or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Director Michael Bay's onstage meltdown steals the show at Samsung CES press event

Director Michael Bay's onstage meltdown steals the show at Samsung CES press event - Page 2

post #41 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

If Mr Bay truly loved this product he would have been able to produce a sentence or two of glowing praise.  I've seen him in press conferences before and he is not a person LOST FOR WORDS.  The guy knows how to hype his movies.  I bet he didn't even see the TV before that day on the stage.  He basically went there for a paycheck and expected to read the words on a screen.  What a fraud.  Just like Samsung.

Face it.  No one really loves Samsung products.  They either buy them because they are CHEAP, they have been FOOLED by hype, or are being PAID to use them.
Trying to look something bad against Samsung in this is ridiculous. The prompters at CES have a problem, it happened again today. Bay was simply caught off guard. He's a director, he doesn't have to know how to do public speeches. This could have happened with many other companies. But yes, I think it couldn't happen with Apple where they do lots of rehearsals.
post #42 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Someone at AI swiped the story and the word "meltdown" from The Verge. Pure laziness. On the other hand, this Samsung event was a delightful moment of schadenfreude for Samsung haters (of which there are many and growing).

Schadenfreude? Their TV OS is still terrible, especially now compared to what LG has just introduced.
post #43 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, it is, which is why I said it.

You can see the screens the presenters use in a few Apple keynotes.

That scrolls the text and has adjustable rate scrolling? I've never heard of either Keynote or Powerpoint of being used in that way.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #44 of 139
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
That scrolls the text and has adjustable rate scrolling?

That’s what practice is for. :lol:

If someone’s totally unfamiliar with the words they’re about to say, would you think they’d want them to scroll past at different rates? You set that up when the presenter has his pace down and knows where he’s going to be faster.

post #45 of 139
Quote:

That’s what practice is for. lol.gif

If someone’s totally unfamiliar with the words they’re about to say, would you think they’d want them to scroll past at different rates? You set that up when the presenter has his pace down and knows where he’s going to be faster.

I noticed they had a 'prompter problem at the Audi event also, but at least they had notes on them in case of a failure.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #46 of 139
Seems like someone has made up their own definition of what a teleprompter is.

censored

censored

post #47 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post

It's mildy amusing, if not the unbelievable hilarity of Qualcomm's keynote last year.

What happened at last year's Qualcomm keynote?

post #48 of 139
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
Seems like someone has made up their own definition of what a teleprompter is.

Yep. And? Get over yourself.

If Bay had used Keynote, he wouldn’t have had this problem. Or practiced at all.

post #49 of 139

IMO, if you're getting paid to offer a laudatory talk on a product, you had darn-well better be prepared to do it, through organized thinking and practice. Clearly Mr. Bay was not.  If, on the other hand, you're a company presenting a staged play, you had darn-well better prepare your cast to do it, through rehearsal and direction.  Clearly Samsung was not.  So, either way, this was a failure. 

Blaming the technology is merely to assign a scapegoat.  I do a lot of group presentations.  I have been trained to mentally prepare for the pitfalls of live performance: I am always prepared to deliver a quality presentation with a memorable message, even in the event of wardrobe malfunction, dead batteries, projection failure, disruptive protesters, or even complete blackout.  My show WILL go on.  And I am not being paid anywhere near what Mr. Bay was being paid.  Hell, I'm just an academic.

post #50 of 139
Quote:

That’s what practice is for. lol.gif

They could have gone over it but it's still a teleprompter which is not the same as the aforementioned presentation programs. If they had Keynote or Powerpoint on a screen it could have still crashed on them and he would be in the same position if he choose not to or wasn't given an opportunity to rehearse.

You do know that teleprompters aren't some obscure item in the world, right? They are used all over the world for presenting news in a natural way which is why. You don't see them at Apple's event because they plan for and memorize their scripts and the Keynote slides they show are facing 'us' not the speaker. It's a completely different concept.

post #51 of 139
After watching that train wreck several times, I get the impression someone at Samsung saw Bay walking around the Samsung booth, he saw their curved TV and said he loved it and they asked him if he'd be willing to go on stage with no prep just to say a few words. Everything seemed so unplanned to the point Samsung would've taken anyone and used them on stage if they were available.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #52 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackgts2002 View Post

In other news... Apple?!?!?? What is this, Samsung insider?

Clickbait Insider.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #53 of 139
You do know that teleprompters aren't some obscure item in the world, right?

Sure. Shame they don’t work very well. ;)

You don’t see them at Apple’s event because they plan for and memorize their scripts…

Is it just because that requires actual work that we don’t see other companies do the same?

…and the Keynote slides they show are facing ‘us’ not the speaker. 

