or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › First Look: Typo Bluetooth keyboard case for iPhone 5 and 5s [u]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First Look: Typo Bluetooth keyboard case for iPhone 5 and 5s [u] - Page 2

post #41 of 82
What is it with iPhone 5 series add-on manufacturers hitting a $99 price point for everything they make for the iPhone 5/5S/5C? In some cases the build quality belies a product that might be good for $29.99 perhaps even $49.99 at most. Some are built better, but have other drawbacks that might make the price still seem too high. Honestly, if you got an iPhone 5C, should you want to, you now have to spend the same money you spent on a subsidized iPhone which does a million things for a device that does only one thing and may not even last nearly as long as the phone it was built to support.

Certainly there's some R&D investments going on here among other things that may need to be made back, but, I'm seeing devices like this as being in a very niche market not entirely something that is going to make loads of money for these companies. Sure, once the prices go down (and I'm sure they will sooner rather than later) and the bugs are worked out, they may fly off the shelves a bit better. However, right now I'm not convinced devices like this BB-style keyboard or the various "game controller cases" are going to sell in any record numbers for $100 no matter how good they are. One-trick pony for the price of a 5C Swiss Army Knife? We've been waiting for accessories like this for a while. I say just keep waiting a bit longer.

Samsung Galaxy series: Faster on a benchmark, not in your hand.

Reply

Samsung Galaxy series: Faster on a benchmark, not in your hand.

Reply
post #42 of 82
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
Who was talking about hardware? Not me.

 

Again, stifled laughter.

 

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
Apple offer plenty of choices and configuration options.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #43 of 82
Seems like another laughably useless invention to me.
post #44 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Again, stifled laughter.
You keep laughing at things that aren't funny, which is a mark of a crazy person.

Why do "choices and configuration options" suggest hardware rather than software in your warped little mind? Or is this another case where you keep your own private definitions of common words that everyone else is expected to have foreknowledge of?

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #45 of 82
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
You keep laughing at things that aren't funny, which is a mark of a crazy person.

 

“Humor is not subjective. Finding something funny that I do not find funny is insane.”

 

And you wonder why I laugh.

 
Why do “choices and configuration options” suggest hardware rather than software…

 

Because Apple offers no such choices or configuration options for their software.

 

That sentence really shouldn’t have ever had to be written. You should have just known it. You should know things before typing them. Or at the very least be able to draw conclusions based on things. Context clues, man.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #46 of 82
Apple offer no choices or configuration in their software? Odd that I have all these options in Settings.app then. I must have been imagining it when I turned Control Center off, changed the wallpaper, modified ringtones, added text expansion shortcuts and made numerous modifications to the behaviour of the keyboard.

So, are you going to apologise for calling a legitimate point a strawman then?

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #47 of 82
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
and made numerous modifications to the behavior of the keyboard.

 

Turned on Swype, did you? Neat.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #48 of 82
Are you kidding? The point was that Apple could add Swype as an option and it wouldn't be wholly against principle because the have other choices and configuration options in iOS.

You can't logically use the fact that Swype isn't on the iPhone as an argument for Swype not being added to the iPhone. Unless you are actually insane.

Waiting on any acknowledgement of the false accusation of a strawman argument...

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #49 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Turned on Swype, did you? Neat.

 

See, it really would be nice and natural to have that option. They'd have to call it something else though. iSmear? Sk8board?

post #50 of 82
Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

See, it really would be nice and natural to have that option. They'd have to call it something else though. iSmear? Sk8board?

 

uSeless, ClunkE, etc.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #51 of 82
Apples keyboard is, of course, perfect and could not be improved in any conceivable way.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #52 of 82
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
Apples keyboard is, of course, perfect and could not be improved in any conceivable way.

 

Of course¡

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #53 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Apples keyboard is, of course, perfect and could not be improved in any conceivable way.

 

That's always TS's position about pretty much everything. Really not worth engaging with him. 

post #54 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporland View Post

Getting back 1/2 my screen will be well worth it. the review didn't mention the presence of command keys, so that I can cut, copy and paste without those insipid text hsndles.

