or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Audi shows off 'Smart Display' Android-powered in-car tablet
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audi shows off 'Smart Display' Android-powered in-car tablet - Page 2

post #41 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2385amh View Post
 

 

 

quote-we-have-always-been-shameless-about-stealing-great-ideas-steve-jobs-240896.jpg

 

The key to that poster's quote... is "IDEAS" which is altogether different!

post #42 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fithian View Post

Goodbye Audi, Hello BMW.

Ooh the fickle hearted. Not long ago everyone was dissing BMW when AI reported this..

 

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/06/12/bmw-shuns-apples-ios-in-the-car-to-stick-with-its-own-technology

 

If your decision between BMW and Audi is based solely on support for IOS then you might as well buy a Camry.

post #43 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2385amh View Post
 

I think it's safe to assume that discussions with a biographer are not considered private.  (That's the whole reason his is interviewing you).  But I really don't care either way.  You may be right, I just don't see any compelling reason to believe he changed, or any real evidence.

 

In modern technology everyone is always stealing from everyone.  If you don't think that many of IOS7 features were heavily inspired by android and WebOS you are mistaken.     

Antivirus apps are more likely a result that people think their devices may be at risk.  This doesn't really speak to the reality of whether they are at risk.  To demonstrate this here is a link about the best OSX antiviruse according to the reviewer.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/best-free-antivirus-software-for-mac/ 

As we know OSX basically never gets viruses and the idea is exaggerated highly (as is the case with android I predict)

post #44 of 144
1) So is this an app you will need to download and install via Google Play or is this is a dedicated tablet you need to buy with your Audi?

2) Does this mean they will not also be including support for Apple's iOS in the Car standard?


edit: It looks like Audi at least had interest in iOSitC: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_in_the_Car#Car_manufacturers

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #45 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post
 

Reality says otherwise, Android has plenty of antivirus apps and they are popular. Here's one of them, AVG, a popular Android antivirus app that claims to have an installed user-base of over 100,000,000.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.antivirus

 

Review Snippets:

 
"This app is awesome it found bad setting and malware on my phone and all it took to remove it was a simple press of a button thanks AVG and keep it free cos that really helped me"
 

"Once I got this app, upon detecting 3 threats in three different apps, it made the process rate go much higher than usual."

 

"I found two threats immediately! On my android and follow directions easily to address the issue, this is by far the best ant-virus detector app out there!"

 

"Thanks to avg due to this my cel got protected from all types of viruses which would distroy all the savings done in my cel thanks a lot This is very nice to protect our cel from viruses."

 

Are you trying to tell me than an app is promoting itself and inflating it's claims to gain more installs?! No way that could be true. Go download a comprehensive scanner for your mac. It will find multiple "threats" just like the AVG for Android finds finds. None of them are anything remotely close to malware.

 

http://qz.com/131436/contrary-to-what-youve-heard-android-is-almost-impenetrable-to-malware/

post #46 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2385amh View Post
 

 

 

quote-we-have-always-been-shameless-about-stealing-great-ideas-steve-jobs-240896.jpg

 

 

Ideas are as bags of fertilizer. They provide the spark if one can see the genius in them and implement a means to utilize them. If not, they lay wasted in the recesses of history like so many great `ideas.'

 

The idea for a horseless carriage was considered a myth until it was manifested into reality. No one whines that someone `stole that idea' and therefore isn't original, yet you and those who find Steve's comment to Carte Blanche the man's vision as nothing but thievery really are pathetic.

post #47 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPilya View Post
 

 

The key to that poster's quote... is "IDEAS" which is altogether different!

what?  Do you think that Larry Page went down to apple headquarters and broke a window to steal physical items?  And if you are refurring to Oracle I believe if i'm not mistaken that Google won that case.

post #48 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2385amh View Post

what?  Do you think that Larry Page went down to apple headquarters and broke a window to steal physical items?  And if you are refurring to Oracle I believe if i'm not mistaken that Google won that case.

