or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Director Michael Bay's onstage meltdown steals the show at Samsung CES press event
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Director Michael Bay's onstage meltdown steals the show at Samsung CES press event - Page 3

post #81 of 139
No idea what you're laughing at, Apple do not use one of those.

If you genuinely think they do, what was all that rabbiting about Keynote earlier? And you'd be wrong.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #82 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Forgive me, but LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL




Once again, get over it.

Now tell us the part where Apple makes TV shows and movies.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #83 of 139
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
Now tell us the part where Apple makes TV shows and movies.


Apple’s explosions would be more realistic than Bay’s explosions.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #84 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Apple’s explosions would be more realistic than Bay’s explosions.

Thanks, that actually made me laugh.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #85 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

My favourite South Park scene…
 

CES is not the first time that Michael Bay's preparation leaves something to be desired.

 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2148950/Transformers-3-Gabriella-Cedillo-receives-18m-head-injuries-stunt.html

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply
post #86 of 139
INTERESTING HOW SAMSUNG REPORTS FALLS SHORT AND DISAPPOINT AND AAPL SHARES DROP
post #87 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Oh god no. LG has the worst, most gimmicky TV OS. It's virtually incompatible with universal remotes like the Logitech Harmony, because functions are accessed using an on screen mouse cursor instead of IR codes.

Will you say that's a bad thing if Apple does the same thing? Saying that it's bad because other remotes don't work with it is not an argument. Who cares for universal remotes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

BS.  Its Samsungs fault for paying someone money to pitch a product and that said person has no idea what the product does.  If Mr Bay even spent 5 minutes using the TV he would be able to come up with at least a sentence or two of praise. 

Bottom line is Samsung thinks throwing money around with celebrity endorsers will lead to sales.  Even though those endorsers have ZERO interest in Samsung products.
Just like with so many celebrities called to 'talk' about a product. I'm not saying it's a good thing, but Samsung is far from being the only company doing this.
post #88 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binkwilder View Post

INTERESTING HOW SAMSUNG REPORTS FALLS SHORT AND DISAPPOINT AND AAPL SHARES DROP
It's because the only way Samsung could possibly underachieve is if Apple reduced their orders for Samsung parts, which is very likely to happen because Apple is doomed.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #89 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

CES is not the first time that Michael Bay's preparation leaves something to be desired.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2148950/Transformers-3-Gabriella-Cedillo-receives-18m-head-injuries-stunt.html

Interesting. I wonder how Gabriella Cedillo is doing today since they don't mention the severity of the brain damage.

Also, the video was pulled from that link but I found it on YouTube. I can't see what happens but you can definitely see a damaged car on the side of the road toward the end of the video.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #90 of 139

I've been to 57 states, with one more to go I think, and rarely have I seen such an embarrassing teleprompter fail. 

 

Michael Bay should run for public office, he has the necessary skills required.

post #91 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I've been to 57 states, with one more to go I think, and rarely have I seen such an embarrassing teleprompter fail. 

Michael Bay should run for public office, he has the necessary skills required.

Please oh please name those 57 states.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #92 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyteProsector View Post

I think the word meltdown is a little strong.

 

Especially since he apologized multiple times.

post #93 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I wonder how many people even know who this guy is? Maybe 4 out of 10 people?

Depends on your audience. For CES, I bet a lot more than 75% know who he is because he's responsible for destroying Transformers.
post #94 of 139
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
Please oh please name those 57 states.

 

Existing 50 plus Puerto Rico (which will become a state July 4 this year or Congress will need to be sued), Cuba, Sonora (present day Sonora and both Baja Californias), Chihuahua, Nuevo Leon (present day Nuevo Leon and Coahuila), Tamaulipas, and Columbia (present day British Columbia).

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #95 of 139

I would like to share a simple trick for those who have ever complained that an article didn't seem relevant to them. Read the headline and look for key words that interest you ... if there aren't any, then don't read the article. Problem solved!

 

Now if only the repetitive "this article wasn't relevant to me" comments could be so easily skipped over...

post #96 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


Depends on your audience. For CES, I bet a lot more than 75% know who he is because he's responsible for destroying Transformers.

 

I meant consumers, not media outlets. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #97 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Please oh please name those 57 states.

