or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › GM, Audi, Hyundai, Honda, nVidia officially join Google's Android automotive push

GM, Audi, Hyundai, Honda, nVidia officially join Google's Android automotive push

post #1 of 128
Google's bid to counter Apple's iOS in the Car strategy with an Android-based solution gained a new head of steam Monday with the announcement of the Google-led Open Automotive Alliance.

Open Automotive Alliance

Word of the initiative first surfaced last week with a report that Google and German marque Audi would soon announce a partnership aimed at bringing Android-powered "infotainment" systems to the carmaker's vehicle lineup. With the addition of General Motors, Hyundai, and Honda, Google now counts 4 of the top 10 auto manufacturers in the world as backers.

The Open Automotive Alliance appears to be modeled on the Open Handset Alliance, a Google-led consortium that drives commercial development of Android for mobile devices. Chipmaker nVidia is a member of both groups and is so far the only technology company other than Google on the automotive roster.

According to the cabal's website, "timing from each automaker will vary, but [consumers] can expect to see the first cars with Android integration by the end of this year." Talks with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration are said to have already begun.
The world's largest automaker, Toyota, remains unaffiliated.
It is unclear what Monday's announcement means for Apple's iOS in the Car program. GM, Hyundai, and Honda were among the manufacturers previously tabbed as Apple partners and have already announced vehicles sporting the iPhone-powered system for release in 2014.

General Motors sees "huge opportunities for the Android platform" in future vehicles, connected car chief Mary Chan said in a release announcing the alliance. The company began integrating Apple's Siri Eyes Free functionality, a precursor to iOS in the Car, in several 2014 models where it has received "remarkable" customer response.

In the same release, Honda R&D head Yoshiharu Yamamoto said the Japanese marque is "very pleased to join this alliance with Google as a founding member because Honda is committed to providing the very best connected-car experience to our customers." Honda, like General Motors, has already added Siri Eyes Free capability and introduced a new iPhone-powered in-dash system for 2014 Civic and 2015 Fit models.
post #2 of 128
I'm very happy about this announcement, I am in the market for a car this year, and this helps me identify the car brands I will not be buying from.
post #3 of 128
Everyone's Smartphone should be able interface with their vehicle. It shouldn't be Android only or Apple only. An "open conduit" is the best solution in my opinion. That said, my iPhone will have to be fully compatible with my next car. It WILL be a factor in which car I get.
post #4 of 128
Although this won't be how i choose my next car, my lease is up in a year and half and I'm hoping i can get something that connects to my iPhone...

This does seem like a big win for android but I'm sure eventually the car company's will realize that 90% of android users have no idea how to use their phone.
post #5 of 128
I thought a bunch of automakers including Honda were involved in iOS in the car. So how does this work? Do consumers get to chose whether they want iOS or Android in their car? Or will it be model based?
post #6 of 128

This is an idiot move by Audi.  Without Apple integration they will be look at like a cheap car brand.

post #7 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo63 View Post

Everyone's Smartphone should be able interface with their vehicle. It shouldn't be Android only or Apple only. An "open conduit" is the best solution in my opinion. That said, my iPhone will have to be fully compatible with my next car. It WILL be a factor in which car I get.
Is iOS in the car only compatible with iOS devices?
post #8 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I thought a bunch of automakers including Honda were involved in iOS in the car. So how does this work? Do consumers get to chose whether they want iOS or Android in their car? Or will it be model based?

I believe the intent of the OAA is to develop solutions that can integrate iPhones, Android phones, Blackberry, Windows or whatever. I don't think Apple has the same goal.
melior diabolus quem scies
post #9 of 128

CES 2014: GM, Audi, Hyundai, Honda, nVidia…

nVidia makes cars now?

Oh, is that what the Titan is? 

Originally Posted by Bilbo63 View Post
Everyone's Smartphone should be able interface with their vehicle. It shouldn't be Android only or Apple only.

Well, have a platform worth developing for and maybe they’ll develop for it. :lol:

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #10 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

nVidia makes cars now?

Oh, is that what the Titan is? 

Well, have a platform worth developing for and maybe they’ll develop for it. lol.gif
NVidia is working with both Apple and Google on their automotive plans. As it should be IMO but YMMV.
post #11 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

This is an idiot move by Audi.  Without Apple integration they will be look at like a cheap car brand.

What makes you think they won't be able to use iDevices with whatever solutions the Google-led OAA offers? Sounds like an argument without a basis. If I've understood correctly iOS in the Car is meant to supplement manufacturer's own systems for those using Apple devices. The OAA has a different idea in mind.