You can steal intellectual property without stealing a physical object. Cases in point: Android and Samsung.

You can steal an idea without stealing intellectual property: Cases in point: MS' WinPh7 and WebOS.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #49 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) So is this an app you will need to download and install via Google Play or is this is a dedicated tablet you need to buy with your Audi?

2) Does this mean they will not also be including support for Apple's iOS in the Car standard?

 

1) It's a separate tablet. I'm really confused by this. Not sure what's exactly going on.

2) Audi very well could be supporting both (unless Apple disallowed that in their T's and C's which is not unlikely) but honestly, I don't see iOS in the car catching on. Manufacturers want one system that will work with as many potential customers as possible. This is exactly why you don't see iPhone cables in cars anymore; you only see USB plugs.

 

Edit: This should help! http://nvidianews.nvidia.com/Releases/Audi-and-NVIDIA-Expand-Visual-Computing-in-the-Car-a90.aspx

post #50 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMacMan View Post



I only have one question, how much of the 75% android market share can afford an Audi? This past holiday season, the average iOS user spent $94 purchasing products from their device while the average Android user only spent $43.

 

 

Here's a sample of myself and my 6 closest friends...

 

Me: Nexus 5 drives BMW E90 M3 (100% owned)

Friend 1: Motorola Android something or other, BMW E90 328i (100% owned)

Friend 2: HTC One. Audi A4 3.2 (100% owned)

Friend 3: Nexus 5, Drives BMW E46 M3 (100% owned)

Friend 4: iPhone 4S, drives Toyota Tacoma. (Leased)

Friend 5: iPhone 5, drives a Ford POS truck (Leases)

Friend 6: iPhone 5S, drives a Toyota Echo (100% owned)

post #51 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2385amh View Post
 

what?  Do you think that Larry Page went down to apple headquarters and broke a window to steal physical items?  And if you are refurring to Oracle I believe if i'm not mistaken that Google won that case.

 

Again... stealing ideas... or simply taking ideas and running with them is not the issue. The issue is when a company is blatant about stealing, duplicating to the point of causing consumer confusion... I am talking more about hardware here... not so much about software.

 

we should not hijack this thread... (somewhat sorry to have provided a playful response)... but just want to say that you are moderately right in that Google won the patent phase. Google lost the copyright issues (I consider it development plagiarism) and was in deadlock over its fair use defence. 

post #52 of 144
Quote: yet you and those who find Steve's comment to Carte Blanche the man's vision as nothing but thievery really are pathetic.

I never said he wasn't a great man, inventor, or visionary.  I used that quote as a direct response to a post.  Please don't assume you know how I feel about Steve Jobs or his legacy.  I think he is a truly inspirational inventor and visionary who made the future change for all of us.  

 

I also feel that as I said everyone in technology uses each others ideas.  I just don't think its as big of a deal as some people make it out to be.  Android used java code.  It notified them and was congratulated by sun micosystems.  Not until Oracle bought them did this even become an issue.

 

I don't agree with the premise that google is a stolen product.  Now Samsung on the other hand does go a little to far in my opinion. 

post #53 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

Manufacturers want one system that will work with as many potential customers as possible. This is exactly why you don't see iPhone cables in cars anymore; you only see USB plugs.

1) Apple system isn't disallowing other systems from working.

2) The lack of the iPod cable in the glovebox isn't because they have all of a sudden said "hey, let's support more devices" it's because there are finally more devices to support with the smartphone. Remember this all started with the iPod, not the iPhone. The use of the USB plug is just a convenient standard once this became common enough to build into systems.

3) I don't expect iOSitC to be a failure but I would like to see a truly universal standard so that any mobile OS could connect to any car without either the mobile handset vendor or automotive maker having to do any deals to make it all work.