 

I didn't think that I'd actually need to explain, but I was actually channeling another famous public speaker who is known for numerous gaffes, teleprompter fails and somebody who is also susceptible to saying stupid crap.

 

By the way, I see in your sig that it says, RIP jragosta. I haven't been around here that much lately, but he's dead?

post #98 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I meant consumers, not media outlets. 

Well aren't there non-media consumers at CES?
post #99 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Interesting. I wonder how Gabriella Cedillo is doing today since they don't mention the severity of the brain damage.

Also, the video was pulled from that link but I found it on YouTube. I can't see what happens but you can definitely see a damaged car on the side of the road toward the end of the video.
 

We probably won't hear much more about her unless some Chicago newspaper or broadcaster does a follow-up. See this link (which may or may not play outside the U.S.):

 

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/185-M-Settlement-for-Injured-Transformers-Extra-153129535.html

 

It's been almost four years since the accident and more than 18 months since the settlement. At least she received inpatient rehab care at one of the leading sites in the country, the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago (RIC). But she would not be a resident there forever, so by now she may well be at home or in an assisted living setting where she can receive around-the-clock care and continuing rehab. The settlement was by no means extravagant with today's costs, because between the lines you can conclude that she will not regain 100% functionality and in all likelihood will need significant  and costly assistance for the rest of her life. When I think of Gabriella Cedillo, I think of a similar first name, Gabrielle Giffords, and the long-term impact of the traumatic brain injury that she sustained.


Edited by Kibitzer - 1/7/14 at 12:04pm

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply
post #100 of 139
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

By the way, I see in your sig that it says, RIP jragosta. I haven't been around here that much lately, but he's dead?

 

Yes, Solipsism informed us of such. I don’t believe we know the cause of death, but he posted up to the day before, so it may have been sudden.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #101 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Existing 50 plus Puerto Rico (which will become a state July 4 this year or Congress will need to be sued), Cuba, Sonora (present day Sonora and both Baja Californias), Chihuahua, Nuevo Leon (present day Nuevo Leon and Coahuila), Tamaulipas, and Columbia (present day British Columbia).

Nice work but I think his extra 7 might have just might have been drug induced. lol.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #102 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I didn't think that I'd actually need to explain, but I was actually channeling another famous public speaker who is known for numerous gaffes, teleprompter fails and somebody who is also susceptible to saying stupid crap.

By the way, I see in your sig that it says, RIP jragosta. I haven't been around here that much lately, but he's dead?

I figured there was a story behind it or at the very least a typo, but I couldn't help myself.

Unfortunately and sadly jragosta is no longer with us. I believe Tallest Skil posted the link to his obit.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #103 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Yes, Solipsism informed us of such. I don’t believe we know the cause of death, but he posted up to the day before, so it may have been sudden.

 

Oh, ok. Wow. I didn't really know the guy, but I do remember him well from his postings here. 

 

All I can say is RIP.

post #104 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


I figured there was a story behind it or at the very least a typo, but I couldn't help myself.

Unfortunately and sadly jragosta is no longer with us. I believe Tallest Skil posted the link to his obit.

 

If you're further curious, then here's the video proof.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpGH02DtIws

 

And yes, I see Tallest Skil's link. Thanks.

post #105 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

If you're further curious, then here's the video proof.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpGH02DtIws

And yes, I see Tallest Skil's link. Thanks.

That's classic, and what makes it even funnier is that he excludes Alaska and Hawaii. lol.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #106 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

That's classic, and what makes it even funnier is that he excludes Alaska and Hawaii. lol.gif
Think it's pretty clear he meant 47, with one more to go, and excluding Alaska and Hawaii from the total. Easy enough mistake to make, he had 50 in his mind, the started thinking about the exact number, worked back to the 7, then his tongue got a little tied over what he was thinking.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #107 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlomedia View Post
 

 

Especially since he apologized multiple times.

 

 

It's a non story... but Samsung must be as happy as hell, wishing they could actually take credit for this fail by saying they set it up.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #108 of 139
Sounds to me that somebody didn't rehearse his speech before going on stage.
post #109 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


Well aren't there non-media consumers at CES?

 

Typically not since its not open to the general public. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #110 of 139
So what? This isn't Samsung Insider nor Michael Bay Insider...

