or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's domestic Mac sales surge 28.5% as overall PC market shrinks 7.5% [u]

Apple's domestic Mac sales surge 28.5% as overall PC market shrinks 7.5% [u]

post #1 of 96
U.S. Mac sales spiked 28.5 percent year over year in the just-concluded fourth quarter of calendar 2013, according to the latest figures from Gartner, giving Apple a 13.7 percent share of its home market while the rest of the industry continues to struggle.

Gartner U.S. PC shipments

Apple's nearly 30 percent year over year growth stood in contrast to the 7.5 percent drop that the overall PC market saw in the U.S. during the holiday quarter. Gartner's estimates suggest Apple shipped nearly 2.2 million Macs domestically in the December frame, giving it a 13.7 percent share and putting it in third place.

It was a much petter performance for Apple than a year ago, when the company accounted for just 9.9 percent of U.S. PC shipments. Apple's holiday 2012 quarter was marred by serious delays for its revamped iMac desktop, with most orders not shipping until early 2013.Apple's turnaround in the December quarter is significant, as the company has seen Mac shipments shrinking in recent quarters with consumers turning to alternative products like the iPad.

Apple's performance placed it behind only HP, which had a 26.5 percent estimated share and fell 10.3 percent, and Dell, which grew 7.4 percent year over year and represented 22.8 percent of the U.S. market.

Apple finished ahead of fourth-place Lenovo, according to Gartner, which grew 3.5 percent and held an estimated 9.7 percent share of shipments. In fifth place was Toshiba with an estimated 7.2 percent, off 13.9 percent year over year.

The biggest losses in the PC market came for vendors outside of the top five: They saw shipments fall an average of 30.4 percent in the quarter, Gartner's estimates suggest. Total U.S. PC shipments for the quarter were pegged at 15.8 million.

The figures are in line with data released last month by the NPD Group, which showed holiday Mac sales on pace to see a 29 percent year over year increase from the holiday 2012 quarter. The data also marks an important turnaround for Apple, as the company has seen Mac shipments shrinking in recent quarters, with consumers increasingly turning to more affordable and portable options like the iPad and competing tablets.

In the previous September quarter, Gartner pegged U.S. Mac sales with a 2.3 percent year over year drop. Competing research firm IDC had estimates that saw a more dramatic domestic slide of 11.2 percent.

Total Mac sales would prove to have been down 7 percent worldwide in the quarter, Apple announced weeks later. While sales were sliding, Apple was still outperforming the overall PC market, which saw sales drop 10 percent year over year in the September frame.

New 15-inch MacBook Pro

Unsurprisingly, Apple did not crack the top five estimated vendors on Gartner's worldwide data, so its global performance remains unknown. Total worldwide PC sales are forecast to have fallen 6.9 percent year over year in the December frame, according to the data released on Thursday.

Gartner's data shows Lenovo as the top worldwide PC vendor for the quarter, with an 18.1 percent market share. That's followed by HP (16.4 percent), Dell (11.8 percent), Acer Group (7.8 percent) and Asus (6.5 percent). Total worldwide PC shipments for the holidays are estimated at 82.6 million.

Update: Research firm IDC has also posted its preliminary numbers, which saw Apple lose 5.7 percent of its U.S. marketshare during the fourth quarter to fall to fourth place behind Lenovo. Apple's dropped 3.3 points year-over-year, but managed to hold on to its third-place spot.

IDC
Source: IDC

According to the firm, Lenovo and Dell were the only two companies to come away with positive growth in the U.S. for quarter four. Lenovo was also the only manufacturer to see full year gains.

IDC

Overall, IDC agreed that PC shipments fell during the quarter, though not at the same magnitude as Gartner's estimates. Worldwide, IDC saw PC shipments slump 5.6 percent, while the U.S. market dropped 1.6 percent year-to-year.
post #2 of 96
What's with the stupid pie charts. So basically everyone's numbers went up except "others", whoever that is.
post #3 of 96
Stop posting these positive stories, you're killing Apple's stock price!

Post some "end of the world" stories instead.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #4 of 96

Apple is DOOMED!!!!!! Tim Cook is running Apple into the ground!!! We need a real innovator running Apple!

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #5 of 96

Yet the stock market is again negative on Apple. The big rise in Mac sales surprises even me. Time I upgraded.

Oh yes, it's big funds playing their market games, just before Apple releases it's quarterly excellent financials!  ;)

post #6 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

Yet the stock market is again negative on Apple. The big rise in Mac sales surprises even me. Time I upgraded.

