or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Director Michael Bay's onstage meltdown steals the show at Samsung CES press event

Director Michael Bay's onstage meltdown steals the show at Samsung CES press event - Page 4

post #121 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

But then you saw the movie.

Lol, more tears
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #122 of 139
This is even more weird. I guess I was tired when I watched the clip last night. He was flustered without the teleprompter when he was suppose to be talking about his job as a director. He was ready to walk off when the other announcer in an attempt to save him probably made it worse throwing in the Curve product, yet in his defense he only asked Bay how he thought it would affect a viewer's experience of his movies. There was absolutely nothing about Samsung or its products that Bay would have had to answer there, he only had to talk about his job as a director and his movies.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #123 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Schadenfreude? Their TV OS is still terrible, especially now compared to what LG has just introduced.

LG is going to use WebOS in their new SmartTV's, abandoning the Laggy Garbage SmartTV 2013 models based on GoogleTV with no App store, they already suckered people into buying. If I wanted the experience of using the internet on a 386, I'd dig out my 386.

Sorry kids, but until Apple releases a TV for Samsung to copy, pretty much all "SmartTV"'s we are going to see are going to be a horrible mess that Sammy and LG continue to trot out and nobody ever will use as anything other than something to connect their home theater to. There is no unified "app" store for SmartTV's, and you're not going to convince average Joe Consumer to replace all their home entertainment gear with the same brand (be it Apple, LG, Sony, Samsung, Sharp, Panasonic, Viewsonic, Acer, Asus etc) because not all of these companies produce every kind of part needed, and much less of them even produce good parts, let alone interoperable parts. Who is their right mind is going to early-adopt a UHD, when the TV manufacturers can't even standardize on a video codec and container format to stream over WiFi using DLNA?

Where the TV companies have dropped the ball is this:
http://www.samsung.com/us/2013-smart-evolution/#evo-home

Yes, this is a nice idea, but what they(all TV manufacturers) should have done is standardized on a "SmartTV Evolution box" that can be plugged into any manufacturer's TV. For 350$ the Smart Evolution Kit is a underpowered joke. Who wants to replace this box every year at 350$ a pop just so they can get the latest GoogleTV experience?

I think we will see another two years of bad starts on "SmartTV" and then Apple will come out with something that people actually want.
post #124 of 139

Do TVs really need their own app store? Can't they just be dumb displays for consoles, iPads, PCs?

The main thing that differentiates the TV from a phone or a PC is that everyone sits around it together, whereas iPads etc are more individual. In other words it is a sharing device. It should just be central thing that lets people share things from their individual devices with everyone else in the house.

post #125 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Do TVs really need their own app store? Can't they just be dumb displays for consoles, iPads, PCs?

The main thing that differentiates the TV from a phone or a PC is that everyone sits around it together, whereas iPads etc are more individual. In other words it is a sharing device. It should just be central thing that lets people share things from their individual devices with everyone else in the house.

Whenever someone says 'apps' for a TV they really mean 'channels'. They would like their favorite channels available as a 'app' and access them via the internet than from a cable set top box.
post #126 of 139
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
Transformers 3
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post
But then you saw the movie.

I think the best part about Transformers 3 is that there’s going to be a Transformers 4, starring Mark Wahlberg. 

I mean, could they have picked a better guy to succeed whoawhoawhoawhoawhoawhoawhoaWHOAWHOAWHOAWHOAWHOAWHOAWHOAWHOAWHOAWHOAWHOAWHOAWHOAWHOA

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #127 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I think the best part about Transformers 3 is that there’s going to be a Transformers 4, starring Mark Wahlberg. 

I mean, could they have picked a better guy to succeed whoawhoawhoawhoawhoawhoawhoaWHOAWHOAWHOAWHOAWHOAWHOAWHOAWHOAWHOAWHOAWHOAWHOAWHOAWHOA

Joey Lawrence?

post #128 of 139
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
Joey Lawrence?

Shia cites him as one of his greatest inspirations.

post #129 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Whenever someone says 'apps' for a TV they really mean 'channels'. They would like their favorite channels available as a 'app' and access them via the internet than from a cable set top box.