PS: I'd like to see in-dash systems to start using HiDPI, IPS displays. There is no reason a higher-end vehicle should allow the driver's eyes to be an arm's length from the console and still still pixelation.
Edited by SolipsismX - 1/7/14 at 3:28pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #54 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Here's a sample of myself and my 6 closest friends...

Me: Nexus 5 drives BMW E90 M3 (100% owned)
Friend 1: Motorola Android something or other, BMW E90 328i (100% owned)
Friend 2: HTC One. Audi A4 3.2 (100% owned)
Friend 3: Nexus 5, Drives BMW E46 M3 (100% owned)
Friend 4: iPhone 4S, drives Toyota Tacoma. (Leased)
Friend 5: iPhone 5, drives a Ford POS truck (Leases)
Friend 6: iPhone 5S, drives a Toyota Echo (100% owned)

Please read my reply to the post you quoted in which you'd find that your reply is a moot point.
PS I am so happy for you that you have a BMW M3 100% owned great car, and a lot of fun.

Peace.
post #55 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


1) Apple system isn't disallowing other systems from working.

2) The lack of the iPod cable in the glovebox isn't because they have all of a sudden said "hey, let's support more devices" it's because there are finally more devices to support with the smartphone. Remember this all started with the iPod, not the iPhone. The use of the USB plug is just a convenient standard once this became common enough to build into systems.

3) I don't expect iOSitC to be a failure but I would like to see a truly universal standard so that any mobile OS could connect to any car without either the mobile handset vendor or automotive maker having to do any deals to make it all work.


PS: I'd like to see in-dash systems to start using HiDPI, IPS displays. There is no reason a higher-end vehicle should allow the driver's eyes to be an arm's length from the console and still still pixelation.

 1) Do you really know this for a fact? Apple could easily include a line in their T's and C's to forbid cross-platform integration. I'm certainly not saying they did. I have no proof. Just a thought that they may have.

2) Very valid point. At the early time of iPods nothing else came close in market share. It made 100% sense to have an iPod connector. I agree with you.

3) I'm in 100% agreement with you. Honestly, I don't care who does it, but, we need a universal standard that works for all platforms. I'm fine with Apple being that who.

 

Even more than high quality screens, we need high quality graphics. Audi just showed us the tip of the iceberg. Exciting times we live in!

http://nvidianews.nvidia.com/Releases/Audi-and-NVIDIA-Expand-Visual-Computing-in-the-Car-a90.aspx

post #56 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2385amh View Post
 

Unless you knew him personally, please avoid making random guesses about his opinions and how much he changed.  Especially this wilderness period that you mention.

Unless you knew him personally you should stop making random guesses about the intent and place in life of the statement. The fact that you chose to use a quote that uses a picture  some thirty years later says a lot.  

post #57 of 144
AI is now in full clickbait mode.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #58 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by genovelle View Post
 

Unless you knew him personally you should stop making random guesses about the intent and place in life of the statement. The fact that you chose to use a quote that uses a picture  some thirty years later says a lot.  

You don't need to know a person to quote them.  However, the other person was posting what he thought Jobs thought and how he felt.  This information can't be gathered without knowing someone.

 

That's the difference, I don't need to know him to say what he actually said.  You do need to in order to speak to his personal feeling and life changes. 

 

I am trying to get back on the main topic as I was not intending to hijack the thread.

post #59 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMacMan View Post


I did Check my facts, no lies. First your article doesn't exist (tried the link) second here is the real story "facts" http://m.slashdot.org/story/188347

And by the way, I was at Blackhat because I am in the security business. No need for animosity, we're just having a discussion. Read the article. Withe regards to jail broken iPhones, I don't doubt the same problem exist because it becomes open source just like Android.

Peace.

 

My article is most certainly valid. Not sure why you are having issues. If you are, just Google it. And my source is the Washington post and you counter me with a forum post? Are you for real?