Oh yes, it's big funds playing their market games, just before Apple releases it's quarterly excellent financials!  ;)

its all about earnings growth.

In 2013 earnings growth went negative.  If they grow earnings in 2014 the stock will explode up.  And since 2013 targets were relatively low they should have no problem doing this.

Keep in mind Yearly options expire on 1/17/14 and MaxPain is at 545.  The market makers will try to keep it as close to that number as possible.  That's the only explanation why this stock dropped from $575-$536 the last two weeks even with the closing of the ChinaMobile deal.  Again if earnings grows 10-15% we will see $650-$700 in 2014.

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
post #7 of 96
Quote:

Oh yes, it's big funds playing their market games, just before Apple releases it's quarterly excellent financials!  1wink.gif

APPL and MSFT all tend to move up or down with each other. I don't think Apple is singled out for the most part. If you're not all that familiar with stock prices for some of the other techs as they relate to Apple take a look at MSFT, then check the boxes to compare to Apple.
https://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ:MSFT
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #8 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

What's with the stupid pie charts. So basically everyone's numbers went up except "others", whoever that is.

HP's share dropped from 27.3% to 26.5%

Dell's share increased from 19.7% to 22.8%

Apple's share increased from 9.9% to 13.7%

Lenovo's shared increased from 8.6% to 9.7%

Toshiba's share dropped from 7.8% to 7.2%

Entire market space dropped from 27.3% to 26.5%

post #9 of 96
Quote:

Mac sales don't count for hardly anything as far as Apple's revenue stream is concerned.  It's all about iPhone market share and Apple is losing that in huge amounts.  Apple shareholders will be lucky if Apple shares stay above $500.  Apple is a joke of an investment.  Google has a target price of around $1350 while Apple has a target price of around $590.  One stock will reach it and the other won't.  It's no secret that company with a CEO named Tim Cook is going repeat last year's share price fiasco.  There's absolutely no growth left in Apple as long as they try to gain market share against Android.  H-P is a wreck of a company but at least they're leading in PC sales.  Over the last 52 weeks H-P stock has nearly doubled while Apple went up 2%.  That's how poorly Wall Street thinks about Tim Cook's performance as a CEO.  Steve Jobs introduced the iPhone six years ago and it's fortunate he's not around to see his company being turned into an industry joke.

post #10 of 96

Time for some of that sweet stock buyback action.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #11 of 96
Add my two iMacs to the last quarter, last year was a blip due to the imac screwup & nothing else.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #12 of 96
Actually, Apple *did* crack the top 5 worldwide PC vendors:

With the iPad.
post #13 of 96
This is bad news right? Apple should exit the PC biz and give me more money because as a shareholder I own them. Those mac sales don't benefit me at all. I never see the $$$. As an Apple outsider, I inherently know more about Apple than the people that work there!! /s
post #14 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Mac sales don't count for hardly anything as far as Apple's revenue stream is concerned.  It's all about iPhone market share and Apple is losing that in huge amounts.  Apple shareholders will be lucky if Apple shares stay above $500.  Apple is a joke of an investment.  Google has a target price of around $1350 while Apple has a target price of around $590.  One stock will reach it and the other won't.  It's no secret that company with a CEO named Tim Cook is going repeat last year's share price fiasco.  There's absolutely no growth left in Apple as long as they try to gain market share against Android.  H-P is a wreck of a company but at least they're leading in PC sales.  Over the last 52 weeks H-P stock has nearly doubled while Apple went up 2%.  That's how poorly Wall Street thinks about Tim Cook's performance as a CEO.  Steve Jobs introduced the iPhone six years ago and it's fortunate he's not around to see his company being turned into an industry joke.

Short it it then...I dare you.  You won't because this is all just a lot of hot whiny air.

post #15 of 96
Quote:

You're high, right?

post #16 of 96
Quote:

I suggest you read the following articles before deciding that market share is the end-all and be-all of how successful Apple is in the smartphone / tablet space;

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/nov/07/android-market-share-smartphone-users-google-apple

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jan/09/market-share-smartphones-iphone-android-windows

Installed base is more important than market share.  

post #17 of 96

Wall Street does’t like a one trick pony with everything riding on a single product. That’s Apple right now. The company lives or dies with the iPhone. Remove the iPhone and Apple falls apart, period. Macs are irrelevant, iTunes is irrelevant , the iPod is irrelevant, the iPad is rising but not equal to the iPhone. Add up every other revenue stream Apple has and combined they don’t come close to the iPhone. The iPhone IS the company. As a rabid, blinders on Fanboy even I know this is cause for concern.