I still think a box (or maybe a stick) is a better way to go, just not a cable box. "Smart" TV functionality is largely baked-in, I don't know if anyone has really had upgraded the TV OS after the fact. Even if manufacturers updated their smart TV OS, once they quit, then that's it. A Roku or AppleTV-type box is generally better than what I've seen built into a TV. And if the manufacturer doesn't update anymore, unplug the box and switch to something better suited.
post #130 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I still think a box (or maybe a stick) is a better way to go, just not a cable box. "Smart" TV functionality is largely baked-in, I don't know if anyone has really had upgraded the TV OS after the fact. Even if manufacturers updated their smart TV OS, once they quit, then that's it. A Roku or AppleTV-type box is generally better than what I've seen built into a TV. And if the manufacturer doesn't update anymore, unplug the box and switch to something better suited.

Do new TV's usually have USB ports on them these days? If so, are they powered? I'd like to see something that can attached to the TV so it can be upgraded more often than the TV as well as moved to a new TV. Chromecast is a great device (for the price) but it still has a power supply that needs to be plugged in that hurts it's overall convenience.

post #131 of 139
Quote:

Do new TV's usually have USB ports on them these days? If so, are they powered? I'd like to see something that can attached to the TV so it can be upgraded more often than the TV as well as moved to a new TV. Chromecast is a great device (for the price) but it still has a power supply that needs to be plugged in that hurts it's overall convenience.

Most new TVs do have a USB port that will provide power, that's exactly how I power my Chromecast. I use it mainly for HBO Go which my Panasonic doesn’t have natively.
post #132 of 139
Quote:

I don't even remember if mine has USB.

I think the MK808 stick runs off HDMI power.
post #133 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

On a side note, I watched the presentation SJ did when he flew back early from his Hawaii family vacation b/c of the iphone 4's antenna problem. On short notice, he was brilliant! 1smile.gif

Especially when you think about the fact that he had a toothache but didn't go to the dentist because he thought he could "make it disappear by trying not to think about the pain". Walked around with it for days...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Sorry to photo bomb this thread, but I know lots of regulars will be posting. Does anyone know what's happened to long time poster, "Relic"? Her name is Sonja Gerig, lives in Switzerland, and was in the hospital with possibly terminal breast cancer. She hasn't posted since December 8th and I am worried. I've tried PMing and emailing her to no avail. I believe she was in the Cantonal hospital in Steinhausen. Any Swiss members who can assist finding out her situation would be appreciated. She went to Cal Tech near me in California.

Boy am I glad I'm reading yesterdays' thread. That you have her name is...well, can we take this to the thread she started herself please?
http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/158838/well-it-looks-like-im-no-longer-in-remission/40

I would think some people would like to write their thoughts and feelings in that thread. Thank you for posting; no need for apologies on 'bombing' this thread.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

This same equipment failure has happened to the president and he was reduced to a blubbering incoherent mess.

Just Google "youtube obama teleprompter failure"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGtGwkMSyWU

To err is human

post #134 of 139
Best teleprompter meltdown in the history of recorded media…

post #135 of 139
Quote:

Best teleprompter meltdown in the history of recorded media…

That's hilarious, but did you check out the all hot Latinas in the link provided at the end?
post #136 of 139
...and it's off-line. Darn it
post #137 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

He said his job is that he:

- gets to dream for a living
- creates visual worlds beyond everyone's life experiences
- tries to take people on an emotional ride

but what about the curve Michael, how is the curve on the TV going to impact all that?

Michael Bay: 'excuse me, I'm sorry'

We'll never know.
Teleprompter, my ass. No way Phil would call Batman the Black Knight if he had a teleprompter.

Maybe he got ahold of a bad burrito before he went onstage. He had a pained expression as he skulked off.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #138 of 139

My takeaway:  Transformers 4 is coming?  Cool.

post #139 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordy View Post

My takeaway:  Transformers 4 is coming?  Cool.

My take:  Transformers 4 is coming? Ugh.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Director Michael Bay's onstage meltdown steals the show at Samsung CES press event