 

 

Edit: I read more of the comments posted. This was the widely published master key flaw that was quickly patched by Google. I was countering your lies about a malware Angry Birds. Way to try and change the subject on me.

Source: http://phys.org/news/2013-07-google-apk-nightmare-waiting-to-happen-patch-partners.html


Edited by NexusPhan - 1/7/14 at 4:01pm
post #60 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

 1) Do you really know this for a fact? Apple could easily include a line in their T's and C's to forbid cross-platform integration. I'm certainly not saying they did. I have no proof. Just a thought that they may have.

You're right, I have no explicitly stated proof but based on Apple's past efforts with car integration and how Phil Schiller presented the info at WWDC last Summer I would be very surprised if iOS in the Car requires automakers to not partner with any other mobile OS or mobile handset vendor and only allow iOS-based iDevices to connect. I'm not sure that would even be legal given the scope of this project.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #61 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2385amh View Post

That's the difference, I don't need to know him to say what he actually said.  You do need to in order to speak to his personal feeling and life changes.

I wasn't claiming to know his thoughts and feelings, only saying that a person can change, so quoting something from 30 years ago to determine what that person believes before they died or to insinuate and entire company's persona is flawed.
post #62 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

My article is most certainly valid. Not sure why you are having issues. If you are, just Google it. And my source is the Washington post and you counter me with a forum post? Are you for real?




Edit: I read more of the comments posted. This was the widely published master key flaw that was quickly patched by Google. I was countering your lies about a malware Angry Birds. Way to try and change the subject on me.

Can't cure stupid I guess. Go and enjoy you're evening.
post #63 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post
 

 

Are you trying to tell me than an app is promoting itself and inflating it's claims to gain more installs?!...

 

http://qz.com/131436/contrary-to-what-youve-heard-android-is-almost-impenetrable-to-malware/

Fair enough, even though qz.com is not a reliable tech source. I included the customer reviews to demonstrate real-life situations. AVG is a well-known anti-virus freeware and is also popular on Windows, it is a straight forward software with no inflated claims, if it doesn't find anything it tells you so. You can also read the reviews yourself, you'll find a few people in there who say that the software didn't find anything.

bb
Reply
bb
Reply
post #64 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMacMan View Post


Can't cure stupid I guess. Go and enjoy you're evening.

 

Argumentum ad hominem.

post #65 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post
 

Fair enough, even though qz.com is not a reliable tech source. I included the customer reviews to demonstrate real-life situations. AVG is a well-known anti-virus freeware and is also popular on Windows, it is a straight forward software with no inflated claims, if it doesn't find anything it tells you so. You can also read the reviews yourself, you'll find a few people in there who say that the software didn't find anything.

 

Terrible source, in fact. The link to Google's release is a good source but Google left out a lot of details so I used the terrible source. Poor showing on my part. I still don't trust anti-virus software. They are more malware than the malware! It's always finding "threats" on my parents iMac and I just think it's to keep my parents paying for it.

 

Edit: Link help. Oops. :P

http://goo.gl/7xZ4cd

post #66 of 144
last year i ordered my car based mostly on the compatibility with my iphone. that is how important it has become. it will get even more so. Audi going for the open-source platform? imagine the creativity of hackers and other jokers what they could do with your car.
They are 'scared' of the closed ecosystem... read they are scared for their profit-margins
because of apple being always in the middle. Now that all the GOOD brands choose apple, going
for the simple interface that everybody without reading a manual can use, they need to choose the other alliance... we are not at war here people..
this has nothing to do with fan madness or so, but purely on leave it please on the company that has it's focus on : it simply needs to work. keep it simple.
I always seen audi as a company that liked clean simple but effective design. well if they still are
this very company, choice should be obvious...
post #67 of 144

ok- as a mercedes benz automotive technician- malware is only a little troubling.

