or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung planning to one-up Apple's Touch ID with iris scanner in Galaxy S5

Samsung planning to one-up Apple's Touch ID with iris scanner in Galaxy S5 - Page 4

post #121 of 185
Originally Posted by 2385amh View Post
In the united states almost everyone that isn't homeless can easily buy a new high end device that is subsidized by a carrier.

Either with their own money or using their welfare money granted by everyone who actually works, sure.

post #122 of 185
@jungmark

Do you want please correct this one

"We call that evolution of technology.

No need to take off your finger from your ass hole to unlock your smartphone (finger print), just open you eyes (iris scanner). Their will be some frustrated ass hole. But we can not stop the evolution!

Since some were talking rectal..."

Thanks
post #123 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post

I quoted a relevant article here on the previous page:

It's perfectly possible to do something like this without needing to keep your head totally still or having to hold the phone in front of your face - just looking at the device would be enough. The main issue is miniaturization, which can be solved if Samsung invest enough money and time in the relevant R&D. Accuracy is another R&D issue, and price and complexity are lesser issues and can be mitigated somewhat if Samsung fabricated the relevant components themselves.

I am not sure where everyone is getting the idea that iris scanning takes some major breakthrough in technology. Sure, a system meant to scan a large number of people as they pass through an open area may cost a lot of money, but most of the costly components (lenses and tracking systems) wouldn't be necessary for a smartphone.

I finally found an article about Dr. Leonard Flom's work on iris scanning, although not the exact one I was wanting.

I am including an excerpt of the article ("Closing the Door on 
Iris Recognition Vulnerabilities") from http://www.afcea.org/content/?q=node/11607.

"For now, the solution to that challenge is to combine a scan of the mother’s iris with an image of the baby’s ear, Flom offers. This provides four different elements for a database: both of the mother’s eyes, and both of the newborn’s ears. This approach has been tested successfully in Israel, he relates, because the research requirements there were less sclerotic than in the United States.

This effort also demonstrated that any conventional off-the-shelf image capture device will work “We can use an iPhone, an iPad, even Google Glasses as well as any digital camera,” he observes."

To clarify, they used off-the-shelf (the other article that I read said iPhones, I believe, but I cannot find it again) image capture devices to do their research. The actual capture of the image doesn't require much if any change to what is in any smartphone today. What it will require is a fortification of the hardware end, like what Apple did for TouchID, and a fast algorithm.

Personally, I think that this as much as anything is why Samsung is pursuing iris scanner tech. It really doesn't require them to make any changes to implement it. Of course, there is a difference between implementing and implementing well.

post #124 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

If you wear gloves, you have to take them off. Samsung fans will argue like that.

No. You just need to manually login.
post #125 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd514 View Post

@jungmark

Do you want please correct this one

"We call that evolution of technology.

No need to take off your finger from your ass hole to unlock your smartphone (finger print), just open you eyes (iris scanner). Their will be some frustrated ass hole. But we can not stop the evolution!

Since some were talking rectal..."

Thanks

Sure, only Fandroids stick their fingers up their asses so they don't have a good Touch ID alternative to worry about.
post #126 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

...and a toothpick

It'll also include biometric data, reading your temperature while you're unlocking your phone :)

post #127 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Either with their own money or using their welfare money granted by everyone who actually works, sure.

True enough, but the point remains.

post #128 of 185
Imagine unlocking your Samsung phone with iris technology while driving. Could be dangerous
post #129 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2385amh View Post

I see, I mistook what you were saying then.  But here is a chart that shows just galaxy phones sales.  And we know that the best selling galaxy devices are the note and S series which are both as expensive or more so then the iphone.

I'm not comparing quality or my personal preference I am just being realistic.  Android as a whole sells more premium phones then apple does.  

galaxyunits031412-515x383.png%3Fhash%3DZwH3BQL2BQ%26upscale%3D1

this doesn't include any other devices, I assume adding in all devices from all manufactures and the chart would favor android.  Starting in 2012 with the s3 and note samsung alone is competitive with apple in terms of just units.