Of course they face the speaker! Again, Apple has televisions embedded in the stage where they can see what they’re doing without turning around, and where they have notes for what’s up.

post #54 of 139
Quote:

They could have gone over it but it's still a teleprompter which is not the same as the aforementioned presentation programs. If they had Keynote or Powerpoint on a screen it could have still crashed on them and he would be in the same position if he choose not to or wasn't given an opportunity to rehearse.

You do know that teleprompters aren't some obscure item in the world, right? They are used all over the world for presenting news in a natural way which is why. You don't see them at Apple's event because they plan for and memorize their scripts and the Keynote slides they show are facing 'us' not the speaker. It's a completely different concept.

This same equipment failure has happened to the president and he was reduced to a blubbering incoherent mess.

Just Google "youtube obama teleprompter failure"

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #55 of 139
Quote:

This same equipment failure has happened to the president and he was reduced to a blubbering incoherent mess.

Just Google "youtube obama teleprompter failure"

post #56 of 139
Quote:

Sure. Shame they don’t work very well. 1wink.gif

Is it just because that requires actual work that we don’t see other companies do the same?

Of course they face the speaker! Again, Apple has televisions embedded in the stage where they can see what they’re doing without turning around, and where they have notes for what’s up.

How would this be practical for news channels, late night talk shows, or more specifically The Daily Show or Colbert Report? Teleprompters have their place. You can't simply pooh-pooh them all and think that Keynote is a viable solution for every presentation need.

post #57 of 139
Quote:

They are now. It was kind of fun to watch the evolution of WWDC from 1997 to 2001. Steve Jobs was still taking developer Q&A in 1997, and fielded some challenging questions from angry developers who thought Steve had no business usurping Gil Amelio. Steve had balls and grace. In 1999, Steve was still flubbing lines, skipping over slides, but the keynote went a lot smoother. The post 2007-era keynotes where pure theater, and Steve was extremely polished as a presenter.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #58 of 139
this is a good cap summary of what happened & Bay's response. It's part of the digital culture even though it doesn't involve Apple directly. Dude. Can I just say what if Apple doesn't come out with a 102 inch TV? With a curved screen? Leaving money on the table, dudes.
post #59 of 139

PS: No matter whether you're the LA Times, The Verge, Business Insider, Fox News, Bloomberg, The Register, or any of the other pseudo-news copycats out there, "meltdown" is the wrong word for this happening.  A meltdown is when something (similar to a nuclear reactor) loses it's cooling capacity and blows up.  Had Mr. Bay left the stage in an explosion of fury, shouting curses and spewing hate, then perhaps "meltdown" would have been apropos.  But all he did was give-up with a polite, if humiliating, expression of contrition and defeat.  Somewhere in the pipeline of news relay, someone waxed it up into an exaggeration of the real event. 

Do we have free press in the USA?  No!  We have merely parrots and provocateurs.  No independent reporting.  As with the proverbial falling tree, one might ask: does the first amendment really exist if nobody uses it?

post #60 of 139
Quote:

Exactly. Haha!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #61 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

They are now. It was kind of fun to watch the evolution of WWDC from 1997 to 2001. Steve Jobs was still taking developer Q&A in 1997, and fielded some challenging questions from angry developers who thought Steve had no business usurping Gil Amelio. Steve had balls and grace. In 1999, Steve was still flubbing lines, skipping over slides, but the keynote went a lot smoother. The post 2007-era keynotes where pure theater, and Steve was extremely polished as a presenter.

1) I think the iPhone presentation was the best he did but I personally think the 2010 iPad presentation seemed too ab-libded and sloppy. He went over the same stuff too, too many long pauses, other minor issues.

2) My favorite Q&A was right before Apple adopted the "Think Different" campaign (I think in 1997). He fielded a question by someone that didn't seem to like Apple doing anything that wasn't completely unique. Steve answered that thinking different is the right mindset. The right mindset is to think better. If that means following in the footsteps of other then so be it.

edit: Found it!

Edited by SolipsismX - 1/7/14 at 9:40am

post #62 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I think 2014 will be the year of Samsung Meltdown.

It would be. On high end, Apple is beating them. On low end, many Chinese electronics firms are catching up with them.

post #63 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Schadenfreude? Their TV OS is still terrible, especially now compared to what LG has just introduced.

Oh god no. LG has the worst, most gimmicky TV OS. It's virtually incompatible with universal remotes like the Logitech Harmony, because functions are accessed using an on screen mouse cursor instead of IR codes.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #64 of 139
How would this be practical for news channels, late night talk shows, or more specifically The Daily Show or Colbert Report? Teleprompters have their place. You can't simply pooh-pooh them all and think that Keynote is a viable solution for every presentation need.

Well, news is really the primary situation, and there they have a guy monitoring the monitors who scrolls it as needed for the newscaster. That’s particularly the 

You know how many mistakes people make in inflection of sentence and pronunciation of words due to the teleprompter. It’s an imperfect solution. Unless it’s a breaking news story that has developed during the air time of the program, is there really a reason to not have it written out properly?