 

android will not be driving the audi, it will not be in control of anything related to driving.  the gas pedal will not press down and the doors lock while the brakes being cut.  malware may cause display issues (things malware can display like, "you are a tool"), may show a false reading (fuel tank, tire pressure...).

but the fuel gauge will not go away, and there might still be a tpm in the cluster and not in the audi/google display.  

Mercedes is already making their software more and more secure since people hacked into GM clusters to display funny words (and were not able to start or stop the engine, blinkers, alarm, brakes, accelerator pedal...).  It is quite doubtful that a hacker would spend the time to port malware into this "device" that can do much more than give false or no readings of tpm, fuel, etc., they would not be able to lock your doors and what not. Audi will most certainly be tying the knots to keep this secure.  To talk to the google side, more than likely, you will have to first talk to the Audi side first- and that will be a little harder for hackers to due since it is usually difficult to get the software outside of the dealer (and it costs several thousands).  

post #68 of 144
Be
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2385amh View Post


quote-we-have-always-been-shameless-about-stealing-great-ideas-steve-jobs-240896.jpg

The Beatles, She Came In Through The Bathroom Window, Abbey Road album - 'she would steal, but she could not rob.'

Context in which Jobs uttered said quote went along with 'good artists copy, great artists steal'.

Discuss this ad nauseam, I won't be part of it.
If you don't wanna understaaaaand the difference, I do.
post #69 of 144
or another fine choice might be the car's interface acts as a slave to my choice of phone. just a stupid screen.
post #70 of 144
Stultus est sicut stultus facit

Did you want to converse in Latin?
post #71 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMacMan View Post

Stultus est sicut stultus facit

Did you want to converse in Latin?

 

Thanks for proving me right :)

post #72 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMacMan View Post

This past holiday season, the average iOS user spent $94 purchasing products from their device while the average Android user only spent $43.

 

How much you wanna bet those prices were based on making identical purchases? A smart retailer knows to charge an Apple user twice as much as anyone else! Not only will (s)he pay it, (s)he'll argue that it's better because it cost more! :lol:

post #73 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2385amh View Post

I never said he wasn't a great man, inventor, or visionary.  I used that quote as a direct response to a post.  Please don't assume you know how I feel about Steve Jobs or his legacy.  I think he is a truly inspirational inventor and visionary who made the future change for all of us.  

I also feel that as I said everyone in technology uses each others ideas.  I just don't think its as big of a deal as some people make it out to be.  Android used java code.  It notified them and was congratulated by sun micosystems.  Not until Oracle bought them did this even become an issue.

I don't agree with the premise that google is a stolen product.  Now Samsung on the other hand does go a little to far in my opinion. 

Man I've read your posts until here and I must say I now consider you quite spineless.
No matter what you say I imagine you lie in a sofa goin' 'yeah! So whaaaaat! Android! Google! Yeah!' - all day.
Then - 'how do I put this into clever clueless words and bring it across to the common public in order to get my paycheck or personal satisfaction.
Well, you won't convince me.
Glad I don't have to live close to you.

Good day.
post #74 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

A lesser car company than VW, say BMW who had declining Quality and has a sinking brand image (within it's market segment) ...

 

Mind you, I have no idea about how this is perceived in the US. However, calling BMW a lesser car company than VW, is quite interesting, unless of course you're referring to plain size and amount of brands owned.

 

However, in their home country, those two brands do not even play in the same class. One might even start arguing whether Audi actually plays in the same class as BMW and Mercedes.

 

VW is a company. Brands OWNED by that company are: VW, Porsche, Audi, Lamborghini, Bugatti, SEAT, Skoda, Ducati, Bentley, Scania, MAN.

BMW as a company owns merely BMW, Mini, and Rolls Royce, but I think they don't even get to use Rolls Royce engines anymore, because they just bought the car brand, not the engine business, which is why e.g. Rolls Royce jet engines are NOT BMW products.