Edit: found better graph that included 2013

Note is more like a tablet

Galaxy and Galaxy2 are cheap phones.

And these are just estimates for Q4, which we just found out Samdung missed estimates big time.

In Nov2013 Samsung estimated 100,000,000 GalaxyS and Notes to be sold in 2013

http://www.androidheadlines.com/2013/11/samsung-expects-to-ship-over-100000000-galaxy-s-and-galaxy-note-phones-in-2013.html

Your graph shows 122,000,000 (which is an estimate)

Pretty sure they went under 100,000,000 becuase they missed earnings by about 20% for Dec.

Apple sold 150,000,000 iPhones in FY2013.  And probably 160,000,000 for calander year 2013

Edited by sog35 - 1/9/14 at 1:17pm
post #130 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Exactly this. If they can't successfully recognise a large face, what chance do they have with a small iris?

Easy, they recognize the eyeball with the logo burnt into it.

Of course, not many people will read the EULA about "iris burning waiver" -- but you know, it's a feature whether people want eyeball lasers or not.

post #131 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

I can count on one hand how many times Touch ID has actually worked for me in the last 2 months. It refuses to even scan my fingerprints now.

Well then, bring it to Apple to repair or replace because clearly it is BROKEN. 

I mean, really? Are people honestly this.... unclear.... about the obvious?

Or are you just trolling...?

post #132 of 185
Good idea in theory yet Samsung problem will be haft to be 3 inches from device, correct angle and will hold, and then work 10% of the time with anybody's eye, and of course question will be what was purpose?
post #133 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by mknopp View Post

Doable, but your contention that any old photo of a person's eye would fool an iris scanner is about two decades out of date.

Using an Iris Scanner that fits comfortably inside a smartphone?

Not yet, anyway.

post #134 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Note is more like a tablet

Galaxy and Galaxy2 are cheap phones.

And these are just estimates for Q4, which we just found out Samdung missed estimates big time.

In Nov2013 Samsung estimated 100,000,000 GalaxyS and Notes to be sold in 2013

http://www.androidheadlines.com/2013/11/samsung-expects-to-ship-over-100000000-galaxy-s-and-galaxy-note-phones-in-2013.html

Your graph shows 122,000,000 (which is an estimate)

Pretty sure they went under 100,000,000 becuase they missed earnings by about 20% for Dec.

Apple sold 150,000,000 iPhones in FY2013.  And probably 160,000,000 for calander year 2013

The note is a phone its literally about an inch larger then the 5S (while large it's nowhere near the size of a tablet such as the IpadMini)The older galaxy models are exactly the same as older Iphone models (which also count towards the totals).  And they make up a small percentage for both companies.  Also I never claimed that this graph showed Samsung single handedly outsold apple.  This was simply a response to an early post that alluded to the idea that android owners cant afford iphones.  This graph shows that many, even by your numbers 100,000,000 android owners can (as these phones cost about the same as an iphone).  

While not totaling the 140,000,000 iphones sold, this 100,000,000 plus all other high end android devices likely would surpass this amount.  And that was all I was showing.

post #135 of 185
Quote:

We call that evolution of technology.

No need to take off your finger from your ass hole to unlock your smartphone (finger print), just pull your head out (iris scanner). Their will be some frustrated ass hole. But we can not stop the evolution!

Since some were talking rectal...

There... i fixed it for you
post #136 of 185
There is a little bit of paranoia over here from Apple supporters who seems to be afraid of this new technology announced by a competitor, and I understand.

No, none of that is the case. You either can’t read sarcasm or don’t care enough to read what’s being written.

SOON, Apple will propose an other iPhone, thinner and lighter.

Since to always and only be thinner and lighter the iPhone will disappear eventually but some may ask for R&D.