If the iPhone stumbles Apple hits the curb. Microsoft is in the same position you say? Yes, but their two trick pony (Windows and Office) is embedded in the fabric and DNA of the Enterprise. 

post #18 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Wall Street does’t like a one trick pony with everything riding on a single product. That’s Apple right now. The company lives or dies with the iPhone. Remove the iPhone and Apple falls apart, period. Macs are irrelevant, iTunes is irrelevant , the iPod is irrelevant, the iPad is rising but not equal to the iPhone. Add up every other revenue stream Apple has and combined they don’t come close to the iPhone. The iPhone IS the company. As a rabid, blinders on Fanboy even I know this is cause for concern.

If the iPhone stumbles Apple hits the curb. Microsoft is in the same position you say? Yes, but their two trick pony (Windows and Office) is embedded in the fabric and DNA of the Enterprise. 

I do agree with your characterization of Wall Street's beliefs. These beliefs are asinine, though. This is the most undervalued stock ever. 

A "one trick pony"? Dude, Apple has been delivering hit after hit since 2001. And it just signed with China Mobile. Macs, iTunes, and iPads fuel each other's sales. This is what we call an "ecosystem." 

Apple innovates to perfection, not gimmickry, and its recent acquisitions and hires are all hinting that Apple is on track with its creation cycle. Six years between iPod and iPhone, three years between iPhone and iPad.

Like I tell my co-workers, I'll see you at $1,000, sir. I make money off Wall Street's bears.

post #19 of 96
Quote:

Not sure if that is 100% true, google is a one trick pony, "ads" yeah they play in other areas and lose money at it, "motorola" for the most part all the income is coming from ad. Price line is the same way and Netflix, the only one who is a little diversified in Amazon, but the are a retailer but have lots of revenue streams but loose money as well.

post #20 of 96

Obviously Apple is doomed.

post #21 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgt008 View Post

Quote:

You're high, right?

He's low. But bought high, and we get to suffer in every thread. That's Odo for you there. Welcome to the forum.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
post #22 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

He's low. But bought high, and we get to suffer in every thread. That's Odo for you there. Welcome to the forum.

Hahahaha, happy to be here! I'll be on the look out for these short-sighted bears.

post #23 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Not sure if that is 100% true, google is a one trick pony, "ads" yeah they play in other areas and lose money at it, "motorola" for the most part all the income is coming from ad. Price line is the same way and Netflix, the only one who is a little diversified in Amazon, but the are a retailer but have lots of revenue streams but loose money as well.

Wall Street understand advertising. Amazon loses money because they want to. Bezos plows every dollar of profit back into the company and Wall Street understands that. They don’t understand Apple, never have, and never will. Apple doesn’t play by their rules. Investors are there to make money, not agree or disagree with the corporate culture, motives, ethics, vision, mission, etc. Investors make money when the stock price rises and dividends are high. AAPL has been trading in a narrow range almost all of 2013. No money to be made there... for an investor. AT&T trades within a narrow margin too but pays very good dividends.

Look, I agree that Apple is unique, makes excellent products that people like to buy, has always been the innovator the rest of the world looks to for what the future holds. Sales are rising, market share is declining, margins and profits are the envy of the tech industry, Apple is firing on all cylinders. Wall Street has always been about what can you do for me right now.” How can you reward me with money this instant.

Edited by lkrupp - 1/9/14 at 3:12pm
post #24 of 96

And they haven't even started counting Mac Pro sales. That Q1 revenue boost will make the Mac dept look pretty darn good.

post #25 of 96

"Apple's domestic Mac sales surge 28.5% "

Ought to be good for knocking another $10 off the stock price.  :(

post #26 of 96

Very different story from IDC though? Am I missing something?

post #27 of 96
Quote:

You're high, right?

More likely a mine filled with ignorance and hate.
post #28 of 96
I
Quote:

Wall Street understand advertising. Amazon loses money because they want to. Bezos plows every dollar of profit back into the company and Wall Street understands that. They don’t understand Apple, never have, and never will. Apple doesn’t play by their rules. Investors are there to make money, not agree or disagree with the corporate culture, motives, ethics, vision, mission, etc. Investors make money when the stock price rises and dividends are high. AAPL has been trading in a narrow range almost all of 2013. No money to be made there... for an investor. AT&T trades within a narrow margin too but pays very good dividends.