Audi competes with and surpasses BMW in just about every aspect, except for price. Bentley can more than hold up to Rolls Royce, Ducati beats BMW motorcycles in prestige at any given moment, and BMW has nothing to counter either Porsche/Lamborghini/Bugatti or Scania/MAN.

So, yes, BMW is the lesser company, in reach, breadth, depth, luxury appeal, racing success, in-house developed technology, etc. 

As if that weren't enough Bavarians I know (and they take their cars seriously and are local patriots with BMW (B in BMW standing for Bavaria)) who had driven 7-series exclusively for several decades, switched to VW Phaetons and then to a Mercedes S600, because they didn't like the decline in build quality of the BMW. (the switch from VW to Mercedes was simply because they couldn't get the Phaeton in the color they wanted within the time frame they wanted it, so no dissatisfaction with the car there...)

So I think this is pretty much a slam dunk case for anyone no blinded by brands and looking at the actual companies and their products.

Next time you see a 1000hp Bugatti on the street, remember it's a VW....

post #75 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

Thanks for proving me right 1smile.gif

Sure.
post #76 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post
 

Audi just chose to showcase their Android tablet (likely with some incentives) at CES. Audi isn't locking themselves into Android only, nor are they running Android in the actual vehicle systems.

 

Key thing which few people seem to focus on: the Audi tablet is what one would call "MIL-spec", i.e. designed to operate properly after having been left in the car on a cold Minnesota/Siberia winter night and continuing to work after having left baking inside the car in the desert sun in Death Valley. Have you ever bothered to look at the operating and non-operating temperature specs for the iPad? Not exactly designed for that sort of use.

The iPhone more than once shut down on me when driving and running navigation software, because it overheated being exposed to the sun on a suction cup windshield mount. Anyone really thinks Apple wants to increase the price (or decrease profit margins) by maybe $50 for each device they sell just to make them endure such temperature extremes? Or do you think Apple would license iOS to Audi for use in their custom designed hardware? Neither is likely, and it's the sort of reason why Apple's "we don't license our OS to third parties" stance will come to haunt them in the long term: there are plenty of special purpose applications that Apple doesn't cover and third parties can't cover because Apple doesn't license.

Apple should license their OS for embedded devices: cars, TVs, ATMs, etc. because just as Apple used to iPod/iPhone/iPad/iTunes to wedge themselves into the position they are in now, other companies will use embedded devices to wedge themselves into strong positions.

post #77 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

How much you wanna bet those prices were based on making identical purchases? A smart retailer knows to charge an Apple user twice as much as anyone else! Not only will (s)he pay it, (s)he'll argue that it's better because it cost more! lol.gif

Nothing, because as I stated, stats can be anything you want them to be. You can always start with the result you want then back into it. If you read the thread from the beginning you'd find that if you make even comparisons, there wouldn't be any difference. I really don't care who sold more. But if you're going to through numbers around. You can make your own. Please follow the post thread from the beginning and you'll learn that I wasn't advocating one is better than the other.

Peace.
post #78 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post
 
Android devices can be infected by malware without the user knowing it. 

 

So can iOS devices, just ask the NSA... That's why it's imperative that users have root access to their devices, and in absence thereof, they can root/jailbreak their devices, because that's the ONE defense vector they have against covert hacking: monitoring the system at a low level, something AppStore apps will never be able to do.

post #79 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfa View Post
 

 

So can iOS devices, just ask the NSA... That's why it's imperative that users have root access to their devices, and in absence thereof, they can root/jailbreak their devices, because that's the ONE defense vector they have against covert hacking: monitoring the system at a low level, something AppStore apps will never be able to do.

 

Yup. Security is a sacrifice made for customizing options, which is why a PC would have more issues than a locked-down UNIX-based Mac OS

post #80 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

AI is now in full clickbait mode.

These post battles between those who are level headed, those who are Apple fanatics and those who are Android fanatics amuse me.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Audi shows off 'Smart Display' Android-powered in-car tablet