Since to always write a sentence doesn’t into paid trolling on websites like pathetic coward.

post #137 of 185
Hacked S5 scans every eyeball in sight and sends biometric to the cloud for future reference.
post #138 of 185
@wetlander
Must people don't have this flexibility. Please exhibit and send the picture here for more credibility.
post #139 of 185
Perhaps if you quit burning your fingerprints off TouchID could work.
/s

Or

Mother always told you to wash your hands after...
post #140 of 185

Did anyone see "Demolition Man" (Stallone/Snipes)???  When the fingerprint sensor came out, people were totally freaking out that thieves would cut off your fingers to so they could unlock your phone.  NOW people will be scooping your eyeballs out?!?!  OH THE HORROR!!!:lol:

post #141 of 185

Apple's implementation just makes sense. You're going to touch that button anyway so why not use your fingerprint as the key? It's also a level of security appropriate with the type of access you're trying to grant. In a world where 50% of phones have no security at all it's definitely good enough. In terms of data retention storing your fingerprint in some form is not an invasion of privacy since the screen is already collecting fingerprints all day long.

Samsung has it all wrong. A retina scan is inconvenient, invasive and goes far beyond what's appropriate for a phone. Storing retina image data in phones is going to make it useless for securing important data because it will be too easy to obtain from targets. On the bright side it will force all three letter organizations to ban the use of Samsung phones and thus Samsung phones will only appear in American TV and movies as "bad guy" equipment.

post #142 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by mactoid View Post

Did anyone see "Demolition Man" (Stallone/Snipes)???  When the fingerprint sensor came out, people were totally freaking out that thieves would cut off your fingers to so they could unlock your phone.  NOW people will be scooping your eyeballs out?!?!  OH THE HORROR!!!lol.gif

Like in Angels and Demons?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #143 of 185

@DaveN: "Lets see... the phone rings while driving. Instead of putting my finger on the phone to answer, I have to cover my eye with the phone. Brilliant!@

Kind of a dumb argument in countries where it is illegal to use the phone while driving unless it is connected via a "Hands-Free" system. Where I live you are not permitted to touch the phone while driving. Something to do with safety I do believe.

Edited by Taniwha - 1/9/14 at 3:12pm
post #144 of 185

The last thing I want to do is shove a smartphone against my eyeball every time I want to use the smartphone. I am sure Apple considered and discarded the idea.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #145 of 185
I read about the possibilities to unlock the iPhone 5S with all part of the body. Did someone experiment that? No pictures please!
post #146 of 185

Were the implementation unobtrusive and it worked it's another option I suppose. But that would mean capturing enough iris scan detail at a normal viewing distance (maybe 18 inches or so?) to give a secure pattern ID for unlocking and that strikes me as a significant challenge. Basically the thing is going to have to grab an image of my entire face, locate an eye and then zoom in for the ID details.... tough nut to crack in something stuffed into a phone.

post #147 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

No you don't have to, but you have to move your finger over the screen of the phone but don't touch it to take/reject the call using Air Gesture...yep.

I'm trying to understand your point in context of either my message or the one I was responding to.  On a Samsung phone, which I don't have, can't you just answer the phone while driving using one of three (easier) techniques:  (1) press a hands-free button on your steering wheel using Bluetooth to answer the call, or (if your car is not so equipped) (2) answer by just raising the phone to your ear against your cheek, or (if your phone is not so equipped) just (3) press a button somewhere on your phone without looking at it and raise it to your ear?

If any of these three capabilities exist on your phone, then the person's comment that I was responding to made no sense.  If none of these capabilities exist on your phone, then your phone is lacking basic functionality.  If (worse) your phone wants to be so cool that the only way you can answer a call is by waving a finger over it with Air Gesture, then your phone is too stupid for words, bypassing basic functionality in favor of a "wow feature" that presents trouble in ordinary situations.

post #148 of 185
Will be interesting to see how well the technology works. More security is better, and if it's an easy, efficient experience, all the more so.

censored

censored

post #149 of 185
@jfc1138
For now in some application the Galaxy Note 3 is detecting the eyes movements and positions and scroll the page up or down as needed or wanted. That's already some of the work done. Doing this in all lighting condition.
post #150 of 185
Quote:

@jfc1138
For now in some application the Galaxy Note 3 is detecting the eyes movements and positions and scroll the page up or down as needed or wanted. That's already some of the work done. Doing this in all lighting condition.