 

Getting 40% of the screen back and being able to type @ (and numbers, and...), no matter what UI keyboard would have popped up, without changing virtual keyboards two or three times seems nearly worth it already.  I've got to make some passwords longer instead of full of wacky characters, which is stupid of me, but until then...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

They should have allowed the iPhone to be installed UPSIDE DOWN.

When held upside down, the home button is exposed. So TouchID can be done. And the Swipe-Up screen can be exposed via a swipe down movement instead. The only thing lost is the notifications screen - no big loss.

 

Brilliant.  Really.  That truly is a missed opportunity.  I bet you could flip the case as is and just block the lightning and headphone port... which isn't horrible if you don't mind taking it off to recharge -- and use Bluetooth a lot.  And could figure out how to kludge the power button.

 

I'm going to email them that question.  That's really smart -- wish they'd silently made it flippable or made a flippable version.

post #55 of 82
Wouldn't work. The iPhone doesn't adjust the screen for a complete inversion (the iPad does).

Plus you'd be blocking the earpiece of the phone, the front facing camera, and the ambient light sensor.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #56 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Wouldn't work. The iPhone doesn't adjust the screen for a complete inversion (the iPad does).

Plus you'd be blocking the earpiece of the phone, the front facing camera, and the ambient light sensor.

It's up to the app developer how they handle "complete inversions". Downcast, for instance, flips completely.

Painfully, however, in practice you're more right than I would've expected -- I just tried a few. Mail doesn't flip. Chrome and Safari don't flip. Clear doesn't flip.

I think Downcast must be the only app I routinely use with the iPhone in strange orientations, usually because it's floating around in the car and I'm not looking when I pick it up. Didn't realize so many apps didn't. I figured there'd be a few, and you just wouldn't use the keyboard there. But if it's Mail and Safari, well, that is too bad.

For the ear speaker, you could cut a small hole for it and look like an idiot (I'm not against that, necessarily) or use Bluetooth, but yeah, I guess not that many folks are going to buy a flipped keyboard. 1wink.gif Still wish they'd make it so that you could flip it, just for kicks. Maybe app makers would catch up (though admittedly, it's not like Apple to cater to needs outside of their designs.)
Edited by rufwork - 1/8/14 at 7:05am
post #57 of 82
It's like sticking a propeller on a jet. Go buy a BlackBerry if you need a damn keyboard that badly. Considering BlackBerry's current financial predicament, it would appear that having a physical keyboard on a smartphone isn't quite what it was cracked up to be.
post #58 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

It's like sticking a propeller on a jet. Go buy a BlackBerry if you need a damn keyboard that badly. Considering BlackBerry's current financial predicament, it would appear that having a physical keyboard on a smartphone isn't quite what it was cracked up to be.

 

You no like? You no buy! But I would suggest at least trying the thing first before dismissing it out of hand (I did not especially like the physical keyboard on a blackberry a few years ago, but other people love it. Go figure). As for blackberry, they have deeper problems than the keyboard or lack thereof. The keyboard is a positive for them, unfortunately they don't have too many others.

post #59 of 82
Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

That's always TS's position about pretty much everything. Really not worth engaging with him. 

 

Four hour difference, you see that I explicitly said otherwise, and you STILL felt the need to say these lies? 

Get over yourself.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #60 of 82
And yet you're against even the suggestion of Apple offering an option that is evidently very popular with users. The reason? Anything other than Apple didn't invent it? Perhaps that it's found success on Android? Those two things appear to be anathema to you.

But hurry up and fix iBooks for Mac, that's more important than anything else because it affects meeeeee.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #61 of 82
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
evidently very popular with users.

 

Is it? You’re sure? I’m sure that a working iBooks would affect more users than a broken keyboard option.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #62 of 82
Of course it's popular. It's widely praised.

So let's see... a keyboard that is known to be popular being added as a system-wide usability option onto hundreds of millions of iDevices, or an update to a reading app on 50 million devices (that are a fairly poor reading environment), that corrects some unusual behaviour affecting some users?

