or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Siri does not work when talking directly to phone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Siri does not work when talking directly to phone

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 

Hi Apple community! Hope you all had a great couple of holidays. I have been plagued with an issue thats beginning to drive me nuts. When I use Siri, like many of the Apple commercials have shown (holding down home button, she activates, I talk to the phone, get answers, win the internet), my Siri times out. In fact, the wavy line that shows she is listening/recording my question never moves. It simply times out.

 

I CAN however use it perfectly IF, and only IF I have a headset w/mic [read: earpods] plugged in. I have only tried the Apple EarPods, but assume all other headsets with inline mic work also (provided they are iPhone compatible).

 

Any suggestions out there? I just went into Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings.. No luck

Turned Siri Off, turned her back on. Reset Phone. Turned Siri Off, reset phone, turned Siri back on. No Luck. :(

post #2 of 7

Almost seems as if it thinks the headphone jack is still plugged in ... it's trying to listen through the headset mic rather than the built-in mic.  It shouldn't happen when the headset isn't plugged in... could something have gotten into the headset socket that is disturbing the contacts in there?

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post
 

Almost seems as if it thinks the headphone jack is still plugged in ... it's trying to listen through the headset mic rather than the built-in mic.  It shouldn't happen when the headset isn't plugged in... could something have gotten into the headset socket that is disturbing the contacts in there?

 

And if that's the case, then the microphone will presumably not work for any application, such as making a phone call.

post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post
 

 

And if that's the case, then the microphone will presumably not work for any application, such as making a phone call.

Agreed ... he should check that! (I know my kids almost NEVER use their "phone" for voice-calls ... :) )

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post
 

Almost seems as if it thinks the headphone jack is still plugged in ... it's trying to listen through the headset mic rather than the built-in mic.  It shouldn't happen when the headset isn't plugged in... could something have gotten into the headset socket that is disturbing the contacts in there?

 

I just got done cleaning the headset jack with a Qtip, it works intermittently; The microphone when Siri is turned on is slow to start listening. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post
 

 

And if that's the case, then the microphone will presumably not work for any application, such as making a phone call.

 

 

Phone calls work just fine as far as I've been told. The headset w/mic works fine for calls and immediate Siri.

 

What I DONT want to do is completely reload the phone; I hope that's not one of my troubleshooting steps :D

post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post
 

Almost seems as if it thinks the headphone jack is still plugged in ... it's trying to listen through the headset mic rather than the built-in mic.  It shouldn't happen when the headset isn't plugged in... could something have gotten into the headset socket that is disturbing the contacts in there?

 

I just got done cleaning the headset jack with a Qtip, it works intermittently; The microphone when Siri is turned on is slow to start listening. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post
 

 

And if that's the case, then the microphone will presumably not work for any application, such as making a phone call.

 

 

Phone calls work just fine as far as I've been told. The headset w/mic works fine for calls and immediate Siri.

 

What I DONT want to do is completely reload the phone; I hope that's not one of my troubleshooting steps :D

 

If cleaning the headphone socket makes a difference, then that suggests that it is the problem. On the other hand, if phone calls work fine without using the headset, then that tends to rule it out as the problem. Those observations are contradictory. You really need to make a call (not with the headset) and get confirmation that you are loud and clear, and then, if so, hang up and try Siri. If Siri still can't hear you then something odd is going on.

 

Not sure whether you are using Siri in speakerphone mode or with the phone to your ear, but you could also try turning off the noise-cancelling function by putting the phone into "Hearing Aid Mode" - Settings: General: Accessibility: Hearing Aids: Hearing Aid Mode On. There have been some reports of noise canceling inappropriately operating in speakerphone mode in iOS 7.

post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

If cleaning the headphone socket makes a difference, then that suggests that it is the problem.
Cleaned it, no difference was made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

On the other hand, if phone calls work fine without using the headset, then that tends to rule it out as the problem.
Just did a voice memo on speakerphone and it worked flawlessly. Sounded good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post


Not sure whether you are using Siri in speakerphone mode or with the phone to your ear, but you could also try turning off the noise-cancelling function by putting the phone into "Hearing Aid Mode" - Settings: General: Accessibility: Hearing Aids: Hearing Aid Mode On. There have been some reports of noise canceling inappropriately operating in speakerphone mode in iOS 7.

Preliminary tests using this setting seem to get the microphone activated quicker. May mess with this some in the future. Thank you for the suggestion. I just wish I could pinpoint what I changed, if anything, on the phone that caused the Siri speakerphone microphone to respond intermittently.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Siri does not work when talking directly to phone