IMO a couple of posters are commenting by reflex. Android. Bad. Bad Google. Evil.
Edited by Gatorguy - 1/6/14 at 6:57am
post #12 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

This is an idiot move by Audi.  Without Apple integration they will be
look at like a cheap car brand.

So tru, dont they know that people that buy their expencive cars have ios?
post #13 of 128
I fear it will crash my car
post #14 of 128
Quote:

Is iOS in the car only compatible with iOS devices?

I thinks so, but I don't know for sure. My iPhone connects to my KIA Sorento now, but it doesn't do much more than control audio media and phone. (no internal display in my model)

post #15 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForThought View Post

I'm very happy about this announcement, I am in the market for a car this year, and this helps me identify the car brands I will not be buying from.

Exactly. The wife's new Lexus works really well with the iPhone, even Siri control while driving. Connection via your choice of Bluetooth or USB.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #16 of 128

I wouldn't trust an Android device connected to my car. Sorry. Too much malware on that platform.

post #17 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

What makes you think they won't be able to use iDevices with whatever solutions the Google-led OAA offers? Sounds like an argument without a basis. If I've understood correctly iOS in the Car is meant to supplement manufacturer's own systems for those using Apple devices. The OAA has a different idea in mind.

IMO a couple of posters are commenting by reflex. Android. Bad. Bad Google. Evil.
Google isn't going to work on something like this if there's nothing in it for them. No company would. I wonder then how Google is benefiting, unless there's user tracking or car dashboards will now be full of ads...
post #18 of 128
Quote:

partial quote... 1biggrin.gif Android. Bad. Bad Google. Evil.

OMG, you have at last seen the light ... 1wink.gif
post #19 of 128
Quote:

I believe the intent of the OAA is to develop solutions that can integrate iPhones, Android phones, Blackberry, Windows or whatever. I don't think Apple has the same goal.

That's not what the article says and that's never what Google has in mind. All they want to do is to push another way to force advertising onto everything they can. Just think, they'll be able to map everywhere you drive and let the NSA grab their data.

post #20 of 128

Also... what's with all these companies just copying Apple? Apple announced iOS in the car like two years ago when Forstall gave the iOS 6 keynote. Typical of this show... take what Apple invented and try to pass it off as your latest and greatest idea and then claim that it was "obvious". Well, if it was so obvious, why didn't you do it first? Same crap with all these shows.

post #21 of 128
Quote:

Google isn't going to work on something like this if there's nothing in it for them. No company would. I wonder then how Google is benefiting, unless there's user tracking or car dashboards will now be full of ads...

Don't you all see ...? It's so the new Google robots can find which cars to stomp on in the new world order.
post #22 of 128
Quote:

What makes me think that is that they don't say a single word about that level of "openness" on their own website, linked to in the story here. All kinds of other puffery, but nothing about anything but Android.

Perhaps you have other information you could link to.
post #23 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

That's not what the article says and that's never what Google has in mind. All they want to do is to push another way to force advertising onto everything they can. Just think, they'll be able to map everywhere you drive and let the NSA grab their data.

Ether that or simply as another conduit to gather personal data to bolster their real revenue stream of selling ads. I hope that an "Open Solution" doesn't mean that Google gets to harvest my information even while I'm using my iOS device in my car. Google always has an angle.

edit: typos.

Edited by Bilbo63 - 1/6/14 at 7:16am
post #24 of 128

I'll join the ranks of those who will not buy from those vendors that integrate with Android.  It's not a protest thing; it's that I simply cannot have confidence in an automaker that exhibits such an error in design and engineering judgement.

I have enough money to last the rest of my life. Unless I buy something. - Jackie Mason
Never own anything that poops. - RadarTheKat
I have enough money to last the rest of my life. Unless I buy something. - Jackie Mason
Never own anything that poops. - RadarTheKat
post #25 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo63 View Post

Ether that or simply as another conduit to gather personal data to bolster their real revenues stream of selling ads. I hope that an "Open Solution" doesn't mean that Google gets to harvest my information even while I using my iOS device in my car. Google always has an angle.

It would be a logical assumption. These companies need to feel the sting of a backlash against selling out their customers to Google.
post #26 of 128
The way Apple is implementing iOS in the car running on top of an existing in car system..I guess a vehicle can have both Android and iOS possibly..?
post #27 of 128

F**K that! I won't buy any car running freaking google android! Don't need that shit. Not now ... not ever!

