank">http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mxmas.html</a>

[quote]Well, that letter may look like an "X" and walk like an "X" and quack like an "X," but it isn't an "X." That's the Greek letter "chi" which is pronounced about like "ch" was in Old English ... which is to say, about how it's pronounced in German today, or in a few imported words, like "Christ" or "Christmas," for example.

"X" (as in chi) was used as an abbreviation for Christ from early times, perhaps initially as a camouflage for the religion. It was the first letter of the word Christos (meaning "the anointed one," e.g., the Messiah) and fortuitously was cross-shaped, so there seemed to be some symbolism or double meaning. It's been used as a scholarly and not-so-scholarly abbreviation since.<hr></blockquote>
post #9 of 10
I was referring to Mac Guru's comments.
post #10 of 10
So I'm supposed to be a stodgy conservative that voiced his vacuous concerns on this issue.?

I think not.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › So its Xmas... will iPod be updated ?