Look, I agree that Apple is unique, makes excellent products that people like to buy, has always been the innovator the rest of the world looks to for what the future holds. Sales are rising, market share is declining, margins and profits are the envy of the tech industry, Apple is firing on all cylinders. Wall Street has always been about what can you do for me right now.” How can you reward me with money this instant.

I agree. And the stock price doesn't matter that much anyway. The news doesn't report on ANY company's stock prices because we all know it's a sideshow, going up and down constantly. The only time Apple's stock prices made news was when they beat Microsoft for the first time and when they became the most valuable company in the world. It's not like every time Apple stock dips, everyone thinks apple is history. That's just a few die hard android fans and tech blogs, very few. The ones who have the time and energy to go through an Apple lovers site to try an upset people are the few who really care. Most of them are probably posting from their parents basement 24/7. Apples stock is very high. Wall Street doesn't hate apple, apple is actually doing well. We just want to see apple grow grow grow, and we're never happy when the stock is standing still. As high as it is, I can still see the stock rising more. But tim doesn't need to sell more stocks, he doesn't need more capital, he doesn't even need to care about shareholders. If he did, he'd never please them anyways. I say, ignore the stock prices. We know what a great job apple is doing, and if they keep doing their thing, the stock will keep going up anyway. And the reason Wall Street doesn't understand apple is because apple has principles and Wall Street has absolutely none. Apples design and ethical principles can simultaneously earn fans and confuse the investors.
post #29 of 96
Quote:

H-P is a wreck of a company but at least they're leading in PC sales.  Over the last 52 weeks H-P stock has nearly doubled while Apple went up 2%.  That's how poorly Wall Street thinks about Tim Cook's performance as a CEO.  Steve Jobs introduced the iPhone six years ago and it's fortunate he's not around to see his company being turned into an industry joke.

Yeah, Wall Street has only valued Apple at over 9x the value of HP (the largest PC manufacturer in the world). Why not 13x? Pitiful. Tim needs to be replaced with the CEO of HP in order to reach that lofty 1/9th value, then all the shareholders will be over the moon.
post #30 of 96
And it will get even smaller. So tell MS to get ready for hell!
Oh and I was in Best Buy the other day and saw those chrome books. OMFG! What pieces of stinking piles of horse sh**!
Cheap build quality to the nth degree. It is a goddamn gimmick by those clown at Google. You are essentially paying $300.00 for Google's search engine. Period. But hey, it helps get that stock(over valued IMHO) up.
post #31 of 96
Quote:

Why can't you be reasonable? I don't think your posts have always been so curmudgeonly odious. What's up with you, Odo?

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #32 of 96
Wait. Dell GREW?
post #33 of 96
Just add Odo to your block list. He rarely replies to anyone. I bet he's a Sammy drone.
post #34 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

Wait. Dell GREW?

1) Good for them. Risky move to go private but what they were doing certainly wasn't working for them.

2) I assume these are business sales. I see neither used or new Dells in the consumer space but I have installed a couple dozen Dell servers this past year. These were towers that are running Windows Server 2008 not racks or blades. Of course my comments are anecdotal and it could all be in the consumer space so take them with a grain of salt.

post #35 of 96
Quote:

Very different story from IDC though? Am I missing something?
IDC are full of sh#^
post #36 of 96

This should be good for another 2% selloff in the stock the way this stock is trading.

post #37 of 96
Quote:

Wow, you really know absolutely nothing.

post #38 of 96
Quote:

I see.   And what exactly happens to Google when you remove search?  Aren't they a one trick pony?  What about removing PC sales from or Dell?  What happens to them?  You're point is stupid.  

post #39 of 96
Quote:

Apple is losing iPhone market share? Tim SHOULD really be fired then.

post #40 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Baker View Post

I see.   And what exactly happens to Google when you remove search?  Aren't they a one trick pony?  What about removing PC sales from or Dell?  What happens to them?  You're point is stupid.  

All of Google's revenue come from search advertising, but they have no competition (I am not sure what their market share is, but it is probably in the 70% range at the very least). Dell is a PC company, but a consumer laptop is not really viewed as being in the same space as a server, and a monitor is not the same as either one of the two, so this analogy is specious.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's domestic Mac sales surge 28.5% as overall PC market shrinks 7.5% [u]