Yeah right. Your priorities are completely rational and not at all self-serving.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #63 of 82
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
Of course it's popular. It's widely praised.

 

That doesn’t follow, but you know that.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #64 of 82
What kind of stupid semantic point are you trying to make now? Find me the complaints about it. Go on. Or just shut up, you're so tiresome with this dogma.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #65 of 82

You throw a swipey keyboard and Tasker on iOS, and I'd be happy bouncing between an iPhone and an Android all day long. No religion for me in phones. Again, even just unlocking the keyboard for replacement by an app -- that might even be a big help for accessibility reasons (though I'm not current on what's already available in that arena).

post #66 of 82
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
What kind of stupid semantic point are you trying to make now?

 

That your assumption doesn’t follow. Try to keep up.

 
Find me the complaints about it. Go on.

 

Find me the relevancy. I’m glad you’re getting tired; saves me the trouble.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #67 of 82
If it wasn't popular, why would it be praised so widely? To the point where Android users come onto Apple forums to gloat about it, no less.
if it is unpopular, then there will be complaints. I have not seen any, beyond your snark (I doubt you've ever used it tbh).

My "assumption" (?) follows just fine.

Find you the... relevancy? To your own argument? Wtf are you even talking about now?

The trouble of being tiresome is all yours, and you're making a valiant effort to stretch it out as long as possible.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #68 of 82
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
If it wasn't popular, why would it be praised so widely?

 

Why do widely praised television shows get canceled? Because praise ≠ popularity.

 
To the point where Android users come onto Apple forums to gloat about it, no less.

 

Apple receives more praise than Android, yet the latter pushes more units. You’ve destroyed your own statement.

 
My "assumption" (?) follows just fine.

 

Again, no.

 
The trouble of being tiresome is all yours, and you're making a valiant effort to stretch it out as long as possible.

 

It’s easy. “Forget it, I was wrong.” Can’t be that hard to type.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #69 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why do widely praised television shows get canceled? Because praise ≠ popularity.

Apple receives more praise than Android, yet the latter pushes more units. You’ve destroyed your own statement.
You're blustering again. Swype is active on hundreds of millions of Android devices; it's popular in terms of quantity deployed. It is also widely praised by users and reviewers; it's popular in terms of reception.

You're trying to use semantic confusion about the multiple readings of the word "popular" to manufacture an argument. Unfortunately, Swype fulfills all definitions.

So no, I'm not wrong, you just know nothing about Swype, except that Apple didn't invent it so you don't want it.

Btw, I've never used Swype either, I have no idea if I'd like it, but I'm not such a tool for Apple than I'm opposed to being offered it as an option, especially since whatever recent changes they applied to the current Apple keyboard are causing me problems.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #70 of 82
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
Swype is active on hundreds of millions of Android devices; it's popular in terms of quantity deployed.

 

What is this, an old format SAT? Not only is your initial premise–that praise = popularity–wrong, now you’re claiming that “popularity” = praise! :no::wow:

 

News flash: If all Zorblops are Dimples, not all Dimples are Zorblops. 

 
Btw, I’ve never used Swype either…

 

Keep your “eithers” to yourself. Try using the software before dismissing it.

 

“Does that mean you…” 

 

YES, I’VE USED IT, YOU INSUFFERABLE BIRD. DO YOU THINK I’M AN IDIOT? Why would I hate something I’ve never used?! Why would I argue against Swype’s inclusion in iOS without stating a separate personal belief on the software if I didn’t think it was terrible? It’s not something that Apple would add to their OS. This isn’t Finder Tabs we’re talking about here–a good idea they didn’t add for whatever reason. 

 

“At lengt…”

 

On the recommendation of a friend, I tried it out for several hours for a variety of tasks; yes, I’ve used it at length. As Steve would have said, “It’s shit.”

 

Now for you to claim that my reference to Steve Jobs invalidates my personal belief.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #71 of 82
You've lost me. What are you claiming "popularity" is? My understanding is that for something to be popular it has to be liked by a significant population.