No, I don’t mean to say go back to using big ol’ cue cards. 

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Do we have free press in the USA?  No!  We have merely parrots and provocateurs.  No independent reporting.

Plenty of it. It’s called the Internet.

post #65 of 139
Quote:

Not sure which association is more toxic, Samsung being associated with tasteless, thuggish, leering scumbag Michael Bay, or Michael Bay being associated with tasteless, thuggish, leering scumbags Samsung.

I guess it's a pretty good pairing.

Birds of a feather.....
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #66 of 139
Quote:

Someone at AI swiped the story and the word "meltdown" from The Verge. Pure laziness. On the other hand, this Samsung event was a delightful moment of schadenfreude for Samsung haters (of which there are many and growing).

The tech press view Michael Bay's antics as "upstaging" Samsung, but not reflecting poorly on the company. I think paying a celebrity to throw a tantrum in public does reflect poorly on the brand, as was whatever "teleprompter" issue is being blamed for his behavior. "Live" isn't a valid excuse for unprepared, unrehearsed and a lack of grace under pressure. 1smile.gif

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #67 of 139
Quote:

1) I think the iPhone presentation was the best he did but I personally think the 2010 iPad presentation seemed too ab-libded and sloppy. He went over the same stuff too, too many long pauses, other minor issues.

2) My favorite Q&A was right before Apple adopted the "Think Different" campaign (I think in 1997). He fielded a question by someone that didn't seem to like Apple doing anything that wasn't completely unique. Steve answered that thinking different is the right mindset. The right mindset is to think better. If that means following in the footsteps of other then so be it.

edit: Found it!

Those patched jeans were distracting.  Thanks for sharing.

post #68 of 139

I felt bad for the guy. I used to have similar issue ....

On another note, Samsung sucks. They will always do and their products are never ever welcomed here.

In fact, I ignore any vendor if they support android.

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

post #69 of 139
so, it's samsunginsider.com
post #70 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Trying to look something bad against Samsung in this is ridiculous. The prompters at CES have a problem, it happened again today. Bay was simply caught off guard. He's a director, he doesn't have to know how to do public speeches. This could have happened with many other companies. But yes, I think it couldn't happen with Apple where they do lots of rehearsals.

BS.  Its Samsungs fault for paying someone money to pitch a product and that said person has no idea what the product does.  If Mr Bay even spent 5 minutes using the TV he would be able to come up with at least a sentence or two of praise. 

Bottom line is Samsung thinks throwing money around with celebrity endorsers will lead to sales.  Even though those endorsers have ZERO interest in Samsung products.

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
post #71 of 139

Okay, I gotta say this. Steve would never have done this. When Jobs walked out on the stage he owned the place. There, I said it!

post #72 of 139
Quote:

Sure. Shame they don’t work very well. ;)

So Apple doesn't use a teleprompter. It would be very silly for them to use a teleprompter for the exact same reasons as this Samsung event. If you've ever used one, and don't remember what to say it will actually make things worse when presenting because you're fully relying the teleprompter which is a bad thing because if something happens to it, then you're fucked where you stand. They use Keynote and note cards to give them an idea of what to say. There is a difference you know. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #73 of 139
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

There is a difference you know. 

Yeah. One works and the other leaves you high and dry.

post #74 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

BS.  Its Samsungs fault for paying someone money to pitch a product and that said person has no idea what the product does.  If Mr Bay even spent 5 minutes using the TV he would be able to come up with at least a sentence or two of praise. 

Bottom line is Samsung thinks throwing money around with celebrity endorsers will lead to sales.  Even though those endorsers have ZERO interest in Samsung products.

I wonder how many people even know who this guy is? Maybe 4 out of 10 people?

post #75 of 139
Quote:

Yeah. One works and the other leaves you high and dry.

Exactly!

post #76 of 139
First Obama and now this guy. Will the future be filled with empty-headed celebrities who can't talk without a teleprompter?
post #77 of 139
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
First Obama and now this guy. Will the future be filled with empty-headed celebrities who can't talk without a teleprompter?

“If you tell the truth, you never have to remember anything.”

post #78 of 139
Quote:

Yep. And? Get over yourself.
Nope, sorry, you don't get to do that.

When asked if Apple use a teleprompter you replied "of course they do". That was incorrect. Either you knew it was incorrect and lied, or you just didn't know what you were talking about. Just admit one or the other like a man and stop trying to pass the buck all the time.

censored

censored

post #79 of 139
Quote:

“If you tell the truth, you never have to remember anything.”
What a pile of horse shit. There are lots of facts in the world for a president, CEO or public speaker to remember. You can't even remember what a teleprompter is!

censored

censored

post #80 of 139
When asked if Apple use a teleprompter you replied "of course they do". That was incorrect.

Forgive me, but LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Once again, get over it.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Director Michael Bay's onstage meltdown steals the show at Samsung CES press event