Baysplosions!!!!

I don't care to read about this jerk on pages where it's relevant. Why must I read about him here?

And yeah, it doesn't seem like a "meltdown" to me. You're just trying to sensationalize it. Knock it off. Report what is, not what you want people to see.
post #111 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyteProsector View Post

The guy wasn't on his game for public speaking. The end.

People want to see the next train wreck so often that I think we sometimes blow things out of proportion. This didn't look like a "meltdown" to me. Just someone who was out of words with a prompter that yes, he messed up. Then got annoyed and embarrassed and walked off stage. I think the word meltdown is a little strong.

I agree, it wasn't a meltdown he just hadn't memorised his lines, he was going to rely on the teleprompter, then the teleprompter started playing up, so he wasn't able to continue.

post #112 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grudgeworthy View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBestMan View Post

Agreed - not sure how Apple-related this is.
.
Can you guys quit crying. It is apple related cause it's their main competitor. Is it a good article? No. But a little news here and there about the largest rival of apple at one of the largest shows of new tech is worthy of this site. Get over it

That, and the schadenfreude is priceless...:lol:

post #113 of 139

CES is the rest of the industry’s equivalent to Apple’s many keynotes. For that reason, I don’t find articles about the content of CES to be irrelevant here at all.

 

A new Samsung product is launched in the middle of the year? No article. Why would we care? 

A new Samsung product is being sued for copying Apple? Article. Absolutely we care.

 

But CES is fair game for all manner of articles in my book. Know thy enemy”, and hey, know thy allies, too.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #114 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Will you say that's a bad thing if Apple does the same thing? Saying that it's bad because other remotes don't work with it is not an argument. Who cares for universal remotes?

Yes, I would. You don't know me, and you don't seem to know Apple. Do you own an AppleTV? It's elegant, simple. Roku, Xbox and PS3 use similar 4-way cursor/select/back button UI. A "mouse-pointer controlled desktop UI" with functionality buried three menus deep is neither elegant, nor the solution to a problem anyone had on TVs. It's a total lack of imagination or care for TV UX.

On the universal remotes, a better term is programmable remotes. My dad had a dozen remotes and my mom can't figure out how to turn on and properly select inputs on the TV, receiver, and cable box to just watch TV, so I gave them a programmable Harmony-- which works great-- except his LG TV and LG bluray player which have functionality buried behind a menu and requires a cumbersome (and oddly different) "air mouse" remotes to aim a mouse pointer and open nested UI menus. Why? My comments aren't a knee-jerk reaction to something because LG or Samsung did it. I've used it, and its unnecessary and clunky, and make as much sense as Microsoft putting a "desktop" inside of a tablet like Surface RT.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #115 of 139
So this is apple news at all that Samsung can't do teleprompters right?
post #116 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Existing 50 plus Puerto Rico (which will become a state July 4 this year or Congress will need to be sued), Cuba, Sonora (present day Sonora and both Baja Californias), Chihuahua, Nuevo Leon (present day Nuevo Leon and Coahuila), Tamaulipas, and Columbia (present day British Columbia).
Where's the 58th he's planning on going to then?
post #117 of 139
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post
Where's the 58th he's planning on going to then?

 

I should hope Guyana. Once Puerto Rico becomes a state, I’d love to see their statehood movement ramp up.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #118 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

can't this guy just explain in his own words what he does? How hard can that be?

He said his job is that he:

- gets to dream for a living
- creates visual worlds beyond everyone's life experiences
- tries to take people on an emotional ride

but what about the curve Michael, how is the curve on the TV going to impact all that?

Michael Bay: 'excuse me, I'm sorry'

We'll never know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress 
I'd like to see if Apple uses a teleprompter

Teleprompter, my ass. No way Phil would call Batman the Black Knight if he had a teleprompter.
post #119 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

- tries to take people on an emotional ride.

I did shed a tear when I heard Megan Fox would not be in Transformers 3, but then jumped for joy when I saw the new girl.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #120 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I did shed a tear when I heard Megan Fox would not be in Transformers 3, but then jumped for joy when I saw the new girl.

But then you saw the movie.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Director Michael Bay's onstage meltdown steals the show at Samsung CES press event