or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Pebble's new $250 Steel smart watch aims for high end of wearable market

Pebble's new $250 Steel smart watch aims for high end of wearable market - Page 2

post #41 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

I think it was a joke, i.e. Pebble OS, has acronym of POS
No, read back. It was initially a joke, then it was stated that it is a "well-deserved acronym". My question is why say that? Why is POS a well-deserved acronym, implying that the Pebble OS is substandard?

censored

censored

post #42 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Actually, this is the closest to 'non repulsive' that I've yet seen. Decent band and nice watch face. All text screens still look like crap to me.
I'm thinking that the uptake will happen when the following can be accomplished...
1) color screen
2) good resolution
3) good battery life.

With those 3 in place, these things could actually contribute to tasteful fashion. THAT is what will make people wear them. Nothing else.

that is my only hesitation- screen resolution was a problem for larger displays- why do smaller screens suffer now?  i would buy an electronic watch only if it has a colour screen with great resolution and more than six day battery life.  all they did was change the band- not the screen, which is like a gameboy resolution on your wrist.  this is not 1998, and after raising $10mil on kickstarter, i am inclined to think we should get more.

post #43 of 55
/want
post #44 of 55
There's a high end wearables market?
post #45 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotScott View Post

Absolutely and it's worth billions per year.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #46 of 55

post #47 of 55
Originally Posted by khhart2020 View Post
watch… …1 Ghz processor

This tells me two things.

1. The software is horribly bloated and needed this to run at all; it still won’t run well

2. The price is ludicrously inflated due to components far beyond what is needed to do what it can do.

It runs Jellybean, for crap’s sake! And I foresee them getting into trouble with this:

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #48 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This tells me two things.

1. The software is horribly bloated and needed this to run at all; it still won’t run well
2. The price is ludicrously inflated due to components far beyond what is needed to do what it can do.

It runs Jellybean, for crap’s sake! And I foresee them getting into trouble with this:

I wouldn't expect any iWatch to run iOS unless Apple found a way to do to iOS what it did to Mac OS in order to make iOS. But even then I doubt it could be as power efficient enough with IOS than with something that perhaps already runs the iPod Nano OS.

post #49 of 55

You Have No Idea What You Are Talking About.

The standard Android Jelly Bean OS on the SmartQ Watch offers excellent performance.

Also, SmartQ Devices January firmware update upgrades the OS to Android 4.4 Kit Kat

Edited by khhart2020 - 1/6/14 at 9:03pm
post #50 of 55

--

post #51 of 55
Originally Posted by khhart2020 View Post
You Have No Idea What You Are Talking About.

All righty, you’re definitely an advertiser for it, just from post tone.

The standard Android Jelly Bean OS on the SmartQ Watch offers excellent performance.

So is the OS shaved down at all? Was any actual work put into removing the unnecessary APIs that could never possibly be used or was it just slapped into the hardware and booted twice before shipping?

Also, SmartQ Devices January firmware update upgrades the OS to Android 4.4 Kit Kat

It’s good to know that they’re forward-thinking enough to prepare for future bloat.

post #52 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

All righty, you’re definitely an advertiser for it, just from post tone.

Unlike the poster for the camera app yesterday I reported this new poster after their first two posts since they merely copy and pasted the same talking points across multiple threads. I don't see a reason to engage this poster directly based on their comments.
Edited by SolipsismX - 1/6/14 at 10:48pm

post #53 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotScott View Post

Absolutely and it's worth billions per year.

Global Watches Market to Reach $46.65 Billion and Clocks Market to Reach $5.42 Billion by 2017, According to a New Report by Global Industry Analysts, Inc.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/watches/clocks/prweb8358884.htm
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #54 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Global Watches Market to Reach $46.65 Billion and Clocks Market to Reach $5.42 Billion by 2017, According to a New Report by Global Industry Analysts, Inc.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/watches/clocks/prweb8358884.htm

And that's before we consider all sorts of wearable markets like jewelry, clothing and shoes.

post #55 of 55
Pebble Steel sets out to answer the question, 'Can you wear a smartwatch and not look like a social outcast?'

And answered, 'No.'
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Pebble's new $250 Steel smart watch aims for high end of wearable market
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Pebble's new $250 Steel smart watch aims for high end of wearable market