Thanks, I did expect the real challenge would be posed by the detail level needed to be captured.

Having it unlock when you looked at it would be amusing...

post #151 of 185
I don't believe even one second that this will be present in their next Galaxy phone

1- Samsung is uncapable of doing something like that. You'd need a camera with a very high resolution capable of doing quickly a complex analysis. And it would need a light or wouldn't work in low light which takes me to

2- it's totally impractical. People don't always stare at their phone when they unlock it. They may have glasses, hair in front of their eyes, they may be looking somewhere else. They may just want to unlock it to give the phone to someone.

Another terrible idea. I'm pretty sure that not even Samsung will dare show something posed to fail like that.
post #152 of 185
The take home message from this is that Samsung mobile executives are so desperate to emulate the Apple rumour mill that they need to seed it themselves.
post #153 of 185
Quote:

I can count on one hand how many times Touch ID has actually worked for me in the last 2 months. It refuses to even scan my fingerprints now.

Did you try taking it back to Appl? Maybe you've got a faulty unit.
post #154 of 185
So no purchases with this anyway! You don't want to buy an app just because you are looking at the phone! FAIL

Oh and if there's someone from macrumors, let me tell you for once, **** your website that uses samsung fans as moderators.
post #155 of 185
Right now my phone is sitting on my desk next to my keyboard.

It's within arm's reach... but nowhere near my head. And it's certainly not in a suitable location to scan my iris.

How would Samsung handle that situation? Would I have to pick up my phone in order for it to scan my eyes? I'm sure I could put in my passcode... but that's exactly what I'd be trying to avoid.

Meanwhile... a gentle press-n-hold on the home button of my iPhone 5S and it opens lickety-split... as it remains on my desk.
post #156 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Right now my phone is sitting on my desk next to my keyboard.

It's within arm's reach... but nowhere near my head. And it's certainly not in a suitable location to scan my iris.

How would Samsung handle that situation? Would I have to pick up my phone in order for it to scan my eyes? I'm sure I could put in my passcode... but that's exactly what I'd be trying to avoid.

Meanwhile... a gentle press-n-hold on the home button of my iPhone 5S and it opens lickety-split... as it remains on my desk.

Maybe you bump it against your eyeball like S Beam.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #157 of 185
Quote:

@jfc1138
I should have know, you used to steal the technology, so you know nothing about creation process.

A competitor is developing a new technology, so in the process he will have to start from one point and have the process evolved until the goal is attained. What we see on the Galaxy Note is a creation in progress at one stage of developpement. At the end you can steal it an add it on an iPhone and say it's innovation.

We've got a real comedian here.

post #158 of 185
Well, they need to do something. But Apple's cornered the tech on the finger print scanner. And although iris scanning is a possibility, it might be too cumbersome. That Samsung exec's comments are just sooo... trying hard to make it seem like something big and relevant.
post #159 of 185
Quote:

Back it up and take it back to an Apple store, you obviously have a faulty phone and they will replace it on the spot.

Mine works well with five fingers, left and right thumbs and index fingers, right pinky for when I'm eating a hamburger.

The only time I've had issues is when my fingers are wet.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #160 of 185
Quote:

@jfc1138

I wear glasses and it is a useless gimmick on my Galaxy S4, it didn't take long to turn that sh*t off.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Samsung planning to one-up Apple's Touch ID with iris scanner in Galaxy S5
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung planning to one-up Apple's Touch ID with iris scanner in Galaxy S5