ROFLAMO

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Inside Google! 

post #28 of 128
Quote:

Not per this-

http://www.openautoalliance.net/#section_members
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #29 of 128
As commented earlier, the issue of fragmentation and long term support will be a challenge for Android. It is hard to imagine how the manufacturers will be able to maintain the OS given Google orphaning devices 12-18 months old when new OS releases come out.

The legal issues with Oracle, Apple, Microsoft, Nokia, etc., are picking up a lot OS steam. This creates licensing uncertainty that someone at the car manufacturers must be thinking about.
post #30 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

The way Apple is implementing iOS in the car running on top of an existing in car system..I guess a vehicle can have both Android and iOS possibly..?

I 'believe'(ie no proof) that is the intent... but we shall see. There are other rumours that Apple has other things in store for the car. Time will tell.
post #31 of 128
Quote:

From the FAQ:

What is the Open Automotive Alliance™?
The Open Automotive Alliance is a group of technology and automotive companies who have come together to bring the best of Android into the automobile in a safe and seamless way.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #32 of 128

Does OAA respect "DO NOT F***'ng TRACK MY A$$" ?!!  :smokey:

Inside Google! 

Inside Google! 

post #33 of 128
I'm sure this initiative will be just as successful as Google's efforts to bring Android to TVs.
post #34 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

From the FAQ:

What is the Open Automotive Alliance™?

The Open Automotive Alliance is a group of technology and automotive companies who have come together to bring the best of Android into the automobile in a safe and seamless way.

The OAA may well be Android-focused. I doubt that would preclude using iOS devices too but you and a couple of others are absolutely correct that the FAQ's don't comment on other OS's at all. That's not exactly the way it was being talked up by a few folks prior to the official announcement.

Perhaps the automakers will have to use both companies, maybe even something from Microsoft too, if they plan to meet the needs of nearly all car buyers. That would be a shame if there's so little co-operation that the in-car experience ends up needlessly fractured. Hopefully an Android-based info and safety solution would not omit iOS users and vice-versa.
post #35 of 128

If Android "is" the platform, you can bet they will be tracking every iota of information that they can on you. An Android platform doesn't sound open to me. An Apple platform doesn't sound open either.

I'm an iOS guy through and through, but a truly "open" platform will allow any smartphone to connect to the car and do it's stuff. I don't want an Android or Windows experience forced on me, I want an iOS solution. That said other people are clearly fine having Google hijack their personal data and want a Google solution.

post #36 of 128
Yeah... And everybody is telling Me how Apple is behind and stuf like that.
And see ? Apple just made a few minutes presentation at WWDC 2013 and posted some things about iOS in the car to their site... That is enough to provoke a creation of anti Apple alliance with only purpose to destroy Apple in cars before it even started. Just a sneak peek just a few rumors about what Apple will do next are enough to set the entire industry in panic... That is not how industry reacts to an underdog, a company that has fallen behind or "puny Apple in stomach of android".
post #37 of 128
The AI team might ask each OAA member firm:

Did Google has to totally indemnify your firm against all Android Patent Infringement claims from Apple, Intellectual Ventures, Microsoft, Nokia, Sony and all the other world class firms with outstanding and already winning claims against Android?

The answers to this question will tell the whole story.

The OAA is primarily just Google's way of attempting to expand its advertising platform base while hoping that it might finally get an auto company to pay for its mapping services.

Another question: how much of a share in its mobile advertising revenues did Google have to give up in order to each OAA member firm to "sign up?
"?
post #38 of 128

To believe that an automotive company is going to alienate a group of buyers by NOT allowing a popular phone to interface with their system is plain crazy! The lack of emotional intelligence contained in some of these post is amazing. I would bet that if you didn't know that an Android OS was working in a car, you wouldn't have noticed.

post #39 of 128

Get ready for this data that Google collects from your car to be used against you in criminal cases, car accidents, insurance fraud, speeding tickets, ect.

If they can track your car they can monitor how fast you drive.  You could easily lose out on a car accident case with info gathered by Google and handed over to State Farm for a fee.  Google could also use the info to raise your premium rates and tag you a dangerous driver.  They could track where you visit and build a criminal case against you.  Am I paranoid? Yes.  But this type of BS happens all the time.  Google has stolen peoples wifi login in the past for 'research purposes'.  You can't trust these A-holes

post #40 of 128

This is what it says on their website, "With one platform that developers are already familiar with to target (rather than a patchwork of platforms from different automakers), developers will be able to focus on delivering a powerful experience for users."

"One platform" makes me think that they intend to solely push Android...

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › GM, Audi, Hyundai, Honda, nVidia officially join Google's Android automotive push