Swype is widely installed, so it checks the population box, and is often praised, so it checks the liked box. What others boxes do you want to be checked?

Not going to respond in detail to the rest of your rant, I don't really believe you anyway, as you've often shown yourself to be disingenuous, loose with the facts, and hysterical with half-baked opinions.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #72 of 82
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
What are you claiming "popularity" is?

 

Nope. It’s what you claimed.

 
My understanding is that for something to be popular it has to be liked by a significant population.

 

So why would you have said “It’s popular in terms of quantity deployed” if you actually believed this, then?

 
…I don’t really believe you anyway…
 

That’s rich. So why would you even reply to me if everything I say is a lie? Come off it.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #73 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nope. It’s what you claimed.
Not sure how that's supposed to be an answer to my question. What are you saying I claimed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So why would you have said “It’s popular in terms of quantity deployed” if you actually believed this, then?
Because it's half the equation, significant population (quantity deployed) like it (praise). Really not sure why you're not getting it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That’s rich. So why would you even reply to me if everything I say is a lie? Come off it.
I reply because I'm bored. I didn't say everything you say is a lie, I'm just sceptical of most of it, especially when you start ranting in all caps.

Are you seriously doubting my sincerity when I say I don't believe you? That's bizarre.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #74 of 82
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
What are you saying I claimed?

 

You can read. Hit up the actual post in which this stuff was said if you’ve already forgotten.

 
Because it's half the equation, significant population (quantity deployed) like it (praise). Really not sure why you're not getting it.

 

Because you haven’t posted any stats as to the size of the Swype rollout or the approval of said userbase.

 
Are you seriously doubting my sincerity when I say I don't believe you?

 

Well, it seems idiotic to reply to someone you don’t trust to say the truth. I’m not questioning your intelligence, if that’s your actual question, but it seems idiotic.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #75 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You can read. Hit up the actual post in which this stuff was said if you’ve already forgotten.

Because you haven’t posted any stats as to the size of the Swype rollout or the approval of said userbase.
Really don't know why I bother when you never prove anything, I guess i'm just better than you.

http://mobile.pcmag.com/?origref=http%3A%2F%2Fen.m.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FSwype#!/article/5177fd9f93e8e4bf7800a81b-swype-ditches-beta-tags-lands-in-google-play
500 million installations, according to Nuance.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nuance.swype.dtc
4 star average rating from >30,000 ratings, and 45,000 separate recommendations.

It. Is. Popular.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #76 of 82
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
4 star average rating from >30,000 ratings, and 45,000 separate recommendations.

 

500,000 to 1,000,000 installs and that many ratings. ‘Kay.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #77 of 82
Ratings and reviews are always low volume in comparison to installs. But you know that of course, you're just trying to muddy the issue.

Lots of users. Average 4 star rating. Popular. We're done.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #78 of 82
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
Ratings and reviews are always low volume in comparison to installs. But you know that of course, you're just trying to muddy the issue.

Lots of users. Average 4 star rating. Popular. We’re done.

 

Magical.

 

It isn’t happening.

 

I told you why it isn’t happening in the exact same post in which I told you it isn’t happening.

 

All you can do is whine about it.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #79 of 82
Whine about what? Adding Swype wasn't my suggestion, I just want Apple to do something to fix the current poor keyboard performance. In-house, out-of-house, I don't care.

You're the one whining about "Apple wouldn't do this, Apple wouldn't do that, Apple don't allow choice or configuration, Swype isn't even popular, I know all these things because I know Apple so much more than you do".

Boring. Just shut up.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #80 of 82
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
I just want Apple to do something to fix the current poor keyboard performance. 

 

Six years of using two keyboard sizes (four, if we’re counting both orientations on both devices), and not once have they performed poorly.

 

Use your own logic. Apple’s keyboard is popular by virtue of being widespread, therefore it’s praised. Or going just by reviews themselves. I’ll bet you far fewer people complain than don’t.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › First Look: Typo Bluetooth keyboard case for iPhone 5 and 5s [u]